/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 1565470068921.png (419x249, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/a/43337235
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
curiouscat.me/
Jow
ix.io/1RhR
github.com/jmoiron/sqlx/issues/56
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

benis

eipb :DDD

How the hell would I even begin to parse a custom file format in lisp

Brainlet here. Want a small/lightweight linux distro to use on a single core celeron with 1gb ram.
Tried lubuntu but booting was slow as shit.
Puppy seems cool, fast and small - but I can't seem to get my head around grub4dos and making the thing boot straight into the OS (can't figure out what I'm supposed to edit in menu.lst)

Why are you using a single core celeron with 1GB of RAM? Unless you're a total masochist or extremely strapped for cash you could get better specs for like $50 and save yourself the hassle.

I initially wanted to use it for pfsense learning but it's nic and a usb nic are shit. It was just lying around and I wanted to get some use out of it.

to the user that i was talking about windows/linux ntfs permissions with. Ive figured out that using ntfsfix in linux solves my problem. thank you for your help :)

Attached: 02f256385c291133486d450736c97f31.png (303x380, 126K)

Are proxies (in the US) better than using a vpn (outside of the US). They are both provided by the same company (torguard) i like the convenience of proxy but im willing to bit it and just turn on a vpn for the sake of safety

My 16 year old keyboard broke, morespecifically its PS/2 stopped connecting. Im not sure if its the PC or the keyboard so what would be the best way to fix this? I have grown quite fond of typing on it and I would rather not buy a new one.

Well, I could try mechanical but my budget is 50 eur max and I doubt I find anything I enjoy for that amount of money.

Attached: 6989ee10263d15e1d266f204b40ce97e.jpg (640x640, 36K)

Spilled tea on my keyboard now it keeps pressing the forward slash key occasionally. If i plan to wash it how long do i dry it in the oven? 150f than turn it off?

Using avidemux to combine mp4 files but some of the output video was real choppy and has green pixelation at top/bottom of screen. I kept the video and audio sources because all the files I merged were same format and resolution. No audio issues either what am i doing wrong?

hey there
i'm trying to fix wifi problems for my debian installation but it doesn't seem to work. i know that i installed the correct firmware package and rebooted my sytem but the wifi still doesn't work. am i missing something? here's iwconfig output:
wlp3s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

lo no wireless extensions.

enp0s25 no wireless extensions.

Attached: 1316899515200.jpg (500x373, 57K)

Just got my eBay graphics card in for my xp build. It was wrapped in tinfoil inside a newspaper cocoon. Is tinfoil a good antistatic wrap or was the seller mistaken?

It can short batteries and such but I'm not sure if it effects GPU's in any way. Don't really understand why he didn't go for just the newspaper though, it's one of the few household items that's perfectly fine for ESD protection as it's not conductive.

Also same frame rate and time base?

Frame rate yes, but not sure what you mean by time base. Like, the length of the video file?

stackoverflow.com/a/43337235
Differing time bases are always a bitch to deal with when you don't reencode (at least when concatenating files with ffmpeg).

Okay, so how would I check/set those time bases? Or should I reformat all the messy files first?

least shit browser for windows? i liked qutebrowsers keybindings

When you open a google drive link, is your account and any more info shown to the owner?

I always cringe seeing my profile picture load when I open some retarded link I didn't even want that badly anyway.

Use ffprobe
ffprobe -v error -select_streams v -show_entries stream=time_base
If you want to see more infos about the video stream (perhaps to check if some other difference might cause trouble)
ffprobe -v error -show_streams -select_streams v -of json
"-of json" is just there to make the output a bit prettier.

is it just me or is lightroom so slow and choppy, even on high end pcs?

Are there trash cans that you can open and close with a button, but you don't need to keep the button pressed to keep it open and it works like a toggle instead?

so my bf owns his own small wisp company, we have a fiber line running straight to our house aside from the tower.
My internet speed is incredibly fast, is there anything I can do that I wouldn't originally be able to do if he wasn't our ISP? I know nothing about hosting websites and such.

I just downloaded avidemux yesterday cuz i was having issues in VLC merging, so I'm not the most familiar with software and coding like that.

So i got a laptop with iGPU and a dedicated GPU, and the problem is when i'm using msi afterburner if I track the dedicated GPU's temperature for instance, it enables it for a split second every time it polls, even when doing things that dont require the dedicated GPU, like web browsing or pixel art games.
Is there a way to make it poll only when the dedicated GPU is actually being used?

Is there a way to filter apps on apple app store by compatibility? I got an old ipad2 recently, ios 9 something, but everything keeps telling me it's not compatible and manually checking everything is annoying.
Otherwise, is there anything else I can use this thing for?

>trying to archive webpages for offline reading/archival purposes
>Httrack doesn't like grabbing singular pages and doesn't properly replicate the css half the time
>wget for windows doesn't covert "UTF-8 urls into filenames" properly and the bug report from 2012 is still open
What other options are there? I like Httrack's index listing and that I can navigate between linked pages, but wget had less bullshit in getting it to mirror properly, other than the character issue. Also no index/moving between pages.

Attached: Page 7 It’s Not My Fault That I’m Not Popular Chapter 120 World Three Slide.png (435x396, 81K)

What's the easiest way to change the date of image files in bulk?
Today I digitized a ton of photos from the 50's all the way to the 90's and I want to change the date to those that are depicted in the photo envelopes.
Yes, I could just create a bunch of named folders or even change the filename of each one, but I want them to keep the date between different share and cloud services if possible (Google Photos, iCloud, etc).

Attached: kit.jpg (700x1330, 88K)

Has anyone here purchased aged Twitter accounts before? If so, which site/service did you use?

Recaptcha broke a while ago in Firefox. It was working perfectly fine with the Lv2 tracking block list before, but now I had to downgrade to Lv1 or else it wouldn't appear. Not even 4ChanX's Noscript Captcha.
Did it happen to anyone else over here?

>Uploading files from your IP range has been blocked due to abuse. [More Info]
>Jow Forums Pass users can bypass this block. [Learn More]
I hope Hiromoot kills xemself one of these days.

Hey guys, so when it comes to phones I've realized I really fucking hate touchscreen keyboards and want to go for one with a physical one. Removable battery and storage is a big plus but not required, I've heard the Blackberry Key 2 is good can anyone vouch for it or recommend anything else? I'd be willing to get a chinkphone and bypass shit to make it work I'm just so tired of this shit (even Swype sucks)

does 4chanx notify me if I get (you)s in a thread I already closed the tab of?

>Uploading files from your IP range has been blocked due to abuse. [More Info]
My entire mobile IP range has been blocked

Close this tab and let's find out?

>I hope Hiromoot kills xemself one of these days.
>xemself
is this a real criticism of him or are you just strawmanning for no reason that he's on that shit

QLC ssds are less expensive for greater capacity.
do QLC drives have face Reads but slow writes?
or is it the other way around? whats the point of them?

what is a good free video editing software? i'm afraid to download vegas off piratebay and get some spyware or something

Please guys

Is there a way to block .ru addresses in google calander? They keep adding my email for meetings at multiple times of the day.

Attached: calander_spam.png (1415x187, 23K)

How do you go about finding actually trustworthy, non-sekrit klub DDL sites? I can't find shit.

Why isn't my RGB making me better at games

Not that I can help, but the obvious dilemma is:

secret club = no dmca
non-secret club = dmca-happy

For photo galleries I reverse search an image on yandex and try to find a ddl by using the recommended images function, or checking the page hosting it, or reverse searching other images from the same gallery.

Sometimes you find a deceptively juicy name, like it includes the set name, date taken, studio, a lot of info. But of course everything or virtually everything tagged that well was dmca'd years ago.

Sometimes you find a guy who updates the gallery with working links. Shoutouts to those dudes. But it's still unrealistic since it only means they got hit before with dmca. In short it remains an unrealistic ask of any service. Especially "trustworthy". If you're in for game downloads you should probably invest in something serious.

Have you tried Custom water cooling loops with neon colors?

why do so many websites design their shit with everything in the middle? there is so much wasted space on both sides

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (798x875, 43K)

So as I thought, it's essentially impossible to pirate without a VPN or a secret club? So much for something "free".

Does the data center at which a VPN server is hosted, see the source IP of the user? If so, how can any VPN possibly guarantee not to log, if they utilise data centres which might be logging themselves?

i wanna make a custom loop for a 2700x and 2080ti, neither are overclocked so i'm wondering if a thick 360 rad will be enough to keep it semi-silent. was planning to use vardar fans, unless they've been beaten by something else

if their privacy policy says they don't log your IP but it turns out they do, sue them!!!

What's the best, minimalist yet powerful in just what it needs to do IRC client for Windows 7? I'm a retard when it comes to IRC and just figured out how to use it. Guess that's why I'm in this thread. There seems to be a million clients but I have no idea which are the big gay and are are actually good.

Attached: question.jpg (500x375, 48K)

I took a screenshot of a game and i tried to post it in a thread but I'm getting a "detected possible malicious code" error. its just an image that I pasted into paint and saved. any idea whats wrong?

Is there any way to change the default icons for windows 10 file explorer? i set it for large icons for all folders but that seems to be only existing ones, when i make a new folder it goes back to details

text and such that goes all the way out to the edge of the screen is considered unattractive and hard to read
compare motherfuckingwebsite.com/
vs bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
The first one legitimately looks like shit

the VPN provider might not log, but that doesn't stop the data centre from doing whatever they want

funnily enough, the VPN I'm talking about here is Mullvad. multiple Mullvad servers (in europe) are hosted by a UK-based company, so god fucking knows what's happening with incoming connections. remember this whenever you see someone on Jow Forums recommend Mullvad

mIRC is a classic one. old but gold.

>not hosting your own vpn in the cloud in 2019

who the fuck do you think runs the cloud, retard?

...hundreds of different companies?

and you don't think they're logging?

>compare motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>vs bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
What the fuck? lmao. How do you discover shit like this? Is it taught in schools?

I didn't say anything on that front. But if this is something you are concerned about, presumably you want to eliminate as many middlemen as possible, and the VPN provider itself is a no-brainer.

It's just CSS

Where would I find a half/optionally rolling distro and how would I go about searching for this?
Preferably with a stable core and bleeding edge applications compiled from source.

No idea how I first found them, it's been a long-ass time. They're pretty famous websites though.

No, the websites in particular to illustrate this one design philosophy.

When I word it that way I guess you can google "novelty websites" but still, that wouldn't be how anyone becomes aware of them.

curiouscat.me/

I've bitched about this website in an sqt before but I've come back because I keep seeing it here and there, and I'm thinking about securing my desired user name for it. But the permissions it requests are still perverted bullshit.

You can only sign up by authorizing via twitter/facebook. So I'd only use twitter. But it requests permission to update my profile for me and shit.

Can you make an account on this site via twitter, revoke twitter permissions, then still own the account? I don't mind if I can't use the site in that state: I just want the user name there.

I think there's only one design philosophy for websites.
>backwards compatibility
>accessibility
>content over excess
>etc...
It's all described in detail somewhere like W3C or MDN.

please help i am a very un smart persan

I think you're misunderstanding my fairly idiotic point mate. The philosophy behind practical design is one thing, but a novelty site illustrating it is another.

I didn't mean how do you discover fair design philosophy; I meant how does one discover the novelty site showing it.

By lurking

I'm making a Jow Forums clone, how does the bumping system here work? When you post in a thread, sometimes it will land it to the first page, but if the thread has a lot of replies and is getting old, then a reply doesn't have the same strength it used to

Should I use a mass system? Where the mass of every thread is based off the number of replies it has? This way a thread with a lot of replies will need a lot of UMMPPPHH to get to the top again?

Jow Forums.org/faq#bump
>>Why won't my thread bump?
>All threads have a set bump limit (varies board to board). When this limit is reached, a thread will no longer "bump" to the top of the board, causing the thread to descend through the pages until it is bumped off of the last page and pruned. This method of post-limiting, while sometimes inconvenient, assures that content is kept fresh on the boards.

Jow Forums.org/faq#sage
>>What is "sage"?
>Entering "sage" (by itself) into the [Options] field while replying will cause the thread not to bump to the top of the page. Contrary to popular belief, a sage is not a downvote, and should not be used as one. "sage-bombing" or announcing that you've saged a thread may result in a ban.

Jow Forums stopped showing sages in like 2013 but addons can still make them visible. Also mods can disable bumping before the bump limit if they have a small penis.

Samsung music won't recognize album art for certain files but will for other files. All my music is separated by folder (albums) and all album art is "cover.jpg" in their respective album folder. Album art shows fine on MPC-HC on windows
How do i fix this?

no, its not better retard
i wish we could abolish JS/CSS and we all return to basic text
if you want fancy shit, download an extension by the website and load it from your website
why the fuck are companies willing to pay for the bandwidth to send all these crap JS every single page requests

pretty sure most jurisdiction REQUIRES you to log them, at least for certain amount of time.

>website that doesn't physically assault your eyes
>fancy shit

if you ever make one, i have an idea where only /literate/ people can access the site.
the idea is to have a secret e/lit/e book club.
basically, when you enter the website, you will be prompted with a question regarding some month reading
you will only get in after answering the question correctly.

Why is it asking me to register? Do I have to pay these fags to use their shit or is like WinRAR? It's exactly what I was looking for but I better not have to shell out shekels for it after 30 days.

That sounds great, but it's hard to implement in practice. Who decides the questions? Who decides if it's elite enough? What happens if the standards change?

You don't actually have to pay for WinRar, just renew the trial. The only people who pay for it are companies who are afraid to get sued

>You don't actually have to pay for WinRar, just renew the trial.
That's what I mean. Is mIRC like WinRAR where I haven't paid once since I was like 10 years old or do I actually have to pay for this mIRC thing after 30 days?

no idea, haven't actually used it in a longass time. sorry.

Why don't you just attend the meeting and ask them to stop?

Ah well, we'll find out in 30 days. So far it's seriously the exactly thing I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation, user.

Planning on getting an Intel 660p for $95, I know it's QLC, but will it be okay just for games?

Planning on keeping at least 25% empty for caching.

no prob. In the end I personally switched to terminal-based clients, but to use those you had to learn/memorize a bunch of keybinds and such. Damn thinking about mIRC is bringing back memories of BBSs and shit. Them were the days.

bumping. please help. i donn't know where else to ask this. this is ignored every time.

Are USB 3.2 Gen 1 front panel headers compatible with a 3.1 Gen 1 front panel?

Staticaly linked libraries vs Dynamical linking.
I always tought that .sll-s are linked at the compile time, and are included in the exe.
I have used software that have sll-s loaded at the run time.
Can this even be called static linking, and how is this accomplished?

what does a network administrator "do"?

assuming they'd have enough budget to set up their ideal infrastructure, what happens the month after they finish the job?
wouldn't the network, assuming the job was done right, be basically autonomous, and eliminate the need for any active network administrator?

is it just consulting development/systems into how to not fuck up the infrastructure in place from that point on?

I store my KeePassXC database on google drive, but it's so fucking shit at uploading. Is it like this for everyone? My database is a fucking 120kb file, but literally over 9/10 times I upload it to google drive, it stalls indefinitely. The longest I ever waited was five minutes before cancelling and trying again.

If it works it uploads instantly. I enabled everything with umatrix, so I don't know what the problem is. I just don't understand how the most powerful company in the world can fuck up this badly, so I assume the fault is on my end somehow. It literally takes 10 minutes to upload my keepass database after dozens of attempts. Complete bullshit.

>What wattage is it?
700 Watt OCZ 700 mxsp - bought with some power reserve for eventual upgrade. Should be well enough to carry the new card, if it was working properly (the PSU not the GPU).
>Solid choice. For gayming? Also did you get one dirt cheap from a muynor?
Thanks. Got it under the recommendation from /pcbg/. I play some games between shitposting sessions, so hopefully it will serve me nice.
Fucks a muynor, tho? And nah, it was actually above what I wanted to spend at first, but what ever.
Cheers.

I plug my phone into my mixer so I can hear calls through my headphones when im at my desk. The problem is that my phone isnt making good contact with the sleeve of the headphone jack and it seems to pick up interference from the other electronics on my desk when either plugged into nothing or plugged into my phone. When I have the cable plugged into any other headphone jack the problem goes away. I know it's due to the sleeve because the same buzzing appears again if i pull it out slightly on a device that makes good contact.
Is there something I can do to remedy other than getting a phone with a better headphone jack?

my pc is trying to connect to the uk pensions department, I don't even live in the uk.

Attached: wut.png (821x499, 80K)

ix.io/1RhR
what is wrong with my code Jow Forums?
I am trying to insert a struct into a sqlite db, but it crashes with panic: could not find name time in &main.Log{time: 101, log: "{\"data\":\"testy\"}"}

You paid that loicence, guvna?

Still backwards compatible as of v1.0

You probably have a virus and are part of a literal botnet trying to DDOS them

How do you even get to that screen first of all, and secondly why did you even check it.

How can I quickly download video files from KTKKT? I've been doing it manually but I'm sure there's a fastest method

Try naming your fields differently from your DB fields, like
type Log struct {
Time int64 `db:"time"`
Log string `db:"log"`
}
Or maybe even completely different, MyTime, MyLog or so, just to test it out.
From github.com/jmoiron/sqlx/issues/56