/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1565456887487.png (433x364, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

security.debian.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for KYS

I’ve realized that by swapping between arch and fedora that much of what I have learned of linux isnt applicable to the workplace where ubuntu and redhat is more common.

Considering switching to ubuntu or ubuntu core as main machine and running a gpu passthrough to a windows vm for gaming and media editing, maybe another vm for private browsing etc...

Is ubuntu a solid choice? Thoughts on ubuntu core? Will using a LTS branch mean losing out on new features so much that I have a worse experience

Attached: BDA29081-84BC-49E3-A814-2DAA3FBDA6B2.jpg (750x800, 298K)

>How to upgrade to Debian (next-stable) Testing
>...
>To upgrade to testing from current stable, if you have already installed the stable release:
>Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file...
>Remove or comment out your stable security updates line(s) (anything with security.debian.org in it).

then it goes on to say

>If you are tracking testing or the next-stable code name, you should always have a corresponding deb security.debian.org -security main line in your /etc/apt/sources.list .
>...

So the first part says to comment out any line with security.debian.org, but then right after it says to make sure you have a security.debian.org line. what gives?

no friendly comment

Attached: DidiMew1534551506.jpg (2048x1457, 358K)

So I have finally tried flatpak and I'm honestly impressed. Usually to install Steam on my amd64 Debian I have to jump through quite a lot of hoops, add i386 foreign architecture, reinstall some libraries as i386, reinstall nvidia drivers as i386, make sure they are the correct version, hope X won't crash, reboot, hope X won't crash again. But with flatpak I had to install flatpak and Steam itself and it just werks, it is contained and it adds no i386 trash to my system.

The total installed size (with runtimes) is 1.3G.

Haven't tried any Proton games yet.

Attached: steam.png (1083x819, 450K)

ubuntu is crap, it also tracks you

For common distros used in a workplace, CentOS may be the more widely used choice, as it is basically identical to RedHat.

For both Ubuntu and CentOS, I personally strongly despise their default desktop environments. If you are on powerful machines with lots of RAM, fast processors, and good video cards, then this may not be a concern. Otherwise, Id recommend XFCE on CentOS, or if using an Ubuntu variant, then Lubuntu, Xubuntu, or maybe something like Ubuntu Mate.

GNOME and KDE are extramemely bloated, and I find them to be unprofessional, since they utilize a shit ton of system resources for bullshit

Install a free/libre operating system.
>b-but muh Arch
install Parabola
>b-but muh Gentoo
install Guix
>b-but I'm a babby
install Trisquel

Attached: godfather.png (505x702, 530K)

He has big hands

What partitioning scheme do you use?

Attached: 2019-08-10-132217_1409x420_scrot.png (1409x420, 89K)

For gnu.

None.

One partition per disk

Stop distro hopping.

nvme0n1 259:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 200M 0 part /boot
─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 225G 0 part /
─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 7.7G 0 part [SWAP]
─sdb4 8:20 0 874.6G 0 part /media/DATA_UDF

alright fuckers, I was willing to give shitnux a try but I keep getting 'ubi-partman failed with exit code 141' when trying to install kubuntu on an old laptop with an SSD

This is the last time I am giving this OS a try if this can't get resolved. Googling only increases the clusterfuckerage of the problem because no two people can come to the same conclusion.

This is your chance to make me a convert, otherwise I am going back to windows, where everything starts up like it should 99 percent of the time.

Go back to Windows.

/
/home
/tmp
/usr/doc
/usr/local
/usr/ports
/usr/src
/var
/var/db
/var/db/mysql
/var/db/pkg
/var/log
/var/mail
/var/run
/var/tmp

Shitnux is a kernel.

why would you do this?

Use a proper distro, idiot

ZFS

Windows is trash spyware.

128M: /boot, vfat, esp type (bootloader, kernel, initramfs)
rest: /, btrfs, linux fs type (/ and /home as subvolumes)

I forgot a few things:
Arch has /tmp on a tmpfs, and I also have ~/tmp on a tmpfs

alright, you have ONE chance to impress me. What distro should I try. I don't need something that holds your hand, but I at least want something that WORKS.

protip: you can have multiple distros on a single partition simply by putting their roots on different btrfs subvolumes

you mean the Arch way?

Terminal disco.
$ (while sleep .1; do printf "\e]10;#$(openssl rand -hex 3)\a"; done &)

Any more cool commands?

also adware, malware, etc.

install gentoo

what i do is i make /tmp an ext4-formatted zram device, that is, a compressed ramdisk
excellent for a scratch disk

GNU/Linux-libre

>install manjaro xfce for the light weight linux experience
>its still slower than the bloated and fat Win10
how?

hello, this is Freedo. I can help you keep your kernel clean.

Attached: 613px-Freedo.svg.png (613x599, 71K)

First of all, your root partition and home directory should be installed on a software RAID-1 or better yet RAID-10, preferably consisting of SSDs. Hardware RAIDs are botnets, and you need better redundancy and speed, thus the choice of RAID-1 or RAID-10

Since you are using a software RAID for root, you need a separate /boot partition. I like to use 1GiB.

/var should also be on a separate partition so it doesnt fill your space with logs or cache. since /var gets written to a lot, it should not be on an SSD. /var isnt as important for data integrity, so a RAID isnt required here, but is still preferred.

so at a bare minimum, your system should consist of 2x SSDs in RAID-1 and an HDD for /var. Ideally, your system should consist of 4x SSDs in RAID-10 for root and /home, and 4x HDDs in RAID-10 for /var and maybe a separate /data partition for bulk data

>KDE
You got memed by the under aged Pewdipie fan club.

upgrade Manjaro to Parabola.

yes

Lubuntu you fucking retard

Linux Mint Debian Edition is alright, but kinda outdated. If you don't mind doing everything yourself try Void or Gentoo.

bump
post your testing sources.lists, fagets

im guessing the contradiction is because debian has been taken over by idiots and that page is improperly maintained

Linux Mint Cinnamon or Manjaro KDE/xfce

kys pedo

Attached: pedoflag.png (1232x595, 158K)

>g***le

Attached: roflmao.png (312x145, 89K)