/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1509668275655.jpg (2048x1536, 1.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/puns.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GVXCr6upWUo
youtube.com/watch?v=ribKSCX85w4
dwm.suckless.org/patches/
github.com/cmus/cmus.git
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gnu? not a fan

What's a good distro + de and/or wm for a laptop with a shitty trackpad?

>wm for a laptop with a shitty trackpad
i3
tiling wms are usually operated using the keyboard and i3 is an easy-to-use one

Hey, does anyone know some good free fonts? I am working on x200 laptop, mostly typing in Emacs and terminal with font size 16.
Any mono font advice?

>program INSISTS on making ~/bin and ~/R
at what point did it become acceptable to dump everything into the home directory? isn't it supposed to be MY stuff?

Is this your go-to cop out when you face an argument you can't win?
Because its quite pathetic.

FOSSCON in my area this weekend. Should I go? Listen to some talks and maybe N E T W O R K

liberation mono

thanks user :)

Whats the best gaming Linux?

Does distro even make a difference at this point? Steam proton is all that's needed really. Performance-wise I've never done any benchmarking. Just some 90s-00s PC games on my ThinkPad. Unfortunately still married to Windows on my gayman rig.

Manjaro

stallman.org/puns.html

Attached: 20cjk37d6072ye8925sifp06.jpg (676x401, 38K)

Just Parabola your PC up senpai

Attached: Parabola+Logo+gnu+bola.png (1489x2048, 444K)

Almost all Linux is GNU/Linux, and it is vastly similar as regards its system tools and capabilities.

why not

>this is an unironic logo

>My new keyboard can do roll over. Also play dead.
what did he mean by this

Attached: godfather.png (505x702, 530K)

yep, and?

indeed, gnu is an operating system, not a fan.

welcome to FREE art

>gnu is an operating system
Wait what?
I thought it was the framework making things like the linux kernel possiblek, especially the legal part...

Anyways, suggest me a ungoogled chromium version, I can't use whatsapp web in firefox running void linux.... please?

Come on, it's just meant to be two fun mascots, I know everything that isn't wide eyed and has colorful long hair arouses your displeasure, but just see it for what it is, a cartoon mascot.

gnu.org

Okay... but what about a browser?

use IceCat

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

The center part looks like the Arch logo.

Ohshit, I already dled chromium to test if whatsapp web will work in it.
Otherwise I probably have somehting missing, I installed minimal after all and am still learning how to properly build it up.
is icecat a firefox fork? I wanted to test if chromeshit would give me better performance.

Icecat is a Firefox ESR rebuild/fork. Current ESR is 68 so Whatsapp Web should definitely work for all your curry and taco scented social networking needs.

More of a newbie to the GNU/Linux
Currently running Debian stable with XFCE
Given that 4.14 just came out for XFCE, can I ever expect to get the update on my current install?

>curry and taco scented social networking needs.
I did try ot get my family to switch to telegram or better yet signal, but especially my middle brother going to uni for gaymes engineering is being a fag about it.

We have two different arguments - you argue for purely technical features of a proprietary software developed by a huge commercial corporation, we argue for ethical software development. GIMP exists entirely within the ethical realm - and it has accomplished many impressive things, despite all extreme difficulties and its 100% volunteer developer community.

Also, just tried chr*mium, and it doesen't let me use WA web, it just stays there and won't scan the QR code, what a shitty situation.

It's not a go to copout, it is the manifestation of having a different prioritization.
That said, for me GIMP is enough, sure, if I want to go to where you'd have to be at least at 95% of your theoretical limit of affinity with photo editing, then I would use Photoshop, but holy shit me using it is like a fat dude on a racing bicycle.
It would also change a lot if people stopped recommending Photoshop to anyone and everyone, since then GIMP would get more donations and improve more, getting better features and even smoother operation, but I honestly can't say GIMP is bad to use right now as it stands. When was the last time you used it?

Best Linux Distro/environment for a beginner?

Kali

Debian
You have to tinker a little bit to get it usable but it's nothing too difficult so you learn a lot

The problem is, all beginner distros are garbage.

Seconding Debian.

Can I use my OEM Windows license in a VM somehow? Want to ditch dual boot but I still need Windows.

Does it matter if you get the watermark if you're just running it through a VM?

>wiki.installgentoo.com
So is this coming back ever?

>Can I use my OEM Windows license in a VM somehow? Want to ditch dual boot but I still need Windows.
You have to read the license and check if you can. Also, if you have a microsoft account and an OEM license attached to it, you could probably pick a VM as your system you're using it on.

But you barely have functional restrictions without a license, no?
What are you doing that requires it, is there a lockdown I don't know about?

>it's just meant to be two fun mascots
drawn like shit.
it literally oozes of some +50yo drawing it and everyone eating it up because freetards have no idea what you can get on the internet these days

>GIMP exists entirely within the ethical realm
Cop out it is then.
I totally agree with your point. Especially with your fat guy on a bicycle analogy. If you're not going pro or want to be serious, then Gimp is a great choice to dabble with.
But I dont agree with not recomnending Photoshop over it, because I'd like to assume that anyone asking for a program like that, at least has enough interest to be serious at one point. If someone would ask "whats a good image program to dab with photos and make memes?" then I'd say Gimp in a heartbeat.
>When was the last time you used it?
Yesterday.

dead meme, dead distro, dead site

will soon be replaced by wiki.installarch.com

Now I am interested.
What should the mascots look like to be approved by you?
Sure, it could look better, but I really don't see what is so bad with them. Is it not modern enough, should it be flat jagged shapes and colors?
"Modern" design?

>If someone would ask "whats a good image program to dab with photos and make memes?" then I'd say Gimp in a heartbeat.
lel
Well, it could at least some effort be made to promote an open alternative to PS, it is something that would be really nice to see and things like pfSense prove it is possible to get far with open source. I mean, just imagine that adobe monopoly toppling, damn it would be great, no more infringing on privacy, no more bullshit subs for this bloated mess (same with adobe reader) and all the other shit everyone likes to complain about.

just installed kde
it's so fucking good, why did i insist on using xfce before this

dont listen to these retards
just use linux mint or one of ubuntu flavor

This is a logo AND mascots. The logo alone is the blue arc.

checkout pcretest
you probably have it installed

make a file with a perl regular expression at the top and some test cases below
/\w+/g
some test cases on this line
and on this line

then run pcretest on it
pcretest file.txt

matches are printed to stdout
PCRE version 8.43 2019-02-23

/\w+/g
some test cases on this line
0: some
0: test
0: cases
0: on
0: this
0: line
and on this line
0: and
0: on
0: this
0: line

also if you're unaware, grep can use perl regular expressions with the -P flag

I was trying to use Void. Installation is quick, package manager is easy, fine. For some reason, I cannot mount my external drives open if I'm not root. I added the necessary groups to my username and I have the necessary packages (ntfs-3g, gvfs, etc).
Anyone knows what to do with this? I was using Xfce btw.

Attached: vd.png (1200x989, 62K)

Let me tell you this as the illustration student from the other thread: 99% of adobe users, use a cracked version.

Only people buying it are companies, since they obviously can't have professional work be done on pirated software. But as far as end user usage goes, paying for it is on par with paying for Winamp.

I mean, sure as a student you get a good payment plan, and they really try to push it down your throats. In our case, we didn't have to pay shit because its a paid for license by the University.

downloading from ppa is so fucking slow
what the fuck

reminder that there is nothing wrong with dual booting as long as you do it from two different drives like any sensible person would

Is it possible to split disk in two partitions without formatting it?
I need to do it but i have a lot of important files there that i can't move anywhere.

Heh.
youtube.com/watch?v=GVXCr6upWUo

Please for the love of god get a backup medium before doing this.
Just look it up on yt:
youtube.com/watch?v=ribKSCX85w4

i3 sucks, name a better window manager. And don't name awesomewm cos that sucks too.

Attached: comic-book-guy-internet-king.jpg (1920x1080, 77K)

why do you think it sucks?

dwm
>but that sucks too
patch it
dwm.suckless.org/patches/

No. Debian stable doesn't do things like that. You could conpile it yourself, if you want to learn some things. I would recommend reading about how to build packages for your distro. Arch uses PKGBUILDs and makepkg. Debian seems to use something called debuild. Have a look at their wiki.
The advantage of making a package is that you can install/uninstall it with your package manager, instead of just wildly copying files to /usr.

will this work with NTFS?

Any ideas how I could boost my ~ rating?

Attached: untitled.png (1048x609, 59K)

it are shit

thanks will try

Are there any other modal terminals besides termite? I like having universal vim bindings and not losing them when running a REPL or using ssh.

I decided to try linux again after a 5 year break.
I visited Distrowatch and i see that MX Linux is VERY popular. Why?
Isn't mint was THE king back then?
I was using mint and debian testing. What's the difference between them and MX?

How do I install cmus 2.8.0? My package manager only gives me 2.7 when I update. Do I have to compile it on my own? Should I follow a guide or just
>figure it out
t. new linux user who's never compiled anything

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (433x380, 35K)

>memewatch doesn't measure popularity but clicks. Don't fall for their Jew tricks.

Also considering Mint, how did you enjoy it?

Distrowatch isn't a reliable measure of popularity. There's also a conspiracy that MX is using bots to boost their Distrowatch rating.

I fucked up the greentext, but point still stands, pardon my retardation.

it's easy if you just want to get it and not do anything fancy. according to their github:
git clone github.com/cmus/cmus.git
cd cmus
make
make install

What distro should I put on my x230? I experimented with a few distros years back but just can't decide which do throw on it. Mostly for light programming n shieet

i installed these two arc themes using git then ./install.sh. Do I have to keep these two folders on my home folder or can i delete them now that they're installed?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-13 22-49-45.png (656x495, 40K)

I'd say go with fedora. At least you wont have to apt-get update all the time like a dumbass.

I'd go with Manjaro KDE or xubuntu depending on how powerful the machine is.

I'm trying to contain two botnet electron programs inside flatpak.
The problem is that if I install both of them on /app/bin they will replace each others files and stop working.
How can I make one of them load from like /app/bin/electronshit2? I installed one there but I get
bwrap: execvp electronshit2: Permission denied
and its 0755. folder is in the PATH too

ew kde

What do you use?

He uses gnome shell like a faggot

I suspect he is a disgusting feet lover, yes.

Keep the folders so you can check for updates with git.

oh ok. Thanks.

You can move them somewhere else, if you font want to have a mess in your ~.

oh thank god. That's what I wanted to hear. I'll move them to a separate folder. Thanks.

first for Fedora

Attached: 1562125662138.jpg (657x624, 170K)

Hello I'm using guake on manaro and somehow the colors in guake terminal got fucked up. How do I get pacman to remove and re-install guake?

I've been distro hopping for about 6 years now. Tried pretty much all that there is to try and now I just want a no hassle system. Recently I've had the idea of installing a minimal Slackware system and just building any program I may need as an Appimage. Is this a dumb idea or would it be a stable system with up to date software?

Sorry. I assumed you cloned the package with git. Maybe you downloaded the tarball from github and don't even have git installed.
No biggie, you prolly won't be left unaware of crucial security updates to you're theme packs :^)

After typing 'make' it begins to compile but this happens 10 lines in:

In file included from command_mode.c:19:0:
command_mode.h:27:10: fatal error: curses.h: No such file or directory
#include
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

did I fuck up somewhere or is something wrong with the files I downloaded from github?

It just means you don't have the header file for curses (which is a terminal manipulation library).
Install a package called, perhaps, ncurses-dev or equivalent for your distro.

You are missing a header file that is needed for compilation. You need to install a package that includes that header file. On Arch this is provided by ncurses. Ubuntu has it in libcurses-dev.

Does it say anything in the install instructions about nurses being a dependency?

I'm trying to dual boot windows and openSUSE tumbleweed on two separate drives. The tumbleweed drive doesn't show up in the bios, but it does show up in the "boot menu" (F11 at startup, as opposed to DEL). I've been able to boot to tumbleweed from there, and the install was perfectly successful. Why won't my bios recognize the drive with tumbleweed as bootable?

Not sure, but there are tools that allow resizing ntfs under linux.

why the FUCK does rebooting from windows into ubuntu kill all sound??
I have to shut down then power my pc back on to get sound If Im in windows first

no i cloned it using git.

KDE good