Why does the Firefox team constantly do shit to shrink their 5% market share further?

Why does the Firefox team constantly do shit to shrink their 5% market share further?

It's like they are doing it on purpose

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 11.21.02.png (1530x424, 353K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2014/02/11/publisher-transformation-with-users-at-the-center/
blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/10/22/testing-new-ways-to-keep-you-safe-online/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/AMO/Policy/Reviews
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=873709
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1288913#c6
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/windows-administrator-launcher-process-error-fix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

im using waterfox and holy crap their new logo is ugly
but it uses way less memory

Attached: Waterfox_Logo_June_2019.png (192x192, 21K)

Just download normal Firefox and ignore all the retarded alternate versions. You might as well complain about shitty Chrome forks. The main branch of Firefox still just werks and is better than Chrome.

Couldn't agree more.

Attached: What is this filth.gif (245x300, 1.97M)

They're not selling anything, "market share" does not matter. Get out of this capitalist mindset. Also, it's free software so anyone can make their own version.
t. GNU IceCat user

its fine looking are you using waterfox-kde?

im using regular waterfox i think

I fail to see the problem.

Looks like someone giving someone else a handy.

Why do you think they give a shit about "market share"? Let me guess, you're a gamer?

I'm using waterfox because there are certain old add-ons that I still use

Because the vast majority of their money doesn't come from donations, but from companies bidding to be the default search option. The more people who use FF, the more companies are willing to pay.

Attached: mozilla finances.png (741x324, 42K)

But, but... They sold out to Soros!

They didn't just join up with a Soros nonprofit. They also:
>Installed ads onto the web browser until it failed.
blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2014/02/11/publisher-transformation-with-users-at-the-center/
>Shill ads via Pocket (pic related)
>Partnered with ProtonVPN in exchange for money.
blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/10/22/testing-new-ways-to-keep-you-safe-online/
"We believe that an innovative, vibrant, and sustainable Mozilla is critical to the future of the open Internet, and we plan to be here over the long haul. To do that with confidence we also need to have diverse sources of revenue."
>Introduced Extension Signing in the name of safety over freedom, and have a fucking huge list of guidelines in order to get signed.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/AMO/Policy/Reviews
>Removed the Javascript toggle from the menu, telling people to use NoScript instead (despite the fact that 65% of FF users don't use add-ons).
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=873709
>Broke their own audio, and blamed the people complaining, saying things like, "What is preventing you from installing Pulse Audio?"
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
>Banned a long time volunteer for complaining about Mozilla labeling an issue as RESOLVED and WONTFIX at the same time.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1288913#c6

I could go on, if you like, but I'll admit that it's a bit of a pain remembering everything they do wrong, as well as finding all the links to support the claim.

Attached: sponsored_tile.png (325x385, 51K)

>were threatened legally into changing their logo
Why does this happen so often in the browser world?

I mean Chrome does too. Not to mention beta builds, Opera, MS edge etc.

Attached: Google Chrome Standaloneoffline installer.jpg (1191x566, 99K)

is making a browser really that monumental of a task that only 2 big ones can coexist?(google and firefox+its forks)

It's not about being able to make the browser, it is about having them preinstalled on normgroid machines where they wont bother ever installing anything else than what come with it.

Iridium really needs a better logo.

Attached: iridium_browser_logo-icon.png (259x260, 42K)

Normal firefox is best at this moment.

You seem to be be quite knowledgeable. What do you use as a webbrowser?

Iridium. If I still used Arch, however, I would use Librewolf (presuming it hasn't died).

web browsers are basically OS emulation layers at this point.

that's a lot of junk and API's to implement

pretty sure firefox is kept alive just so chrome doesn't get smacked for being a monopoly

>The main branch of Firefox still just werks and is better than Chrome.
Firefox (regardless of flavour/fork) still has no support for hardware accelereated video decoding on platform other than Windows.
Chrome-ium requires this feature to be enabled on build time but at least it's there.

>inb4 I don't need that shit
Yeah sure, but the few who want/need to use Linux on a laptop device do.

The harsh truth is that Chromium is the better browser, which is unfortunate and I wished it was not the case but until Firefox picks up the slack there's no way of them becoming more competetive.

PS. And the most ridiculous thing about current state of web browsing support on LInux is how fucking well Chrome/Chromium integrates with mainstream environments like Gnome. The aesthetic polish of Chromium on Gnome is on par with Gnome project's own web browser.

This:As well as Ungoogled Chromium (you have to compile it yourself, but it gets more frequent updates than Iridium) and Pale Moon.

>The harsh truth is that Chromium is the better browser, which is unfortunate and I wished it was not the case but until Firefox picks up the slack there's no way of them becoming more competetive.
Why? Because of videos acceleration?
I'd say that Firefox is better because it allows for more customization. That's more important for me.

This must be espionage from Google.

Attached: 1553045635225.png (240x240, 24K)

>no support for hardware accelereated video decoding
why the fuck would i want to use a webbrowser instead of a video player to play videos? i'm not even on linux

>The harsh truth is that Chromium is the better browser
that depends entirely on what you want out of a browser, chrom* doesn't even support vertical or tree style tabs which rules it out completely for me.

Attached: mpv_2019-08-12_10_28_01.webm (1216x812, 2.07M)

Except that judging by their actions the past few years, Mozilla itself is incredibly desperate to become more relevant. You wouldn't advertise for Facebook on your homepage if you weren't craving to win over the normalfags.

They'll gain it all back when Google blocks adblockers

Attached: 1558263458998.jpg (550x400, 18K)

That explains the issue with Yandex in Russia. An updated firefox changed the search engine away from Yandex automatically.

>500k annually
Jesus christ, that's it? So you're saying if I just cut them a check for that amount, I could have sole control of Firefox development?

Normies aka 90% of the browser users dont know what/cant figure out how to install adblockers

Yes, as long as you tell them to do whatever Google says.

Firefox's problem is that they agree with google on an idealogical level. They see nothing wrong with data theft, invasion of privacy, ostracizing individuals who hold anti-corporate opinions, etc. They just want to be the giant monolith who does it instead of google. This means that no matter whqt they can only ever scrabble after what google does. They aren't trying to have "their own" users, they want googles users.

And, of course, as Mozilla gutting its core devs and then literally asking google for instruction and aid shows, the new leadership is too dumb to realize that Chrome's widespread use comes from them forcing it upon morons, not any actual superiority.

No. That wouldn't even make sense, there are a not-small-number of people who work at Mozilla who make more than that/yr.
Those numbers are confusing I guess if you aren't used to reading financial reports though. Those are in thousands, so 1 would be 1,000. 500,000 is 500,000,000 in real numbers.

they make money by selling their default browser spot, and the fewer users the less that's worth.

They don't care about non-tranny market share

It's not that bad.

Attached: 1539700588085.png (493x387, 50K)

>have avoided updating firefox for a while
>decide to do it last night
>somehow they managed to fucking break image drag and drop

Attached: 1541013796601.jpg (400x408, 57K)

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
You can either modify all your shortcuts to add a command line option or re-enable UAC.
I thought it was a bug because last year they did break drag and drop on Mac at least for me and a couple other people.
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/windows-administrator-launcher-process-error-fix

They didn't join any Soros nonprofit, that's bullshit.

Pocket ads are opt-in, calculated on your machine, and only for the USA.

Don't use ProtonVPN if you don't like it.

Extension Signing is not "safety over freedom" you autist. Also, those guidelines have always been in place.

The JavaScript toggle is useless for 99 % of the users. Installing NoScript/uMatrix is a better solution.

They didn't break their own audio, they stopped compiling the official release with the unmaintained ALSA code. You can still use any of the other versions that use it, maintain the ALSA code yourself or better yet: stop being a contrarian idiot and use Pulse.

Does anyone use tor browser for normal browsing?

Protonshit's owners gave me such a really, really, really bad vibe every time they engage people in discussing their services, it really makes makes me not want to use any of their shit. They have a really strong ethos of "What, you have a question or criticism about any one of your products? FUCK YOU you must be a liar or a competitor shill *block*"

just throwin that out there