Why are upload speeds generally slow?

Why are upload speeds generally slow?
Pic related.

Attached: IMG_7906.jpg (1242x2118, 465K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-mode_optical_fiber
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-mode_optical_fiber
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You are not paying for a connection with high upload.
Normies download a lot more than upload, so downloading is prioritized.

Why wouldn’t they just make it synchronous anyway ?

They aren't

Attached: kek.png (730x126, 19K)

That is called a symmetric internet connection. You either need a business account or have fiber optic at your home.

Saves on costs substantially. It would also make the internet more decentralized. Can't have that goyim!

Boy, oh boy. What I'd do to setup a business account at a residential address...

Uh, you can. Just pay the much higher costs.

Fuggg:D. Try to get FiOS or a local company fiber line. You should prepare your wallet lad.

Attached: 1564074822230.gif (362x270, 1.91M)

Which is what I insisted, but they still said it couldn't be a residential address. It's not as if cabinets near businesses on business plans are different

Meant for

Not all residences have the capability of getting symmetric. The max this old neighborhood gets is 200Mbps/75Mbps coaxial and it is very very unreliable.

The max my line does on DOCSIS3 Is 440/40

You're not on fiber.
Seriously why are all fiber lines symmetric?

Because Comcast uses DOCSIS instead of fiber for most of their service.

Attached: 8489226470.png (350x200, 20K)

>588.14 down
>584.82
584.52 > 588.14?
You dumb nigger, get some reading comprehension.

i'm assuming docsis allocates different band sizes to upstream and downstream?
those are just standard fluctuations, if it's that close it's safe to assume it's a symmetric agreement

>i'm assuming docsis allocates different band sizes to upstream and downstream?
Yes, unless they've installed DOCSIS 3.1 full duplex.

Because the bandwidth limitation has nothing to do with the connection to and from the house specifically. It has to do with your ISP's servers and networking.

I am on fiber and I have started to notice slowdowns recently as the local fiber ISP has become very popular, usually from 9pm-12am. Instead of gigabit I am getting about two thirds of that. The ISP has promised to upgrade to compensate, which is fair.

The local copper ISPs have terrible connections in some neighborhoods.

i think a lot of fiber is single-mode or something which means you can't really divide it into frequency channels
in other words: you need to allocate a whole fiber to either upstream or downstream. so the most economical solutions is to use two fibers, one upstream and one downstream
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-mode_optical_fiber
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-mode_optical_fiber
according to above ^ it seems like multi-mode isn't suitable for long distance communication, especially at speeds over 100Mbit/s

according to wikipedia they're calling this docsis 4 now ig. i imagine this is pretty unsuitable for residential users honestly, can you tell me if it's possible to partially implement such a thing or would it entail evening the bands across a pretty large segment at once or could they implement that on a per-customer basis?
i've always assumed they assigned frequency on a single piece of media that many customers shared right?
apologies if these are brainlet questions

Poor bastard doesn't have fios :(

>according to wikipedia they're calling this docsis 4 now
Yeah, as of mid july, a very recent change considering it's been a specification since mid 2017.

>can you tell me if it's possible to partially implement such a thing or would it entail evening the bands across a pretty large segment at once or could they implement that on a per-customer basis?
it requires upgrading the equipment at the local node, so it would be highly unlikely to upgrade just a single customer on a node, they'd just upgrade the whole cabinet at once.

i see, do you think this is likely to be implemented in residential segments or will this mostly be a business thing?
additionally [since i'm asking stupid questions here], do you have any idea whether the number of fiber links [media channels, idk] is pretty future-proofed or will that be needing continuous upgrades as well?

It's actually mostly the cost aspect. Well kinda. You can easily get a syncronous connection if you have ftth (i have 100/100), but every other connection type has severe bandwidth limits. If you think about dsl for example you'll see that there's quite literally only a limited range of usable bandwidth. Now you have to split this bandwidth up between up and download. And at that point it's important to note again that most people only require huge downstreams.

Fuck is a docsis? I use fiber