/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

OP wants to know if the 600 is worth a purchase

Attached: opisaretartednewfag.jpg (1200x1248, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG2KFSX/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440p
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm thinking of refurbing some thinkpad batteries. Would it be worth replacing the old cells with new lg ones?

x201 cutest cutepad, her kb is dying so i cant use her atm tho ;-;

Attached: 1547720373703487.jpg (2328x1746, 570K)

I thought that exacto knife was a dab pen xd lmao

I got a t440p few days ago and I noticed that if I plug it in without the battery the cpu frequency is stuck at 0.8ghz. Inserting the battery whilst the laptop is still plugged fixes the problem. I don't really like the idea of constantly charging the already dying battery, any workarounds?

I used to read these threads all the time, then I got one and I never come back. I really like the computer though so thanks lads

Same, got my x220 and now Im too busy configuring/learning linux to montior these

Gimmie a couple months and Ill start posting my screenfetch with waifu background

dab pen?

Attached: 1544896308253.jpg (1000x1000, 78K)

dinkpad :DDDD

Attached: 1564249091300.png (225x225, 4K)

oop sorry, a marijuana cartridge for inhaling vaporized thc

dont do drugs do lolis

Attached: 1558128314022.jpg (836x1180, 368K)

It seems like my wifi is going weird again. It used to turn off randomly (and needed multiple reboots to start working again) so I replaced the card but now after some time it turned off without reason again. Could my Thinkpad be a wifi killer?

b-but my gf user!

X61s cutest

Attached: R0000231.jpg (3255x2964, 2.14M)

very cute!

Attached: 1564758691565.gif (300x364, 211K)

don't do lolis do killing yourself pedo scum

Attached: 8AN6Pwz.jpg (4320x2332, 351K)

how's battery doing in your thonkpads anons? Just noticed I hit 100 cycles on mine and it's at 52wh of real capacity out of 57wh of original capacity, that's not too bad right?

is a t440p worth ~350 usd? it doesnt have the gt 730m but already has 8gb memory and its the intlel hd 5500 model

I just can't decide which model to buy. I want one I can upgrade if I need to if possible every part being replacable but I'm too brainlet to do the research

x220 for most comfy experience

if only OP had something about it

x230 with x220 keyboard

x230 looks sexy. What's the go to price? There's a X230 Core i5 3 Gen. Ghz 8GB 120GB SSD USB 3.0 Windows 7/10 on ebay for 160 europoor bucks

Plan to flash Coreboot on my X220 Tablet soon. Found plenty of guides for the normal X220, but none for the tablet version. Are there any differences in the process?

So i'm looking at upgrade options for my T530 because i want quad channel ram, because I want to run multiple VM's and security tools

However, I don't mind not having a dedicated graphics card. How can I get 4 channel ram in my T530? do I need to swap the mobo?

i got mine for $150 burgercoin with i5, 8GB ram, no SSD, and i'm happy with it
i'd say go for it, but idk what people would say the correct price for an X230 is

Got a Transcend M.2 2240 for my T450

Attached: Capture.png (1065x751, 616K)

Gents ples i have no experience with cpus. Will the i7 3520m in the x230 be able to run 3-5 workspaces with ~15 browser tabs each open?

Attached: c64ff4cdbca6ebd75092c047078a8a9f.jpg (500x705, 35K)

Yeah it should work as long their mostly text and not JS ridden shit.

>dram controller with nand
good SSD, how much was it

$50 bucks

amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG2KFSX/

My p52s came today

Attached: C8E0246D-BE33-43BF-A784-E5115DF2EC47.jpg (3024x3024, 1.32M)

I'm afraid of buying a used one with no pictures on ebay. It say it CAN have all kinds of faults and scratches. Is everybody just taking a risk at getting a pretty one? Feels like buying fucking lootboxes

Which ThinkPad would you recommend for these needs:
- fully compatible out of the box with Debian + contrib non-free
- average processor for a development workflow (docker, GCC, heavy compilation...)
- 15 inch
- great keyboard (very important)
- would prefer without numpad with center keyboard but don't know if that's possible with 15 inch
- 16 GB RAM
- SSD
- HDPI or HiDPI

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande.png (600x600, 143K)

Probably not. I've upgraded mine with the FHD IPS display, i7-4800MQ, trackpad upgrade, another 4G of ram, new 9 cell battery, 135V ac adapter and it only cost me $330.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T440p

"Sorry, this product is no longer available"

and with a snap of their fingers, lenovo instantly destroyed every t440 in existence, making it impossible to acquire one from a third party source.

Literally waiting on a 600 right now. They're prone to battery failures due to a problem with the controller in the battery pack. Cells will die way faster on genuine IBM battery. There are allegedly some chink batteries that fixed the issue, but nobody really knows which ones. This goes for every model in the 600 line. If you can take care of the cells, it's honestly a great lil thing. Even with the small amount of RAM by today's standards, it still holds up.

Attached: 1561312370501.jpg (470x338, 35K)

Did you buy it new or used?

tbqh you can buy parts of the carcass on ali so its more like how much are you willing to put up with it

i dont have many options, i dont live in US of A and having something from ebay shipped to me is weird at best.

rite now i found a shop that refurbishes them close to where i live, might nab a used x230 since the kb seems better that t440, but no caddy drive for future storage feels bad

Im surfing local sales for some good laptops for classes, and ive gravitated more towards four adverts, one for a dell latitude XT2, dell latitude E6410, Thinkpad T520i, and the 600. Im definitely wanting a thinkpad, as I had good experience with my W520.

I would like a new one with warranty it will be my working tool for years to come

$360 (no tax) for a 3rd gen X1 Carbon with 8gb and an i5.
Is this a good deal?

So people please a ThinkPad currently sold by Lenovo

did you know that the lenovo website lists the specs for all their currently sold laptops? if you look at those pages you can probably find one that has everything you want

I just got a $3,000 Macbook from my job and I fucking hate it. I want to smash it to pieces. How the hell am I supposed to get any work done without a trackpoint? I seriously need help. How to I make this thing usable?

buy a wireless mouse

That's a good idea actually. Doesn't help when I'm laying on the couch but I guess it's better than the touchpad

buy a wireless trackball then

oh neat. That looks perfect

okay so, i cant be the only one plagued with this
i actually have a ativ 375e. its pretty good overall, 1tb hdd, i3 5005u, 4gb ram

but i cant upgrade the ram. its a single slot on the mobo even tho the chipset, cpu-z and windows task manager says its 2, meaning most process intensive stuff i can do with it are trashed by the single channel memory.

do any thinkpad do this? i kinda need a cheap and power option now

damn so I can just replace the broken lids and scratched screen if I need to. Are there any limitation of replacability on certain models? I'm looking to buy a x230 i think.

its all about whenever or not you can find parts on ebay or ali

Never paid attention to the trackpoint cause I always used a mouse, but I just tested and is wonderful. Why the new ones laptops don't come with a trackpoint?

Bought x200s with docking station and new battery for about 30$, how did I do?

Touchpads are more durable, which weirdly does contradict the principle of planned obsolescence on laptops nowadays.

Thiccpad be thicc, what other communities are thinkpad focused?
Also in an unrelared note, anyone knows an imageboard chat? Im trying to install OpenIB and make a small infinity wanna be but theres not a lot of info on the subject

Attached: 1565652328924.png (1182x2100, 2.26M)

Ok, but you can't have both?

This isn't really the place to get recommendations then, /tpg/ generally tries to avoid the unnecessary price premiums that come with buying new. Go ask r/thinkpad

That'll only add to the manufacturing cost.

Are Thinkpads not working with 3rd-party batteries still a thing? If so, can anyone link me to where I can buy a legit one for a T420?

can anyone recommend a mech keyboard here
the mech thread died

i need something that is NOT MX RED, as that shit is way too weak and i misstype half the shiet i write

I also want something relatively quiet and not super-loud, so no mx blues

any help?

Wouldnt pcbg work better for you?

you literally only have brown left, unless you want to fuck around with the chink clones

annepro2
it's cheap and works great.

yeah the t440p kb doesn't compare to my x200, but of the chiclets I've used its probably the best

>x260 has single memory slot
>neat fast processor with good iGPU
really hatin this shit, does this happens with the t series too?

Anyone have experience with Lenovo Y series?
Considering buying cause it's the least cancer looking "gaymen" laptop with decent specs, but apparently has bad heat issues and battery.
I only really play Dota and CSGO and other stuff with lower requirements, so am I looking at the right option, or would some regular laptops be able to run that shit smoothly?

if you really want the gaming laptop you will overpay signifcantly asides heat trhottling issues being omnipresent on all game related laptop

wait for the new 10th gen intel laptop or simply find a regular laptop with a recent gen i7 if heat is really the issue.

a gt 730m is beaten by any igpu 6th gen and up, the only step there is on the old market was rx550 wich is fickle to work. theres some 1050m thats better and reliable, but all of them will heat up.

them new game laptop will still be restricted to a 1080p60 screen so pay very close attention to what you are paying

don't buy a laptop for gaming. Though a lot of older models can play dota and csgo 60+ fps on medium.

How terrible would a e485 be? A ryzen thinkpad sounds awesome but I've read pretty mixed reviews.

I have an X220. Maybe 10 months ago, I ran into a problem with booting that is most likely caused by the motherboard, and I've put off fixing it until now. I have a replacement motherboard and thermal paste. I've spent

Attached: X220-backscrews.jpg (800x573, 120K)

>w520
>4c8t cpu
>2 channel memory
hallelujah, and for real cheap too
this could only get better if there is a ddr4 around, is there such old thing avaliable?

768p is better

Yeah, may as well.
superglue's only a few dollars, may as well. I'm thinking of spending $70 on a new screen for my x220t and I think that'd be worth it. $3 for a tube of glue you can use for other things sounds like a bargain.
If the superglue doesn't work, maybe try using regular elmer's glue and put the screw driver in before it hardens all the way.

how reliable are replacement keyboards from China/HK? Thinking about ordering one to replace my x230 to x220

frankly it doesnt sound like you like your laptop

are you positive its the mobo and not a dying SSD?

you can literally buy them without storage, sometimes no ram as well. theres some refurbishing stores that might even give you warranty

love my new tablet

giving this one to my boomer dad once I get a new battery for it

Attached: 102B8E72-5699-4E9B-9B73-86943CA6D4F0.jpg (4032x3024, 2.47M)

Scrapping a smashed up Dell Latitude and it has a 3rd gen i7 thats socketed. Would I need to do any BIOS trickery to get it to work in a T420 or is it drop in compatible?

>t420
>no SSD
What's the best bang 4 buck? Thanks

I have a t430 with what appears to be a genuine battery that refuses to charge

is this a battery or laptop issue?
will a modded bios fix this?

I have the same thing. It's a dead battery. Lots of companies had these things plugged in 24/7, killing the battery pretty quick.
Buy a chink battery. They're after market, no warranty, but it's a t430. No warranty anyways

Attached: 1519513744014.jpg (259x194, 8K)

3rd gen i7 should just work in a t420. You might have some voltage issues, so just check which i7 you have and the power supply voltage for the t420.

None of my local sellers sell 2240 SSDs. Should I just get one from aliexpress or stick with a 2.5"? They cost about the same.

you need to flash coreboot for it to boot ivy bridge CPUs
It might be a T420 battery. Does it bitch at you on boot about not being able to charge it?

My monitor says its connected to my Intel graphics, is there a way to change it to my dGPU ?

Attached: default gpu.png (421x302, 11K)

Are ThinkPads the "mosin nagant" of Jow Forums?

Pretty much - ive been here since 2013 and its been a shilling ground for MemePads, terrorist watched, SICP (even though its good) and Guhnoo ever since
Although the 2012 and prior archives suggest it was a bit more tame a while back

Attached: 1565578835835.png (536x505, 741K)

i just got a t440p and gambled on an i7 4980hq and it worked. greatest laptop ive ever owned and for cheaper than most new consumer grade laptops

I got mine about 5months back, i got to say... i feel like i need an upgrade (im using 4700mq,8gb ram and 730m) to a desktop PC or just a more modern laptop since the T440P runs slower and slower by the day [and investing hundreds of dollars in a new CPU is not something i feel is a good future proof investment since the laptop is already an 'old laptop'].
I use it docked as a desktop pc, mostly use it for browsing, VS, image editing with PS and discord... and it struggles to do all these tasks comfortably (intermittent crashing and general lag galore)

i know this is a dumb question but are you using an ssd? ever since ive had an ssd ive never had a computer get slower with time, it has always felt about the same for very long periods of time. before an ssd i would reinstall windows 7 on my desktop every year because it would gradually slow down

im using a decent brand SSD and im getting a cheapo 512gb one soon aswell for running a separate linux partition
i have to use win10 for uni lab work simply because trying to hamfist the .NET shit into linux is a bitch, linux MUCH better for browsing and stuff, but image editing and IDE programming was a fucking pain on linux

anyone actually use one of the tablet versions of these to do graphic design/drawing? i'm considering grabbing an x230 version but not sure how well it runs win 10 so i could load it up with some creative suite.

Do I buy an x220 for 180 CAD?
Just wanna do some light web work and install muh loonicks again, maybe I'll max out the ram...

i was wondering because i havent had my t440p for too long and my cpu isnt much better than yours but so far i have been running VS perfectly, ive even had two VS solutions open and an instance of unity3d and nothing feels slow in any way.

180 cad for an x220 is fucking ridiculous mate, you should pay C$125 MAX

if youre paying $180 you could get a better/newer thinkpad

it's like a good 400 for a x/t4x gen or 300 for a x/t3x. feels like the market sucks here

where the fuck are you looking? i can get a T430i for $100, i recently picked up this X200T for C$30 with a locked BIOS and bad battery ()

try locally (letgo and FB marketplace are where i usually go)

Looking for-
Backlit keyboard
1080p screen (ips would be nice)
8gb ram
Closer to 4 pounds
Closer to $150 used on eBay (no os/hdd listings or whatever)
Considering T540p, or Zbook 15 any better options?

Attached: 82777d7d99b54f2aa1eafb6599174097.jpg (437x370, 105K)

No, I like the laptop. My inclination is to repair it, but my dad (who is a CS prof and is fairly knowledgeable in this area) seems to think fixing it is a waste of time and that I should just throw it out.

>are you positive its the mobo and not a dying SSD?
How would a dying SSD cause issues with booting? As in, the computer switching off a second or two after it comes on, before even getting through the bios screen. I found a thread through google of someone with a similar or identical issue, and commenters there believed it was a mobo problem.