Virtual Lan

Is hamachi still the only option for virtual lan in 2019? I want to play Hellfire with my friend.

Attached: cow-level-5.jpg (640x480, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/angristan/openvpn-install
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just port forward lol

Attached: CBE2FD68-C165-4AF4-905E-78E8CD1FE508.jpg (499x448, 31K)

LITERALLY this.

Attached: 20190111092316.jpg (1920x1080, 312K)

Himachi is your best option if you don't feel like making your own, make your own if you do, or if you don't care about opsec.

I thought port forwarding only worked for hosting a server, not LAN.

He wants to play with his friend over the internet. That's essentially hosting a server. Hamahci is essentially a whitelist firewall, but if nobody cares about his network, there's no reason to bother with it.

Use GameRanger, it works out of the box with the GOG version.

just turn off your firewall bro

There is no way to connect to a game without direct ip connection support. If it says LAN then the game will only search for games on LAN and there is no way to fix that without modding.

This

Most games have a direct-conenct feature. Also, if the only way to connect is through LAN scanning, it's still just a matter of writing a simple python script.

Am I going crazy or does Jow Forums of all boards have absolutely no clue what Hamachi does or how games work? Port forwarding doesn't magically make fake LAN work with a click.

Diablo 1 doesn't. Its an old ass game from like 1995, and it is NOT just a simple python script to do that.

t. brainlets

I can't speak for how LAN works for Diablo 1 since I've never played it, but I know that most modern games essentially have just one host client that runs the game session, and listens on some port (specific to the game or session) for approved connections by others on the network.

go to sleep retard

you don't know wtf you are talking about

I'm sure that you could find some games where they don't, but to the extent of my knowledge that's how it's usually done in the name of simplicity.

>Hamahci is essentially a whitelist firewall
That's retarded. Hamachi is essentially a VPN. Setting up a proper VPN (like OpenVPN) will also work. Port forwarding is not the same thing at all.

Running your own openVPN server is your best option but it isn't the easiest.

Yeah, because games couldn't possibly have vulnerabilities in their net code that could comp an entire system, right? Opening that to the world should work out just fine for you...

Or just security in general

hamachi is a tunnel, not a firewall or lack there of.

I am pretty sure you have no idea what a firewall even is.

And what if the game uses some stupid discovery protocol, and/or has a ttl of 1?

Sounds about right

Allow me to untangle this web of shit. You need a tunnel, or you need to use NAT in a functional manner to do this.

Tunnel - This can be done in a number of ways, such as hamachi. Or if you have the hardware and care to do so just create a VPN tunnel with the other side. This can be done in a number of ways. If you do not have the hardware, or knowledge of how to do this - use something like hamachi

Using NAT - some times referred to as a port forward. However there are caveats to this. number 1 - never put ANYTHING on the open net with out at least a source restriction - unless it is specifically intended for the task, such as a firewall or service that is known to be up to date with all known vulns closed. Find your friends outside IP and set that as the source. 2 - if any discovery protocols are needed - stop and do not pass go. shit like mdns or game specific discovery protocols will not work outside of your current subnet without a proxy, router or tunnel capable of passing the broadcast or probe traffic to the other person.

>people shilling hamachi
The absolute state of Jow Forums
Just use zerotier it's free and open source, it's faster, and it doesn't shit up your computer

Attached: 1514889166_pepe_noo.jpg (530x325, 39K)

>And what if the game uses some stupid discovery protocol, and/or has a ttl of 1?
I can give you the obligatory "write tunnel in python" response, but I was really just going for him doing a simple networking task by himself as an alternative for using Hamachi. Of course there are other programs out there, but it seems like he wanted a semi-homebrewed solution, since if he didn't, he would've just used Google.

The biggest issues you will run into with these old games is if as I said they use some kind of discovery protocol to find local games (alot of them did) or if they had a TTL that killed the transmission on the next network hop effectively locking the game to your direct subnet.

You could certainly write a code to tunnel and proxy the traffic, but you would probably need to write the program for both sides as return traffic will probably break as well, and at that point you will have written your own VPN and proxy and I am pretty sure you could have worked around the issue with a VPN that simulated a direct subnet connection.

it's called a vpn and you likely have a built-in vpn system in your OS or router. vpns existed before hamachi and hamachi has been shit for a long time

>you likely have a built-in vpn system in your OS or router

most do not - at least not in press button receive bacon kind of way. Consumer grade routers do not normally pack that function.

Linux or OSX out of the box you technically could use raccoon for it. windows - last I checked there was no native VPN server on the consumer versions of the OS.

well there's always openvpn.

for those with the experience to set it up properly, certainly.

I am pretty sure - considering the general tone of the first 5 posts - this is expecting too much. offering an alternative tunnel software to hamachi is probably best.

not him but you can just use one of the 4 openvpn install scripts on github, all literally just werk

OP here, if it "just works" as you say then I might actually use this. My friend and I have settled on game ranger for now, but its as shit as hamachi imo. Thanks user.

And do you care to explain how to properly setup the tunnel interface, subnets, routes, nat forward from his firewall, ect ect ect? because I don't really care to.

so you have fun with that.

github.com/angristan/openvpn-install

install that, have friend copy th e key to openvpn config. he is now VPNed to your network?
not sure what there's to config

Use ZeroTier

open source + 100 users FOR FREE

>ZeroTier
+1, works really well and is very simple to config, the gui is kinda retarded though.

This desu

Create your own VPN
Not difficult