Im trying to get into gnu/linux, and am starting by using ubuntu in virtual box. For some reason...

Im trying to get into gnu/linux, and am starting by using ubuntu in virtual box. For some reason, whenever i press start, it just freezes at this screen. Any suggestions? i have virtualization enabled in my bios.

Attached: ebe570c6ba0efa349760028c9ea51c75.png (639x550, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2019/07/13/amd-ryzen-3000-linux-problems/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

I’d say you didn’t properly enable Hyper-v / VTx.
Also check if your disk matches the 32/64 bit setting of the VM. Make sure that both drive size and RAM is are at sane values.
Press ctrl alt F1 and check the output

gotta say it linux as a desktop is ass, but linux in the command line is godly

how much RAM?

im going to try creating a new virtual machine and allocating more ram, that may be the issue.

Where could i enable that? Also, im on an AMD processor. would anything be different due to that?

you dont need to create new
give it more cores and ram but not too much

Bios/UEFI settings
Look for AMD-v of Hyper-v

I gave it the maximum ammount of ram (to stay in the green), 10000mb. Im still getting the same screen

like that guy say try enable Hyper-v / VTx
also check in the UEFI if it support 64 bit virtualization
also if you have a low ram computer and you run ubuntu 18.04 with VM it may be too much for your machine

I believe i have enabled hyper v, but when i look for it in control pannel, it doesnt come up. i just enabled "Windows hypervisor" though and i think that would help? My pc has a ryzen 3700x and 16gb of ram, i dont think the specs are the issue.

Does anyone know what that screen is called? it shows the little person in the bubble and a keyboard. i cant find any guides that show that screen online.

> Any suggestions?
Follow the other user's instructions to try and fix your virtualization.

Also try something else than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is one of the most retarded distros in terms of what it actually has in its init, the dumb thing had issues booting on so much hardware.

Oh, and if in the end it all doesn't work, just put it your linux ISO on a live USB with etcher or rufus or whatever and boot that.

It's a fancy decoration "splash screen" (probably by plymouth or something) to "clam down" the init's text messages that happen behind it to not upset the plebian brainlets with too much information.

delete your instance
update virtual box
reboot your computer
create new with a reasonable amount of rams and cores

Thanks. ill probably try to boot from the USB. i looked it up, and i dont have windows 10 pro, so i dont have hyper V access. not sure how im supposed to use virtualbox without that, or if its necessary at all. im pretty new to all of this so its a lil confusing

BTW, ive tried using debian too and i just got a logo screen as the frozen screen.

Does this happen with other versions of Ubuntu too?
Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Is your hardware supported?
Ubuntu can be a bitch.

Can't really go wrong with that. Just think for a moment what partitions you put it on if you actually choose to install it for dual boot later on or before you use the file manager to delete all windows files. Else it's safe.

> BTW, ive tried using debian too and i just got a logo screen as the frozen screen.
Knoppix, Sabayon, Sysrescuecd and so on are the ones with cleverer boots.

MX, Fedora, etc. has a different one too that works in more cases in my experience.

But it won't necessarily matter on if that LiveUSB works

Attached: CopyQ.CcmWWy.png (668x60, 6K)

Don't enable Hyper-V. That's Microsoft's hypervisor, and it fucks up Virtualbox and VMWare. You want to look for AMD-V or VT-x in the BIOS depending on whether you have an AMD or Intel processor.

that's something i havent considered. im on an x570 and a 3700x. Brand new PC, i didnt even think that the distros might not be supported.

Lol go to settings and give it more than 1 processor. It's retarded but it worked for me

betanews.com/2019/07/13/amd-ryzen-3000-linux-problems/
This is what a quick google search got me but it also could be old news.

You could also try another version of Ubuntu if they have them or another distro.(Linux Mint or whatever)

unironically now, normal ubuntu is too simple, lacking in options

try;
mint cinnamon/xfce
lubuntu
kubuntu
MX linux [light xfce but has many configuration options]
or deepin linux

linux is not as advanced as windows, is lacking in software and is annoying, but for home desktop for web browsing, all internet shit, it's faster than windows [really, I spend past month playing with it on ssd, it's like a butter]

This actually worked, wtf. Thanks for the help guys hahah

deepin feels like budget mac book

I wish linux had more software

only problem is, now my mouse wont work within the software. im stuck on the "installer menu", but at least its progress.

i told you to add more cores you fucking retard
apparently Ubuntu 64 bit cant work with one core.. i wonder why

Alright, well that part is fixed now. i just cant get my mouse or keyboard to work within the virtual machine

im going to sleep
last tip unplug your router and try again

>apparently Ubuntu 64 bit cant work with one core.. i wonder why
Ubuntu has fucked up more than many minor distros I've had on my multiboot/VM/old machine playgrounds.

I'd say their maintainers just roll that way.

> I wish linux had more software
Yes. It has more software than mac books.

>linux is not as advanced as windows, is lacking in software and is annoying

Attached: 1562273390681.gif (350x193, 3.01M)

learn cygwin instead
once you're confidence with it, install linux

input->mouse integration
right control key to toggle between vm and local

Now that we are talking about virtualization on AMD procesor, i have a ryzen 7 2700 and i was trying to use Android Studio but the fucking emulator didnt work. I googled and they said to enable windows hypervisor for it to work (official android studio website from 1 year ago), so i did. The android emulators wouldnt load ever. Ended up using genymotion

I had virtualization enabled in bios btw

Well... No tip for you there, I have one running on my athlon 200ge and my main issues were the vt-x thing and cpu cores. Maybe ram or video memory allocation?

What did they mean by this?

Attached: file.png (73x34, 2K)

Stick to Windows/Mac.
Linux isn't for tech illiterates.

I literally set up ubuntu in virtual box a week ago. Got a similar issue but what worked for me was increasing the amount of ram/vram and cpus. Also give it enough space to install or else the installation will hang.

Shove a keyboard up your ass, obviously. The circle is meant to represent your anus. The person is inside of it because you're up your own ass.

>Any suggestions?
use a less retarded, more user-friendly distro like Linux mint, ElementaryOS or Manjaro.

Linux is a kernel

Knowing Ubuntu, this is as likely an explanation as any.

Attached: 1522092066813.gif (250x250, 993K)

The real answer here is it's the enabled interfaces. The keyboard represents the normal computer interfaces like kb and mouse. The man in the circle stands for "human interface devices". That used to be stuff for the handicapped, but nowadays it's also devices that plug in via USB or bluetooth.

always surprised UbuntuMATE isn't thrown in that grouping more. Mate's great. after importing lots of extras from Gnome, it's even better.

I know it's not as lean as Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, but it's not hugely so. If'n you have the RAM head space, like 2Gb, the polish is worth it, especially for the beginner. I started on Lubuntu, which I still like, but once moving to UbuntuMATE, i'm really happy.

I do have another spare system I plan on trying Xubuntu and Kubuntu. I really want to see what those are about. I'm getting ready to change out the HDD of my UbuntuMATE system, so I want to make sure it's what I want, instead of X- or K-.

Attached: ubantu-ram-usage.png (1366x768, 106K)

>i told you to add more cores you fucking retard

The absolute state of Jow Forums's "Free Tech Support"

Attached: 1564489135114.gif (400x302, 496K)