/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ thread!
Blinkenlights edition

Last thread ---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

>Links & resources
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

Let's see your setups and discuss what you do with them. What projects are you working on?

Attached: homelab.jpg (2117x2822, 851K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/thread/227212
pcpartpicker.com/list/cXsXXP.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I built a sff pc to use as a headless plex server for the house and some family to use remotely

Athlon 200GE
8GB 3200
B350
GT630 2GB
4x WD 2TB
1x 120GB NVME for boot

I added another 8GB ram as I decided to move all my Raspberry Pi OS's over to it as VM's. Right now running:

Plex
Web server (via Cloudflare w/ iptables drop at router for non-CF IP's)
SMB shares for user data around the house w/ OneDrive backup on home shares
Pihole on VM
OpenVPN on VM
qBittorrent on VM
Nzbget

Right now looking at how to use it to stream music around the house. I have networked speakers in most rooms. Also interested in 10G ethernet so the shared folders feel snappy, might go with raid0 if I can get the network speed up, know no redundancy but I don't mind if those files are backed up already and the Plex media can easily be got again.

>3 vms on an athlon
that thing must be a slug

HP DL180 G6, will I run into problems if I want to run P420 and P410 at the same time?

So I've got this 4x3.5" bay hard drive box with a backpane. The backpane has two spots for molex connectors. I've connected them to the PSU with sata-to-molex adapter cables (the PSU's molex cable doesn't reach the box and I couldn't find any molex extension cables at the time).
I've noticed that when I try to transfer large volumes of data, say, over 4 gigabytes, the server flips it's shit, and remounts the drives read only. Otherwise it works fine. I've read that the error is often associated with PSU issues but I got this the PSU in december. Should replacing the cables fix this problem? I know SATA power connectors are rated for less current than molex ones and the PSU might only provide the rated power to them, and I think when too much is drawn, it might create a temporary disconnection.

Runs nicely actually. The Vm's are all bare bones Debian 9 with just the required services running. I actually run a couple more just to screw around with, one for me and one foot my son. The GT630 was a £15 purchase and handles any transcoding, the CPU only gets hit for decoding in plex if the GPU will transcode and post processing in nzbget which isn't too often. My Internet is 500/100 so for the most part people will direct play anything on plex. I have a 1700 that I will eventually upgrade in my desktop and chances are it will replace the 200GE.

>mom won't buy me a big boi server and allow me to put it in the basement

Attached: 1462488811802s.jpg (250x214, 7K)

Anyone know if you can do a server on a Pi? Guides?

DNS and pihole.
That's about it.

sudo sensors power_meter-acpi-0
power_meter-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
power1: 0.00 W (interval = 300.00 s)

wonder why it's not reading anything

Attached: 2019_08_11_17_15_20_deploy_workhorse01_.png (874x543, 43K)

you can run anything on a pi but you're going to be heavily limited on I/O and CPU and RAM

VPN server
Samba server (stick a usb hdd into it)
voip server

If youre a noob just put Raspbian on there and youll be good.

That's a beefy horse, whats it working on?

I secretly ran a server in my bedroom for years. Just cut the PWR/HDD led's
It was an old pc under my bed, Os ran on ssd and data on sleeping spinners that would wake when used. The whole system was client.
I though I was pretty clever.

Attached: pep.jpg (655x527, 36K)

Pis arent servers you sperg, go back to chinkshit general

I got my rack built. 27u 4 post. I started migrating everything from Proxmox containers to Docker Swarm services in an HA GlusterFS system across 3 physical hosts. Did this because I have wanted to do it for a while and also so that I will have 0 downtime when I rack my equipment.

I have 2x R410s with 80GB RAM 4x 2TB HDDs and an R710 with 72GB RAM 6x 2TB HDDs. All servers have X5650s or X5670s.

Going to order a UPS, rails, and a used Cisco switch later this week and then rack everything and get it set up. Exciting times. Thanks for reading my blog post.

Attached: 1550525861973.jpg (765x1024, 177K)

Yes, badly. Fast Ethernet and a shared USB/Ethernet bus makes networked access to anything other than the SD slow AF.

Install Raspbian and look up a guide for accomplishing task "X" on Debian.

Doesn't the raspberry pi 4 have seperate buses?

>Someone asks a small question
>Calls them a sperg
Smells like neckbeard in here

user is just insecure about his server size.

Apparently so. The more you know. The 4B has Gigabit Ethernet, free from the USB 2 bus. Still not the best server hardware, but much better.

If your still to buy one, better get another device.
There are much better SCP's for server purpose.
Pine64 as nice boards, also odroid

I probably have more ram than you have flash

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.09.08 PM.png (3360x2100, 1.21M)

/v/ here, I want to run a minecraft server on my own hardware and I'm not sure what the fuck to buy. All the resources I can find are about which to rent from online hosts. I want something physically small and quiet that I can stick on a shelf and forget about and manage from my desktop pc, so I'm not sure if I should be looking at mini pcs or actual servers or what.

Just run it on your PC

This or any old pc

but I don't want to leave it running, the idea is to have a smaller quieter unit with a lesser power draw because no gpu needed etc

>but I don't want to leave it running, the idea is to have a smaller quieter unit with a lesser power draw
>I'm not sure if I should be looking at… actual servers
Are you just pretending to be retarded? You do realize that your GPU doesn't draw much power if it isnt actually playing a game?

so you do want to leave it running?
if power consumption is a thing go for new hardware. Go for a nuc or something

The low power x86 PCs in the OP seems like a good resource. Look into getting one of those. I'm assuming most of them are fanless too so they won't make any noise.

thank you

anyone have a link to cracked latest version of unRAID?

Kodi media server and my phone's camera backup storage. Currently have 2TB of HDD space but I want to upgrade it to at least 4TB. No other fancy function as I'm a brainlet in /hsg

Attached: 20190715_150828.jpg (1073x805, 502K)

Is that a prison cell?

It'd be a comfy as fuck prison cell if it is. But no, its actually my house. I just bought it and yet to complete the renovation. Especially the flooring and furnitures, as you can see.

Quite comfortable to be honest. There's a small forest and a mountain behind it.

>It'd be a comfy as fuck prison cell if it is
It would be pretty standard for a first world prison cell, actually.

This Question is not stupid, Raspberry Pi can be used as server. What you need is clustering.

you use it for "leigtweight" services, as Webserver, Teamspeak, Pi Hole, Networkmonitoring, security device, etc.

Have a plex server on my pi. No problems at all.

I have a Hitron router, a managed tplink switch, two freenas boxes and a few other wireless devices, one of the freenas boxes runs Pihole. Basically the hitron is a piece of fucking shit and I want to make my Pihole the DHCP server.
Any quick tips to make this a seamless transition? Will all devices get dropped as soon as I disable the DHCP server on the router? Should I start the pihole DHCP server before disabling the routers DHCP? I'm probably overthinking this but I don't want to piss off my wife.

This might be an even dumber question but do all applications scale well with clustering? Do some applications not work at all with clustering? I'd like a couple of PIs and mess around with a few things including compression and transcoding.

Hi, I'm pretty basic when it comes to unix, should I seperate my services with different users? Mainly for security/permissions but also because I like organization.
Also, can I host my programs/games on a server and use 1gigabit or 10gigabit to run them on my pc without delay?

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3,5GHz
ASUS PRIME B450M-A
HyperX 16GB 2666MHz Fury Black CL16 (2x8GB)

building this to replace mobo that croaked
I only need this for OMV, torrents and plex so this probably leaves me with sufficient overhead if I invented some new use, given it beats in benchmarks my current i5 pc

I really want a poozen freenas box, shame the ryzens with igpu don't support ecc ram.

>chromecast built in

this is the future we chose...

Attached: 1564364360927.jpg (807x659, 42K)

I don't even think the Ryzen APUs support HBA cards if iGPU is used (even with PCI-E bifurcation enabled in BIOS).

at least my SAS controller card didn't work. It caused severe video output issues and could only be resolved by using a dedicated GPU. I think there's some fuckery with the iGPU needing 8X lanes for its iGPU and that it somehow disables the PCI-E slot lanes (or it's a glaring engineering oversight from the AMD processor engineers).

power off switch
power off hitron
power on pihole
power on switch

What the fuck, that sounds like some serious fucking design flaw. Do other PCIE cards work fine then or what?

>Mechanical drives put on the bass woofers

Attached: 1475737788072.jpg (1280x1004, 236K)

dunno. I tried with a B350 ATX and a B450 mini-ITX motherboard with a Ryzen 3 2200G. Same video output issue (like half the screen didn't render properly, even on a 1080P monitor when using either HDMI or DisplayPort).

When I inserted a dedicated graphics card, disabled iGPU and inserted the sas controller card aswell on the ATX motherboard, it worked. Can't test on the B450 since it's a mini-ITX board with only one PCI-e slot

This was at around Ryzen APU launch and someone else seemed to have similar issues (link below)

community.amd.com/thread/227212

Damn, I hate the idea of having to buy and use a PCIE slot just for GPU which I won't need 99% of the time. My freenas boxes have remote management built in, I wouldn't even know which remote management card I'd have to buy.

Ignore the trolls bro. Looking good, if you do decide to upgrade storage, you should probably consider more than 4TB. Phone media isn't going to get any smaller. Also, look into buying cheaper WD drives such as Elements and shucking the drive. May be a bit less heavy duty than Reds, but you should already have at least one backup anyway.

So anyone running a self hosted Bitwarden? Hows your experience so far?

mornin boys

you have some cool gear and all but you're very obnoxious

been wanting to set up some sort of password storage/sync. If it supports LDAP I'll give it a try once I get my new Samba DC set up.

Attached: hsg-20190728.jpg (3800x1910, 2.01M)

Where are you user? Those look like UK sockets but the rest of the building seems off for some reason. Former UK overseas dependency?

But its comfy and effortless to cast videos from my phone if I need to show some family video to visitors

I'm getting a wall mounted cabinet user. Soon. In the meantime this would do, aesthetically speaking. Else I would have to put em on the concrete floor

That Red is kinda filled up to the brim at the moment, and I don't have any other 1TB HDD to transfer them to. Else it would've ended up in the nas. Soon as well, user. When I finally have the extra money.

I'm from Malaysia. We used to be colonized by British before we got our independence, hence the UK plug. The house is yet to have its renovation finished. But I love it since its my first ever home that I bought.

>I'm getting a wall mounted cabinet user. Soon. In the meantime this would do, aesthetically speaking. Else I would have to put em on the concrete floor
In the meantime you have a large magnet you're sitting your HDDs on.

wow abang, comfy room. how much did that setup cost you?
of all websites i didnt expect a fellow countryman to come on here lmao

>it's been over 2 years and Microsoft still hasn't fixed Windows Storage Spaces (you get error if you try to create a pool)

I just want to RAID 0 a bunch of hard drives with full disk encryption. (doing it via disk management doesn't let you enable crypto)

Nice, was gonna guess Singapore when I wrote the last post so not a million miles away. I've worked there and Indonesia (engineering stuff in factories) and for some reason the way the floor and the windows look was familiar. Funny how little details stand out. I'm English so not having to take plug adaptors when I'm out there for work is a nice bonus.
Lots of Malaysians in the factories, they tell me that they can come over and work pretty much 24/7 living in dormitories etc for a few years and then go back home, buy a place in the middle of nowhere and be set for life. Furthermore, despite the conditions in some of the factories, I don't think I've ever met a worker who wasn't happy - they just focus on the bigger picture and get the job done. Cool people.
Anyway GJ for getting your own place, nothing like owning your own home. Hope it all goes well for you!

Would it be worth to run a home server on an undervolted fx6300? Wanted to run rtorrent (~2000 torrents) and maybe plex

This is my cheap server.
Old PC, with 4TB of storage.
Post your ghetto servers.

Attached: cheap.jpg (4032x3024, 3.04M)

>Antec P182

Attached: 1565610104954.jpg (1280x1046, 90K)

Attached: 1559625976561.jpg (1799x2222, 500K)

Attached: 1564316966729.png (566x285, 20K)

Just starting mine. I have nothing so far but have a am1 itx board with the 3850 for pfsense coming in the post. That's my first step.

I run my server and main PC in them too. I scored two pretty much new ones for $25 back in the day.

Can cryptominers get in too?

Pic related, re-wired my rig the other day for easier cleaning :3

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2019-08-09 at 4.24.43 PM.jpg (1599x899, 113K)

>Can cryptominers get in too?
no

storage spaces should be avoided at all costs, buggy piece of shit

Oh, okay ( ._.)

Is this still profitable?

Sure, has been for the 20 months I've mined until now.

I have free electricity, tho.

user, I...

10/10 economics

Every second since I started that I've mined has been profitable.

If you don't have free electricity and/or can get ultra cheap hardware it isn't worth to start now, ROI times are like 2 years.

Currently running a little web server on my pi. Wanted to expand it by attaching a hard drive and using it as a sort of online storage. Would that interfer with my web server if I do it on the same device? Should I rather use another pi to host it?

>openvpn on a local machine
???

I couldn't get OMV to boot on my 2200G on an mITX board. Not sure if it was my stupidity or what.

I also do that. Just do port forwarding on the router for the VM's IP and once it's setup you can access your VPN when you're not on your home network which is also useful for bypassing captive portals

what are /hsg/'s favorite distros for servers?

Attached: 1523076834225.png (2267x1763, 784K)

>but you're very obnoxious
thats my job

it's the uefi shit

Oh fug this pic gives me a server hard on.

Attached: Nice.gif (235x240, 1.93M)

is LVM worth it to JBOD/RAID a bunch of drives as one continuous drive for storage and to be able to swap in and replace new physical drives/SSDs as they come

i feel like if any of the one drives fails then the whole thing is fucked unless i plan my raid+jbod properly

Useful for a secure connection when on an insecure net. Also nice if you need access to a device that doesn't already have a hole punched for it and you can't be bothered to set up a tunnel for.

you are comparing different things.
LVM is a "virtual" partition scheme. It enables one to expand and shrink partitions. also make snapshots* , implement encryption and other management tools.

JBOD/ RAID are a level deeper. and can accommodate (LVM) partitions.
Don't go down the jbod hole. If you have different drives, use them as separate drives. (possibly mount them together somewhere)
If you have two identical drives, u can raid 1 them preferably. or raid 6 or 10 if you have 4 identical drives. You can raid on software level (mdadm) or on hardware level using a raid controller.

No matter the above, make backups!

TL/DR:
lvm: good
Jbod: bad
mdadm raid: good
lvm + mdadm raid: super good
make backups anyway

Reddit: Jow Forums:

Hello raspberry pi and usb 2.0 'file share' general

Attached: 20181212_190524.jpg (843x1500, 459K)

hello $2000 e-bill guy

600-700w isn't much when you only pay $.07/kwh.

Don't worry, my setups are as ghetto as they get.

I bet that reddit plebs are running windows server

Im building a server to run a lab for a SOC like environment. It's likely going to have a lot of VMs to communicating between one another and some data processing (formatting, enriching, indexing, etc). This is the current build pcpartpicker.com/list/cXsXXP. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

test

I have to admit, I do use one Windows 7 machine as a server, but I also have an Ubuntu server, a FreeNAS, a Qnap NAS and a music server.

So let's say I have an old ATX motherboard from a PC, what's the LIGHTEST case I can get for it? is there anything in the form factor of like those synolgy NAS boxs?

>LIGHTEST
Fuck knows. Who even buys cases based on how much they weigh? What are you even trying to do? I could maybe understand wanting something small, but light?

Something I could haul around at a moments notice if I felt like it. This is more or less just a hypothetical, I'll probably just buy a 1U rack and shove it in their

>haul around at a moments notice

offline cloud serving