/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

Hiby Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1565262116328.jpg (2000x1340, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449072.html
captainrookie.com/how-to-rip-a-cd-to-lossless-flac-using-exact-audio-copy/
youtu.be/ramuFlFGSr8
ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-Walkman-NW-E394B-8-GB-MP3-Player-with-FM-Radio-Black-Currys/132128228829
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0799HZ7BH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OSPSC14SJSVM&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=uco3KGROhz8
headfonics.com/2018/10/fiio-m3k-review/
github.com/enzo1982/freac
pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nokia

Attached: IMG_20190810_170048.jpg (2976x2976, 2.71M)

Im gonna get a walkman AW-a46hn with the in iem included for 150€

Im doin great?

I have an iPod classic 7G. Does anyone have a link to a good hard drive replacement tutorial, or more info on the process?

It's the exact same as the Video/5G

Gotcha, wasn't sure if it would be different. I'll look into it more.

FLAC is for redditers retard

I can't believe we're in a timeline where I have to specifically ensure that my phone outputs audio.

Where do you guys get sansa clip +/zip?

would the Sony NW-A45R be the perfect device if it had wifi and therefore streaming support? i say yes, that's why i wait for the next generation, because i hope sony is not retarded.

Certain mechanical drives won't fit, depending on if the ipod is thick or thin. A tarkan or chinese board will fit all of them.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

why aren't you buying broken tape walkmans in bulk, fixing them and then selling them for profit? Should capitalise on the cassette boom

my history:
1. Creative Zen X-Fi 2
2. Creative ???
3. SanDisk Sansa Clip+
4. Benjie T6
5. Sony NW-A45

Because nobody wants to buy a non-sony Walkman portable cassette player and those who do are cheapskates and children with no money.

Enthusiast market is too smart and the bandwagon market is too retarded. There's literally no middle ground.

There's no real boom btw.

what files does the NW-a45 support ive been thinking about upgrading to a t6 or NW-A45 and want dsd support, which do you prefer and why?

I just stuck a 5 Ah battery on the back of this Ipod 5G, and it is glorious. Are there any other players out there that support Rockbox, and have car adapter compatibility? I'd love to upgrade to something solid-state, but I need the DSP power of Rockbox, and the ability to turn on automatically and pause the music when power is removed.

Attached: ayyypod.jpg (2000x1333, 1.83M)

helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa40/v1/en/contents/TP0001449072.html

Never bothered to rockbox my T6 because I use bluetooth when running but enjoyed rockbox on Clip+, so rockbox support is a big plus. Form factor of the T6 felt much more convenient to me, A45 feels like carrying around a second phone. Hard to say which one I prefer more. Both are very good for what they cost.

We were talking about you the other day.

Oh, that's cool.

Attached: ayyypod 2.jpg (2000x1511, 687K)

you should try machining a metal shell or just 3d printing something, either way this is really damn cool. How much battery life comes out of it?
True, it's amazing. I bought my Panasonic rq-e27v a few years ago refurbished for £25, bit steep but it's lasted me well. Every listing I've seen on eBay either goes for £5 on auctions or doesn't sell, like anything that isn't Aiwa or Sony is complete trash in people's eyes. I bought a lot of 10 sonys for £40 and I hope they will fix up nicely, Sonys go for £10 at the minimum.

It has a metal shell that's good enough, see I don't know the battery life yet, I've not had a chacne to run it down yet. I'm suspecting something like 100 hours though. I use it in a vehicle, when it had a couple of 18650s strapped to the back, I'd charge it once or twice a year.

So, I'm curious: why have a dedicated device only for media playback as opposed to using smartphone for this?

Plz /pmp/, can someone give me some thoughts on this guy? Thanks

Attached: M5s.jpg (2551x3402, 3.33M)

How good is the audio on the benjie t6 vs the sansa clip+?

I power cycled several times, tried different cables, charged for days, and finally gave up on my "3000"mah battery and went back to installing the old one.

another loss in the chink lottery ;_;

Attached: 75022B29-23F6-4957-87A0-7B17C32103D7.jpg (785x644, 70K)

so you'd ask

Well played, then.

Fiio m3k vs agptek rocker vs agptek h3
Which is best soundwise, are any of them better than my Huawei?
Any other suggestions for €100> pmp?

Call me autistic or whatever, but I just don't like using my phone for music.
Having to switch between apps for music, having to stop the music during phone calls or shit like that, notifications interrupting me, plus the fact that 3.5mm jacks are disappearing from headphones, and the ones that have them have cheap, fragile ones.
Those are some of my reasons, they may not apply to you, and if you like using your phone for music, then that's great, I guess.

Those are some good reasons, especially the magically-disappearing headphone jack. I don't listen to music enough on my phone to get annoyed at interruptions but I understand why that would be a nuisance.

I want to thank the user that recommended the shanling m0 for a super tiny pmp. Just got it today and really enjoying it.

>best part of song
>notification chime

fucking hate that shit. that's why I put my phone on airplane mode when listening to music, but you can't do that shit on bluetooth.

what is the best audioripper to convert my cds to flac on windows?

Exact Audio Copy

thank you. i've never done that before, any preference recommendations?

I just use the wizard.

i followed the guide of this guy, seems to be good captainrookie.com/how-to-rip-a-cd-to-lossless-flac-using-exact-audio-copy/

Been wanting to get a nice pmp for a while now. The Hiby R6 pretty much ticks all the boxes but I just can't justify paying that much for one. Thinking about just getting an R3 but kinda wanting to hold out and see if the R6 has a price drop in the future.

dBpowerAMP is pretty good too, but you need to pay for it or find a cracked version. It uses a database like EAC to verify ripped tracks, and it has the best file converter I e ever used.

Is the sansa clip+ still one of the GOAT players?
Mine is still working perfectly except it needs a new battery. Do you guys think its worth the hassle?

Attached: 81b7cTlXePL._SX425_.jpg (425x413, 12K)

Why do you fags spend so much on PMPs?
I bought a shitty $1 one off of Aliexpress some years ago and I've got no complaints, it works great. It has no screen, uses microSD cards, the battery lasts a long while, and it's REALLY small.
What sort of features do more expensive ones have to warrant the price?

Do it.
youtu.be/ramuFlFGSr8

Attached: 1563151678806.jpg (577x721, 251K)

>Build quality
>better inputs (clickwheel > anything)
>just because

go to head fi and read the thread about it on the portable source forums
don't trust them on sound but it'll give you some useful information about bugs etc

sonyfag here
>FLAC
>integrated DAC that i also can use as a DAC on my desktop
>bluetooth headphones (bose)
>A E S T H E T I C S

>Bose
Enjoying those boomer Beats?

Holy shit I miss my N9 so much

very much! great active noise cancelling, great battery, very comfortable and a slightly warmer sound than sonys headphones make.

How good is the Shanling m0 vs a phone?

Actual buttons instead of that touchscreen trash, smaller dimensions, significantly longer battery life. I also find it easier and more fluid to navigate.

I dislike smartphones and use a hand-me-down without a sim card or data (and only use it to text one person and for the maps.me application). It would actually be less convenient for me to use it to listen to music.

It's pretty great, texas instrument chips and everything

Attached: Screenshot_20190810_170503.png (679x466, 59K)

Thinking about getting the Lotoo PAW 5000 mk2, thing is, the battery is only around 5 hours. Any other decent pmp with a UI like the mk2? I don't care about wifi, bluetooth or streaming services. Just options for lots of expandable space, decent sound and bare-bones UI. Money not an issue.

Attached: lotoo500mkii.png (773x551, 1015K)

What's the budget DAP? Thinking on getting me a setup but can't spend much.

>but you can't do that shit on bluetooth.

But you can user.
Enable aeroplane mode then enable bluetooth.

battery life prob, better DAC maybe
I like jumping beween podcasts/audiobooks/flac/youtubes so a dedicated is a no from me dawg

I really liked the way the mk 1 looked but it seemed like it costs way too much for the rather average results it would deliver

I'm choosing between a shanling m0, a HIDIZ AP60 II, an xDuoo X3II, and a Cayin n3 if I splurge. Which of these is the best? Anyone have personal experience with any of these?

never had any of those but almost bought caying N3

theres a million of these on ebay
ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-Walkman-NW-E394B-8-GB-MP3-Player-with-FM-Radio-Black-Currys/132128228829
why should or shouldnt i buy one
does anyone know if i can transfer music using linux, i'd imagine i could just drag n drop files
any recommendations for other ones? thank you

sandisc clip sport plus or whatever is sandisk is currently available

looks like no microsd slot so it's trash

been looking at those, considering one, also been considering some chinese players but idk
o shit didnt notice that, fuck that then

might look for one of my old phones to maybe use, would like to have physical buttons tho so i'm still not sure

Current music player next to my first music player.

I use the minidisc player almost daily.

Attached: 1548137294556.jpg (2048x1500, 655K)

Is that a cowon? Which model?

The pastebin says the e39x players are chink shit in Sony packaging.

Cowon Plenue D.

yeah it seems that way
i was gonna try using my old phones but i cant find new extended batteries for either and the blackberry doesnt turn on without a battery connected so i'm not gonna take a battery bank to it, ive figured if i do buy cheap out i'll just go for it
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0799HZ7BH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OSPSC14SJSVM&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=uco3KGROhz8
this old geezer seems to think its alright and has torn it down and it looks alright to change battery

Attached: 1499381725236.jpg (607x1077, 127K)

I just want a shit fucking cheap device to run Rockbox on, what's good?

same user, whats a good player to get that supports rockbox? (cheap)

The AGPTek Rocker/Benjie T6 was the most current cheap player, but once it gained rockbox support the price soared and it went out of production shortly after. Your best bet is to buy something secondhand if you still want cheap, like a used clip or ipod.

did a lil fucky wucky and got myself a ipod nano gen 3 for 15eur on friday....waiting for that. Sadly no rockbox support. Is it any decent (minus the no rockbox aspect?)

It's a barebones player at this point, but it has a lot of accessory and DAC support since it has the 30 pin dock with an LOD. I loved mine until I accidentally put it in the clothes washer. It uses a Cirrus Logic chip, which fewer people prefer over the Wolfson.

Thanks dude, i'll post once i get it. I'll probably also grab the TINHIFI T2 pros for it.

I just ordered a fuze+ on amazon for $50. There are two or there other sellers on ebay for the same price. That's 50 new on amazon AND ebay.

thanks for the tip, i'm going to stick with EAC for now.
>walkman arrives tommorrow
>ripping takes about 1-2h per cd
>mfw about 300 cds to rip

Attached: 1564168050389.jpg (600x600, 60K)

My Clip+ broke

Attached: 1535722401727s.jpg (250x188, 7K)

Nothing realy compares. Mine has a broken up button and needed replacing. The only thing that came close was from AGPTEK and still doesn't feel 100% accurate. It is very damn close though.

Only complaint is that added songs get listed on their date created so if you paste in a few songs and then the rest later the newer songs are added to the bottom. Rockbox read it on name base at least, so 01, 02 etc

Are volume scroll wheels overrated? What's the optimal volume set up.on your pmp?

ordered this one.
Did I got chinked?

Attached: file.png (1312x531, 234K)

well it's not going to make love to your ear canals but it will probably play the music you put on it at least

Riuzu are becoming the standard for cheap and no frills players. I like how some of them can get up to claimed 80 hours of plains though.

>plains
Power.

quick maths on there for sure

Attached: d7c608582eb4a67adfeea0da3ece1f9ba2b5350dd989b7efbf6626f0de8b98af.png (540x405, 291K)

Is this a b/w or a photo?

Retard

The guy that originally posted it said it was a 20gb greyscale model.

thanks

Is there a buying guide? I'm looking for something with a good bit of storage (250GB+) and Bluetooth without a ton of modification.

Same
What one person do you text? And how without SIM?
Can I run EAC on Linux? My only disk drive is on my Linux laptop which I use `abcde` to rip with (not sure if it's highest quality or not). My windows desktop doesn't have a disk drive but I'd rip with it if I could

audio is better, rockbox/original firmware is shit compared to stock sansa clip
the buttons are shit too
i'd stay away and get something better

what are you looking for?

I've got a Fiio m3k on the way, is this thing really a good place to go. It seems to check all my marks; microsd, decent ui, good battery life, only thing i cant find a cohesive answer is audio quality

Attached: FiiO_M3K_E_440x440.jpg (442x442, 24K)

This reviewer says the bass is too strong, for his taste. It excels at everything else.
headfonics.com/2018/10/fiio-m3k-review/

It really doesnt seem like a bad player at all, being cheaper too. I'll probably be good with it, thanks for the in depth link

>Can I run EAC on Linux?
Nope. Try fre:ac.
github.com/enzo1982/freac

OK thanks

someone update the general guide, its on mixtape.moe which has been kill for months now

I won't rewrite it, but we can at least post it on a non-dead site.
pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV

Attached: 1555629365667.png (1278x1460, 1.87M)

thank you, thats perfect
based swansposter

Thoughts on getting a refurbished ipod video 30gb for like 60 bucks? What's better?