Is Ubuntu dying ?

Is Ubuntu dying ?
For the people that switched from Ubuntu, what did you switch to and why ?

Attached: ubuntukillmyslef.jpg (543x405, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/look-munich-city-of-barcelona-is-dumping-windows-and-switches-to-ubuntu-linux-519334.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Arch because wiki, up to date software, user repository.

>Is Ubuntu dying ?
Your last two brain cells are what is dying.

Debian, I never used Botuntu that much desu

Mint myself, I enjoy it!

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-15 14-53-58.png (2560x1440, 1.28M)

>Is Ubuntu dying ?
No, it's the only good Linux distro
>For the people that switched from Ubuntu, what did you switch to and why ?
Windows

that wallpaper disqualifies you from having any opinion

? I like his wallpaper. What's so awful about it?

I switched to debian 11 years ago. The thung that made me switch was when the mid 2008 version of ubuntu came out and it had a shitty broken version of pulseaudio and other annoying bugs

This. /thread

ubuntu is bloated piece of trash. no hard feelings, but ubuntu barely feels like linux..

Debian because ubuntu just ended up feeling like a bloated, less stable debian anyways.

Used Ubuntu for three or so years. Switched back to Windows a few months ago.

Gaming was just a bit of a pain on it. VS Code also now supports remote development so I can just have a Linux VM with my dev environment and develop in that.
Mainly just the gaming bit though.

any form of speech/quotation on wallpapers is very cringe

It's fine don't listen to that basement-dwelling retard

Attached: 66461100_1129932550523472_3957695428484399104_o.jpg (810x1010, 120K)

Switched to Fedora, but i might go for Manjararo instead.

>Linux powers 37% of global websites, and of that percentage, 35.9% is Ubuntu

Attached: D0FE0861-D62E-4C42-9F0C-878CA4A47805.jpg (645x729, 31K)

>it's the only good Linux distro
Why am I not surprised that you returned to windows?

>but ubuntu barely feels like linux.
And thats what makes it good.

Quote ruins it, I don't need my hand held to understand artistic expression.

I moved to Debian purely because I wanted to learn more about Linux and because I wanted to try out the father distro of Ubuntu.

Switched to Arch cause Ubuntu 16.04 was broken and the DE came with tons of shit I never used.

I don't know if it's the quote or the font, I mean the font's pretty gay.

I've used Ubuntu and Kubuntu for a while but I'm switching to Manjaro to try it out and see if I like it any better.

Had to, sorry.

Attached: r_255347_codTF.jpg (799x737, 129K)

I am still using Ubuntu because it just werks.
Xubuntu 16.04 to be specific.

I mean it honestly depends on what you want the system to be. Can't exactly do that with ubuntu unless it's something like ubuntu server but thats for servers. Sure you can still use it normally but why bother.

Mint is just shittier ubuntu

>hurr i'm so edgy for not using the popular distro even though it's ALL EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME GNU OS
Just use Ubuntu, you brainlets.

apt is a horrible package manager. Thats something everyone can agree on.

use NixOS loser

It's one of those things that "everyone" agrees on but no one can give a valid reason why. In other words, bullshit because of LOLEDGY I DONT LIKE MAINSTREAM bias by idiots.

No, Ubuntu is just a shittier mint

just got tired of the 6 month update cycle and juggling ppas to get up to date software.

Oh, I forgot about PPAs. What a shit way to run an OS.

If ubuntu is a botnet then debian's a botnet.
But its not.

Because they deprecated Unity. Unity is not the best DE available out there but it's surely better than Gnome and I used to like it anyway.

I switched to Mint with Cinnamon and found it to be more faster and usable than Ubuntu with Gnome. I could've just switch the environment but I decided to try other distro.

Attached: deprecatiunity.jpg (590x539, 293K)

you're bleeding our budget dry with all the shekels you're earning

Good goy

>everyone misses unity now and hates canonical for ditching it even though just 2 years ago it was the most hated DE on Jow Forums
this board

People that liked Unity back then were just sitting quiet enjoying their favorite DE.

Same unity fag here: the deprecation of unity, imo, also showed a huge lack of consistency and balls. Mark Shuttleworth hadn't anough balls to deal with the sperglord users who complained about everything in every oportunity just for the sake of complaining (althought the rant about Amazon botnet was genuine, I'll give them that).

Attached: sperglord.jpg (400x400, 66K)

Unity, Gnome, Canonical, and the community surrounding Ubuntu in general went down the shitter. The community shifted from people like Fredrick Neijj to someone you would find regularly answering questions on Quora.

Attached: register.gif (127x13, 317)

>bringing Jow Forums into a completely unrelated tech thread
based incel

This
Only thing I wish NixOS had was the ability to remove all old generations and restart the numbering from gen 1

It may be OP. They have decided to force snaps on users (after they explicitly said that snaps would never replace apt) and get rid of 32bit libraries. Both of those things are huge red flags. That being said, Ubuntu has a long list of red flags that haven't killed it yet. Think MIR, upstart, Unity, etc.

35.9% of the 37%
or 35.9% of the 100%
?
i hate sloppy writing like this that doesn't make things clear

Ubuntu is a niggerlicious name.

Switched to Debian - mostly for philosophical reasons - I liked their commitment to free software and their emphasis on stability as opposed to shiny and new.

I went to ubuntu as my first linux distro just because everyone was really pushing it as a beginner distro.

The thing I discovered is that setting up and running Debian isn't much harder than setting up Ubuntu. It's almost the same. Same with installing programs just as easy as on ubuntu.

One of the few things that keep me on Ubuntu is that I can take any problem I have and just do a search and always come back with something and if a software is going to support any distro it will have something built specifically for Ubuntu

Attached: IMG_20190413_040813.jpg (1356x1187, 122K)

manjaro because ubuntu sucks now. was good a decade ago before the poetteringware

Unity was mobile trash, but Gnome 3 is garbage for keyboard and mouse, or touch, or keyboard only, or gamepad. Cinnamon is what Gnome 3 should have been, but Gnome 3 wasn't Cinnamon, and Cinnamon will never have the resources to be good, deal with it. Mate is pretty good, but again, lacking resources. KDE is the only way forward.

Ubuntu will never die. First, it's the best distro for someone that's never used Linux and pretty much always will be. Second, it's the best distro for old people that have used Linux a while and just want the shit to work without fucking around with config files and other bullshit, or ricing, and want their time on their computer to be spent actually getting shit done like paying bills, writing, etc. Once you reach a certain point, spending 10% of your time getting shit done and 90% of it customizing your machine isn't fun anymore and you want to spend 90% of the time on your computer getting shit done and 10% seeing to security and software updates so that you're able to turn it off and walk away faster to go outside, or socialize with people in the flesh.

Ubuntu satisfies that later stage quite well because almost any machine you install it on, it will just work out of the box and you can immediately set to getting shit done and getting on with the rest of your day.

i still use ubuntu server 16.04 to install new instances

If all that's left is a pawn, you've already lost.

It's 35.9% of 100%(37%) so roughly a 3rd of 37%.

Debian, then Arch

>Jow Forums is one person
early Unity was rightfully hated, but it became unironically the best DE with each release
anybody who hated the last releases either never tried it after 12.04 or is contrarian faggot
t. used to hate unity

unity was amazing. it reached a point where it made all other gtk-centric DEs look like absolute trash, and then like a year later boom, they ditch it. the ubuntu base is still rock solid though, so i simply switched to lubuntu as my daily driver. don't regret it at all.

Ubuntu is pretty popular for servers because it's what a lot of people are used to.

Switched after typing shutdown -r, went to the toilet, came back and assumed it was done and went on to apt-get install something simple like cowsay. System shuts down mid-installation and everything is broken. Everything that used python and the package manager refused to work. After spending a few hours trying to fix it I decided to not waste more time on it. I've had so many other problems with APT. I'm using fedora server right now and it has been a bit of a pain not having all the 'bloat' when I was setting it up, but it works at least. Things like git weren't installed which is fine for enterprise use but I think most people want those basics for a home server. The package manager is the single most important part of the OS for me anyways.

no

Fedora, because ubuntu botnet

>what did you switch to and why ?
arch. aur.

>uses such little RAM and feels so snappy and quick despite being noob-friendly OS, much much less than ubuntu even
>shittier
Okay retard

Attached: Light.png (1920x1080, 247K)

First Mint then Debian stable and I have been on it for years.

It's not ambiguous at all, it clearly says 35.9% of the previous 37%

>924 mb
>little ram
lmao

for every person leaving ubuntu for another GNULS, theres another one leaving windows for ubuntu

>and of that percentage,

I used ubuntu minimal, after one year I noticed that I would use the arch wiki for almost everything, so I decided to switch to arch.

lubuntu is unironically best linux fight me
>all the software of shitbuntu
>clean UI
>just "works on my machine" distro

Attached: siiip.jpg (470x529, 39K)

dropped ppc support

LMDE.

I've used manjaro with cinnamon for a while because it just worked. No need to compile things yourself, jut get it from the repos or the aur.
now I'm trying to use clear linux

For me, its Lubuntu

Lol, now imagine gentoo

I switched from Ubuntu last year because it wouldn't fucking boot on my new box. Ubuntu has issues with UEFI, and on some systems it installs but just doesn't boot. So I switched to Fedora, considering I've never had a problem with it.

Attached: Fedora_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 55K)

No?
this.
I just switched to Ubuntu after being on the Red Hat side of things, after being on gentoo, slackware and other autistic shit.
Gentoo is easy actually, and stable at that, is just too much time to compile for the average computer.

>everyone can agree on.
source: dude trust me
while dnf is better, is slower.
rpm is better desu, more solid and easier to write/read

don't listen to this faggot, I think is a samefag sucking unity's dick.

EVERYONE hated Unity and switched to Debian for gnome 3 or mint.
For fucks sake it even allowed amazon ads integration.

i might pick debian now because muh ubuntu phones home

Attached: Debian_logo.png (300x395, 25K)

I went to running mandingo... Or how ever you spell it. The arch on easy mode thing.

Cringe as fuck, dude. Wallpaper and distro.

It never will die, and it is not currently

I switched to Arch because it is a distro that stands on its own, unlike Ubuntu, which is still decent, but acts more like a product
(e.g. Arch's website is dedicated to the distribution)
I like the minimalism, as well as the speed and customization that come along with it. It's certainly not the most minimal distro, but just enough for what I want
Wallpaper would be great if it weren't for the quote
Get a different icon theme

Switched to arch because when i used Ubuntu it was out of date and needed updates and shit to play games.

Meanwhilte
news.softpedia.com/news/look-munich-city-of-barcelona-is-dumping-windows-and-switches-to-ubuntu-linux-519334.shtml

Ubuntu sucks for desktops. Got tired of old packages and all the weird things they do with them. But it's on all my servers because it's ok there.
Tested fedora arch and tumbleweed extensively.
I have to say that if you aren't an AURbaby then Tumbleweed is by far the best distro out there. But you have to ACTUALLY know what you are doing, unlike arch. Go read previous TW archived thread they have tips and debunk the usual fud. Second best would be fedora if it went with apparmor instead of selinux. But I don't like their release model. Don't bother with any distro that is an Ubuntu fork or downstream lol.
I ignores Debian on purpose because their decisions in recent years killed the distro for me.

>Is Ubuntu dying?
No.
>What did you switch to?
Still using it.

This, but Xubuntu for me
Both are clean, 95% ready for productivity right after installing, never break and whenever you need to do something sketchy there is probably going to be an ubuntu how-to in the search results

heres where I say ms windows, you call me a normie or retard, I say that I used linux desktop for years and it has such and such problems you say i'm a noob, I talk about how ridiculous configuring alsa is, and how those ancient filters 'lard' or whatever it is that I can't even remember at this point are an awful buggy mess along with the rest of the rube goldberg machine known as desktop "works on my machine" linux and you REEEEEEEEE for the rest of the thread

>Mint

Enjoy taking weeks to get a major zero day attack patched.

Give openSUSE a try if you’re fed up with Ubuntu, or if you think it’s dying. An RPM-based system could be a breath of fresh air for some, and YaST just has so many useful tricks up its sleeve, I think it’s SUSE’s killer app.
YaST has been rewritten in Ruby some years ago; it’s clean, yet hackable and logs everything it is doing — a »good citizen«. (Screenshot related, using openSUSE Leap 15.0 with KDE/Plasma 5.)

Attached: yast.png (1228x873, 256K)

Switched to manjaro. I like pacman and it's packages wayy more than apt plus less (if any) botnet garbage

debian because it's literally the same and free. Since I want a big (root) distro to succeed, i support the mass so one day everyone can will use the same distro.

just because ubuntu is based on debian?
canonical put bunch of telemetry in their stuff in the past and i don't trust them.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (429x338, 42K)

Sames. I've riced my xubuntu with i3 and polybar though.

mint xfce, because of unity

ubuntu forever

Based bloomer

fpbp