Ublock origin is no more

I gotta say, when I see phrases like
>access all your data for all websites
>modify your privacy settings
>store unlimited data on your computer
It really looks like I'm being encouraged to install malware.

Attached: Untitled.png (379x234, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock
developer.chrome.com/extensions/privacy
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Permissions
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
twitter.com/gorhill
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you know how an ad blocker works user?

>all adblockers turn your computer into a russian bot
>it's NORMAL

Yes. It runs a c++ program that dereferences void pointers in the advertisement people`s server

Holy shit you people are mental

The program is open source.

>immediate damage control and vague suggestions that it’s the user’s fault for having his computer hijacked
Yeah, I’m thinking that I’m onto something here.

Show me the lines of code where it hijacks your computer

i agree. keep digging. expose the truth.

oh my god, i think i found something:

keep bumping, (((shills))) will want to slide this thread.

In the OP, my guy.

Prove they both the same? You can't!

all adblockers require those permissions. anything that modifies or blocks network requests across all of your browsing activity (something that is necessary to block ads), will need permissions like that. op, you're a massive faggot.

That’s a lie. Ublock didn’t require it prior to a year or so ago.

I don't see any lines of code there

Go install malware then, something like abp or non origin ublock might match more your slow speed.

>c++

You wanted to say lots of JS and a bit of webassembly.

legacy extensions can use c++, c, java, whatever they want web-extensions can't, if you want to run c++ you have to distribute a companion program to run alongside your extension but it must be installed separately and can't be distributed on AMO.

bump for interesting

Thank you reddit

Don't use it then, faggot. I suggest you don't use any adblocker at all. In fact, get off the internet as well.

Attached: At-least-75-of-this-site.jpg (700x786, 88K)

What do you mean "you people"

y'all niggas finna be stupid

a thread died for this.
kys user, please

The hash proves that 4u

Just in case you're not a total fucking tool and are posting in good faith:

Meaning it's a content script, i.e. it can change (and thus read) the DOM of the pages you visit. This is how cosmetic filters and nag removers are applied, for example. This capability has been there for a very long time; even ABP has them, I think.
The "privacy" permission, which is fucking nothing. See what it does on Chrome, for example: developer.chrome.com/extensions/privacy
Because otherwise, it's now limited to such little space that it probably couldn't even update its blocklists.

You took the bait. Congrats.

>guau
UMA DELIDCIA

>I gotta say, when I see phrases like
>>access all your data for all websites
>>modify your privacy settings
>>store unlimited data on your computer
But Wangblows10 already does all that

>store unlimited data
>Storage used: 6MB

I had no clue what guau meant, but I laughed at the incel part. What does it mean, is it incel in huehue?

>HAHA, I successfully convinced someone I was retarded and they made an informed and insightful post, I sure showed them!
I really don't understand people like you.

>>access all your data for all websites
Necessary in order to read the page DOM to find and block ads.
>>modify your privacy settings
Not necessary, but convenient so it can provide options or change settings the user would have to do manually.
>>store unlimited data on your computer
Because without this setting the limit will be 5MB when they start imposing the limitation. Some blocklists are more than 3MB alone so some combinations of blocklists would be above the default allowable limit.

This is fairly similar to Android/iOS permissions. A lot of functions live under broad permission groups so if you want to do something simple that everyone would agree is a nice feature to have, you have to request a permission that sounds dangerous.
For example, to check if the user is in the middle of a phone call before I have my app blast some audio into the user's fucking ear, I have to request the Read Phone Status and Identity permission.
With that permission I could also read the phone's number, ID and the remote number connected during a call. But there's basically no way to show the user without them reading the source code that I'm not doing those things.

Use a hardware firewall whitelist to block ads on the DNS level, strict popup blocker, noscript whitelist, element blocker, and Common Sense 2019. I haven't seen an ad in over 10 years.

Attached: 1536854965485.jpg (640x951, 44K)

Holy shit you ARE a fucking retard

Guau is how spics represent the sound of a dog's bark. The pic was made by an incel spic

Nevermind that guy, I was gonna say the same thing he did but unironically. If these permissions are a must for the blocker to work, Why is it that it didn't ask for them before? What changed for it to be asking now?

Browsers added permissions systems.

Really? What happened?

Browsers wanted to give users a better idea of what extensions were doing by requiring permissions for various things and presenting those permissions to the user on installation.

You make it sound like there's a browser kabal or something. Why did so many browsers allegedly pushed this change at the same time?

because they all converged on the webextension api

>so many
All browsers use the WebExtensions API. Firefox specifically added more permissions so users cold have a netter idea of what their addons do. This change reset the permissions to addons and thus users need to approve them again.

I don't know what that is. I get the feel that you're just throwing buzzwords man.

>I don't know what that is. I get the feel that you're just throwing buzzwords man.
Time to try Googling shit then.

>use Google
You finally tipped your hand as a shill. I don't use Google though.

Then Ask Jeeves to bing your cherryboy ass until you scream yahoo.

You probably thought you were being funny, but I only understand about 40% of your references. I can't imagine that you're too popular in real life.

>Why is it that it didn't ask for them before?
Where did you get the idea it didn't ask for them before? It did ask them since always:
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Permissions

gorhill is unironically one of the few people I trust with my data

I have been installing it for years and I never saw such pop-up.

The warning is only when first installing, re-installing over an existing installation won't trigger the warning.

See for yourself by removing your current installation (after backup settings) then install any old *webext* versions from addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/

>it's already a fact that it's a bot
>discussion should continue from there

Attached: 1534570766506.jpg (527x463, 35K)

>comic feos
whoa what a shock

Hey glownigger, shouldn't you have made a another thread about cloudflare by now?

Why does it start a webextensions process that takes 20 gigs of virt memory though? Or is it normal?

it's fucking javascript and HTML, yes you can

Don't respond to that paid google retard, he's just here to make people paranoid so they watch more ads.

>so many browsers
there are literally two browser platforms in active development

uBlock is much more complex then a simple hosts file. It alters contents of a web page to make it look better.

literally Wrong

Attached: 1565088183567.jpg (429x1006, 60K)

Based retard.

1. download the release github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
2. unpack the xpi/zip
3. sha256 the contents with your local copy in Chrome Profile

>Opera, Brave and Edge are now Chromium-based (Chrome)
>All Firefox forks ever are Firefox-based (Firefox)
Unless you're referring to literal 0.001% marketshare browsers which pretty much rely on either of the two giants.

Following this thread very closely to see how it plays out. Currently the "not a trojan" camp seems to be winning, but the tide appears to be turning with the last few posts......

You're just as retarded as OP

To make a record of all the websites you visit and to see what kind of content you are downloading. This will determine if you can be compromised.
In case you were proactive into trying to block Russian hackers from your system. They're going to come in through the front door after announcing in plain view what they are doing.
Mining crypto-rubles as a side hustle to help pay the bills for developing this sophisticated software to datamine you and eventually blackmail you with. Programming worms is not cheap, you know.

>calling someone "a retard" when he has run out of logic and evidence, basically he can't defend the indefensible position he has chosen to stake his reputation on
Retarded is not an argument.

windows calculator is open source and has tracking shit

The source code is available for everyone. So yes, you are a retard.

Point out the the "malware" in the ublock origin code, dumbass.

Holy fuck. Does USPS already know about the calculations I've been making?? I thought my math was private.

prove that there isn't malware in the first place

Print out the goodware in it.

All of it is safe
Now point out the malware. If you're claiming there is malware it's up to you to prove it. I think chrome and firefox would like to know since they both have allowed it and firefox even recommends it.

>what is WebKit
You can thank Apple and the KDE project for maintaining a third engine so that you don't have to use the Blink botnet or Gecko SJW shit.

You sound like you're getting paid to do PR for uBlock.

You sound like you're getting paid to do PR for ad agencies/google since chrome is going to gimp adblockers even more.

This is developers twitter. I think it's good data.
twitter.com/gorhill

days without russia being blamed for something: 0

Proving there isn't malware would require showing you all of the code, so

Proving there is malware would require just showing a portion of the code that acts maliciously.
Be my guest.