400w 56core

>400w 56core
Intel what the fuck are you doing?

Attached: Intel 9200 launch.png (728x1060, 533K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6188851
youtube.com/watch?v=CCCwIfrTo0Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Meeting a market need, presumably.

>Intel what the fuck are you doing?
they're shooting themselves in the foot
there are zero hyperscalers or HPCs that will be willingly switching to intel except those stuck in contract
there are NO datacenters that will reconfigure their entire grid and add WATERCOOLING to their racks when they could just use rome for far less cost of ownership

The watercooling thing was pretty funny.

not just water, it needs chilled water

Oddly I heard there was going to be a socketed version, which sounds like 70 kinds of bad idea.

I guess it's power users with very cold houses

Wait, for real? Where was that spec'd? None of the images I saw made the tubes look insulated enought for that. :|

Once you have a cooling loop that's not that much of a leap.

Brainlet question but could these things be air cooled? Wouldn't server fans push enough wair to cool it? I've seen pictures of the 9282 with just the standard server air cooler

not for power consumption

ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6188851

I doubt it. Maybe with some like.. NASA-teir heatpipe vapor chamber monstrosity, but without something rapidly moving the heat away from the source I think 400W is just too much load for any standard metal sink to handle.

It'd be really rough. Normal chips are less than a quarter of this.
That's already out the window. You wouldn't use these for efficient compute.

Building for x64 compute density. For the "we have [x] rack units and need as much power as money can buy in there". These things on single thread still beat Epyc and someone somewhere has that use case; and will pay for it.

I'd like to see proof of it not thermal throttling like that. Intel's public demo at ISC 2019 sure wasn't air cooled.

so in other words nobody would use them at all. efficiency eventually matters at some point in every application

>half the rack filled with chillers
>compute density

Sometimes it's response time. Like the financial industry with hft. But I'm sure they have other factors to favor with their constraints.

This really is niche yeah.

>we have a problem that's benefits from many powerful computers in a small space
>we're making our purchasing decisions based on single thread performance
No you're not.

Investor/PR showpiece. It is not meant for serious mass production. I'm be surprised if Intel made over 10,000 units total. Just enough to satisfy contracts.

It is only good for raw AVX512 performance no matter the cost (very, very tiny market).

Wrong, they are already inferior to Zen2 at single-threaded performance in the overwhelming majority of workloads. They only shine when AVX512 but any sane sysadmin will opt for single-chip Cacade Lake versions due to thermal/power efficiency considerations.

Another paper launch PR stunt. Nobody actually buys these. They basically donated them to HLRN-IV in another PR stunt.

I'm still not seeing anywhere that mentions chillers my dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=CCCwIfrTo0Q

They need a CHx80 for 2 servers lmao

Huh. Shit on me. Welp.
If they don't believe it will run without it in demo that is concerning.

Intel is irrecoverably pozzfired.

Attached: image.jpg (1411x763, 154K)

DOA in the enterprise world. The cooling requirements alone at maximum load completely kills it and doesn't save on density. It is cheaper (TCO) to get lesser single-die Casade Lake parts if your workload is AVX512 depended.

What if I cool my processor with ice instead of cold water?

How make Lakes does Intel have at this point?

they're renewing the heaters market. so brave

>data centers need house fires too

400W in a small space is not fun

Every time they release a new CPU another iceberg melts and creates a new lake.

You’re anti-semitic if you don’t buy Intel

Dude just glue together two dies that consume 450W each under load on a single package lmao, AMD btfo!

HAHAHA

Attached: firelake.jpg (608x369, 106K)

It exists solely for benchmarks. No one is going to actually use it.
Intel desperately tried to match Epic 2 and still lost miserably.

>This is their response
Holy shit are they on the ropes.

>L-look i-it's technically a single socket that competes with roam.
Amazing.

Attached: 1529591198025.jpg (499x374, 30K)

>roam
Fuck you auto correct.

>Meeting a market need, presumably.
yeah market defineatly needs more housefires and serverfires
inlets deserve this

Dumb phoneposter.

Trying to save their contracts

Apparently Intel is trying to disrupt the Solar and Fusion markets by directly competing with the fucking Sun.

The market is already full

Attached: space heater.jpg (1068x1600, 220K)

yeah 400w PER GLUED-DIE if anything.

>has less cores than the equivalent AMD one
>uses almost twice as much energy
TOPKEK

Yeah, I like setting my datacenter on fire.

This is absolutely a desperation move to make it look like they haven't completely lost to AMD (they have). Shareholders would murder them otherwise.

"uh" "um" "uuhhh" "UHHHH"
lmao

on top of everything you need 1.5horsepower to chill it down and still getting btfo by the competition

Being pozzed housefire as usual

>400w
>400w
>400w
>400w

Attached: 1564243276699.png (1326x700, 64K)

Saved

>MCM two die come together
When AMD did this it was called
>glued together
Absolute pottery. Ironic considering for the longest time Intel wouldn't even acknowledge AMD's existence and even called them "imitators". Whom'st'd've is imitating whom'st now? LOL

Attached: Nigga_Really.jpg (359x363, 12K)

What's funny, Intel literally glued 2 chips together while AMD came up with a proper chiplet architecture. It's the future. Intel's chips are straight up outdated.

dying

Attached: file.png (1446x808, 669K)

expect a chernobyl like explosion near California

Gives a new meaning to "power users".

And that's a good thing.

Expanding to nuclear fusion market.

Now it'll only take me 10 hours to compile chrome

Based, intel is always thinking ahead. This will be usefull in the next winter.

Burning down hyperscalers
With no survivors

That's a big housefire

kek

Losing market share.

Ah the artic data scientist market. A heater and HPC in one.

>Water cooling your water cooling

Who cares about market share........

Did Intel fix their TDP specifications or is that thing going to pull a lot more than 400w?

HERE'S WHY

>Did Intel fix their TDP specifications
lol nope

who knew that being in industrial HVAC could put you on a career path with Intel.

>single core doesnt matter

>multi core doesn't matter

>servers don't matter

>I don't matter

I wanna see Linus Tech Tips make a video with the 9282, that ought to be fun.

Attached: 240C4E0A-C086-481B-BE4F-BC4A01C0DE48.jpeg.f336b1d3d92009be207b4f39295d0632.jpg (1079x873, 224K)

>existence doesn't matter

>tfw no cute bug wife

lol she went for bbc and literally left her home country just for it, shows how women are only after indulgence of the sexual nature.

>went to croatia for BBC
wait wat senpai?

>watercooling
With this kind of wattage it's more a case of steamcooling

How can you cool 400w on a server that is like 1U usually? I guess you'd need a big ass heatsink that takes up 4U just for the heatsink?
Otherwise the best solution is to run a water cooling loop and radiate it somewhere else.. but then you have to deal with pumps etc

I wonder how many processors that big ass water chiller can handle, or how much running more than one on them damages overall performance.