Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - High-tech prankster edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: BTrxALmCcAAfdP_.jpg (600x804, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/french-puns.html
youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
cinnamon-look.org/p/1012736/
cinnamon-look.org/p/999644/
github.com/remacs/remacs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Ubuntu

Attached: 5845ca511046ab543d25238a.png (400x400, 35K)

Bububu

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king..jpg (300x300, 13K)

Does anyone here do android development? What can you tell me about the process? I dont want to install any google spyware if you know what i mean. Should I just sandbox it?

Oui oui bien bien, j'aime ces fils.
Dire moi s'il te plait, il y est une *chan ou je peux exercer mon francais terrible?

Pubuntu

Attached: 1560592020228.jpg (255x253, 11K)

jette un oeil
stallman.org/french-puns.html

Thread deletion in 3..2..1..

only in your sick dreams

What is your current distro, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1561138846185.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Why?

Can Guix/Nix run well on older hardware?
Asking for a friend.

oeil = look
I really do think the fastest way to learn french is to try and use it, thanks for the new word.
Je vais jetter un oeil a cette site.
(Though I was looking for an imageboard that is French..)

Ne t'inquite pas. :^)

Void GNU/Linux
Did I meme myself?
Also, how do I fix not hearing the captcha sounds and generally sounds in browser on sites like omfgdogs.com ?
It's weird, yt videos work without flaw.

Nous avons parle en Francais.

>I really do think the fastest way to learn french is to try and use it
that's a good approach

>Can Guix/Nix run well on older hardware?
Guix/Nix still use GNU/Linux as their base, so this question is not entirely correct. Yes they can, why not. But that's beside the point.

I finally cured myself from minimalism.
If I can do it, so can you!

Attached: 1547549114779.png (1089x1600, 3.45M)

great, what DE do you use now?

Im moving from manjaro to arch. I dont mind reinstalling my programs, but is it enough to just back up my home/user folder? Theres not going to be something major like thunderbird/firefox files that ill lose forever?

Not exactly a DE, but I use the boomer window manager now.
Feels liberating after tiling wms.

Attached: 1554842814368.jpg (1053x751, 205K)

So passed your first month of gnu/linux use?

Is there a Linux distro that's completely free from GNU software? I don't want to get raped from Stallman when he finds out I'm running emacs with the proprietary Nvidia drivers

Tfw falling down the minimalism rabbit hole further and further.
Feels kinda good to be honest.

Alpine.

window maker is pretty cool, and definitely isn't 'boomer'

Backing up your home directory should be mostly fine for those distributions, unless you made lots of changes to system-wide config files in /etc/.

>/etc/
i think maybe one or two changes? but it was so long ago who can remember

The funniest thing is I despised French in school.

Yeah okay, the interesting part is how the packages are managed.
I will spare the annoyance of asking these questions about it here, but I would really like to find a solution for my problem of no sound in sites like omfgdogs.com and here in the sound captcha...

>but I use the boomer window manager now.
Probably more "minimal" then something like i3 or qtile.

If you want boomer use twm, it is PEAK Boomer.

Sorry for being imprecise. A Linux distribution that is actually usable as a desktop system

It's a robot hand.

what C compiler does it use?
Stallman doesn't really care what you use, he simply says that you deserve free software as a user, and that it can be your choice, therefore he decided to start his GNU operating system, so that users will be able to install a fully free system.

>In 1981, Newsweek interviewed me for an article on hackers. When their photographer arrived, I decided the article should contain a real hack, so I put on the folk dance performing group's Bulgarian dance costume and held hands with a tentacle-like disused robot arm to give the impression I was dancing in a line with a robot. Sadly, they cropped the photo so that little of the robot arm is visible, and it may not be obvious what we are doing together.

No
Unless you install something, like, for example, manpages

Based hackers.

>Yeah okay, the interesting part is how the packages are managed.
The interesting part is that the system is one config file.

can you be minimalist without tiling wms?

>The funniest thing is I despised French in school.
people can suddenly (or gradually) change

What's so bad about being minimal?

>that the system is one config file.
W-what?!

Yeah, it's called cwm.
Also, bspwm which I am using has good support for floating.
Awesome is an option too, but heavier.

I guess so.
cable6 seems to be the french Jow Forums. I'll go there tomorrow, wish me luck.

youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

Dwm, i3 and such are all not exclusively tiling wms.

>W-what?!
read ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

>ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
Okay bauws.

Going beyond and living below your limit of comfort, which is what that user did.
Either that or he realized that configureing a desktop from start to finish just isn't worth it, I am asking myself too if I should not just install a DE.

nothing, unless you've been meme'd on

its t'inquiete you fucking retard

Further minimalising your desktop is literally the only reason to use a Linux distro

just use Emacs as desktop

emacs is a meme
don't reply with memes

Hi fellow ganoo/loonix tards, please recommend me some good Cinnamon themes.

[citation needed]

so is there eglstreams wayland in a working state? is it actually good?

>emacs is a meme

Attached: 1029384756.png (232x284, 131K)

This.
Bloatfags need not apply.

cinnamon-look.org/p/1012736/

I'm going to kill you the slowest

So it's like the NT Registry but with a history function?

No bluetooth on my laptop manjaro kde
It says no devices found

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (679x665, 115K)

yep, totally like it.

Manjaro KDE has a bug, you have to manually enable Bluetooth in the system settings first

KDE is shit and fucks up a lot of things.

That's so much pure autism. I especially liked the part where they starts shitting on literally everything that isn't Lisp.

"No matter what the point of this language is, just replace it with Lisp, even if it is a language that literally has no Lisp equivalent except a barebones Scheme derivative documentation generation tool with barely a millionth of the features and which still compiles to the language you initially wanted to replace".

Fucking A U T I S M.

Settings>network>bluetooth
Devices is empty
Adapters is empty
Advanced settings has BT integration and receiving files download settings
Wat do
I have an old BT adapter that works when plugged in though, but the laptop has BT in the wifi card, so the software for it works, just not my device?

cinnamon-look.org/p/999644/

They always act so surprised when a quasi-stack-based language can be used for anything

Dis you try to restart without the BT adapter plugged in?
If yes, what's your laptop model / WiFi card model?

I was having a go at building Remacs just for fun, about halfway through the build process (while make was running) I fucked up by downloading a torrent and the drive briefly ran out of space.
Does the build process fail if any of the objects got fucked up during build? Or should it immediately flag it up?

github.com/remacs/remacs

Before we discuss why it's bad, we must define it somewhat unambiguously.
Extreme minimalism, which for many people ends up being synonymous with "having little software and functionality installed on your system" and "avoiding GUIs, mice and graphical configuration as much as possible" is a hassle and simply does not provide any actual, practical benefit, especially on a desktop system. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply in denial.
I once went through that phase, I was rejecting even installing something as basic as a file manager.
I also suspect it stems from fake nostalgia, as systems from literal decades ago were more capable and had way more stuff than the average NEET desktop with just 300 packages, all on much slower machines. A "minimal" system, in this sense, looks "old", but is actually nothing like those old systems.

That said, that doesn't mean you should just go and bloat your system as much as possible. Sure, remove things you absolutely will never need, but if you could even remotely benefit from having something installed, stop being a faggot and just install it.
Nowadays I don't shy away from user-friendly/graphical tools. I still don't use a DE myself: I'm currently on Window Maker + some dockapps (which ironically has less memory footprint than pseudominimal alternatives, as some guy here already mentioned), and I don't really miss anything from an actual DE, although I recognize they have their place, especially lightweight, yet functional ones such as LXDE/LXQt.
To me, *good* minimalism means reducing resource usage without compromising functionality, which generally translates into using more lightweight alternatives which still provide all the functionality I could ever want.
That's also why I use the term "pseudominimal": shit such as Vim or Mutt *looks* minimal, but actually consumes at least as much memory than more "bloated-looking" alternatives, if not more.

>when a quasi-stack-based language can be used for anything
It still compiles down to the language you initially wanted to replace.
Also Skribilo, which was one example given, literally manages to create a worse Syntax then fucking LaTeX, can you even imagine that? I couldn't.

Anf, obligatory, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
And while you CAN replace everything with lisp you definitely should NOT.

Yes, why couldn't you?

Hey, calm down, mind the friendly in fglt, anyways, I am a beginner.
Dilate, seethe, breathe.

What's your current setup?

please what are the benefits of curing yourself of minimalism, kind sir?

Is there any fucking way to stop Trannysmission from immediately beginning a torrent after you download it using a magnet? I fucking hate it when it does that

Not worrying about some shit not working because I don't have something installed which I believed was optional, but actually isn't.

Arch (yes I know), dwm and vim but running out of memes to fall for.

spx?

if you don't like Lisp or general-purpose languages, Nix may be more up your alley.

That's not really wrong, though: instead of making up your fancy new snowflake configuration shitlang every time, you could use a tried and proven existing language with literal decades of research put into it and with good implementations out there.

I was complaining about the autism, nothing more, but yes I plan to look into Nix further.

You should give back to the community after using torrents or else you'll get blacklisted from downloading more files

Not that it's easier.

Looks like my exact same setup a year and a half ago.

Yes. Just work with tty.

Yes, there's an option "Add torrents in a paused state" or something like that.

way to go for not understanding any part of the question, dumb fuck
I'm asking how to stop Trannymission from immediately beginning a torrent after the magnet is done downloading the torrent data. Do you even understand what part of the download process that is?
Here, I'll help you, it's the very fucking beginning of the download and has nothing to do with seeding, since I haven't even started downloading yet.

Sure, but it misses the point I was trying to make.
There are languages which are superior for a given purpose and trying to do *everything* with one language is a pretty bad idea.

As evidenced by the actual "LaTeX replacements" which are significantly more limited and have an even worse syntax.

I can live with difficulties, it's for fun anyway.

Not just difficulties, their logic may seem alien to GNU/Linux users.

FRIENDLY GNU/Linux thread.

is Openbox minimalist?

What's that?

wow so outrageous, the dude said "fuck" and mentioned trannies
this dude's the real deal

Alien logic is part of "difficulties" and it's also the fun part.

My bad. The phrasing is actually the opposite. "Start added torrents" in the "Downloading" section.

I guess so?
Try it out if you're interested, and see for yourself.

no, I mean according to the minimalists themselves. To me it looks very minimal, but they always have convoluted opinions about things.

The funnest part is that at some point, no human can understand it because it is not documented at all.

doesn't work but thanks anyway
all that does is stop the torrent from beginning once it's added, nothing to do with when the magnet data is retrieved

Sounds fun!

I don't know. I did see people claiming it's bloated sometimes, but no further elaboration.
To be honest, I'd stop being concerned about what some random autists on the internet spout, if I were you.

Sorry, meant for