Tell my why I shouldn't just buy a pentium 4. They run up to 3.8ghz, which is just as high as anything else...

Tell my why I shouldn't just buy a pentium 4. They run up to 3.8ghz, which is just as high as anything else. Sure they're only single core, but most programs are only single threaded anyway.

Attached: intel_pentium_4_processor.gif (201x201, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-L7500-vs-Intel-Pentium-D-320GHz/m6265vsm1730
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because there are more things to performance than clock speed.

In those 3.8 ghz they get less done than an old shitty atom running at 1 ghz.

Try it and get back to us.

I have one and it runs Linux just fine.

Maybe if the atom had 4 cores and was running a multithreaded program

LONGER PIPELINE

That 3.8 GHz P4 gets destroyed by a 2.2 GHz AMD K8 CPU, why not get one of those instead?

they have terrible ipc and are a leading cause of house fires

Because clock speeds aren't everything.
The architecture and IPC matter as well.

>2.2ghz is faster than 3.8ghz

How does math work.

Sure, the 2.2ghz cpu might be more power efficient, but certainly not faster

IPC is a buzzword nobody on Jow Forums understands

It wins at literally everything except encoding video.

shitty bait but just in case any lurker is actually reading this, clock frequency doesn't matter for shit and literally never has when evaluating performance of a processor outside of comparisons with other processors of the same architecture/family.

i had a celly D oc'ed to 3.6ghz back in the day and it sucked balls

That's not how CPUs work, dingus. Put a 350MHz PowerPC against a 400MHz x86 processor and watch the x86 get fucking WREKT.

But the Pentium 4 is x86, same as current gen processors

completely different microarchitecture and also lacks many instruction set extensions for things like SIMD/vector processing (which itself was about the only thing NetBurst was particularly excellent at for its time)

>I run only one process at the same time
how?

if you can find something that isn't an apple computer to run software, because I don't think there's a powerPC windows, which means at least 50% of software is off limits

Frequency means nothing, retard. Kill yourself.

Because netburst ipc is abyssmal.

Better comparison would probably be x86 versus MIPS/Alpha or fuck, most mainframes and minicomputers against anything on the desktop.

Missed the point, but there was a Windows NT port for PowerPC. The Alpha version was the only one worth a shit though since it had FX!32 for running x86 applications.

Pentium 4 had SSE2 tho.

You try that and get back to us.

now we're up to SSE4+AVX

That doesn't come on OP's Pentium 4 tho.

If I didn't have a plethora of superior hardware available to me for basically free, I could easily get by on a hyperthreaded Prescott P4. The Pentium 4 laptops with Intel iGPU's even have hardware acceleration in Firefox Quantum, making web browsing a breeze.

Just pair it with a decent GPU to help out with video decoding / web rendering, and you'll be fine. Just don't expect to play any (((modern))) games or anything.

lmao @ your life Bitch

no shit retard

just hope you have home and content insurance OP

Attached: 1557908726554.png (801x1500, 973K)

here OP
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle

Try playing back a 1080p video on Youtube in a browser and see how it performs.

Attached: Putin clapping.gif (240x178, 296K)

Non-HT P4s have absolutely no value. Maybe the HT ones could make a really shit server, but most newer OSs will run like a dumpster fire on memory that slow.

>What are instructions per clock cycle
Retard

Interesting, I've tried that with a C2D with integrated GPU and it can't even handle youtube unless you go to 360p.

>1080p
>Pentium 4
That shit can't handle 480p on modern youtube.

I can get a Pentium D to run 720p videos just fine with mpv, using the browser is out of question.

Any Pentium 4 is useless nowadays. You can find Core2Duo for $5.

but my c2d thinkpad can run 1080p30 videos on the bloated yt site just fine
it explodes with 60fps videos though

Probably using hardware acceleration. What C2D btw?

Sounds unlikely, you're probably watching with skipping but you aren't thinking about it.

Exactly, that was my point. I'd say even 360p would drop frames.

Yes, 60fps is a bit much for most C2D.

I got one up to 4.3, it bsod after about 10 minutes though. Had it 12 hour stable at 4.2 though

L7500, doubt this thing has HW acceleration with current stuff like vp9
Yeah you're right, it drops like 3% of total frames while watching 1080p30 directly from the site and didn't notice.
Locally with mpv YT works fine though and even 10bit cartoons work great, not bad for a 13 year old shitbox.

Attached: 342.jpg (1024x768, 467K)

Not even remotely true (their IPC is roughly on par with a Pentium MMX), but still funny.

Because if you're old enough to remember, they performed worse than a Pentium 3 and Intel paid for favourable reviews as well as borking code for benchmarking reviews that favoured Intel chips over AMD. There was a class action lawsuit over it.

You should get one OP. I think this is a brilliant idea. Throw whatever trash you're using right now and get a Pentium 4.

I miss the old day when it was almost all about the mhz/ghz race, simple times.

100% hardware acceleration, youtube won't use vp9 if your machine doesn't support it afaik. See, that thing is worse than my Pentium D piece of shit, and that thing is barely useable on Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-L7500-vs-Intel-Pentium-D-320GHz/m6265vsm1730

They eat power like a fat kid eats candy.

so do the 200W faildozers and i9s with multi-slot GPUs and 1200W power supplies that most gamer kids are spewing memes on Jow Forums from but nobody seems to care about that

Probably because they offer vastly greater performance per watt.

>youtube won't use vp9 if your machine doesn't support it afaik
It does according to the stats while watching a video
>and that thing is barely useable on Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM
This runs Win10 with 4GB of RAM.

so did the P4 as a new product, it's still a waste of electricity, just use a raspberry pi.

Pentium 4 wastes power like crazy and provides barely no performance. There's absolutely no reason to use them.

>a C2D is worse than my Pentium D

No.

>It does according to the stats while watching a video
It shouldn't, maybe it's a bug. You can force h264 by doing something I forgot tho, but you are better just using mpv, it's much better.
>This runs Win10 with 4GB of RAM.
I'm sorry. I'm about to throw that shit away and get a $5 C2D that performs like 80% better because it's simply unusable in its current state.

That's what I thought lmao, but it's an early, low power one, so it's kinda justifiable.

>but you are better just using mpv, it's much better
Indeed, as i said earlier jewtube with mpv+yt-dl works excellent.
>I'm sorry.
Why? It runs great for basic stuff.

C2D is based, I had a 2009 C2D E7600 iMac with an HD 4670 for a bit, it was very usable, web browsing was fast, minecraft 1.12 ran fine at high settings at 40fps, all under gayOS of all things, but that's because Windows can't handle an HDD for shit.

>Why? It runs great for basic stuff.
Don't lie user, I know how it performs. It's far from "great". And desu, I just bought an e5800 while we were shitposting. Maybe this will be good enough for a media server now.

But i use it everyday, can do basic stuff fine such as browsing/sketching/watching videos and doing ms office stuff.
The only downside is the shitty 4h battery life, sadly there's only one upgrade from this thing.

I wouldn't agree with browsing being any good, because it is really painful. But for basic office tasks, maybe it's good enough.

Wat. My ThinkPad Z61t has a shitty 65nm 2GHz C2D, and it plays 720p YouTube just fine. I’m using Xubuntu, but windows 7 performs similarly.