Will we ever see new CRTs produced again?

Will we ever see new CRTs produced again?

Attached: 8883483878838333.jpg (600x800, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsMsZaSz3Fk
youtube.com/watch?v=X68Mm_kYRjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, never. Linux Torwalds taught me this in a youtube video.

Did they ever produce ones that weren't 4:3?

5:4

the main uses for crt are retro and those people prefer using actual retro devices, for high performance settings there are other better alternatives

in very small quantities perhaps but it's not likely
it's a lot more realistic to have emulation for the features that would make owning them desirable
>nes duckhunt compatibility

If CRT autists had to put up with the shit people actually used back in the day they wouldn't want new ones produced

They did 16:9 but they where not cheap at all

1080p

Attached: 085BCD22-F93B-4C18-80E1-608F3B8BA410.jpg (938x707, 110K)

most actual crt autists are boomers

They still make new ones in China and India, but they're 90s Korean 13" TV tier.

This damn thing was almost 10 grand in the 90s

1080p, really? CRTs tend to go by aspect ratio more than hard coded resolution though.

I want the variable resolution and black levels back. I ain't even old.

Attached: 1549243990492.png (977x722, 767K)

yes
no

Based.

Attached: Dn8rQ_xXUAE7Ygr.jpg (1366x1024, 138K)

>I ain't even old.
I guess than means you aren't aware that most CRTs don't even produce true blacks
If you want to use one in a room that isn't pitch black you might have to turn the brightness up which demolishes the contrast ratio

Never had any problem with it. They do produce true blacks, you're just choosing to configure it so they don't.

I guess you wouldn't using a broadcast monitor that probably cost several grand back in the day

Nigga that's a widely posted image, are you new? Nearly every CRT I've used let you get black levels equivalent to the thing being off at or just below midway on the brightness scale. It sounds like you've never used one.

>They did 16:9 but they where not cheap at all
i had a used one (grundig) in my first apartement back in 2007. comfy, but it broke after two years and i replaced it with the bravia i still use to this day.

The problem of using light guns and pens on flat panels isn't resolved yet. Until then...

I had a 16:9 Sony one
It weighed like 60 kgs

they have a fixed number of scanlines dont they?

If you count TVs rather than monitors, 16:9 CRTs were common in Europe.

Lol CTRs don't have ang value like nixie tubes

I have used a few, my old IBM P275 was great (other than minor convergence issues) but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that all of them where great because all the other low end shit I've dealt with otherwise was garbage

Everyone who sings the praises of CRTs only do so because they have access to cheap high-end sets or PVMs, if they used what was actually available or paid in full for those displays they wouldn't be so quick to say how great they were

My old IBM retailed for like $990 back in 2001 that's way more than what most would be willing to pay for a monitor today so it's expected that it still kinda holds up today

Even the R@REst gems only go for a tiny fraction of what they cost from new when they were mass produced. There is no way you could start up production now and make money on them.
youtube.com/watch?v=MsMsZaSz3Fk
They most likely stumbled upon a big warehouse of old tubes.
The ANSI/intrascene contrast is shit though.
>They do produce true blacks
They do not. No one, except literal retards, ever claimed they did.
>you're just choosing to configure it so they don't.
Ah yes, I'm choosing to correctly adjust my monitors/TVs to display the actual content of the signal instead of striving for that perfect fade to black.

Certainly there was shit out there, but plenty of the consumer grade tubes I've picked up from thrift stores are quite good. I'm talking mainly about monitors though.

that's a big monitor

Attached: 1454203650446.png (722x941, 99K)

I would hope that one day the whole copyright dispute with SED's get solved so we can get some proper monitors

SED is infeasible. It's like plasma but worse in every way.

>
My Cineos 32pw8422
>16:9
>Hdmi
>1080i and 720p

Attached: 32PW8422_77-IMS-es_AR.png (640x400, 163K)

Input lag and displays 480i at 540p with deinterlacing

Someone explain this esoteric meme to me, I find this picture dazzling and powerful but I cannot figure the meaning behind it

what the actual fuck is that

youtube.com/watch?v=X68Mm_kYRjc

>turns on crt

Attached: Painful-Ears.jpg (500x334, 148K)

will we ever see horses and carts all over the roads?

I don't hear it anymore.

Attached: 241515.jpg (633x758, 157K)

John carmack

Where is the fuckhuge CRT?

willing to buy a 16:10 CRT monitor

zoom zoom

I can hear the crackling static sound as I move my arm close to the screen and the hairs on it touch the glass

>touch the glass
>touch ground
>turn crt on

This, and I fucking love it

>put ear close to the screen
>*sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

My tinnitus has almost the same frequency

Lmoa, same.

Me too.

Attached: 1449850430145.png (540x429, 264K)

At times annoying, and at ties relaxing

I have the same problem. I don't know how fucking boomers can stand this shit.

Once you're old you don't hear high frequencies anymore.
Also if you have a CRT monitor you can set a higher refresh rate and then you will definetly not hear anything because the frequency goes above human hearing.

Good CRTs dampen coil whine in various ways or have no coil whine at all.

I would pay many thousands of dollars for a ~24" 1920x1200 CRT that can do ~120hz. Fuck, I'd actually buy more than one.

It used to annoy me as a kid. Now it doesn't, but I can still hear it. Probably because of this My trinitron seems to be louder than my B&O for what it's worth.

>1080p
*1080i
fixed that for you

If you live in Amish country you sure do.

Why's he have a morse code key by his mouse pad?

the master himself, John Carmack

kek. It was the 90's man. John Carmack is so good he can code in binary.
jk I think it's a microphone.

Attached: carmack.png (500x685, 142K)

>Sony

The GDM-FW900?

Best gaming monitor ever made (still holds to this day)

Attached: 300_sony_gdm-fw900_flat_widescreen_24_fd_trinitron_crt_monitor_la_verne_22578665.jpg (424x318, 73K)

most high-end CRTs were easily QXGA capable, people just don't remember them because everyone scraped the bottom of the barrel back then with SVGA trash that blurred like shit at anything over 1024x768

God willing.

That's only an issue at 240i

Nope, there's no economic incentive for countires that don't care about heavy metal pollution. The countries that do care have completely made CRTs forbidden to make.

>mfw someone films his vintage computer and the microphone is so good it picks up the high frequency CRT whine when he turns it on and you can actually hear it clearly

blast from the past

Attached: INSTANT_.png (305x334, 124K)

Sorry, the GDM-FW900 has already been best by current generation of gayming CRTs.

It is a relic of its era.

I have lived through the golden years of CRTs. Trust me, LCDs, OLEDs and other emerging displays have surpass CRTs in every practical way. The whole input lag argument is just a cover for human frailty unless you got malfunctioning hardware/software.

>the GDM-FW900 has already been best by current generation of gayming CRTs.
>by current generation of gayming CRTs.

Attached: 135876989754.gif (248x260, 1.64M)

Nope, the beam is controlled by the GPU.
They have a fixed number of mask/grille holes though, which are not pixels.

CRTs didn't have variable resolutions, they always had a resolution they displayed the best depending on the grid of the mask/grille.
CRTs almost never had true blacks, even on higher end ones, you had to give up almost any brightness to get even close in a dark room.

It's obvious you're not old.

>CRTs almost never had true blacks
Wrong.

The FW900 was dogshit as far as CRTs went, Sony had to give up a lot what made CRTs good to be able to make them widescreen.
There are literally older/cheaper (even at the time) Sony CRTs that are miles better when it comes to picture quality, geometry, resolution and refresh rate than the FW900.

Even though it was bundled with some graphic workstations, the same workstations had higher end options with 4:3 very high pitch shadowmask CRTs.

You just saying stuff to someone who had owned and still owns five dozen CRTs from consumer to professional doesn't make them believe it.

>get a monitor, 1280x800
>super sample by 1.5
>???
>profit

Damn fellas, I have a 1080i/720p 16:9 CRT, with DVI ports, and component ports. It even has a filter that makes the CRT not whine when it turns on. Not to mention a menu with GUIs