Power banks

Are power banks with 18650 cells inside safer or more 'stable' than ones with flat smartphone-type batteries? Less likely to catch fire?

Like these Anker chunky ones that obviously house 18650s. Seems like Xiaomi has ones like these too. But pretty much every other brand only has thin, flat banks with obviously thin, flat smartphone style batteries. Are 18650s safer and more stable because they're like a standardized thing, like AAs? I know nothing about almost technology desu, I just want to buy the safest power bank possible for my niece.

Attached: iu[2].jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-batteries/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The other ones being ones like these. I guess Xiaomi and Anker also have ones in this flat 'slim' style.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (900x563, 36K)

first, they are a standard thing, so you get great companies who ready make the batteries, it costs more to specially make cell phone style ones unless you want cellphone capacities

durability, these ones hands down are better, you still have the issues of the things melting down like you do with cellphone ones, but you damage one to the point it melts down generally requires you to throw a fully charged battery at a brick wall at full force several times while a cellphone one could be damaged by putting to much weight on it due to the flexibility.

Personally I would trust the battery ones more then I would trust the flat ones, mix in the fact that if they put 1 battery in the thing, then its already thick, so what does it matter to put more in.

that thick one you have in the pic, at bare minimum that thing is 15000 mah, up to 30000 mah depending on the battery. I don't think any battery over 5000 is legitimate, and even 5000 is pushing it, at least last time I looked into them

'flat type' batteries as you describe are li-po and 18650 are lithium-ion
check out the differences, but other than size and weight there is really no benefit to li-po, which is why most of these battery packs use 18650s because they're cheap, store better, and yes less likely to blow up if you hit it with a hammer.

this
blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-batteries/
this

Lithium polymer has a shorter life and stores less power.
18650 are lithium ion and thus store more power, are heavier, bigger in size, but also store power better and have a much better lifespan

lithium ion is lower power density, lower amp delivery. but more stable, can stay charged or in a drained state for far longer without cell degradation.
li-po is much higher power density (so higher capacity) and can safely discharge without bursting or fire at a much higher current (if you get appropriate cells).
li-ion has about 20-30a max discharge, where with li-po you can have cells rated into hundreds of amps for a low capacity cell. a bigger array/bank of multiple in series and parallel is how they overcome that amp limit for electric vehicles with li-ion or li-fe cells as a power source.
tl;dr li-ion is more for safety and some longevity benefit as it degrades less from staying fully charged (same with li-fe)
li-po is great for power output vs weight, but is strict about storage and charging/discharging.
li-ion and li-fe are still lithium based and can still burst into flames, they're just more stable and forgiving than li-po. most phone batteries are li-ion just flat cells
also li-ion is technically lithium polymer-ion
vs li-po being lithium polymer.

look at remote control vehicles, lower power ground stuff might be ok with li-ion. but usually will get a performance and runtime benefit using li-po, aircraft use li-po too because the higher power density

rav power is wrong in saying lithium batteries have a memory effect. as the cells are cycled or stored improperly they pretty much undergo chemical changes like corrosion. causing the cell to no longer perform as if it was new. nickel batteries had a memory effect, and multiple charge/discharge cycles could restore full capacity. lithium batteries will have the internal resistance go up over the course of it's life as it's able to hold and discharge less of it's design capacity. either lithium battery with physical damage or improper charging/discharging can fail or internally short causing catastrophic failure. li-ion just won't fail catastrophically as often in correct usage

vape kiddies are usually pushing the batteries to the edge of designed power output for a quality cell, and beyond it with cheap cell causing the accidents of blown up ones. i've seen guys that use lipo instead of li-ion cells because it can handle the power output they're asking for.
lipo would be better in most cases for high speed charging of like laptops through usb-c for stuff over 100w
under that li-ion should be fine

I use chinkpad batteries to vape
fight me

>lipo instead of li-ion cells because it can handle the power output they're asking for.

lipo and li-ion are pretty much the same thing in reality. the chemistry is functionally the same. the main difference there's been in lithium cells in the past decade or more has been lifepo.

Flat ones have more surface area thus better heat dissipation if given the chance.

>Flat ones have more surface area thus better heat dissipation if given the chance.

that's not really particularly true. round cells have more surface area, and the metal cans give some heatsinking you don't get with prismatic cells.

Not OP. Any tip to pick which power bank to buy? Should I pick 10k or 20k mAh? Also among anker, aukey and xiaoMi which one is the best bang for bucks?

>li-ion
>more stable
>larger capacity
>short lifespan
>bulky

>lipo
>longer lifespan
>less capacity
>combustible if physically damaged

lol unless you're getting some PD 60W shit who cares

these cells aren't heating up from 2A draw. 18650s are more stable but swelling batteries is a minor issue

18650 differ a lot in quality from brand to brand. There are also differences in capacity, max amp drain, protection circuit modules, length and girth.

>up to 30000 mah

The highest capacity for 18650 batteries in existence is 3.5Ah right now. So at best that powerbank would be have 21Ah

Attached: 18650_Battery_Guide-5T.jpg (441x650, 211K)

I thought there were a few legitimate companies who were getting closer to 4500~ range, couldn't actually look it up and cared little that said 21000mah at max,

major differences in length and girth result in a different battery, some brands may have a snug fit, but in the context of power banks that aren't diy projects, that doesn't matter.

lipo are combustible under more conditions, but li ion are also combustable when damaged. the energy goes somewhere.

Anker

Based, you use Ultrafire batteries I assume for that extra kick?

In a couple of years I went from not even knowing 18650s existed to pretty much going out of my way to buy portable electronics that take them.

It's fun to give power tools a new lease on life by replacing degraded 18650 cells.

18650 can have a diameter between 18.0mm and 18.8mm. Length from 64.6mm to 70.6mm.
The last 18650 I received was 18.6mm after removing the logo sticker, it is so thick it only fits in obsolete Dereelights, it does not fit in Surefire, Ledlenser, Armytek, Solarforce, or Convoy.

depends i guess 18650s are technically safer since they have metal shells around the cells so are harder to get pierced, i doubt the enclosure of a powerbank is ever going to get broken and pierce the flat cells tho so its neglagible

Attached: lolibooru 107121 black_legwear hair_ornament kikai_(akita_morgue) looking_at_viewer shiny_hair short (799x1100, 505K)

>more surface area
Failed geometry, I see.