/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ thread!
Bump limit edition

Last thread ---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

>Links & resources
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J (embed)
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

What hardware do you have on your shopping list and what are you going to use it for?

Attached: 1562580699628.jpg (1080x1620, 454K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=knbqA4FCwPw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
forums.anandtech.com/threads/assfuck.2251048/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Main server, connecting back home while on the road

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-082317__01.jpg (1561x898, 285K)

And my cell phone for no reason at all
>Secs

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-082425__01.jpg (1359x853, 289K)

>tfw driving

Attached: IMG-20190815-WA0000.jpg (1600x1200, 156K)

based law breaker
>that date format
Cringepilled

i want to make a small comfy home server to archive youtube videos, images and other stuff that takes up a lot of space.
Is it a good idea to run this on an Athlon II X4 631, because storing a bunch of files isn't going to be intensive or should i get an old xeon for cheap?

Attached: 5F73E258A0884BA18FBEDAD12CD00882.png (540x720, 492K)

What is a good server for a child to start on?

I want to get all our movies in once place for the house and I would like to teach my daughter a little about computers in the process, she is just a cute little loli right now but I know she is going to grow up right if i teach her computing, but i do keep her behind a pi hole

>archive youtube videos

youtube.com/watch?v=knbqA4FCwPw

I work with Euros. It rubs off, but it matches the date codes on my machines anyways

Not enough working with Euros yet.

That's supposed to be 2019-08-15T13:33Z and the only thing you might get away with is not adding the Z.

>referring to your child as a cute little loli
raspberry pi.

Attached: 1554190564117.png (915x678, 309K)

Any unused computer you have laying around. The best server is a free server.

Z for Zulu time? Or what's it for?

More or less: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Yes. Stands for Zulu time / UTC.

You can do 20190815T1333Z, but you must add the T! Everyone needs the T! IT IS NOT OPTIONAL. Small t also not okay.

Attached: 1000px-Grammar_Nazi_Icon_Text.svg.png (1000x1199, 39K)

Lolis prefer GNU+Linux

what services does Jow Forums run?

for me its
samba
plex
sabnzbd
gitlab
tor proxy
some little script
network bridge for my pc because i only have 1 cabel and no 2.5gbit switch.

Plex
rtorrent w/ ruTorrent frontend
Samba
a container for various dev experiments
a few VM instances with Windows/OS X/other non-Linux OSes that I only spin up when needed

that's really all I need, it's primarily a file and media server

Just move to the cloud already, you stupid boomers

Attached: 1547126933890.jpg (258x544, 32K)

no

>what's a computer

Noob here. If Im the only one using my data, is there anything wrong with sticking 6x8TB in my Windows 10 gaming PC and slapping Snapraid on it?

There's nothing wrong with having data sitting on a single hard drive, so there's naturally nothing wrong about adding any safeguards on top of that. All data hardening is merely mitigation; there is no such thing as perfect preservation. What and how much you mitigate depends on how much you value the data and what you're trying to protect against. A power supply failure or a grid problem could fry all your hot/active hard drives simultaneously, for example, so if you really must preserve your data, I'd also do an offline backup every now and then. But what if your living space is burned down? Well, you could have two external backups and rotate them off-location. But what if your house burns down and the off-location disk fails during recovery?

You probably see where I'm going with this. Figure out what the data is worth to you, what odds are worth trying to beat, how much time+money you're willing to spend and plan accordingly. You may find out that you only really have 100 GB of data that you absolutely cannot afford to lose, and everything else is just mainstream music, movies, shows and whatnot that you could re-download from the Web at any point for the foreseeable future.

>cloud
no you fucking zoomer lulz

3-2-1 backups and you're good.

mornin boys, WAYWO? Working from home today so I've been using some little pockets of free time to roll out my Samba DC. Next step will be a secondary DC on an Azure free tier Windows VM, then maybe Azure AD connect

the cloud has its use cases, like scaling up at a moments notice, or quickly expanding to geographically diverse regions. But a man runs his own iron. also have you ever actually used the cloud for anything but a little storage and a VM or two? it's not cheap if you're doing anything significant

Attached: hsg-20190728.jpg (3800x1910, 2.01M)

12x7.2k spinning rust was a mistake, time to move these into the closet.

Attached: 1554956764341.jpg (1525x4186, 1.57M)

I wanna built my own NAS, preferably ZFS, but low power. Would have an Athlon 200GE enough power to handle a zfs2 raid on 8x4TB drives?

Attached: 1563052756091.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

I've got a nice mechanism for that.
My home server sends me email notification each month to connect external 500GB HDD to the front USB 3.0 port for backup verification and update. After it finishes it asks me through internal speaker to disconnect the drive.
Then I hide it in a fireproof and waterproof ammunition box.

yes

What do you think of the Microservers? Worth buying new, or is it better to build something in the same form factor? I have a very small apartment, so I'd like it to be quiet

Thanks, but how'd you know? Can I use an even less power drawing chip?

You'll have to test to know for sure and I don't know what he's basing his post off of, but ZFS isn't so CPU-intensive that any sort of a modern CPU would be the limiting factor unless you're doing complex, constant I/O across much more than 8 drives. A Raspberry Pi could probably manage. Someone here -> forums.anandtech.com/threads/assfuck.2251048/ reports using an E-350 gracefully with 8 drives in 2012, and that CPU is at least five times slower than the 200GE.

Pretty solid information, thanks. Guess I'll just run with my planned build, make a stress test on r/w and downclock if applicable.

Attached: lain_computer.webm (500x355, 621K)

I had a 12-drive, ~20TB ZFS array in my main machine, but I decided I wanted it as a separate NAS. Whoops, the only spare hardware I had was a 2.something-GHz Core 2 Duo with 8GB of DDR2. I did it anyway.

Ordinary file-serving tasks are just fine, copying stuff too or from the NAS proceeds at full gigabit speed. Scrubbing is very obviously bottlenecked though, it scrubs noticeably slower now and htop shows both cores pegged with a load average of 30-something. So use something faster than that 11-year-old CPU. That shouldn't be that high a bar to clear.

>8GB of DDR2
>~20TB
Shouldn't that heavily slow down your writing speeds anyway? Especially on larger things.

the gen 8's are the only ones worth getting imo but hard to find for a decent price these days and there's no better updgrade path for owners, folk just hold onto them forever

Unironically do the needful.

if I ran a database on it (or maybe if it was raidz instead of mirrors) yeah, I bet it'd crawl. but sequential writes, and sequential reads for that matter, are fine. It's random I/O that really kills performance and leads to enterprises throwing massive RAM, L2ARC, log devices, etc at the problem, since almost all their (much heavier) I/O load is random.

Wanna note that I asked about raidz2 in the beginning. Anyway mirrors makes it indeed much more plausible.

12 drives alone will give you decent throughput already anyway

I've been thinking if buying a refurbished rack server, and one thing that stood out to me on the spec sheet is maximum storage capacity, with some of them I'm looking at only supporting 16TB. Is this an actual hardware limitation, or more software oriented? Is this number determined by max drive capacity. For example, does a server with a max internal storage capacity of 16 TB with 8 bays only support up to 2TB in each bay, or would 4 4TB drives be acceptable? Also, how do RAID configs work with this? For example, if I was using RAID 1 would I then be limited to 8 TB of space max, or would I be able to use 16 TB of unique space with 32 TB of drives. I realize some of these questions are stupid but I dont really get where this limit originates from so some clarification would really help before I buy.

ZFS still sucks on low processing power / RAM / ... machines. Do mdadm RAID6 or something instead.

ZFS scaled like shit when I last tested it and it probably still does. Probably runs like 4 drives on another filesystem.

That said, it will saturate GBE regardless -even a single drive does. It just sucks if you do operations over the whole array locally on the server.

Bruh if Intel brought back that 1core 2thread swag it would be at like 14ghz now. I'm all for that. Multicore CPUs are just like the cold war's arm race. The only way to win is not to play

Attached: freaked-logo.jpg (1920x1080, 586K)

are your servers power efficient?
what things do you have in place to ensure efficiency?

Attached: 1565413256508.webm (640x640, 1.43M)

I spin down the drives in my NAS when I'm not using it, but thats about it. most of my stuff is fairly power-thirsty, just because its old. I don't pay Germany-tier electricity rates so, although buying newer stuff for the power savings would eventually pay for itself, it'd take several years. I'm generally not willing to bother unless I need the performance of something new, or I'm concerned that whatever its running on already is failing.

it also helps that I prefer it rather warm, so I don't burn megawatts of power on air conditioning.

A lot of vendors only supported a max of 4tb per drive back in the day due to 32bit firmware limitations, most vendors have patches to circumvent it now. check the vendors page for firmware updates.
2tb max capacity is either referencing a 4 bay rack model or it's extremely old hardware when there was a 2tb limit of ntfs partitions, again, most manufacturers have upgraded their bios to support gpt partitions nad efi bios so it shouldnt matter

Consider spending an extra £30 and getting a new rack, it sounds like you're in the 775 socket era

>are your servers power efficient?
Somewhat.

> what things do you have in place to ensure efficiency?
A J4205 isn't exactly power hungry, the PSU is okay, and I have WOL set up so I can usually shut it down when it is not needed.

Who is this tit cow?