Curmudgeonly boomers vindicated yet again

Curmudgeonly boomers vindicated yet again

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-11-19-55-17-221_io.github.hidroh.materialistic.jpg (1080x1785, 464K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7xvSntrZc0E
youtube.com/watch?v=5NgFpIZ9cCE
navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2100&tid=1287&ct=2
theverge.com/2019/8/11/20800111/us-navy-uss-john-s-mccain-crash-ntsb-report-touchscreen-mechanical-controls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I mean, you wouldn't drive a car with a touchscreen, so why pilot a massive war ready ship with a touchscreen?

>Ugh! Why do I need to keep reminding you how to arm the cruise missiles. If you open the hamburger menu it's under offensive options > conventional. Its intuitive! Fucking boomers

Star trek TNG: science fiction, not science fact.

Anyone with a brain could tell you touchscreen controls are garbage. They were only ever created as a compromise since carrying a full size mouse and keyboard with you everywhere to use with your phone was impractical. Then when phones took off, people thought that meant touchscreen controls were actually GOOD and started shoving them in other places. Hopefully this trend dies and we can go back to mechanical controls for everything where it makes sense to use them.

kek

The biggest problem here is that a ship is an unstable platform.
The sea is not calm most of the time. The ship is moving up and down, around and around, and precisely operating touch controls could be difficult where mechanical controls aren't.

I don't think that is the driving factor here

It was dumb boomers who have been installing them in everything in the first place.

Attached: 1556414376753.jpg (550x529, 74K)

> US navy surface fleet
> war ready

The ship OP's article is referencing was filled with workstations with equipment that didn't work, and crew members would dismantle workstations for parts. This meant, for instance, that there were supposed to be two different navigation workstations on the ship in two different rooms. One for navigation and one for missiles. The one for the navigation room wasn't working because in the event of war the missile room needed that computer. So this meant any time you needed navigation information the navigator would just call the missile guy in another room.

Take that information and apply it to touch screens. Imagine a workstation that needed its touchscreen controls but it broke down and there were no screens from other workstations to scavenge from.

fucking this

>touchscreens on military equipment
Holy fuck, what moron thought that was a good idea?

Attached: Michael Bay Goats.gif (320x173, 1.63M)

Touchscreens aren't inherently bad. It's implementation that matters.

it’s a boat, try using a touchscreen when you’re bleeding or drenched with seawater, it won’t register

>bleeding or drenched with seawater
Why the fuck would the people in the control room be drenched with seawater or bleeding? And touchscreens would still work anyways as long as they're not using cheap shit.

Yes they are. Every fucking touchscreen device is an exercise in fucking frustration and bullshit. It was a bad fucking idea and never should have been widely implemented.

>ITT: a bunch of plebs try to explain the importance of touch screen vs mechanical controls on a boat that they know absolutely nothing about.

Oh god my sides.

No

how do you undo typing on an ipad?

Touchscreens are inherently bad for 99% of applications.

Also, for the applications where they are useful, requiring a stylus is frequently mandatory. Which means that if a finger is the primary input method then it's inferior.

Says the Dumbest Generational struggling to type anything on his tiny little shitphone and has to use word completion bullshit to not make any errors and still can't type nearly as fast as the average touch typist on a real fucking keyboard.

>ipad

get fucked zoomer phone posters lmao

Why are you capitalizing "dumbest" and "generational"? I thought real keyboards were superior. Or maybe it's the person using the tool is what matters.

user said the implementation is what matters, iPad is considered the best implementation so how do you undo on one today?

F-35s have touch screens too. :^)

You don't need to know anything about the boat. Touch screens suck for any real work.

Don't worry OP they'll fix it on the OTA update ;)

swipe left on the erroneous text with three fingers

Worse than that, really

the USS McCain collision happened *while the ship was transiting the Singapore Strait in heavy traffic at night*

Yes but the ridiculousness of it all make me feel warm and fuzzy inside as I am actually a controls intergrator for industrial machines. Some guys get it but the summerfags crack me up. It's like their pretending they've driven a boat like that before.

Except no one has pretended that retard and youre just trying to show off.

I'm sure the US Navy has driven a few boats before.

They want mechanical controls.

>Why the fuck would the people in the control room be drenched with seawater or bleeding
uh are you stupid or just yurorpooearn? A rocket or something can hit the tower causing people to get hurt or bleed, or an explosion somewhere on the ship could knock people over causing lacerations. You don't want bloody hands trying to use those controls in a mission critical situation.

Touch screens came into vogue because in theory you can 'update' or change the interface anytime just by modifying the software vs needing to unscrew hardware knobs and buttons. But in situations where there will be smoke, low light, oil and chaos, physical toggles are superior.

LOL read the thread you illiterate retard.

All operators for machines like that want mechanical controls. Screens, touch or not, are used as an hmi for alarming, reporting, setting limits and bypasses. Furthermore most machines like that can run without the screen and/or pc except in a few isolated cases. In other words, if it was built right, that guy could of simply driven the boat, avoided a collision and let the cabin boy figure out the IT bullshit of installing Gentoo.

But not in this thread. Half you tards think this is the right thing to do because you've only known that technology and never operated a big machine yourselves. Fact is they are too busy thinking "progressively" instead of paying attention to the reality of an imminitent collision.

Again, my sides are in orbit.

well considering you're the one shitting all over the thread and pointing fingers, I'm going to keep on believing the Navy prefers mechanical controls for an actual reason that's not yours

I want to drive a car with a touchscreen.

Attached: 1556900439172.jpg (500x514, 95K)

Believe want you want. I only do this for a living, and you're having a conversation out of your meager depth. And btw, none of those mechanical controls are directly connected to the system, it goes to dedicated controllers. It just doesn't run windows. Chew on that for a while.

Okay,

Russians ahead of the curve as usual

Narcissist detected.

HARASHO!

Attached: Admiral-Kuznetzov.jpg (633x395, 33K)

Hey, faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=7xvSntrZc0E
youtube.com/watch?v=5NgFpIZ9cCE

Attached: Bell_LM_V-280-_Future_Cockpit_22.jpg (1000x502, 170K)

Yet another proof that manual will always be better than automatic.

You've made a poor case for that.

FYI no, nobody can navigate in pitch black darkness by computer controlled radar without a computer.

This is simply going to be dropped by the time those 8 years olds are piloting helicopters.

>a simulation
>helicopter is on autopilot
>spend most of the time talking and not even touching the screen

This has to be bait.

No not computers, controllers. Big difference.

Nope, the machine controlling the radar is in fact a series of computers. Machines capable of processing algorithms, no ifs, ands, or buts. When one doesn't work then the crew is blind to radar based navigation.

>Curmudgeonly boomers vindicated yet again
That crash has NOTHING to do wit h technology, touchscreens or knows. The problem is SHIT-tier people.

They're using technology as a scapegoat to hide the fact that Navy's full or sub-80 IQ retards.

Attached: 1563388169306.jpg (1016x1090, 172K)

Welfare queens are stupid. News at 11

None of this is true. The crew was operating on no sleep, two of the three radars aboard the ship didn't work, the radar that didn't work wasn't calibrated properly (was set to detect ships on the horizon and would occasionally detect waves as ships up close for no reason), and the crew was about 30 people under-strength due to budget cuts. This meant, amongst other reasons associated with the days prior to the crash, that the ship only had half of a nightwatch and a nightcrew that mostly had about 2 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours. The nightwatch would literally just walk to the port side of the ship, watch for 15 minutes, then head to the starboard side for another 15 minutes, etc. The ship showed up while the watch was on the other side.

navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2100&tid=1287&ct=2

Sure they do pal, they run windows right? Or is it some proprietary os on an SBC which is specifically engineered for quick up time and doesn't have a botnet?

How bout this one? Oh? Seems theres no mention of a pc here... Hmmmm.....

God you summer faggots crack me up. Best thread all week.

How do screens like this on a bridge not fuck with your night vision?

F you

>At sea at war
>why would you bleed or be drenched

Really made my synapses fire.

> be op
> an obese, knuckle dragging ape
> can't paste a link
> can take a homosexual screen shot
> the verge
you are fucking cancer, op.

theverge.com/2019/8/11/20800111/us-navy-uss-john-s-mccain-crash-ntsb-report-touchscreen-mechanical-controls

Attached: 1551005453926.png (1104x736, 1.71M)

Ok, do that on a boat in a storm

>catch one stray bullet to the screen
>helicopter becomes unusable
based

Good, touchscreens are trash.

How the fuck would that work don't fighter pilots wear gloves?

Gloves that work with capacitive touchscreens exist, they're not even special military tech, you can buy them too. Or they could be using resistive touchscreens.

Why not make a less shitty touchscreen interface? Look at the state of their UI.

What are you talking about, touchscreens are peak boomer tech.

Literally a boomer.

not the first time we created dumb shit for war because we could. yep, that's a gun, that fires a nuke.

Attached: ord_7-1024x828.jpg (1024x828, 166K)

why did that man explode

Probably regular gloves but with a stylusrubber glued to the tip of the indexfingers. Lockhead Martin original content do not steal. for only $3999

>Touchscreens aren't inherently bad
The problem with touch screens is that they have a high failure rate. How many times have you pressed a button, pulled a lever, or turned a dial and had it not work? How many times have you swiped your phone and have to swipe again because it failed to register the 1st swipe? That is not something you want for military equipment.

Attached: oCElj59LTZif1axGAVWc_Michael Bay Gymnast.gif (400x250, 1.76M)

Old tech. Drones are the big thing now.

The only question I have - why do they even have touchscreen in military? No wonder they can't even deal with shitty iranian boats

because ship collisions didn't happen before we invented touchscreens

Why did they have touchscreens in the first place

Ships are like skyscrapers, not vehicles. Educate yourself.

If rocket hit the tower then you're probably going to have just as much trouble trying operate any of the mechanical controls.