Wayland

Wayland
I want to try wayland. Is there a distro that ships wayland as the default right now? Preferably one that supports proprietary nvidia drivers.
What are your thoughts on wayland? Is it the next systemd? Does x suck ass and need to go? Are you excited to switch or will you switch to some autistic duvian tier fork to avoid it for the next 10 years?

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

X for life. If I switch to Wayland I won't have any excuses to have mom cancel my meetings.

Don't quote me on this but I remember there being issues with Nvidia stuff, either the cards themselves or the nonfree drivers.
>Thoughts
Still needs work to be useable day to day
>Next systemd
god I hope not
>X sucks
Yep

Yeah last I heard it will be another year till they get Wayland playing nicely with the proprietary Nvidia drivers. I was hoping they might have made some progress.

Nobody has any thoughts on wayland?

what if.... everything sucks and your choice doesn't matter

Do you have a reason to use Wayland right now? If not, there's no reason to switch -- you will notice no difference and have to use an X compatibility layer for most programs

It's not hard to get Arch set up with Wayland using sway. Just launch it from a tty and disable xwayland in the config file. Use bemenu instead of dmenu. Simple

Sounds gay, why would I bother with wayland then?
>Arch
No
>Sway
No
>Config file
No

Windows won't obey KDE windows rules settings and opening thunderbird is still hit and miss with funny little jerky glitches and artifacts.
But hey, the spinning cube works again.

I think Fedora uses Wayland by default, and Ubuntu has a Wayland session in the session menu before login.

github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki
>All proprietary graphics drivers are unsupported. This includes the Nvidia proprietary driver. The open source Nouveau driver is required instead. This is not going to change, don't ask. Tip: buy your hardware with open source support in mind.

Attached: le smirking rubbish man.jpg (300x400, 31K)

GNOME works with Wayland with proprietary nvidia drivers, but it's a hack since nvidia doesn't officially support wayland (durr... we dunno what the next display tech on linux will be so we'll stick with x) and stuff doesn't work like night light.

On AMDGPU everything works more or less. Main issue I had was games wanting to launch all distorted on my vertical monitor instead of on my main monitor, so I'm on X for now.

>What are your thoughts on wayland?
It honestly looks well designed, but way too immature.
>Is it the next systemd?
No way. It should be less bloated than current stuff. Though it's still possible some seriously greedy and malicious implementation fucks everything up in a similar manner.
>Does x suck ass and need to go?
It's fine. There's no simple solution to display servers and absolutely no better alternatives had been proposed at the same time.
>Are you excited to switch or will you switch to some autistic duvian tier fork to avoid it for the next 10 years?
I expect X will remain the best option for the next 10 to 20 years. There is no simple way to replace everything and if it somehow happened faster than that it would probably be because of some well-financed malicious entity like Poettering.

X is complete garbage, it's disgustingly bloated and poorly written. However there's so many components that rely on it, it makes switching very difficult. Xorg is to glibc as Wayland is to musl. Is Wayland perfect? No. Is it usable? Yes. Is it usable without an X compatability layer? Yes but you're gonna feel the lack of native applications

Gave sway a shot, stick with X.

Still a lot of stupid problems. Can't use keybinds for non-focused programs at all (think something like push to talk). Wayland needs to change a good bit before it's nicer.

I'm on GNOME Wayland and nightlight works for me...

Are you using nvidia proprietary drivers?

It's possible they fixed that, I did submit a bug.

sway has been great for me

Attached: shot.png (1920x1080, 1.61M)

>god I hope not
Only reason you hate systemd is cuz you read second-hand shit that sounds bad but you can't even verify of it's true.

Oh shit, I am! It didn't work for a while but started working a few months ago, so I'm not sure if it's the drivers or a bug fix. I don't want to try changing to free-drivers in case I actually need the proprietary stuff. Work stuff on here and all.

Attached: 1519130307900.gif (262x200, 498K)

I bet there is some old guy still using suse linux 6.0 on a Pentium 4 because he thinks 7.0 was bloat.

>wayland
>nvidia
Choose one.

Get Debian 10 with Gnome.

>Preferably one that supports proprietary nvidia drivers
Kill yourself

The hell, user? As much as I detest Nvidia and all the shit they pull, this is a pathetic response.

No, I don't like systemd cause it's much more than an init. I simply have no use for most of its features. Anyway my point was that I hope that Wayland doesn't cause a shitstorm like systemd.