Are gayming laptops the only option now for sensible thermal solutions and upgrade/repair-ability?

are gayming laptops the only option now for sensible thermal solutions and upgrade/repair-ability?

Attached: laptop.png (2282x1654, 3.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes but dgpu kills battery life so we're just fucked

Yes.
You can thank the late vegan Steve Jobs and his gay bunch of faggots for that with their "computer as a monolithic appliance" approach. Genius tier marketing effort went into selling this bullshit to the consumerist masses. When they bought in, the rest of laptop vendors had to more or less follow suit just to keep competitive.

For me, it was soldered RAM in ThinkPad X280 that I knew we were fucked. non-CRU RAM in a ThinkPad, ffs.

So yes, le ebin gaymen laptops and a paper-thin segment of mobile workstations actually remain, and even those are under threat.

Most have a iGPU and dGPU though. My MSI does.

I'm not arguing either way here, but for my purposes its worthless since I want to use linux and having an unutilised gpu is a waste anyway

any high end gaming laptop you purchase today will be alright for 10 years

if you need tostop using it the cause will likely be hardware damage i.e. screen, storage

Yes. Will probably get a Razer Blade one day, but I am still using my indestructible DELL from 2010. Meahnwhile all the people I know who fell for the Apple meme went through 4 MacBooks on average. Either the keyboard died, the screen fell apart, the battery exploded or the CPU burned away. Absolute pieces of shit.

Attached: thick_d.jpg (600x540, 21K)

>Lelnovo sticker on top of screw
Thinkpads will never have that.

If you're talking about consumer laptops, then yes. Business/corporate laptops, on the other hand, are just as repairable now as they were 5-10 years ago. HP even has repair guides for their elitebook line-up on YouTube.

>are gayming laptops the only option now for sensible thermal solutions and upgrade/repair-ability?
More like the worst. 'Modern' hardware is made in the way that makes it break easily.
If you want something cool, upgradable and libre better try EOMA-68
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

>upgradeability
My Acer has two separate panels that give access to the RAM slots and the Sata bay, I upgraded those and didn't need to dismantle the entire machine
It was a nice surprise

>using a laptop for anything that stresses-hardware

You guys are truly, truly retarded.

Just buy a desktop PC and a laptop/tablet you tard, gaming laptops are a terrible meme.

Dell XPS

>Gaming laptop
>Fuck-huge harddrive

Attached: CnlMWCIUAAAig-F.jpg (1200x1200, 387K)

this little fucker right here is why I'm never opening a laptop again.

Attached: download (4).jpg (450x338, 41K)

New laptops have even smaller ones, i opened mine up last week to repaste, nearly panicked when i wanted to put the display cable back on, it's so small you hardly even see the connectors.

That is a literal bomb. Imagine the battery malfunctioning.

I hope the middle of that battery is the battery's pcb

As someone who likes their 13" formfactor i'm getting tempted by 15" gaming/multimedia laptops for their expandability and hopeful longitivity because of that.

>Business/corporate laptops, on the other hand, are just as repairable now as they were 5-10 years ago.

Not really. 5-10 years ago, they didn't all use BGA CPUs and MXM adoption was tad a bit better.

mate have you seen the state of the 2019 thinkpad lineup? sure they're still easy to open but they're starting to solder fucking evertything

I tend to agree, but the Thinkpad P-series still exists, even the thin X1 Extreme doesn't have bad upgradeability. Dell makes some good workstation laptops too but I'm unsure.

unfortunately the cost is too high to justify for my use case. I shouldn't have to look at $3k laptops to get something not total dogshit