/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Freedo edition.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 613px-Freedo.svg.png (613x599, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

security.debian.org/debian-security
github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/wiki/Differences-between-Iridium-and-Chromium
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning
wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install a free/libre operating system.
>b-but muh Arch
install Parabola
>b-but muh Gentoo
install Guix
>b-but I'm a babby
install Trisquel

Attached: 1531336642998.png (3000x1688, 3.37M)

I want to have a bash loop that exists if you press any key in 10 seconds, otherwise it continues. I've been trying to do this using read -t 10 invar then checking [[ -n invar ]] but that doesn't work if you hit enter. What do?

Anyone here has had success using SELinux on Arch? I'm gonna set up a few business servers using CentOS but I'd like to first use Arch to test SELinux's capabilities. Currently reading CentOS Wiki's page on HowTo SELinux.

How well do the default packages do in order to set up the policies? If I were to install it over an existing installation would that cause any problems for me?

Thank you in advance.

Why did they kill the last thread?

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1488042735687.png (802x403, 19K)

Thread wasn't "friendly" enough, so they did it for free.

since read -t returns non-zero if no input is made in the interval, why don't you check the return value from read instead of the variable
while read -t 10; do
#commands
done

Give me a starsector activation key pls

grep nigger /dev/urandom

perfect, thanks

can anyone using Debian Testing/Bullseye post their sources.list? I am trying to get the security portion working, but am currently getting:
>Err:3 security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates Release
>404 Not Found

>E: The repository 'security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye/updates Release' does not have a Release file.

Also, after updating to bullseye and rebooting, I see my fonts in firefox have changed. The font is nice and all, but why did it change?

>exit insert mode in vim
>takes like 0.5s
is this normal? I didn't pay attention to if this happens normally, but it's doing it now, is that normal?

Chromium is the same freedom-neglecting software as Chrome

Wrong

github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/wiki/Differences-between-Iridium-and-Chromium

freedom is a meme when its gated behind having to use terminals and make everything ten times more awkward

>gated behind having to use terminals and make everything ten times more awkward
this happens only in your imagination.

I call it "Bite my wiener, you faggots".
Like it?

Attached: Untitled.png (1080x1080, 914K)

requesting the infographic/copypasta/screencap of the comparison of all the Mozilla like browsers which came to the conclusion that there was only one that was obviously the most freedom respecting

Attached: 1560729458949.jpg (480x640, 65K)

install guix

where can i learn about how to make different kinds of partitions?
assume that i want to install gentoo on a fresh system, and that gentoo is all about choices, but i have no idea what i'm doing.

people choose to use terminals
you do not need to make that choice
I personally find it easier to just type one command to compile a document but others prefer to use what are basically LaTeX IDEs. the same applies to terminal vs GUI apps. install KDE neon or mint and you don't need to use terminals at all, because they provide GUI to do most of the surface level configuration.

a true genius, or dare I say gegnus

I think the easiest software to use to partition is probably gparted. You can figure out what you want for partitions using this as a guide:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning

If you dont already know, the idea is to use an existing Linux install to partition your disk

green is my pepper

seconding this pls

Time for a nap. I'm a cat who loves to snooze.

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

thanks sis

How can I permanently disable networking on a single account? It's on Xubuntu if it matters.

lol no its instant, reinstall it check you vimrc or your ram and cpu usage while running vim

>reinstall
lolwhat

idk dude im fucking tired man
just fucking fix it you get the gist
gimme a break here I just want to shiypost in peace before I pass out and sleep

How do i change the zoom level steps in libreoffice?
50% is too small but 75% is too large and i dont see a way to manually enter it in in calc.

Bottom right corner you should see the zoom bar, along with the zoom percentage. Double click that, and you can set the percentage manually. Don't know about changing the actual steps though.

I think that's a graphic I made && posted here about17 years ago.

Attached: 1339550542702.jpg (267x400, 119K)

View:Zoom:Zoom:Variable

also, clicking the +/- on the lower right increments in 10% steps for me anyway

last | tac | grep "Aug 2"

>literal mafia tool

Is there a way to get a global application menu on Cinnamon? Kinda like the you can get in Ubuntu MATE.

Is there a way to add a single nonfree wifi module to linux-libre or do i really need to get the full blown vanilla linux?

quality

Just buy a WiFi dongle.

Do you prefer the classic pepper or the flat pepper?

I've got a weird glitch, probably a GNOME one rather than an Ubuntu one. Why is it that when I save a picture to my desktop that has the same name as one that I deleted ages ago, the picture will appear to have the thumbnail of the deleted image when I come to click on it to be uploaded to Jow Forums? Is Gnome caching thumbnails somewhere without deleting them properly?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-10 20-00-43.png (672x35, 4K)

you're being backdoored, cache periodically dumped somewhere but some regular sys operation diverted it and by luck it was somewhere you noticed. i recommend doing a clean install or preferably getting an entirely new set of hardware

Whoever reported and killed the last thread: Fucking retards.

Attached: 1565473122039.png (720x1122, 135K)

Citation fucking needed.

i used to do penetration testing for a large (now part of an even larger one, don't work there anymore) tech-related company, i know my shit believe me

Then how can I check that I'm being backdoored? I'm not gonna reinstall on nothing but your word.

hey there
didn't have much luck on /sqt/ so i'll ask here - i'm trying to fix wifi on my debian installation but i can't get it in working condition. i know that i installed correct firmware for my intel wifi card and i restarted my computer but wifi still doesn't work. here's the iwconfig output:
wlp3s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

lo no wireless extensions.

enp0s25 no wireless extensions.

does any of you know what could be the issue??

Attached: 1565410438488.gif (300x300, 62K)

And it's not as if GNOME keeps a huge cache of thumbnails or anything...

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-10 23-07-52.png (420x201, 23K)

run trace route on your own external ip address and also check with wireshark. you may likely find someone behind 7 proxies

Are you using NetworkManager or something else, and what does that say?

Oh no no no no where do I delete this folder!?!?!?

Is Nautilus a part of Ubuntu or a part of GNOME ?

>7 proxies
Too obvious.

I can't tell if this is someone pretending to be me in order to make bait or if you're a concerned user who has just realised that he's got illegal shit. It's in Home/.cache/. Apparently it peaks at 512MB and wipes anything older than 180 days. Personally I think that's a bit risky, so I might look up how to change it or install something else entirely.

try /etc/network/interfaces

no, i'm using wicd. it's a stock debian lxde installation with a slight rice. whenever i click refresh in the wicd it doesn't show any wifi networks. see pic related wired-default is the only network.
this is the content of that file:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
is there something missing?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-11 01-13-14.png (1280x800, 462K)

Of course there's a way.
What you're really asking is: is it easy, and does anyone here know how?
I did it before many years ago when I had to add a module to my kernel for a really new wifi driver that wasn't shipping in the kernel yet.

But I don't recall how to do it off the top of my head. I think I just had to put the module in the right place and edit some config

it's part of gnome. i still recommend you reinstalling your os just in case you're actually being backdoored by the glowies

wicd-cli --wireless -S
wicd-cli --wireless -l

never mind, i found the answer

haha owned nigger

Try:
>sudo rfkill unblock all
removes all wifi blocks including hardware switches if possible (like laptop wifi buttons).

shut the fuck up double nigger

first command didn't return anything but second one returned
# BSSID Channel ESSID
which doesn't mean much i'm guessing
this didn't work either. i also tried switching hardware wifi button on and off but it didn't work.

Attached: 1560552232464.png (700x390, 324K)

I’ve realized that by swapping between arch and fedora that much of what I have learned of linux isnt applicable to the workplace where ubuntu and redhat is more common.

Considering switching to ubuntu or ubuntu core as main machine and running a gpu passthrough to a windows vm for gaming and media editing, maybe another vm for private browsing etc...

Is ubuntu a solid choice? Thoughts on ubuntu core? Will using a LTS branch mean losing out on new features so much that I have a worse experience?

Attached: E20D78AC-375E-4571-97AC-0EFDA6D75DF3.jpg (215x320, 19K)

rfkill list
to see if wifi is disabled for some reason

Also you said you're sure you have the right firmware installed--is there anything in
dmesg
that says otherwise?

if you don't care about systemdick run manjaro, best currently for gaming, or arch if you're autistic

>ifconfig wlp3s0 up
>dhclient wlp3s0

sorry i read thru your post too quickly to realize you've already used arch/manjaro just use ubuntu it's fine

just use gentoo and level up your looking-up-documentation skill
you should be able to solve any enterprisey linux problem in less than two non-google searches

Is it possible to prevent a laptop from entering sleep/hibernation while a special software or service (eg. Cantata or mpd) is running? I normally want the energy mode but not when I'm on train rides without plugs and want to listen to music. I know that Firefox prevents it put I couldn't find anything about a whitelist.

I wouldn't mind switching to another player, it should preferably has a similar simple interface than the cantata/mpd combo

Laptop: (if there's something special for it) Lenovo Thinkpad T580
System: KDE Neon (user edition, latest updates)
Player : cantata/mpd, apt version (not snap)
Thank you in advance

this is the output of rfkill list:
0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
3: hci0: Bluetooth
as for firmware, i followed this guide wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi to install it (i changed repo from stretch to buster though) and it installed correctly. my wifi adapter is the following:
Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
as for dmesg, these seem to be the relevant lines:
[ 16.647353] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG disabled
[ 16.647356] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUGFS disabled
[ 16.647357] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEVICE_TRACING disabled
[ 16.647359] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Detected Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN, REV=0x54
[ 16.793974] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0 wlp3s0: renamed from wlan0
[ 74.913436] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: RF_KILL bit toggled to disable radio.
[ 74.913440] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: reporting RF_KILL (radio disabled)
[ 88.027040] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: RF_KILL bit toggled to enable radio.
[ 88.027044] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: reporting RF_KILL (radio enabled)
this didn't work but the wifi indicator on the bottom of the screen for my thinkpad turned on so that's progress.

Attached: 1559670870772.png (2048x1536, 3.98M)

alright i'm gonna catch some zzzs cuz it's late in yurope. gonna try to fix this tomorrow. thank you for your help!

Attached: __sheila_e_and_voodoo_child_jojo_no_kimyou_na_bouken_and_etc_drawn_by_chocolate_sable__8d642499c275f (496x702, 128K)

Hay you horses
I came here last week complaining that my gamepad analog sticks don't work.
What I'm finding now is that xboxdrv is not creating js0 in /dev/input/ which would explain why, you know, there is no joystick response. It isn't creating any js device, only the event*.
Help pls.
>did you try qtsixa like I asked
Yes and it requires pyqt4, but the only package available through gentoo repos is pyqt5. Edited the makefile to use pyqt5, it installed, but doesn't run.
>did you add relevant device drivers shit to the kernel
Yes and I also tried without them, both without success
>did you blacklist xpad?
Yes, no difference

Getting hard to play dirt rally with a dpad over here

Attached: autism.jpg (1576x1600, 102K)

I'm trying to boot clear linux from an external drive. It worked the first time, but now it says "PCIe Bus error severity=Corrected" and won't boot.
Searching on google I've seen some people saying to add a kernel argument pci=something through grub, but I don't have grub in my system. what do I do?

Also when I booted up today the sticks worked for about five minutes, but when I moved them around they got stuck to the extremities. Couldn't reproduce it. And fun fact: If I let the sticks control the mouse cursor, it slowly migrates to the corner of the screen. Disabled joystick control of the mouse, no change. Also tried rebooting with no mice onboard. No change

hey fellas. I just found my old hp mini 110 and decided I would start using it on business trips because of its small form factor What "modern" linux os could I run on it to do modern tasks(browse Jow Forums/google suite/slack/edit text/maybe shovel knight)?
specs are as follows:
intel atom n270 @ 1.6 ghz(i686 32 bit)
integrated intel graphics
2048 mb ram
119 gb hard drive(I upgraded it, but fuck the chinks that said it was 128 gb)

>much of what I have learned of linux isnt applicable
Why is this? I thought (especially with systemd) that all distros are about the same except for their package managers? Anything ubuntu-specific that's not there in fedora?

Why the fuck does Gnome suck so much ass on multiple monitors. Looks gorgeous on my laptop, but gives me AIDS on desktop

Do you need us to tell you what you dislike about it?

yes please

Thanks user. I should really get rid of GNOME.

Old habits die hard, huh? I'm more of a KDE guy myself.

I'm interested in Arch and Gentoo but this is the main thing keeping me from switching. Also fuck ububtu use Debian

gentoo
I am serious
I have 818mb memory usage on a full suite desktop with 4 programs open rn.
When I first boot up it uses 213mb.

Drops in frame rate when moving windows, especially between monitors. Frustrating as hell, but I like gnome otherwise. Makes it totally unusable for me. Currently trying out KDE

Is gentoo hard to install? I'm a total retard and need a liveusb for anything. would debian also be good? This thing ran a full suite of windows xp home before I wiped the drive.

plz explain

What's the difference between installing a new DE on Ubuntu, changing Ubuntu flavour, and installing a new DR on Ubuntu and then uninstalling the old one?

I want to try a new DE, but I don't want to reinstall Ubuntu, deal with the fallout from uninstalling a DE, or live with the bloat from having two DEs installed.

Does Nautilus have any problems that I should be aware of? I've heard that it's often disliked.

What the F*CK
My GNU/Ubuntu rebooted in emergency mode and it didn't even ask me the root password. It just showed the root prompt what the hell was that.

Attached: 1532693109541.jpg (495x362, 32K)

xrandr --output HDMI-A-1 --set "TearFree" on
since you can enable it, what's the downside to this? Eliminated tearing for me but is there any side effect?

yes, there is a thumbnail folder. when you delete a file, it does not delete the thumbnail. this is true with windows and macos as well. those OSes may be better at updating the thumbnail though. point is, just delete your thumbnail folder periodically. its sort of a privacy concern, as if someone had access to your machine, they could see all your thumbnails youve ever had, which may or may not be an issue for you. but this is true of all major OSes as well.

Trace amounts of mustard gas.

trace amounts of input lag

>fuckin idiots
>its , not
>proceeds to use bigoted language offensive to yet another mental illness