He hasn't taken the kindle oasis pill

>he hasn't taken the kindle oasis pill

Attached: kindleoasis2019.0.jpg (1200x800, 111K)

But I have

Is the new one worth?

Kobo aura one is better.
Pocket book inkpad 3 is even better.

was thinking of getting a kindle
borrowed the paper white from my dad
returned it on my next visit because hauling some extra device, when I already have a phone with relatively big screen, was annoying.

honestly if there was some decent eink phone with night light, decent storage/ram/cpu/dac, I'd probably get one, as I don't watch videos on the go and don't use it for games either.
but the ones available either only have gimped play store access, have a garbage screen light or have generally gimped hardware because the designers thought you only need ram or a fast cpu when you wanna use it for games

Attached: 1557711090819.png (768x768, 374K)

I already have a much better kindle - the 3G.

Based

Depends on what you have now. I'm upgrading from an old broken Paperwhite, so it was for me.

Cringe.

Yeah, Kindles are no good if you don't have anything to carry them in.

I took the Kobo pill.

I already have a PRS-505

Is this the Amazon shill thread?

>Depends on what you have now. I'm upgrading from an old broken Paperwhite, so it was for me.
2nd gen paperwhite. It's working well, but I feel like I need that color temperature option.

1st gen paperwhite master race
I recently installed koreader and it has an option to actually turn off the backlight and it has settings to make the font and margins not retarded, and now I'm super comfy reading all my epubs
literally what could upgrading possibly offer

Based

I fucking love Amazon, I love Jeff Bezos

The color temperature effect is great. I think it'd be worth it with that and the lighter weight, faster screen refresh, etc.

Legitimately a lot of stuff, even the 2nd gen Paperwhite was a huge upgrade over the 1st gen. Have fun with your shitty resolution and non-white background and slow page turning.

>Cringe.
1 sheckel was deposited into your account.

getting something to carry it with wouldn't solve my problem though.
You can only use it for reading books.

It doesn't even have a headphone jack
let alone enough storage to save a couple tracks.

same, that white light is pretty bad when it's getting dark, even on lowest setting

Well, just got one. Thanks.

And neither will I
Kobo Aura hd is just superior

Prs 600 running prsplus here
Early Sony readers were peak comfy
Build quality is superb, I just love holding it in my hand

wating my pepewhite arrive.

Attached: 8656096.jpg (645x773, 57K)

Hm, now you're making me wonder.
Can the oasis and shit be rooted/jailbroken and get stuff like koreader and kterm?

Why would I? I've already got a Boox Max 2

>getting things from (((amazon)))
>trying to ridicule those who don't
good goy

>I just love holding it in my hand
Lewd

Not that I'm aware. I think Amazon patched the exploits at some point and I haven't heard about a new one. I used to jailbreak my Kindles and stuff, but it just doesn't bother me anymore. There aren't any reading features that the stock system doesn't have that I would want

Based desu

I would like to see the color temp feature on the cheaper models...

I'd get the waterproof paperwhite but my regular one still works

I have a voyage, is the Oasis actually worth the $200

I need an ebook reader that can show full size a4 pdfs.

Any recommendations?

>screenlet
can't read things worth reading (textbooks, pdfs, manga) on that baby screen.

Can you a) turn off backlight (unlike the stock PW1), b) conveniently place and navigate bookmarks, and c) read epubs? That would be good enough for me.

I upgraded from a gen 2 paperwhite, mainly for the adjustable color temperature because I read so much at night, though it being lighter, larger, and higher DPI is nice too. It also has bluetooth / audio at all and is water resistant, neither of which I've used yet. It also refreshes significantly faster, to the extent that while getting used to it I've accidentally pressed next twice, having gotten used to looking to the top of the page then seeing the refresh on the older version.

I like it so far, but it really isn't very different (not that I expected it to be). My one complaint is probably the slick metal back of the case. On my old Kindle, it was a sort of rubberized plastic which was quite grippy. The new one is much more slippery, though the raised battery area on the back makes up for it. But if it had both the raised area /and/ the grippy surface finish it'd be a joy to hold, I think, more than either version.

No e-reader can properly display textbooks. You just need to have them on a computer or tablet if you actually want to read them. No one cares about PDFs, manga is for weebs.

No, no more conveniently than on the PW1, and no.

There are literally none.

Can it do PDFs well? If not, bin it and let me know when there is a good PDF e reader.

Attached: 1561958278289.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

Yeah, there's one from maybe Kobo or maybe some other brand, it is full size A4 and costs a fortune (somewhere between $500 and $1k, I really don't remember)

>No, no more conveniently than on the PW1, and no.
LMAO

why would i want a kringle over a based kobo?

>LMAO
The lowest backlight setting is effectively off. The bookmarking system is already fine. Converting epubs to the Kindle format is trivial with Calibre.

I recently got a basic 6" ereader for 16€. It's perfect for reading books, the task it was designed to do. And since I'm neither a weeb nor a perv, I don't read manga/hetai, so a bigger screen wouldbe useless. Also, the only connectivity it has is over USB.

Try to convince me I made the wrong cboice when I bought it. Go on try. (Protip: it's impossible)

I unironically like pinch to zoom so this is an issue

>The lowest backlight setting is effectively off.
It is literally not. It annoys me to no end, and drains battery to boot. Unless they made it maybe an order of magnitude less bright than the PW1 lowest backlights, which I doubt because if they wanted to they could just have it turn actually off - this is a deliberate design decision.
>Converting epubs to the Kindle format is trivial with Calibre.
I have an epub library and I don't want to have to convert everything. Is it even guaranteed to be 100% compatible with zero issues in display/layout/etc.? I doubt it (though if it actually is I'll concede this point).

Smells a little sweaty in here

Attached: 1565480364141.jpg (1536x2560, 1000K)

the only thing that makes me want the oasis over the paper white is the warmth feature. I can't read in the dark without going blind or having the brightness extremely low.

The Kindle Voyage is the best Kindle to get right now since they're dirt cheap on ebay and are basically a paperwhite but better in every way. Also has the best screen out of any Kindle. They only thing that sucks is that it doesn't have physical buttons for turning the pages, though most people don't care. They're nice to have though.

>t. Bezos shill
Boyue Likebook has 10" models and Onyx has 13" models that can display PDF, neither of which cost a fortune if it's what you need.

I recently got a Paperwhite after my Kobo Aura died. Personally more of a fan of the Aura, since the screen is wider compared to the Paperwhite. If I do get a high end one, it's probably going to be a Kobo since it has epub support and other formats

Why would you buy that over a kobo forma?

chonky

Kobo Aura H2O v2 is comfier

Attached: 1534271596408.png (480x480, 147K)

... So what's the best e-reader, for regular books, MAYBE some manga/comics?

the kobo botnet is less botnetty than the kindle botnet.

still using paperwhite
comfy for my manga use

>$250 USD
GET THE FUCK OUT
GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

The V2 doesn't have a micro SD slot, though.

I just tested my new Kindle Oasis in a dark room

Oops.

I tested in a dark room and my new Kindle Oasis clearly has a separate "brightness 1" and "backlight off", which is shown differently in the UI (no number, greyed out minus button), as well as a clear step between some light and no light visually.

How do these things work that they don't blind you in the dark like Kindle on my tablet on dark mode?

Are there any cheap / affordable 10 inch e-ink readers yet?
I always start reading pdfs on my ipad and buying the physical book midway through because I can't stand reading them on a regular screen tablet.
Before you say get epub or whatever else, not all the books I'm reading come in epub format (different language).

The light gets very dim and you can turn it off entirely. The contrast ratio isn't as good as a normal book with the light off, but it is still pretty good. The new Oasis and some others also have bright white and warmer color temp LEDs to provide more comfortable night reading

Kobo Forma user here.

> Kindle
Small
PDF with Images take forever to load
No Internet Browsing
No Apps
No Speech to Text
No Pen Stylus, cannot write
Amazon Botnet
Durable
Screen Light
Cheap
Water Resistant

>Onyx
Big Screen
Runs Internet, Bluetooth
Runs Android Apps
PDF runs smooth, mobi, epub all good.
Has Stylus, can write smoothly
Chinese Botnet
Expensive
Can be used as Secondary Monitor for PC, Laptop
Mirroring with Phone
Speech to Text
No Water Resistance

Choose your poison.

kinda want one of this two kobos. I now have a paperwhite but I usually read on my pixel 3xl using koreadrer

Attached: image:38613.jpg (2347x1440, 339K)

I got s paperwhite 3, pretty cool but it was too small to read the chinese comics.
Any recommendation?

Wait for an improved Forma.
The screen and lighting on the current one is unacceptable for the device of this price.

Fuck off kike, screen and lighting are both georgeous

Attached: IMG_20190811_121221.jpg (2448x3264, 1.07M)

The kindle looks nice but I read a lot of books and I can't afford to pay $9.99 per book

Looks like shit lmao

Attached: ???.png (624x616, 11K)

>The kindle looks nice but I read a lot of books and I can't afford to pay $9.99 per book
you can get special offers and amazon coupons to get books for less sometimes

reminder e-readers smaller than 12" are a meme and waste of money

>buying digital books

Attached: 1560921348982.png (3840x2160, 368K)

Most books are around 8", so that's completely retarded.
12" readers are only useful for pdfs and cost triple the price.

I thought kindles were botneck locked down, where do you get good quality books in high resolution?

i'm happy with my paperwhite

>botneck locked down
No, you can load your own books. It's just picky about formats, though programs like Calibre can convert most things perfectly.

how to torrent books?

What the shit are you talking about? Get a myanonymouse account and torrent some .Mobi files. Drag and drop on to the kindle and you are good to go. Even send the file to the ’kindle email’ address they give you and it will push to your device.

The only locked down aspect is the books purchased from Amazon which you only need to do for books so nieche that they can’t be pirated.

Take a cyanide pill, you subhuman sack of shit.

>Even send the file to the ’kindle email’ address (((they))) give you and it will push to your device.

Anons, what's the cheapest backlit e-reader with an SD card slot?

Planning on buying one for a family member.

I got a Kobo Glo HD (2015) and a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 (2019).
Just bought the Pocketbook because I wanted something new and I like the physical buttons and open system.
But I have to say that the most important feature, the screen, is better on the 4 years old Kobo.
FML
The white background looks more white, and the text looks more black, resulting in a noticable better contrast. pic related (i hope one can see the difference, both readers backlight turned off)

Attached: ereader.jpg (2178x1557, 1.22M)

wow how did you fuck up that badly?

Is there anything like a file of almost every book someone would want to read in a lifetime?

I would think a collection of about 5000 well picked out books would be a great thing for someone to have at home, all the classics and all the highly rated books of the last 100 years could be put into a file like that, how big would it be? you could just put it on mega

The Kobo definitely looks to have better contrast, but I prefer the pocketbook's font rendering.

Go to a torrent site and use the search bar.

is that legal?

Depends on the book.

Can anyone link to a cheap ebook reader. I cant find anything under $75 AUD on eBay or Aliexpress. Has to be something around for cheap that can display books and Chinese comics.

b-ok

I took the not reading because I'm out of High School pill

Is this good for reading my isekai light novels?

I have a Kobo Clara and it's nice enough

Attached: 500229-kobo-clara-hd.jpg (740x416, 54K)

Has anyone tried the pocketbook aqua 2? Is it better than the kobo h2o v2?
I just want a comfy waterproof reader without DRM.

>Fuck off kike, screen and lighting are both georgeous
Now that's just blatant shilling.
1. Forma has screen flickering
2. EVERY Forma has uneven lighting with dark line along the button side.
It might 'not bother' you, but shit's inacceptable.

Attached: 0RORYskPkgxZ9Dp8mDsC9kMieP9dsX0PQzDZCn41buI.jpg (4656x2620, 379K)

lol who cares just use a reading lamp, wasn't the original selling point of e-ink that it doesn't need a front/backlight?

No.

yeah, that was a rethorical question

is koreader less retarded on a kindle than on the phone?
when I exit this app when reading and then go back instead of being in the same place it drops me back to directory list or w/e
cool reader is better in every single aspect apart from the fact that I either have to use the often ugly fonts forced by the book or drop almost all formatting altogether
an option to only change the font would be great