/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

AyyyPod Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1565460420250.jpg (2000x1333, 1.83M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=51460.0
youtu.be/PgaWtlLVpBM?t=1736
youtu.be/-6lkTJ9xOwM
youtu.be/koweTo01oZU
imgur.com/a/7W50f
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just ordered a Fiio X3-II and Tin T3 earbuds. What am I in for?

For anybody else that fell for the iflash meme: You have to use the original OS to drag files into the sd card, or else files will end up corrupted when you play them back with rockbox. It's a problem that has been around for a long time.
forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=51460.0

What about disk mode?

>Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
Why did I not see this earlier? My walkman now sounds perfectly fine when connected to my stereo system.

reminder that the /pmp/ guide needs an update

I just tried it with a few albums (usually it will give artifacts within the first 30 seconds, or play 2 seconds of a song then skip to the next immediately). Transferring with disk mode seems to work, so it's definitely a problem with rockbox. Using the ofw goes against the purpose of using the iflash because of the library hard cap, which rockbox doesn't have.

arrived today. works extremely well with the QC II, even the remote buttons work out of the box. the sound quality is incredible.

Attached: a45.jpg (997x1199, 188K)

Have you tried the DAC function?

walkman a45 or a55 ($20 more)

not yet, planning to do it later this week (i already installed the driver). i'll report back.

okay, just tried it. works great with local files and spotify.

>tfw just got a basically new 7 gen 160gb classic for $175

How did i do?

You fucked up big time, unless it's complete in box and you're keeping it as a collector's item.

luddites
who even owns music anymore
just stream it

it came with the box and all documents, barely used

i live in a rural area where my internet is shit and can't stream music, and before i moved here my cd collection was already at 1000+ and it's only gotten bigger since

Not a bad deal.

So I have a second generation iPod which I would love to revive, but I have heard that FireWire stops working if you replace the hard drive with flash storage. Is it true? If so, is there a way to get around it?

Attached: 34719.gif (440x330, 35K)

You need a 3g or newer.

Is spending >$1 pure placebo?

Pics related: $1 music player

Attached: personal music player.jpg (1773x729, 186K)

Related

Attached: 1545953561435.png (1206x347, 93K)

So I'm fucked, then?

If your goal is to use that ipod with flash storage, then yes. If you really want to reuse that one, just restore it.

28:55
youtu.be/PgaWtlLVpBM?t=1736

no

youtu.be/-6lkTJ9xOwM

>TWO HUNDO BURGER BUCKS
If this thing were $50 then I'd definitely consider it

But does it work with fire wire?
Also that's a first gen, the other user's ipod is a second gen, how do we know if it will behave the same way?

/pmp/ keeps minority spirit!

How are you liking it so far? Where did you get yours?

Thoughts on the FiiO M3k?

Attached: m3-03.jpg (1974x1526, 540K)

I was going to pick one up and then decided to go for the m5 instead for the newer DAC.

Attached: 54236947_2223030707754450_1638220768598818816_o.jpg (1920x1080, 410K)

i really, really like it. it's smaller than i thought, build quality is good, it's responsive with a pretty straight "i only play music"-interface. if you get it, make sure it has firmware 1.10 installed. HR-audio is NO meme, it really sounds incredible, it's like upgrading from your regular cinema screen to imax. if you plan to use FLAC and other heavy codecs, make sure to also have a micro-sd at hand, the internal 16gb are pretty fast gone. got it for 170 eurobucks from bezos the online-merchant.

Attached: sony.jpg (472x837, 53K)

a lot of time pirating music

My last pmp was a creative zen. I loved it to bits but for various reasons it was left behind. any modern equivalent? I also liked the sansa clips but the headphone jacks were jenky. has that issue been solved with the newer ones?

I'm mostly trying to fill the void the zen left. my phone right now hates headphones.... oneplus 3 has a shallow jack

really would appreciate observations from anons

Attached: 41xG46ZZW+L.jpg (500x335, 29K)

Thanks, did you also took a look at the a55?

Probably a Cowon player. Not many recent DAPs still do video.

Attached: 1563976537957_0.jpg (2646x2797, 3.79M)

I got one of these and the sound quality is good but navigating requires patience

yeah, but it was beyond my budget and the a45 sounds perfectly fine with a decent pair of headphones.

Why does it have to be on that firmware?

several fixes (sony won't state what) and they added the AptX HD bluetooth codec.

ps: i already had it factory installed, so if one purchases a new unit chances are good it's already on it.

So it's the latest version? I am in Japan rn, is it ok buying them here?

don't see what speaks against it. if it's an erlier shipped version, just flash the update and you're fine. afaik they've made no changes on the hardware.

fellow sony bro

Attached: IMG_20190428_162134_1.jpg (3110x3534, 3.01M)

I got one from amazon and the UI/menu operation is clunky as fuck so I returned it. I got a shanling m0 and while it's not perfect either, at least it's less frustrating to control.

Just avoid the lower end FiiOs. The UI and sound quality is similar to the cheap MP3 players from Aliexpress. The higher end ones such as the M11 are great though. The go-to DAPs for under $200 right now are old iPods (provided you can get one in decent condition) and Shanlings (M0, M2x),

nice!

I think I'm sold on these

Need some recommendations, looking for something cheap to replace ishit for music so I don't have to go through itunes. One option is the NW-E394 for 30 bucks, though I would prefer something cheaper.

Get an iPod gen 5, do the microSD mod, and rockbox it. NWE394 is pretty shit.

How do iPods hold up today audio quality wise?

Doe it work with nanos?

No, nanos have soldered-on flash memory

I've tried many DAPs and only the $500+ Android based ones beat it in terms of user experience and overall sound quality.

It works with minis, if you're looking for something smaller.
youtu.be/koweTo01oZU

Attached: IMG_0009.jpg (960x1280, 339K)

He is right, i have few of those with 2-4gb cards, each for different genres.
I would use folders but its impossible to navigate.
I have 30min bike right from home to work (+30 for back) and i charge it every day or two.

Had to find this out myself, what was even worse was discovering my 5.5 iPod couldn't handle more than ~3 bands in EQ adjustments without lagging like a motherfucker.

If anyone has any ideas of how I can "simplify" an EQ curve that is 8-10 bands down to 3, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm dumb and have never fucked with EQ before, and was just copying and pasting headphone profiles from reddit.

Attached: 66D5879B-DDDD-4793-A56E-92BDC5A5387F.jpg (921x640, 138K)

I just realized /ourguy/ probably shaved the sides of his head like that in order to achieve a proper seal with his headphones.

Fucking kek

Been using a Ruizu x06 for half a year and I'm not really satisfied by it anymore because the small problems are far too apparent from daily use: Filename sort only for the songs with folders/albums being sorted by date only, SD card and internal libraries are separated, half the controls make no sense and doing something as simple as changing the volume takes 20 seconds and looking at the screen to do, and (probably the worst thing) it always seems to trim a little bit from the end of the song. I don't know why it does it but it's dumb and I hate that shit when I listen to an album where songs segue into one another, completely ruins the experience.
I'm gonna replace this shit but I don't know if there's any decent

Attached: 7e954bes-960.jpg (960x1280, 275K)

Thoughts on this? Goes for $95.
Sick of touchscreens.
>AK4490EQ
>Muses02
>TPA6120A2

Attached: acmee mf01.jpg (1200x1200, 86K)

That's quite impressive from a device that came out over 10 years ago

5.5 Gen is what I'm referring to here

I'm confused now
So does it work or not?

I was actually considering the ipod+rockbox setup. Thanks for saving me a headache. Looks like I'll continue down the path of having never owned an apple product.

Looks like chinese horseshit. Let us know if you get it.

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1565592977587.gif (500x500, 256K)

The second video is a 1g, not what the other poster was asking for. I haven't seen any posts anywhere confirming that you can add flash storage to a 2g.

How do I rockbox my Zune? Or otherwise crack it open?

Attached: 150-300x189.jpg (300x189, 19K)

>still can't play FLAC on a zune
S U F F E R I N G

hammer

nah mate, iPods can suck a dick, the M7, M6 and M5 are all superior and you can stick whatever microSD you want in there

Which generations?

That doesn't mean you have to uninstall rock box every time you want to transfer files. Rock box is capable of switching between OSs on the fly so all you have to do is reboot into the original firmware by flipping on the HOLD switch before you transfer, it's not a big deal.

Not the user you replied to but is the original os the ipod one? Does that mean that if you want to upgrade to an sd card you have to use itunes to add songs?

You don't need to boot into the original firmware. I transfer my music by putting the iPod in disk mode (turning it on while holding play/pause). It's actually even faster than booting into Rockbox or the OFW.
And no, you don't have to use itunes.

Yeah it's the original apple os. If you upgrade to an sd card, you have to restore with itunes (reinstall the apple os) then install rockbox using the rockbox utility. You only need to boot into the original os to add songs by dragging and dropping into the filesystem (you don't need itunes to do this), then reboot into rockbox to play them.
Dragging and dropping while in the rockbox os will result in corrupted songs for some reason.

Were you able to do it with bigger battery and memory?

I've seen extended batteries up to 1300 mAh. The mini's stock microdrive is physically and electronically compatible with a cf card, so all you need is a cf adapter and flash card of your choice.
imgur.com/a/7W50f

What would you reccomend a poorfag?

Ruizu x02

Is that advertised battery life true?

What about the hiby r3? Looking for something small that has a passable screen.

best pmp/dap/dac i've bought after the sansa clip zip, which was my third time replacing and i figured i'd move up in the pmp world
plays all kinds of hi res audio too, and you can bluetooth your phone or use it as a usb dac

Attached: hiby k3 yinyoo kanas pro pink floyd shine on.jpg (1200x1334, 301K)

bump

I like it
>T W O C N O T E S
I don't like it that much

>proprietary charger
RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE

My X1 II became slow a balls a soon as there was any decent amount of music on it. Not to mention the long non-incremental library scan.

I like mine but I'll never understand why Sony keeps hanging on to the walkman port.
They don't sell a compatible dock according to their site.
They don't sell a line out wm-port cable.
It's just a more inconvenient usb cable at this point.
I had to buy a chink line out cable that's flimsy as hell and I had to import the official flip cover from Japan because nobody in Europe sells it.

I have ipod 5th gen, does 30pin line out work with rockbox
Also how can I stop my ipod from emitting so much noise, my cayin n3 is dead silent.

I have an old rockboxed Sansa e280 and the battery is dying, I've checked ebay and apparently there are some compatible batteries on sale but there are some complaints about them not fitting correctly. Has anyone changed his Sansa battery? Are they good?

Which noise? You mean white noise noticeable in quiet tracks when using sensitive low impedance headphones?

Yes white noise. As soon as I plug in my earphones (10ohms impedance) I hear loud white noise which continues when music is playing.
My ipod nano does the same, but I thought that since the ipod 5g is superior it wouldn't have it.

That's a known engineering defect, unfortunately. Either use high impedance headphones or diy yourself an attenuator (pic related is the one I made from cheap chinese components): diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

Attached: IMG_20190216_010505.jpg (4000x3000, 608K)

Inside is a piece of home-etched PCB with four SMD resistors.

Attached: IMG_20190216_010106.jpg (4000x3000, 560K)

so update it

>does 30pin line out work with rockbox
Yes.

Thanks user, I'll probably pull the trigger soon then