What's your excuse now Jow Forums ?

what's your excuse now Jow Forums ?

Attached: Untitled.png (619x291, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fastcompany.com/90310803/here-are-the-data-brokers-quietly-buying-and-selling-your-personal-information
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Discord isn't open source you tranny they just want open source projects to use their shit, restricted software. You can bet if someone made a deepfake/nudeify open-source discord server and it got attention they would ban it in days.

It “loves open source” but for some reason won’t make itself open source. That’s like some Microsoft shit, except even they bothered to do some minor things like open up powershell.
Discord is positively glowing right now

is that why they don't release their source code?

fake and gay

/thread

As much as i despise discord, from a company perspective you can totally understand why they aren't open-source. They keep themselves afloat solely by nitro, donations and the occasional sponser now that they've given up on "replacing steam" (kek).
As such, if they ever went open-source, somebody would immediately fork it, rip out all the payment code and make all the features available to everybody. Of course, discord won't host those servers -- but we'll host our own. After that, things will go back to the way they were in the early days of discord: Instead of using discord for everything and then switching to skype to screenshare, now you'll be using NotGayScord (or whatever the first popular fork is called) and use Discord to screenshare.
Also they have the government breathing down their necks since apparently a lot of brainlet extremists use it to organise themselves.
Not where i'd want to be if i owned discord.

Ok, then how do I compile my discord server

Don't kid yourself, they keep themselves afloat by selling your data and logs.

/thread

whose buying the 4tbs of text logs of me LARPing as an anime school girl in #SchoolGirlAnimeParadise?

then where's the backend code?

Attached: 1485911050942.jpg (882x731, 132K)

>information is worthless because it's socially unacceptable
ok

m-me

i asked whose buying nigger not if its valuable. because i can just sell that directly to them and cut out the middle man

[spoiler]me[/spoiler]

Google and the others of FAANG do that too and they support open-source. Your point?

>open source software
>dont use open source chat
retardos

Discord's info is valuable because they have millions of users. Your data alone is worthless.

Unless they open source their client entirely, ideally open source and allow running of their servers (federated if possible), and properly implement end to end encryption, fuck em

Discord wanting others to depend on their centralized proprietary garbage is laughable. People have already given them too much use for another centralized data draining service just like Facebook or Twitter.

Use Matrix instead - it's everything good about Discord plus all I mentioned including federation. The Riot client is probably the most polished and best place to start.

they're lying

I can't stand seeing any more of

>Come join our discord server where can chill and share memes!

Every single little fucking thing needs its own discord server now. I can't take it anymore.

Attached: 1565465889177.png (753x639, 515K)

If its not Discord it will be a sub reddit.

at least now the cancer is split in 2 places instead of entirely centralized. The less centralized things become the better.

cope. Google has closed-sourced ips yet they contribute to open source.
Discord is doing something that's really no different, only that they are the little guys

Fuck it, until I can run my own server without any network activity to discord's serverd they'll be not only closed source but anti privacy

>we love open source
>no games, even ones with NATIVE LINUX CLIENTS, work with discord nitro, you must use windows.

fuck discord

google is anti-privacy, but contribute heavily to open source. No excuse.

> They keep themselves afloat solely by nitro
they started from an investment of millions of dollars. they sell data, you are delusional

this.
i literally got a letter from some random ass company in utah
i literally have done shit or bought shit online all year
discord sells your fucking data to what looks like anyone who pays

fastcompany.com/90310803/here-are-the-data-brokers-quietly-buying-and-selling-your-personal-information

Speaking of open source. How would I make money on an open source project?

Lots of people and it just goes in your permenant file, one day they might use it to advertise to you.

My excuse is that nobody has offered to pay me to learn the difference between open and closed source programming so I have not gotten around to it.

often, open-source projects either sell support services, or take donations.

This is harder for new projects, so they often provide source code for free but sell tailored-customize versions

I mean, Google does the same, and they are a huge contirbutor to open soure projects.

>being this retarded
it is closed as fuck and steals info just like their old "openfeint" project did

BTFO

>OP, in charge of reading comprehension.

Attached: 1501350990763.jpg (344x336, 22K)

There's like 15 general threads on Jow Forums/nel that have their own disshit links.

This. OP is a fucking retard that can't into English.

Okay, I get the donations etc. But then that would be the only real income I think. I mean if I would have a project as discord, wouldn't I make more money off of it closed source then open source? In the end we all need to make a living.

Mumble ftw

This.
Only wish they would put out updates and new features faster. Last big one was 2017..

Attached: 1200px-Icons_mumble.svg.png (1200x1200, 183K)

Even more centralization, nice. I love it.

dilate

Seethe

>"discord loves open source"
>"create your server" button
Oh cool they actually allow you to set up your own server now with a FOSS implementation? That's actually very good and I am happy to do a total 180 on my opinion, just giving this one option makes me think much better of disco-
>it's just some marketing blurb and is literally nothing, they didn't release anything new least of all a server implementation
oh

...are you trying to use Google as a positive example?

Stop, this discord tranny meme is retarded. We have plenty of trannies on IRC and matrix and they're just as annoying.

No they're far less annoying

Same lie as "Microsoft loves Open Source". It's Embrace, Extend, Extinguish bullshit.

open source, more like open sores (remember to dilate today)

Discord killed a lot of generals on /vg/ since before, most generals were a bunch of namefags and tripfags circlejerking over a thread's "community," and Discord just made it 100x easier to go straight to namefagging and circlejerking.