What does Jow Forums think of docker?

what does Jow Forums think of docker?

while we're at it, what do you think about google app engine and amazon web services?

Attached: dockerize-it-stop-living-in-the-past-and-embrace-the-future-1-638.jpg (638x479, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/docker/docker-bench-security
hub.packtpub.com/docker-19-03-introduces-an-experimental-rootless-docker-mode-that-helps-mitigate-vulnerabilities-by-hardening-the-docker-daemon/
github.com/containers/libpod/issues?q=sort:updated-desc
alpinelinux.org/posts/Docker-image-vulnerability-CVE-2019-5021.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gay zoomers use it

This kills the sysadmin.

It makes boomers butthurt and their jobs obsolete
It's based

doesn't it hog the resources unnecessary? what's the point? it's not that useful/

it helps make shithead sysadmins redundant. it's (or rather, something like docker swarm or k8s) good for reproducibility and deployment (e.g. canary-style). but it can be a huge effort to dockerise already-existing things, as our company is discovering, and you trade the opacity of (something like) a monolith for the complexity of a bunch of microservices that have to talk to one another properly

it's just a tool—one with uses

Docker is a pile of shit that is being forced on people who dont need it. Docker adds layers of complexity that force linux machines to become as unsafe as windows machines. There is something very sinister about docker and I will never use it because then I will need antivirus programs that operate like windows antivirus programs. I just dont trust containers because it isnt like the distro makers have any control over them. I then need to trust whoever pushes the container out. It is also going to mean that inevitably I will end up paying to get what I now get free

tldr;
Shove it up your ass and set fire to it

>it's a that with other
kys zoomer

docker inc. shills. You could at least pay Jow Forums for your fucking advertising you cheap cunts

t. boomer dinosaurs who still think it's 2005

Serious question, is it worth learning if I’m a software engineer? I’m planning to make my own startup and I’m wondering if I should build it with docker in mind.

I think it's useful for applications which have shitloads of dependencies and require shitloads of setup for other tools in order to work. You can package everything up and deploy it easily on multiple machines. For instance if you've got some Java EE AIDS that uses some shitty, bug-ridden Java EE server that requires all kinds of config and secret incantations to work half-reliably, it's nice if you can package the whole Jenga tower of crap into a somewhat stable image that can be deployed easily and without (actually: with less) fear of the thing breaking.

If you have stable and clean applications which don't require shitloads of specialized setup, then Docker is an extra headache and will cause you more trouble and waste more time than just dealing with your nicely-behaving application directly. Basically, it has its uses, but dogmatically applying it to everything because it's hip is wrong and potentially painful.

It's a meme. It requires more system knowledge and people to keep running, not less. Docker and k8s are great if you're doing web-based micro services in some startup because that's what the software is designed to do, and because you hope to have sold your business before the long term issues show up. If you want to go with DevOps, look at Puppet and Ansible, those products will solve immediate problems. If you're looking for reproducible builds, look at the Nix package manger.

All it does is make it easy to use the linux kernels sandboxing capabilities. That's literally it. It's a set of tools. There is no overhead with it.

And yes, you should learn it. You don't have a personal devops team.

it's used for environment portability, it's basically a VM that's able to spool up some environment that you make across multiple different machines/OSes (could be a db image, could even be some IDE with premade settings). may be useful if you for example have someone on your team working on a mac and someone else working with windows and someone else with linux. you install docker on them and then launch your container with the dev environment without caring about individual setup.
as your project matures and your setup process becomes more convoluted, and you get more people it may be a good thing since you only have to do the setup procedure once, but if you're going solo/with a small team with simple setup there's literally no point.

The documentation is beyond fucking awful. It some use cases, but its not nearly what it's cracked up to be.

It's nothing like a fucking VM !
It's more like a windows installation
that can cause some absolutely disastrous security issues
Anyone thinking of using docker should make themselves fully aware of all the issues surrounding this crap
The only reason that they are forcing it with paid shills is because people can exploit those issues to make money. Think about it. Why on earth would you need docker when you could just build a terminal services server that will do everything that is being talked about here? Essentially they are pushing the cross platform idea. Think MONEY THINK MONEY THINK MONEY. That is why they push this cross platform idea. They are forcing linux users to behave like windows users and forcing all the same problems windows users get onto linux users

largely a meme that allows devs to write complete shite and somehow get it deployed

It's okay as a tool but some idiotic management types see it as something that must be done to secure the future of the software race

isnt it a microkernel ? if that is the case its totally not a like bloated windows anything.

>Why on earth would you need docker when you could just build a terminal services server that will do everything that is being talked about here?
I note you dont address that part

>security issues
what are the security issues?

many ways to skin a cat, you could literally just write and distribute a bash script to do everything that's talked about here. it really depends on what you're willing or not willing to do. if it's easier than the alternative it SHOULD make money, not everything is better free. also choose whatever tools are best for your scenario, if you are retarded enough to be compromised by your tools you are a tool yourself, no need to get assmad at others.

Docker is LITERALLY the idea of Java repackaged. Do you still see yourself using Java? No? Because non native OS code is slow as shit and compatibility issues will arise regardless. You can't change the way file systems work in Windows, Linux or macOS so you will end up making a compromise either way.

If you are building a fucking app build it for one system and build it well. The moment docker is fucked, you are fucked. If Windows is fucked everybody is fucked so it will be fixed fast and there is a lot more funding available to fix and support crap.

Flash, Java applets where the same kind of idea. And flash apps cannot be run (easily) anymore. But a windows XP progam? No problem.

Before even trying Docker, please read this
jaxenter.com/anti-docker-blog-114422.html

thank you for providing an actual article. i will check it out

>Why on earth would you need docker when you could just build a terminal services server that will do everything that is being talked about here?
You clone your terminal server's disk to deploy to production?

I've looked all over the internet but I cannot seem to find a security audit report on docker from any of the respected security audit organizations

It's a root daemon for running arbitrary software from third parties. The basic design is bad, so there's no need for an audit.

Docker is pretty great. I'm a sysadmin who has been moving towards more of a developer role, and I've actually spent most of today creating a new HA Swarm with Docker and GlusterFS. Very cool shit.

Another thread where Jow Forums proves it is allergic to anything that might lead to gainful employment.

Docker is a really good way to package an application and it's dependencies and deploy it across any system.

As far as security goes, if you build your containers rootless and use a good secrets management service then they are no less secure than anything else.

based schizo 13 year old

this

>Finally decide to try AWS
>Get a CodePipeline that automatically deploys my static site from GitHub to S3 up and running in an hour
>Projected cost is a dollar a month
I'm really enjoying it so far.

Attached: 1470074724733.jpg (534x534, 116K)

>it helps make shithead sysadmins redundant
Thanks God. They're the worst niggers ever.
>hey lad, I need you to install and configure a vm for application X. Here's the ticket, please report back in 3 weeks
>sorry we are out of capacity
Fuck every sysadmin. This niggers literally just have to click a button to start up a new server which is already pre-configured.

Yeah because system d didnt already make linux an unaudited mess

You can use podman with podman play kube or wait for the podman-compose script to mature. Rootless, no daemon, very cool.
The big bois are standardizing all the things so you can just replace the bits with what you want.
I replaced all my vms with docker-compose files and it's amazing how much better my workflows are. I even have a container for adb so I can manage my android phone (usb!).
Don't listen to Jow Forumsneets, the learning curve might be steep if you don't know linux and namespaces but it's worth it.
About kubernetes, avoid it and stick with the simpler things for now. It's very complex and moving fast but for 99% of people here you'll never need it. Unless you want to do that profesionnaly ofc.
But I agree that Docker the company should eat shit and die.

It's kind of pointless if you are running stuff in your own data center. It's doesn't offer much over managing VMs and upgrading packages.

Doing stuff in a cloud data center is different, you don't maintain individual VMs there. As a developer it's easier to deliver docker images to run in a K8 cluster than help the sysadmins create VM images. I can at least run the docker image on my workstation to test.

Its also good for starting up dev instances of applications for testing. Yesterday I needed an instance of Redis to test something. Pulling a docker image and starting it took like 30 seconds.

K8 with Knative is also a pretty nice platform for creating microsevices.

What the fuck is docker and why should I care?

If you claim you're interested in computer technology you should be embarrassed for not atleast knowing what Docker is.

github.com/docker/docker-bench-security

Very unsecure and can't be secured by design

use rootless podman instead (with fuse-overlayfs), or even docker rootless. i don't trust root docker, pic related
its very limited for know but for learning it might be safer
or do it in a vm

Attached: ns.png (2000x1189, 265K)

Been waiting for this

hub.packtpub.com/docker-19-03-introduces-an-experimental-rootless-docker-mode-that-helps-mitigate-vulnerabilities-by-hardening-the-docker-daemon/

Less overhead than a VM

That github project link is a good way to audit your setup

yes, for _root_ docker (most of it don't really matter for rootless)

Figure its a good idea to set things up inna way where even if it were root-docker, it would be safe, then set it to rootless anyways.

ok pajeet

It's all beginning to sound like the shit you get put through on a windows machine.
1) compromise security in some way
2)set up something to counter the compromise, use resources, use time, possibly money
3)hear about some other compromise down the line
4) always have that nagging doubt in your mind that you are compromised but just dont know it

The only people Docker benefits is criminals, law enforcement and Docker inc.

It's obvious you and a few other fags in this thread are Docker employees.
PLEASE JUST FUCK OFF and take that fucking Docker sewer pipe with you

it's security by using native linux kernel shit, brainlet. docker, podman, kubernetes, etc are all based on the same rootless principles now, but it's a work in progress
just use podman, the problem with docker is not the daemon or anything else its the company's attitude and carelessness for security in the code itself. its not a 'containers' problem, just a 'docker' problem

It's like VM but better.

why wait? I've been using rootless podman and docker for months
the 'shortcomings' page of podman is not up to date btw, and most of it was trivial to 'fix'

what are you on about? the documentation describes nearly everything with great detail and examples.

have you ever had a job in this field? sounds like you haven't

Our company is switching to AWS and using all the buzzword approved technology like Docker and Kubernetes.

One funny story though. I was in a meeting where one of the architects of this project was telling us developers about it. One guy on our team is an old dude who is a little out of touch with modern technology. He legitimately asked why we were using a bookstore to run our projects and that they're unproven in this area. The architect had to awkwardly explain that they've been doing this for a decade and run 400,000+ servers across the world.

It's honestly a fucking pain. Unless you've got dozens of microservices don't bother. It's the epitome of shiny new toy syndrome in IT.
I use LXD to separate services and keep the servers clean to manage. Why most corps insist on using docker melts my brain.

Attached: 1561932674203.jpg (290x369, 19K)

EKS or self managed?

Because its easy to use and self contained?

>boomer
>2005
Yike! Zoomer, you are incredibly stupid! Get help!
Also, the internet peaked around 98-00.

It looks like dogshit. All of that crap

based minikube protecting my system from root docker

why are you shilling so hard
is docker running into problems?
Not enough uptake?

kubernetes killed it lmao

sysadmins became devops lmao, they gave themselves a promotion

NixOS is the solution to the docker problem.

You're so dumb you don't even realize podman is a docker "competitor" and together with kubernetes and etc replaces all the parts with a standardized set. Basically docker is deprecated in the long run because they would need to win by software merits.

podman is moving really fast. with docker I have hit bugs 5 years ago that are still there, the issue tracker jas like 500 comments on each one and "workarounds by joe the docker expert 30 years on the field trust me bro". thats how docker fixes things
github.com/containers/libpod/issues?q=sort:updated-desc

Kubernetes is Docker.

alpinelinux.org/posts/Docker-image-vulnerability-CVE-2019-5021.html

Because muh support

Software has cve and bugs. Shocking.
Podman>docker tho