Two days from now I'll be starting college as a freshman whereas I'm taking IT, what am I in for, Jow Forums?

Two days from now I'll be starting college as a freshman whereas I'm taking IT, what am I in for, Jow Forums?
Will IT feed me and fund my useless hobbies in the future? Will IT stop me from offing myself? Redpill me on my IT is good so that i wouldn't off myself in my dorm this year.

Attached: 1409250942115.jpg (300x450, 31K)

be prepared

Attached: 0vv4pspmzcf31.jpg (504x356, 30K)

IT degrees vary massively based on university.
Some universities use IT to just mean sysadmin training, while others mean it for more theoretical compsci.
What's your syllabus like?

Year 1 and 2 were the best times of my life
Year 3 drove me into depression
I'm a useless NEET now

Elaborate on that, specifically your 3rd year experience

I hope im well prepared

Will you get a job? Well if you don't mind working at Target or Walmart you could get a pretty gud job at IT department

Thats not very reassuring, user

>What's your syllabus like?
I havent encountered that yet

You should know the courses your uni offers and have a rough plan mapped out by the time you've applied, otherwise how will you know which university to apply to?

Apparently their IT page is under construction, but alas my memory is shitty right now but i do have a rough sketch on what they offer and i have my subjects with me, which are introduction to computing, programming and then hardware system and servicing

Unironically you are looking on a dead-end job and career, it would be better to take an engineering major like mechanical engineering or material sciences and take some minor programming/IT systems-networking classes on the side. You will have. amuch more interesting career while with IT/CS you will have a very high probability to off yourself after 5-10 years.

>Will IT stop me from offing myself?
It'll probably increase the likelihood
Get it y whole you still can

You'll be fine. Hardest part is bagging that first job. After 1 year exp, you get to feel like a how it is for a hot girl on Tinder on LinkedIn (though the equivalent of dick pics is shitty job adverts and retarded recruiter messages). Job security is mad good and there's a wide variety of jobs out there. Not as menial as many other careers can be.

The hardest part for me is the existential dread that comes with having such a meaningless job. Sitting in meetings with people arguing about technical shit thinking "what is the fucking point to any of this".

Being on an interesting project where you're learning things helps stave those thoughts off temporarily though.

Wow thats sucks, but yeah maybe i can go make a startup after that because these days IT are making network in reality

What you said just doesn't make sense. Have fun flipping burgers

Attached: BB960756-6FB6-42C0-92E8-F6B58A02D57D.jpg (918x912, 53K)

IT degree fag here
I learned more from certs and a year in helldesk than I did in my four years at college.

Learn a lot of shit outside of college. They dumb it down to concepts there so you’ll be absolutely clueless when you come across an enterprise system.

You need to get rid of whatever rose tinted ideas you have about working at some multi billion dollar tech companies

Every business worth its salt nowadays would require someone with CS background to deal with their servers, networks, POS system, even maintaining their fucking websites

Hell I work for a hotel chain maintaining purchasing database and server. It's not Google or Facebook but I do get paid pretty well and I don't have to pay for my meals ever

>You will have. amuch more interesting career while with IT/CS you will have a very high probability to off yourself after 5-10 years.
So, in other words, I'm fucked?
>It'll probably increase the likelihood
Get it y whole you still can
I'm basically fucked then
>You'll be fine. Hardest part is bagging that first job. After 1 year exp, you get to feel like a how it is for a hot girl on Tinder on LinkedIn (though the equivalent of dick pics is shitty job adverts and retarded recruiter messages). Job security is mad good and there's a wide variety of jobs out there. Not as menial as many other careers can be.
That's something positive, thanks user
>The hardest part for me is the existential dread that comes with having such a meaningless job. Sitting in meetings with people arguing about technical shit thinking "what is the fucking point to any of this".
>Being on an interesting project where you're learning things helps stave those thoughts off temporarily though.
I, to be honest, rather do nothing while getting paid. But, if it concerns interesting project im down for it.

Attached: watanabe_you.jpg (643x429, 51K)

>I learned more from certs and a year in helldesk than I did in my four years at college.
Whats cert and helldesk? Kinda brainlet here
>Learn a lot of shit outside of college. They dumb it down to concepts there so you’ll be absolutely clueless when you come across an enterprise system.
I realized that at some point in my life, where you actually learn something meaningful outside of school. I just hope i have the discipline to learn something outside of my program.
>You need to get rid of whatever rose tinted ideas you have about working at some multi billion dollar tech companies
Done.
>Every business worth its salt nowadays would require someone with CS background to deal with their servers, networks, POS system, even maintaining their fucking websites
Im actually thinking of learning some little bit of CS outside of my program course,, because i heard that an IT with knowledge of CS is a high demand, forgot where i read that
>Hell I work for a hotel chain maintaining purchasing database and server. It's not Google or Facebook but I do get paid pretty well and I don't have to pay for my meals ever
Damn, that's nice

Attached: CRT.jpg (1280x936, 106K)

>So, in other words, I'm fucked?
You can change your major any time you want. Get your first semester done and switch majors, the first couple semesters are pretty much the same for the fundamentals, math, chem and physics and the filtering classes. Get it done, talk to /eng/ students, switch accordingly.
If you want the easiest and most fulfilling course, then look into material sciences. Mech engineering is mostly CAD monkey jobs, while EE has a very steep initial learning curve. At least EE is closer to programming.

I'll think very hard about what you said, user. Thanks for the advice. Cheers!