Grandfather Thread

What kind of technology or programs have outlived their usefulness but were grandfathered in and hideous workarounds developed to maintain their legacy today?

Attached: Grandfathered.png (250x141, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yarchive.net/comp/linux/x86.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice try satan. No dev will go to hell today.
Tell him nothing, people.

Everything you've ever heard of.
Everything.
And there's nothing wrong with it.

Attached: 1564702670961.png (500x683, 154K)

x86

Any financial system birthed with COBOL decades ago.
Nobody is gonna touch this shit and rewrite it into something readable, too risky.

yarchive.net/comp/linux/x86.html

Windows

Yes I'm sure this conversation from 2003 on the merits of x86 mean it's still a good ISA in 2019.

email

Attached: 12241CBC-0D9A-4CBB-A04C-53F5870BFB19.png (768x512, 35K)

The entire fucking Windows kernel

Unix

Why, IE, of course.

ActiveX
Basically all surveillance dvr software
IIS

Second

HDDs

linux

Attached: 1545769932797.gif (445x459, 155K)

Nothing significant has really changed since that time, except 64-bit extensions got rid of the PAE shit he was complaining about and also allowed x86 to finish off all of the dinosaurs in the high-end too for which 64-bit was pretty much their only remaining selling point besides legacy software.

The ghosts of my kind would all cry YES

Virtually every standard communication protocol from the 80s and earlier. Shit was not designed to handle billions of devices trying to talk to each other, but here we are.

This. Burn every protocol related to E-Mail to the ground. The fact that we STILL have spoofed addresses in 2019 is a SHAME.

>ie
>still relevant

NT's got potential, it's the userland and MS that's holding it back

the underlying windows kernel is modified/rewritten relatively frequently

what could go wrong?

/dev/tty0

Attached: teletype37.jpg (474x343, 22K)

>tfw even today X is essentially a virtual printer that "prints" 60-144 pages per second

Wow, might as well look at blank screens. According to y’all we should be using the Fallout terminals.

>grandfathered
is this the new blacked?

mcdonalds stores used telnet to communicate with the master server until like two months ago. you had to do inventory and scheduling and all of that stuff through a command line interface like you were dialing into a BBS.

its some web frontend now that i am almost certain is the exact same backend as before you can just use a mouse now

There's other stuff like that too.
Medical companies using decades old (proprietary) systems because they "can't" move their databases.
I mean, what could go wrong?