/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: maxresdefault (19).jpg (1280x720, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9W3-uOl4ruc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/bDWfrH/toshiba-n300-4-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-hdwq140xzsta
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should I change any of the settings in memtest before I let it start running or is it fine with the defaults?

what's a good image viewer I'm thinking of changing to faststone from ifranview

What's better for cooling 2x120mm fans or 1x140mm?

Following someone's advice, I switched my kernel driver from radeon to amdgpu by changing
>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
to
>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"
in /etc/default/grub.

I haven't gotten around to testing whether games run better or worse with this option, but I did notice that my idle GPU temperature seemed to increase; it hovered around 43 to 44 degrees Celsius, whereas before it would be around 36 to 39 degrees Celsius. It's at 36 now, after having undone the change above just to confirm that I wasn't imagining things. I should probably note that all of these temperatures are higher than my idle GPU temperature on Windows as measured by HWMonitor, which was usually in the low 30s.

Is it normal to see higher idle temperatures with amdgpu than with radeon? Is it normal to see higher idle GPU temperatures on Linux in general? Should I be concerned in any case?

Attached: neofetch.png (654x467, 76K)

What is the best anti-virus/malware remover?

I had Avira and apparently it did fuck all

How do I format a WD drive that was previously in a backup housing, and use it as an internal drive? Just formatting it while it was plugged in to the computer with USB like normal didn't work when I installed it.

-

I have an old (2011) hard drive from a backup drive who's housing broke, and I'm trying to repurpose it as an internal drive to rescue an old computer with a dying (2010) HDD.

I formatted the drive, installed it, but the OS isn't recognizing it on the computer.

I've heard that the drive might be formatted such that it will only work when plugged in to the housing / casing. That's why I reformatted it. I still have the circuit board part of the casing, so I can duplicate some files I want to back up and store the drive elsewhere if I have to, but plan A was to use this drive to save the older computer.

[I'll be trying to buy a couple of internal Hard Drives anyway. I don't want my other drives going below 50-70% storage.]

Attached: i am a genius.jpg (640x720, 74K)

This thread should be named
>>>/GSQT/
GNU+SQT

Windows Photo Viewer

JPEGView

There's more plastic on "her" face than inside the phone.

What is an URL that starts with blob:

what's the best filesystem and allocation size to format to on a w7 system that dualboots to linux
likely NTFS but with 4gb allocation or what?

Attached: 1556469929559.jpg (4000x5328, 843K)

so you're saying what? you can't execute format over USB?
WD drives in external cases may differ between periods, some have regular coloured labels, some are white. Coloureds will work normally when plugged into a PC internally, white labels have some inbuilt powers supply issue

Can't be said. Depends on the setup. Probably the two fans.

Defaults.

I think I might have answered my own stupid question here.

I switched again from radeon to amdgpu, and again the GPU temperature was hanging around low-to-mid 40s, rather than mid-to-high 30s. Hmm, very interesting. Then I moved my mouse cursor off the right edge of the desktop.

I have a second monitor, but I usually leave it disabled and turned off unless I need it. And because it was turned off, I didn't realize it was enabled. I guess the switch from radeon to amdgpu didn't preserve my display settings. I just disabled the second monitor and the GPU temperature appears to be falling back down to the range where it was with the radeon driver.

I still wonder if I should be concerned about having higher idle GPU temperatures on Linux than on Windows, but I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

Okay my men.
Going to spill the whole story. So, I've got an old PC setup from around 2012 and it've rarely given my any issues, BUT, just now (on Tuesday) the GPU bid its farewell. Or so I thought.
It flashed briefly with some artifacts and stopped feeding at all. The PC kept on working. Obvious for me that it died after all those years and it was time to upgrade. Got myself a nice RX570 Nitro+ which should be 100% compatible with all the rest components, however when I put it it, the PC would turn on, but not POST and not boot at all. BIOS quirk? Driver conflict? Improperly seated? I tried right about anything that I could think of and would be inside of my abilities to try and fix with no success. So I put an emergency weaksauce GPU just so I can use the PC to shitpost and whatnot. And guess what. It POSTs and boots no problem, but after working for a few minutes returns some random BSODs. So I figure, it has to be the PSU, isn't it? I mean, it partially shits the bed and can't supply enough juice for "strong" GPU, can run the weak one, but is dying anyway and that's how it goes with it now.
Am I right? Do I get myself a new power supply?
Thanks in advance!

>tl;dr
Dying PSU can't handle more powerful GPU and BSODs with weaker one? Y/N

my harddisk has 30gb left
can you recommend me a good sata one ?
i had this seagate for like 12 years now and never had any problems
but i read that it's writing/reading speeds sucks and even lowers the internet speed when transfering

iam thinking about hitachi for some reason
because it's senpai brand !?!

4TB one would be nice

Attached: 81YWB65jznL._SX425_.jpg (425x341, 22K)

Man did that post came out long

I'm saying I DID format it, but when I transferred it to the inside of the other computer, the other computer's OS didn't see the drive at all in Disk Management.

1. I had an external backup drive.
2. The backup drive's casing starts to fail.
3. I want to salvage the HDD and use it as an internal drive.
4. Installing the HDD as an internal drive doesn't work. I though it was just an issue with formatting. Turns out it's at least a little bit more complicated than that.

Later on, I want to clone the 500Gb drive's partition over to the 3TB drive as a way of reusing it. I think the 500Gb drive is dying, since I'm getting absurd system slowdown on that computer.

is it a white label WD?
youtube.com/watch?v=9W3-uOl4ruc

Green Label. It's from around 2011.

I'll give the video a look.

Parents got a new ipad, so now there's this old ipad they're offering to give to me, but it's like a decade old or so at this point so I'm pretty sure apple doesn't support it at all in any way anymore.
Can I do anything with it? I have spare time so it can be a pet project if need be, but generally I don't use apple products at all so I'm unsure if there's like an underground leet h4ckers or shit for these things like cyanogenmod was for android or linux in general for computers, or just anything really.

if it isn't white you're having another issue

western digital mang

Thanks for saving me the time of trying that stuff, then.

Attached: ahnold trying to smile.gif (300x227, 1.95M)

Do you guys recommend any passive or powered speakers on par with JBL LSR305 or Vanatoo T1 but without the hiss and available in the UK?

wasn't WD a meme or why am i thinking that ?

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
just run Ccleaner...now my bluetooth doesn't work anymore
i can send files from my phone to pc but not from my pc to phone

How do i get LLVM 9.0 under Ubuntu witha RX 580?
It is for RPCS3, I wanna try Demon's Souls

I just got an LTO-4 tape drive, and I keep getting Input/Output errors with mtx. What am I doing wrong?

Yes I took a picture of a screen.

Attached: IMG_20190809_174558.jpg (1920x1080, 1.25M)

WD Blue is these days, supposedly. Red apparently is fine though

I swear by it for the last fifteen years and counting

What's the best way to resize a 10080x20720 picture down to 1440x2960 while losing as little quality as possible?

Can you explain what you meant by:
>Best results can only be achieved by delving into scaling algorithm autism.
?

>GIMP
>Canvas size
>Choose desired resolution and crop if needed

If I create a RAID-0 using 2 HDD after installing Mint, how can I have it mounted at boot, I mean the same as my /home that is on another HDD
I want to use 1 SSD for / - 2 HDDs for a RAID-0 setup (Steam and else) and a 4th one with /home on it since my SSD is small

What side of the aisle should I learn first to get into security, blue team or red team operations? I'll have to dig deeper into Linux either way so I'm ready for that

>Can you explain what you meant by
The output will depend on what scaling algorithm you use to shrink the image. Different algorithms introduce different artifacts, so for optimal results you need to figure out what scaling algorithm is best suited for your particular image.

dont use raid 0
/etc/fstab

Why is pop os with Mesa drivers and KDE buggy as hell when in a full screen game but Debian with KDE is stable as fuck on my ThinkPad?

I'm not exactly sure what your plan is, but NEVER do RAID 0.

Why not use RAID-0? I want faster loading speed
What about /etc/fstab?

Why? Been doing it for years without any issues

>Why not use RAID-0

>What about /etc/fstab?
Fucking use it

Attached: 1524167749073.jpg (4011x2100, 3.73M)

What's special about that image? You fucked up?
Help me with that /etc/fstab, I'm a fucking noob at it. I use Ubuntu because I have no real choice

Maybe the amd drivers on windows have a more aggressive fan cure thus lower temps

If I made a website that allows you to send strangers money anonymously (using stripe's api) would that be illegal?

Because a single hard drive failure destroys the data on both, and one big hard drive costs less than two smaller ones with half the capacity.

This response means you shouldnt be using raid, shouldnt be using linux and should just fuck off if you cant open up fstab and read what it says to do

Blue Team is more marketable, Red team is more fun

Eat shit loser. Dilate
You did not help at all once, big mouth but no results

I don't care, I use them for Steam only, nothing of value will be lost, I have a separate HDD for my /home partition

>no results
Because youre reading comprehension is so shit you LITERALLY cannot open a file that documents how to use it and then use it

And I did ask you what is special about it, gave fuck all for answer, I did open it you fucking moron
really well detailed instructions, wow!

You seem frustrated, it is Friday night, relax, dilate gently...

I told you to how to mount your self
You use /etc/fstab
It is YOUR FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY to then use that file

really helpful
>Here's the tools, find out yourself out to use them, you are welcome
this is you, low IQ
I think you are trying to use me to explain you how to use it, nice try
Nothing helpful at all in that file, fuck all
barely anything explained at all

My phone is currently on Android Nougat but I have the opportunity to update to Pie.
Is it worth the upgrade? It looks kinda ugly imo, but maybe the pros outweigh the cons?

I'd like to check whether a board's speed affects the distribution of replies and I've thought about writing some basic program to comb the API with.
But I don't know where to begin with this shit, all I know about coding is minimal bits of JS from an online course.
What should I do? Should I learn Python?

Attached: 1536276775003.jpg (250x250, 8K)

PLEASE HELP !

Install Gentoo

that helped, ty user !

Hey nigger why dont you read the fucking docs in the file that tells you EXACTLY WHAT YOU FUCKING WANT TO KNOW?

No.
Old phones arent optimized for pie and pie changed alot of shit for the worse ui wise and performance wise

Yeah uhhhhh how come there are no new crts being made? Not even shitty Chinese made crts? Surely there's a niche for them among nostalgiafags, smash players, and so on

Does rma usually covers bricked mobo caused by shitty bios?

Attached: IMG_20190805_225334.jpg (1080x1272, 251K)

I have a question. When I see things like NordVPN and people describe the way they work they seem like glorified proxies not VPNs. Am I crazy when I think VPN I think about something like Hamachi

on my video card do I have to hook up the 6 pin and the 8pin and can I use the same cable?

2080 for reference

No,flashing bios is not covered by your warranty and you voided it when you flashed it

The equipment and infrastructure to make them is expensive and not worth it, same reason no one is manufacturing old cars from the 70's or fabbing old CPUs from the 90's.

>noone is making old cars from the 70s
user do a search for "kit car"

Does qBittorent not notify you if the there's already a file with the same name? Seems like it just automatically overwrites.

Attached: 1541993843953.jpg (1041x1509, 911K)

Yes, of course, but that's not what they asked. You can do the same hobbyist bullshit with a CRT. But there is no factory out there pumping out CRTs or old 70's cars.

here.
If I'm looking to buy extra internal HDDs for data storage, and one for cloning my old computer's OS to, what are my better options?

Is there much of a performance benefit between a 4tb that has a 64Mb cache and a 128Mb cache?

I'm currently looking at getting 2 of these ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/bDWfrH/toshiba-n300-4-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-hdwq140xzsta
I'm in Canada, so that'll be Canadian Dollars. $156 before tax from Amazon Prime with one-day shipping included, or $111 plus tax and $7 shipping that'll take around 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Attached: thinking space captain.png (500x375, 227K)

Did you just delete the files, or did you do the registry cleaner and click "make changes" without really looking at everything?

>WD Blue is a meme
...Does that mean it's a standard of good quality for the price, or does that mean it's supposed to be horrible, and it's horrible-ness is supposed tobe common knowledge?

Same concept as Hamachi in fact or XLink Kai

Hey subhuman, the files barely say anything as I have mentioned earlier, it is bullshit as you, holy shit, dilate and relax already, it is Friday night

Why is my ram so crappy? I already had some issues when the xmp profile1 which put it at 2133 frequency, and setting it up for 3200 was a real chore where sometimes it wouldn't even detect the 3200 changes. Now it does ( shown in BIOS and AMD Ryzen Master ), however something still seems to be off.

Attached: raym.jpg (1387x249, 59K)

Why I do not have LLVM 9.0? I am trying to use RCPS3

RPCS3 v0.0.6-8355-537d3f25 Alpha | HEAD | Firmware version: 4.82
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz | 4 Threads | 60.45 GiB RAM
F {Vulkan device enumeration} RSX: RADV drivers have a major driver bug with LLVM 8 resulting in no visual output. Upgrade to LLVM 9 version of mesa to avoid this issue.

How can I buy an activation key for Windows 7?

Got a cracked version that I want to activate.

Just to remind you that YOU have started the hostilities by calling me names, did you forget what this thread is about?
No joke, the file has shit for information, no infos on how to identify a HDD, it's UUID (whatever that is) and how to add it to the system, just a series of bullshit command with no real reference

#

really helpful

Ebay for 5$ keys but install Ubuntu or similar if all your games are on Steam (Proton)

>Ebay for 5$ keys
Awesome, ebay even gave me a $5 coupon so it only cost me 40 cents. You're a real lad user, thanks.
>install Ubuntu or similar if all your games are on Steam (Proton)
It's for a friend, but advice taken.

Glad to help

see? This how this thread works

please answer

What do you guys listen to opus files with on android?

Probably depends on your jurisdiction
but if you have to ask here, don't fucking do it

Should I use my GPU as hard as I can or would it be smarter to limit it a little?
Example: I can run forza 4 fully maxed at 4k and get 50-55 fps, according to the in game counter this is running my gpu at 98% and results in temperatures in the mid 70s
OR
I can run it at 1440p locked at 60fps still all maxed, this uses my gpu at 65 tp 75% and gives temperatures in the low 60s.
It still looks pretty great at 1440p and I cant really tell the difference in fps. I guess im really just not sure about the temperatures, will running it harder significantly reduce its lifespan?

>will running it harder significantly reduce its lifespan?
Man people will argue about this to the end of days. The answer is "almost certainly," but the only thing for sure is that running it harder will not extend its lifespan.
Just on principle I use my shit on the lowest settings I find acceptable. Save a little energy or whatever, lower my electric bill, etc.

How do I make a small file 256x256 into a full wallpaper through placing it side by side over and over?

Choose "tile" options for you wallpaper

I mean, generate a file out of it not set it as a wallpaper

You can't make a file extend forever

Why is isInRange() thread safe?

Attached: file.png (1488x1188, 227K)

Instead of setting it as a wallpaper, I just want to generate a file that is the wallpaper

I have no idea where to even ask this, but why not here? What's a good place for learning resources on audio editing and cleaning up, more specifcically for podcasts. I'd rather not spend hours finding decent tutorials while fumbling around audacity every time a new question or problem pops up.

Fuck, what's a good online resource for self-teaching in general?

Is the wiki ded?

GIMP -> Filters -> Map -> Tile

she looks like she's been mummified.
Lenin is looking better than she is.

Attached: 9E7BDCEE-11EE-4AE6-A1C3-FE5D4C9784A9.gif (200x270, 1.09M)

2 120s

i'm trying to use linux deploy on a rooted galaxy tablet and i keep getting these errors:
starting graphics/vnc fail
starting desktop/dbus fail
i have busybox installed and running and the path variable set to "/system/xbin". i've tried multiple distributions, and i'm not sure what else i can even do. has anyone got this working before?

I have this code:

int main() {
float example = 1800/3.141592657;
printf ("%f", example);
getch(); }

The output is: 572.957825

If I change it to:

int main() {
float a = 1800;
float b = 3.141592657;
float example = a/b;
printf ("%f", example);
getch(); }

The output is: 572.957764

However, if I put the exact same equation into my calculator (either the calculator on my computer or my real life calculator) I get: 572.9577945

Why am I getting so many different answers? Why can't my code just give me the same answer as my calculator does?

Attached: mad apu.jpg (600x439, 23K)