Is touch typing a meme?

Is touch typing a meme?
How did you learned it Jow Forums?
Does it ever come in handy?

Attached: Touch-Typing-Deluxe_4.png (740x613, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9JIV-QL_Ga0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no
shitpostingg
maximum shitposting efficiency

I relearned it when I picked up Colemak. Best decision.

no
keybr and typeracer
Makes work and shitposting much less of a chore.

no
mmorpgs
yes

you don't actually...look at your keyboard...when you type.. do you user?
i mean do you also look at your legs when you walk?

How can being able to type without looking down or missing keys with your fingers possibly be a meme?

Games, lots and lots of video games (multiplayer, mostly talking shit...)

Attached: original_0.gif (300x456, 567K)

no, how is efficiency a meme?
playing MMOs since a relatively young rage
yes

Do people really use the internet typing like fucking GRRM one finger pecking?

Steam group chats and IRC is where I learned to touch type

They call that touch typing? I thought it was just knowing how to use a keyboard. It's an invaluable skill, like writing neatly or driving a car.

>Tfw these shitposting morons have been typing out posts one key at a time like a bird would

since you are not looking down, you can never know what you actually type lol

This. Typeracer is what brought me from 50 wpm to 90 wpm. Typeracer is the BEST place to learn how to type because it's fun and addicting. Other websites have fundamental flaws like not including punctuation (tenfastfingers) or by asking you to type the same words (typingtest)

Typeracer. It's fun. It uses text from the real world.

Touch typing is not a meme, it makes everything computer related easier. The only thing that sucks is when you have to use somebody else's computer, especially when their layout differs in a slight way. Learn it.

no
if you play enough roblox and flash games, you'll eventually get it (even if it's not on the homerow and some absolutely retarded button mashing)

btw i am 18
yes

>he didn't grow up typing
>he can't match most touch-typist's speed with the 3-finger more floated variant
Using your pinkies for Q and P is a fucking meme. Your ring fingers can take two columns just like your index fingers can.

this, pinkies are for shift

I never properly learned so I only use certain fingers. Left hand is in a WASD layout, as well as stretching over pretty far to the right side of the keyboard, and my right is just index for letters, and ring for space/backspace. It gets my by, although using only my right index keeps me capped at around 60 wpm. I'm sure if I incorporated my right middle finger into the mix I could ramp it up, but I have no need to.

This. When they taught me typing in high school this was mandatory. You literally flunked if you could not type this way.

as opposed to what? telekinetic typing?

The real skill is touch typing with one hand while you have your dick in the other

I don't use my pinkies when I type. Avg avout 70 wpm. Also if you type enough you'll eventually learn to not look at the keyboard.

is this a joke?

>not shaving your head and transmitting words from your brain via eeg implants
desu I wish I wasn't neet so I could splurge on experimental tech. Tho, I've saved up for a northstar. Now gotta save up for 3d camera crap that costs as much as the hmd itself heeeh.

Wait, some of you niggers can't type without looking at the keyboard?

No.
Playing The Typing of The Dead and using a typewriter when I was 12.

No?
Naturally over the course of 20 years
It just werks.

what? touch typing? what other type of typing exists that doen't involve touching something?

>Is touch typing a meme?
You can type without looking at your keyboard with whatever method and be fast with it.
Touch typing is a meme.

>How did you learned it Jow Forums?
I guess I had a text file that I would pour my train of thought in for 10min every day (touchtyping mandatory) and then I just got used to it.

>Does it ever come in handy?
I never think about it like I never think about the way I'm speaking.

fuck i cant do more than 100 wpm, what do i do?

I probably type at 80% the speed of someone who learned touch typing but I do occasionally look at the keyboard. I'm in this weird flux state whereby I can type without looking if I start well but if I lose my place I'm done and I have to start pecking slowly again

flash2:wave:Selling Raw Lobsters 200gp

Touch typing is not a meme.
Learned sort of in middle school, but really got better at it just from being plugged into the internet and shitposting on a chinese cartoon forum all throughout highschool back in the day.

Having said that, I don't touch type strictly by the book. For example, I almost always hit Y with my left index finger

Its definitely not a meme. The best decision I ever took is to learn touch typing.
Learnt it from typingclub.com
and practice from Typeracer...

If you peck and type right now or you have to look down to type. Trust me learning to touch type is the most fruitful thing you will ever experience. Its going to be hard. Don't give up.

yes, yes, yes and YES
remember this, 90% of the things you see on net net were typed with two fingers by retarded normalfags

aka most Jow Forums posts? :^)

I learned it in elementary school. This thread is like asking "is it worth learning how to write?"

I didn't, I just typed on the keyboard until I got good at it

>is touch typing a meme?
I don't think so
>how did you learn to do it Jow Forums?
been using computers since I was a kid
>does it ever come in handy
sometimes I have to type out long essays so yeah I guess

>no
>playing starcraft 2 for 3 and a half year
>I guess
I honestly thought anyone who wasn't a boomer didnt look at their keyboard whilst typing, had to look up what touch typing even meant

no
GNU Typist
yes

>he doesn't know keybr

When people say touch typing they don't mean not looking at the keyboard, they're talking about typing the way that its taught in typing classes using all 10 fingers. Anybody who spends enough time typing will learn to not look at the keyboard no matter how they type

I started practicing touch typing while doing Duolingo. 2 birds 1 stone

so how did that work out for you

what's a touch typing? you mean typing without looking at keyboard?
I learned it by shitposting
put your pointing at things fingers to the bumps on keyboard and fucking learn it
it's fucking easy, don't be a person who types like a fucking retard with two fingers.
the number of times I saw someone at bank, computer shop or pretty much at any other institution, be it government or private company, typing on keyboard with two fucking fingers.
what the actual fuck
you waste my and everyone else's time!
just fucking learn to use your stupid fingers!
and when you learn, use these fingers on your gf, she'll appreciate it!

Attached: 1523489009469.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

I use my thumbs to type because I HAVE SEX

Birds don't type like that. This is how birds type youtube.com/watch?v=9JIV-QL_Ga0

Same boat. At least vim isn't too bad w colemak.

It's a meme. I don't type that way, I still use my 10 fingers but I just let them go wherever they want instead of assigning a column for each one. I average 130wpm with 180wpm peaks.

I confess I barely know vim. I get to use IntilliJ derivatives. I use 50% custom shortcuts anyway and would probably do the same there.

T H I S
H
I
S

120 sustained wpm due to Runescape and WoW

The per-finger grouping is trash and stupid. Learning the layout of the keyboard, being able to type without looking and acquiring muscle memory are good, though.
I barely learned the two F and J keys in my native language when I was small, using a program with a skipping rabbit. In actuality I learned to quickly type and to acquire muscle memory playing IRC bot trivia games. The skill transcended to English with time and video games.
It's handy for sure. Being able to type while someone is talking to me without breaking eye contact is nice. Typing quickly helps with dictations. It's good to show off.

Well if you learnt to type the proper way of typing, which you call touch typing, you don't really have to look at the keyboard. So touch typing enables you not to look at the keyboard. Its really weird that this is even an argument because keyboards were designed to be used without being looked at.

accuracy matters too

I hate our current keyboard layout. Who in their right mind thought to put all the special characters either on the numbers with shift (numbers being pretty far away which requires longer movements) or all on your right pinky minus a few (which is also slow because your pinky can only move so fast).
Also, why is the right shift farther away in most cases compared to the left?

>Also, why is the right shift farther away in most cases compared to the left?
That doesn't affect me much since my left hand actually covers more of the keyboard than my right because I'm weird like that.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard the reason the QWERTY style was adopted in the first place was to intentionally slow down typists back in the day of mechanical typewriters, because if you went too fast, it would jam. Again, could be total bullshit.

This is pretty spergy but I bring my 65% keyboard when I know that someone’s shit is broken and I’m going to be fixing it for them. I can’t stand awkward laptop layouts or rubber domes anymore... also, germs.

Attached: E85CF58A-DBA2-4DF1-BED0-4965B56EAE47.jpg (2050x1536, 784K)

I litterally just spent an hour on keybr and I can say that it's pretty good. The only downside is that it doesn't test punctuation like typeracer, but it does help iron out some errors.

I had a really hard time with qs lmao

I do 110 WPM and never heard of touch typing in the first place. I thought no one looked at their keyboards when typing.

When you use the gas pedal, do you also put your head out the window to make sure the wheels are really spinning?