What does Jow Forums think of NVMe?

What does Jow Forums think of NVMe?

Attached: Dell-NVMe.jpg (999x749, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The latency improvements are nice when you have to deal with a fuckton of tiny files. Not worth paying extra for it if you're gayman or shitposting though.

Decent, but have a heatsink ready. 2.5s are better for gaymen and normal operation.

I have a 1tb 970 evo. It is noticably faster than my 850 and 860 evo

The future of storage

does this heatsink actually do anything for it? mine idles around 50-60°c and 70-80 in games

The flash chips don't mind being that hot, but the controller does. Adding a heatsink keeps it from throttling.

fast as fuck on my machine homie

>NVMeme

Attached: 1564987179148.jpg (471x388, 94K)

>NVMeme
kys faggot

good, but drives with any semblance of longevity or write durability are far too expensive.

fast as fuckk boiiiiiiiiiiii

pleb sata ssds and grog spinnin disks btfo

cope harder S*TA let

If i would have the money i would buy the 1tb optane instead

I have 2 NVME drives, but if you swapped them for sata III drives I doubt I would notice the change.

ST502 mfm drives are still god tier.

Attached: 5.25_inch_MFM_hard_disk_drive.jpg (640x512, 88K)

the intel 660p is same price as an old ssd. 1tb and three times as fast. get one if you dont already have it

>QLC
Good joke you fucking retard.

The 660p has fucking terrible endurance, it's pajeet level crap

Just bought a samsung p961 1tb drive for cheaps
I already had a chink headsink for £3.
>feels good mang

its shit

my laptop server uses it and it's comfy and fast
The SK hynix one I think isn't nearly as comfy as the 950 Pro though but it IS NVMe

Attached: Screenshot_20190810_194707.jpg (1164x994, 336K)

Slap 2 SATA III SSD's in Raid 0. Any performance limitations are now the problem of some other part of your computer. Hint: Oh look, your LAN is still only capable of 1 Gbps. (while everything else is moving at 5+ Gbps).

UM U R CLEARLY NOT A PRO YOUTUBER WITH A PRO TEAM THAT NEEDS 100 Gb/s TO EDIT THEIR VIDEOS OFF YOUR JELLYFISH

To put this into proper light; SATA I could push 1.5 Gbps. This was in 2004. So yeah your lan has been holding you back for 15 years.

It's about the same as a BX500 and the same price or cheaper when on sale (which happens like every other week now) but faster.

My NVMe hits 28Gbps and newer stuff can do 39Gbps.

>6Gbps
May as well use IDE, poorfag

>10gbe doesn't exist
>sfp doesnt exist
???????????????

>nvme
>nvm e
>never mind express

nvme can read and write at the same time. sata can't

Might start showing some real live improvements over SATA as PCIe 4.0 controllers arrive next year.
As for now they're exactly on par with normal SATA drives when it comes to randoms.

make my pc boot fast vroom vroom thank nvme

>needing more than 100mb/s
120gb SSD for OS, 8TB (2x 4TB drives). Ez.

When was the last time you saw 10 Gbps stuff at walmart? I sure as hell ain't. Sure 10 Gbps exists but is it affordable for the average cuck? No. Is there any Nics that are for the common expansion slot on most mobo's now, PCI Ex1? No. They are all for X8 or x16 slots which on comsumer boards either don't got them or are for Graphics cards. So again, just cause it exists doesn't mean it's down to affordable yet.

Goes fast
Far more convenient to mount
Doesn't need wires cluttering up my case

Love it or hate it, this pretty much deprecated the ATX form factor.
I'm sure people still go ATX for airflow reasons, but I'd expect a greater push for mATX/ITX in the future.

Except neither of those drives are ST502s (the little one's a Toshiba, the big one is a Maxtor), and only one (the Maxtor) is MFM.

10GBASE-T is coming down, though. I bought a $600 switch with two 10Gbps ports a few of months back, and 10GBASE-T cards are under $100 second-hand. Also, most non-gutter-trash mobos have two PCIe x16 slots - of which one is electrically x8 - so that's a weak argument as well.

>NVMe
I'll be sure to buy one when their performance is actually useful for me. As is I'm not doing anything that actually would utilise the read or write speeds.

>not calling it NeVerMind-e
wasted trolling

Shit is fast.

Attached: BF63CF36-3E25-4735-8183-3542FC143DB8.jpg (600x400, 64K)

It frees up my sata port

Having those stickers between the chips and the thermal pads triggers me.

>i915 driver for Skylake igpu

Got one because my laptop only supported those. They are fast and tiny, but the price is a bit too high for the small difference in performance.

They are copper stickers with thermal adhesive.

It's cheap and has reasonable performance for most users but it throttles pretty fast so for really high end use it's not recommended. Perfectly fine for gaming and browsing though and great value considering it's like half the price of a higher end nvme.

now the only moving part on my computer are the fans

Attached: 1565413256508.webm (640x640, 1.43M)

how so? I don't see much of a difference between using one and using a 2.5" SSD
unless you meant eliminating 3.5" altogether

>unless you meant eliminating 3.5" altogether

I don't mind them as long as they cost the same as a sata ssd.

Fast, no big difference over SATA SSDs, sadly enough.

I can zip around a downloaded movie with literally no buffer.

it's headless anyway

that doesn't require a fancy ssd

>660p
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

The cache sucks dick, and when you exhaust the cache you've basically got a HDD.

Attached: file.png (650x574, 36K)

Why, is it because you eNVyMe

How is this not classified as a scam?

>make 10GB fast SLC cache
>make the rest slow as fuck QLC

>158MB/s
modern hdd's can do that

It's shit yes, but it still have SSD response times which HDD never will get.
Even if it was only 100MB/s it'd load programs faster than a 200MB/s HDD.

Even if I want to upgrade to NVMe I doubt I could do that on my 2013 acer laptop.

Besides I already replaced my HDD with kingston 480gb 2.5" form factor SSD (as well as RAM upgrade) and the damn thing just fly and is more than adequate for what I use it for (microsoft office, adobe illustrator and some light CSGO, Skyrim and Starcraft II session)

question: are all M.2 SSDs NVME? I have 2 in my computer, one has NVME on the label and the older one does not

>How is this not classified as a scam?
Fucking tell me about it, I haven't bought a SSD in a while, mine were still regular 'fast' SSDs. Now you have to sift through a shitload of reviews just to find someone who does a write test that is larger than 2gb. Almost bought one that advertises over a 1gb/s write speed but then slows down to ~250mb/s after ~15gb or so, fucking BS.

I get that most people won't need SLC speeds across massive SSDs but what irks me is the lack of distinction between scam SSDs and fast ones other than price. Some companies don't even bother specifying how large their fast flash cache actually is.

literally no difference with sata
youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

>implying nvme is for gaymz
kekd

this. ppl are retarded. its so cheap the drawbacks make it worth it.

>QLC
just save your money and get a HDD

>970 Evo gets faster as it fills up
wtf

Loading games doesn't even remotely saturate SSDs, nevermind m2 drives. Lots of games use compression so CPU performance becomes the bottleneck fairly quickly.
For games it's absolutely pointless, other than aesthetics and lack of cables.

You can make a laptop even thinner, lighter and more compact with M2/NVMe.

Yeah for sure it's useful for mobile applications. My point was that benchmarking game load times between sata and nvme drives is pretty pointless.

no, they just use ahci without the NVME.

yes, thats why 660p is so good because its small easy to install and large storage space and fast for half the price of similar drives. great value unless youre some kind of power user who only transfer files all day

It's barely cheaper than an MX500, which is a far better purchase.

Don't question Korean magic. The drive just needs a warmup first.

NVME is the biggest meme technology that people are falling for, there is no real life benefit to buy this even if it costs just $10 more.
Hell don't buy even if it is cheaper because this M.2 interface will take up two of your SATA ports unless you buy some super expensive motherboard.

What does Jow Forums think of 970 evo plus? Is it worth it and expect a longer lifespan than an 860 evo?

be ready to shell out extra dosh for that fancy copper heatsink

>there is no real life benefit to buy this even if it costs just $10 more
but its way fucking faster you dipshit
> M.2 interface will take up two of your SATA ports unless you buy some super expensive motherboard.
>being a lanelet
you dont need nvme then or youre poor

My mobo came with one and it seems to be pretty decent reading reviews.

I've bought a heatsink for both my nvme drives, cost me £2.90 each and lowered temperatures a good 10C

Should I buy the nvme then? I feel like I won't notice a difference since I do nothing intensive. Or would a 2tb 860 evo be better?

If its just for muh games then get whatever is cheaper

>If its just for muh games then get whatever is cheaper
That's what I thought. I just wanted to feel like a baller with nvme.

That's not how it works. It uses its QLC nand as a SLC emulated cache. That's what the dynamic cache is and you have some until about 75% the drive is filled up. At that point you just have the fixed SLC cache, and only file transfers that overflow will slow down. Also reads in practice seem to be perfectly fine from what I've read, even if it appears slow on benchmarks.

Certainly a good improvement in speeds, but not really noticeable or beneficial for 90% of users. There's all kinds of rumors that the PS5s inclusion of a pcie4 ssd will lead to games utilizing fast peripheral storage in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

What extra though? SATA and NVMe M.2 drives cost the same much for the same size now.

The guy behind sliger cases said every motherboard company at CES basically told him mATX is a dead standard as far as builders go. Maybe oems like dell and hp will continue to make their own designed matx but asus, msi, gigabyte, etc have little to no plans for it. I tried going itx but besides cooling it kind of sucks not to have even a single expansion slot. A single pcie-e x4 or something would make it so much better

No it doesn't a 860 evo and 970 evo plus has $100 price difference for the 1tb option. Unless you buy a cheap nvme from a different company.

Outright better than previous gen SATA SSDs but down side is you can only realistically have one of a few NVMe SSDs whereas you can have almost as many SATA SSDs possible where the only limiter is the SATA ports (and if from native or extended chipset for motherboard or if from an SATA Expansion card, etc).

Ideal combo is NVMe SSD for OS and high priority games, SATA SSD for low priority or old Gen games and a HDD for storage (personally prefer 3.5" for better performance over 2.5").

Pretty cool

>Ideal combo is NVMe SSD for OS and high priority games
Does it really make that much of a difference in OS? I doubt in games though.

This is why I like Samsung, they're incompetent with some things like their "mobile OS" but atleast they aren't jews.

>its way fucking faster
Only in artificial benchmarks, show me 5 tests where difference was more than 5 sec in any use case.
>You don't need NVME or you are poor
$140 gaming pro carbon is cheap?

My 960 EVO 500gb died, how2fix?
should I try to push RMA? customer supports fucking sucks?

I'm deploying a NVMe ceph cluster soon

>
>Only in artificial benchmarks
Still faster, I see the benefits every single day
>show me 5 tests where difference was more than 5 sec in any use case.
You clearly don't need nvme if you cant see its purpose, if you did, you'd have one and not get buttblasted because people want high bandwidth storage.

>gamer drives
definitely poor

I chose not to use nvme because I couldnt figure out how many sata ports it would use. I read that an nvme drive might use 2 sata ports. that is unacceptable.