New to Ubuntu

Top useful software packages to install on my new Thinkpad Ubuntu installation (useful for software developers)?

Attached: ubuntuhero.jpg (620x485, 30K)

install gentoo

Just want something that works (to an extent), don't wanna have to stress to get the basic things working like on Arch

it already comes with a lot of packages pre-installed.
I've just had to install python, go and some libraries so far.

A text editor. Vim, preferably. Terminator is super nice along with Vim. Um, other than that, I really don't know. "Software developer" is a huge category. Are you building mobile applications? Websites? I don't think you're a software developer simply because you're asking us what to install. You're probably just learning. Install what you need. We can't really help you.

Thanks for the Terminator suggestion. Web applications: mainly Node, PHP, and Python. Using VS Code as my editor.

Well, obviously you'll need Node/NPM installed, PHP. Python is (should be) already installed for you.
For VSCode, here's a little list of some add-ons to install:
* Prettier
* Bracket-Pair colorizer
* Eslint
* npm intellisense
Terminator is nice to have open for DB connection and server alongside each other. Or you can straight up write code with it/Vim.

Just install shit when you need to.
Not really, it's something like 200 or 300, if I remember correctly.
Unless you installed some sort of DE during the initial setup, that is.

Alright thanks bro. Guess I'm just looking for what other people use. I've always used Windows for programming but got a new laptop and thought I'd give Ubuntu a go. Might switch to Cent OS to match what I use for servers though will see how it goes.

unity

Looked it up, think I like Gnome better

Unity was good when Compiz, etc. were still going strong. Nowadays it's shit. Stick with GNOME while you get a feel for things, then branch out.

As for software, install the build-essential group (sudo apt install build-essential), which will give you compilers and other goodies.

>build-essentials
>vim
>valgrind

Scrcpy to cast phone screen to computer using adb

Install KDE

Fedora Silverblue

Install xubuntu instead

fpbp

2-6 years.

Minicom

Install niggerware+. I didn’t believe it at first but it actually does what they say it does

git, make

Serious.

The ones you need. If you don't know what you need, then you don't need it.

tlp acpi-call-dkm