Whats the best programming language?

So I was wondering what Jow Forums's opinion is on what programming language is the best. Also if you want you can also post what your favourite programming language is as well.

Attached: 226px-The_C_Programming_Language_logo.svg.png (226x240, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pythonclock.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

C for learning.
Java for employment.
Python for looking cool in a start up.
Modern COBOL for money.

wow this is the thread that archived the one I was posting in? what a waste

lisp is the most powerful programming language.

There is no best yet.
This should have been a single post in the /dpt/. Lurk more before posting on a board.

RIP.

Cliche, but PLs really are tools. You need to specify your problem before choosing a lang. That said I like when constraints are actualy expressed in the code, so I like PLs that have very expressive type systems. Haskell is the one that I (kinda) know, but I'm starting to look at Idris.

literally Cpp and no one can argue with this

Nim

C++

I unironically use R5RS Scheme for everything.

Rust

Objectively and factually: binary and assembly. Ignore all the other niggers ITT.

Enlightened.

It's super comfy and very aesthetic

C or Rust for most things. R for data science and markdown.

>Java for employment.
I wouldn't choose to work at a place that uses Java. Neither should you.

>Python for looking cool in a start up.
Python is not a good language for startups. At best its a casual scripting language.

>C for learning
C is good for most projects. Unless you are working on an AAA video game with 200 other people, using C is a solid choice for anything. A more modern alternative is Rust.

Cpp adds a bunch of bloated trash you don't need. C is simpler and therefore better.

Attached: file.png (728x793, 676K)

Haskell

>Python is not a good language for startups. At best its a casual scripting language.
It helps a lot extending the cli when shell scripts are a no go, but I'm not sure if I would call it casual.
It's a clusterfuck due to lack of compatibility among 2.7 and 3 tho.

The official Rust book is too complicated for me is there a book for retards
I just want to program as a hobby

Attached: 1552728825537.png (285x280, 43K)

>Caring about 2.X these days
Most people have abandoned 2.7 at this point. Pretty awful that some companies still push it pythonclock.org/

>Cpp adds a bunch of bloated trash you don't need. C is simpler and therefore better.
>still recommends rust

Attached: le_trashman.jpg (1040x746, 113K)

python is great for network automation

python for building stuff fast

elixir for building reliable stuff

maybe OCaml for anything else

Scheme for scripting.
Clojure for work and web shit.
Common lisp for everything else.

We have an in-house language that looks a bit like C++ but without all the hassles of having to know what to include, it also has a very rich domain specific API.

>the best
Means nothing. Every language has pros and cons, different languages are also meant for different purposes.

Care to elaborate on how you use scheme? The standard library seems pretty nonexistent unless you tie yourself to a specific implementation (e.g. chicken, guile, etc).

They actually fucked up the web what should we tell the man who told is not to blow it like Bowie says?

>Cpp
>C but bloated

>Rust
>Completely different language

There is no best programming language because programming is too general. Here are some good ones for particular domains though.
>C
>Scheme
>Haskell

nim, its practically pseudo code but not python

I learned programming with c#, because my school had licences from Microsoft. It remains as my favorite language

Attached: c#.png (737x692, 18K)

Everything is a trade-off.

Utility (features)
Simplicity (few things to master)
Ubiquity (it's actually used)

... Pick two.

Utility + Ubiquity = C++, Java
Simplicity + Ubiquity = C
Utility + simplicity = Perl, Perl 6

utility, simplicity, ubiquity ~~ Python