Optiplex Thread

Where my Optiplex friends at? What are some of the changes you have done to your Optiplex?

Attached: Optiplex 990.jpg (450x450, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/32791921814.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.12b44f30jejjpK
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just put a 1050 Ti into my SFF one to be a TV pc for some gaming. Thinking of replacing the fans with a Noctua but the CPU fan is a weird blower design. I don't know how effective it'll be if it's just a regular fan blowing on its heatsink.

Here's my optiplex, it has 6 tbs of anime

Attached: 1541264099198.png (685x401, 48K)

Thinking about getting one off ebay and putting in a gt 1030 for gaming and music production.

Up until which CPU can the motherboard handle?

>not getting the vastlky superior Precision for the same price
Why are you allowed to breath?

Well, you can tell us about your Precision too, user.

first, FUCK YOU. optiplexes are now double to triple their prices a year or so ago after techtoobers spilled the beans on cheap business machines. now i have to go to recycling centers to pick their trash.

i have a 360 for a cheap photoshop/gaming machine, put a GTX750Ti in it (25 bux off of ebay), and a 200MHz OC via FSB. E5450 with 775/771 mod.
i have also have a few T3500/T5500 i got off of corporate surplus (50 bucks for 5 machines). gave a few away to friends as gaymen machines. my rig is X5660 T3500 with 2 UV'd RX560s for mining monero, I used to use the "gaming rigs" for inexpensive mining, but nowadays after the XMR crash I've just been hodling and doing premiere pro/AE cuts using the cards.
also got a G7 3U off of a government auction for 30 dollars.

search recycling centers (electronic ofc), school/government auctions and tech centers first. modern optiplexes are better deals atm on ebay (e.g. 7010 and 9020). If you're strictly looking on ebay, try Lenovo Thinkcenters they're still relatively cheap but not that good still (you can get a ivy bridge machine with HD and RAM for like 60 bucks if you keep an eye out for a good deal)

I'm gonna be honest, YouTube recommendations told me about this. Sorry.

I have 3 optiplexe's that i got early in the year

I regret telling everyone on g about optiplexes

I stole a HP Compaq 6000 pro sff from work and I'm slowly upgrading it. Finding RAM for it is a fucking chore though. I'll use it for streaming shit and maybe as a storage machine thing.

Attached: 1565449225923.jpg (496x604, 26K)

>Finding RAM for it is a fucking chore though.
Why?

no need to give it back, dave

The mobo is apparently very picky about what ram would work on it. Even if you have ram according to specifications, it would not work.

I know it's shit, but it was "free".

Recently bought a near mint 3040 Micro for my parents, cost me $230 with an i5-6500T, 4GB and a HDD (immediately upgraded to 8GB and SSD). A super nice machine, I'd use one too if I didn't occasionally play vidya.

got the same one, for ram just buy from aliexpress

aliexpress.com/item/32791921814.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.12b44f30jejjpK

Nice machine there, user. I wish mine were that light on RAM, but alas! I like GUIs too much.

It happens everywhere. Eventually people realize what they own. Just a matter of time. At least you were early to the party; I would have loved to get my hands on some, but alas, I am a poorfag.

Awesome. Thanks, my dude.

Attached: cat.jpg (500x500, 36K)

goyim I own a 9010, can I put a new psu in it?
I always hear people talking about non-standard mobo power pin connections, but never any solid facts

Attached: 5ba69383b828fc163e524af3_gray-wolf-1.jpg (2280x1120, 212K)

Yeah, you can

Has anyone changed to another case? How was the experience?

Precision T1700, i5-4590 because someone snatched up the Xeon one just before me. Came with a Quadro K620. 16Gb Ram, 500Gb SSHD (don't really see any improvement over a regular HDD)
Came with Win 8.1 COA, worked with Win10 without any issue.

So what the fuck can I do with a 755 SFF? I tried putting linux on it, but it still barely usable for most modern shit.

nice
k620bros ww@?
Really though do you know anything about swapping drivers so windows recognizes it as a gtx card?

Attached: 1564684542837.jpg (1600x1200, 275K)

>Intel
lol no thanks I'm an AMDchad now
(((Optiplexes))) can go back to the trash yard from whence they came

I usually sell those for $500 as replacement computers for industrial uses. Lots of industrial applications that run on WinXP SP2 only and the upgrade to Win10 based software costs way over $10000 and many just can't justify spending that money and buy replacement compatible computers instead.
I just slap on a new XP SP2 install from a dell recovery disk, set up basic admin-user accounts ready for their software installs. Easy money :)

I just use the regular driver and the games I like are light on the resources so they just run fine

Attached: optrash.webm (254x450, 729K)

But why

I've gone through my fair share of Optiplex's as they are readily available on the second hand market. Typically used them as headless media and file servers. About 2 years ago I lucked into a Skylake i7 6700 (Optilex 9010) model for $200. I have to say I kinda like the subtle change in design the line's cases have gone through. Simple, clean. And the recent models have great airflow (never ever find dust in this thing even though I hardly ever open it up). The model I have came with 8gb of RAM and a 120GB SSD which is ample enough to run plex and manage my home camera security setup.

Attached: 81Jw0G1bMcL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 15K)

You can't have people using old computers, they need to buy new ones, it's for the economy.

200 bucks? Woah
Where?

>this kills the optiplex+budget SFF gpu gamer
Nonetheless this is a frustrating thing to see, what a waste of components.

Private sale. I bought a comparable Lenovo desktop i3 6100 system from him earlier that year for $60.

AMERICA
FUCK YEAH!

Is there one that takes 8 3.5" HDDs?

I remember buying one of these off ebay maybe a year ago but the model above what I have is over 120 bucks while I spent 30 plus shipping for mine

Has anyone installed a xeon e3-1240 in an Optiplex 990?

Only the ones after Haswell (3020, 7020, 9020) have those propietary connectors as far as I know.
You should be okay with any of the ones before that.

i don't think it'll POST
it won't with a 2600k even though the 2600 works fine

goddamnit

Thinking of getting one for a winxp box for older games. Would add a 970 or something since they have xp drivers

and it's a shame because the 990 cooler is fucking massive (for its sff size)
the stock 2600 running prime95 barely goes above 65c

max comfy

Attached: optiplex_farm.jpg (2285x1714, 1.07M)

bought this a few days ago, want to make a nas
pos still hasnt shipped it

Attached: 078B0A9C-826D-47A8-AF34-F3C81A6D2327.jpg (1242x1255, 583K)

When Dell pays for "recycling" as part of state and federal regulations they require the recycling centers they contract with to destroy all all old computers because they don't want them ending up on the used market and taking away business.

ooooo

Real men use Precision.

why would you pay $40 plus shipping for something that belongs in a landfill? look on local CL if you wait a week or so you are bound to find some IT company dumping i5 2400 optiplex's for $30-50

I went XPS 8930.
No regrets.

Optiplex are a terrible choice if you like to have fun with hardware, unless you want to use your Dremel. Every other professional/industrial PC brand will be a better choice than the optiplex imo. Still a good value if you want to give your grandma a reliable ubuntu machine

>4GB RAM
How are you even alive in AD 2019?

8Gb is much more than enough if you are not on Winblows, sir. I have 8Gb on my Macbook and the ram is not more than half full 90% of the time where 1-2Gb is actively used.
Please do the needful

even with win10 4gb is enough

I'm helping a friend build a media server on the cheap, but I'm worried about leading him to ask optiplex that has nearly no sata ports for bigger HDDs and no power supplies. Which are the best ones to get for this? The slim ones look like you won't be able to easily fit more hard drives. What do frens?

>win10
I highly doubt that, it chugs like an aged whore on my 16Gb

Desktop size 7020 and newer with a PCIe card that accepts mSATA drives or a couple 1Tb HDDs with the system running from a USB flash drive

Oh, the mSATA card option can be the small box version as well. 7010 can work as well

>prebuilt computers
top lel

Are Optiplex Micro worth it?

It looks like a headless debian server
4gb is plenty

I use SFF, Micro is basically inspiron innards with a PSU brick. No real possibility for expansion.
Can be used as a barebones terminal, but not much else.

Many thanks friend, may you have good fortune for the remainder of this year and beyond.