FreeBSD user, AMA!

FreeBSD user, AMA!

Attached: freebsd.jpg (500x336, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's your Mac?

no

How do you eliminate screen tearing and on which DE/WM?
How do you cope with the disrespectfully slow package manager? Anything like apt-fast?
Why freebsd and not dragonfly?
Why won't my WLAN device connect? Is wi fi a meme on dragonfly?

Apt is not fast by any measure

I do not suffer from any screen tearing on my Open Box. I had to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers and they work great.
Some people run Gentoo, there's nothing to complain about. It makes me calm down, rest my eyes and drink some water.
The same reason some people use Slackware Linux, they just started with it. Also, DragonflyBSD does not have a big enough userbase / devbase to be attractive to me.
FreeBSD is reputed for its state of the art connection handling, that's why its used by almost every ISP's, so I do not suffer from your problem.
I do not use DragonflyBSD, but I wouldn't be surprised, who would want to spend time to make drivers for DragonflyBSD ?

It downloads everything from the official and local repos at full speed, then unpacks and installs each. Apt-fast does the same but downloads several packages in parallel or splits big ones.
How exactly did you install nvidia drivers? The .run file?
Does dragonfly perform better as people say, in your opinion? Or is it marginal?
Should I download trueos/trident?

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
I haven't used DragonflyBSD, nor am I interested in it. You seem to be though, so give it a read and a test.
I despise TrueOS with passion. The DE is disgusting! If you don't want to go through the hassle of setting everything up (even though there is the best documentation ever available for free online and with FreeBSD), use GhostBSD, which is just FreeBSD + MATE pre-installed.

That's awesome. I tried mate and xfce last time on freebsd with default WM but the window movements were so choppy, every window had literally a dozen screen tears.

That must have been because of the drivers. They weren't the greatest back then. What was your graphics card / drivers ?

Oh intel i3 530 with intel GMA inside. Actually I think no BSD ever utilises my intel GPU.

May be why, lol. FreeBSD is actually the closest Unix modern operating system you can get. Linux is more Gnu than Unix, Richard Stallman only used Unix because it was the easiest thing to modify at the time. His goal was to make a free operating system, not a technologically advanced one.
So FreeBSD is objectively a better OS than Linux, setting the support aside (almost all Linux apps can work on FreeBSD and they often work better. Plus, there is amazing porting documentation).
I seriously recommend trying it out!

Thanks, I will. Just one thing holding me back is performance. I really hate the slow package manager (and it doesnt support regexp?!) and apps are overall slower imo.

Do you like cocks?

Try crux OP

>why its used by almost every ISP's
Maybe in 1995.

are you running it in a vm?
why are you not using hardenedbsd?

>hardenedbsd
It's a meme.
You can't patch the kernel and pretend you did something useful if you break all the userland packages.

if you're referring to jit programs crashing because of the write once, execute never mprotect policy, you can easily disable that on a per-application basis with secadm
except for the mirrors, it's just a better freebsd overall

How many times a day do you dilate?

Attached: freebsdippo.jpg (1101x659, 209K)

How do you patch KDE2 for FreeBSD?

why cant i libreboot freebsd :(

Why not OpenBSD, NetBSD or DragonflyBSD?

How does it feel to be made obsolete by Linux?