If you're not using gnu/linux, you don't belong here

If you're not using gnu/linux, you don't belong here.

Attached: vvdgjidefxqusohjweiocstiusxqlnpiomwyorab-740.jpg (740x493, 115K)

lain is real >.

Sorry I'm not a fat loser. Smart people aren't fat. Only fat retards use Linux.

>Smart people aren't fat
>implying Steve Wozniak isn't smart
>Implying Richard Stallman isn't smart
I can't wait for summer to end.

It's OK, I've never really belonged anywhere.

I knew someone was going to mention Wozniak as an exception. Stallman is still a retard. Outliers don't matter and you're still a fat retard.

I use GNU/Linux, I'm not a freetard thought that thinks I should run GNU/Linux on literally everything I own.
Tool for the job, every OS sucks.

Stallman is one of the dumbest people. I can get behind people making code open source, but forcing it upon people is stupid. And not using ok commercial programs because there not open source is a stupid idea

>now 3dpd lain exist
thanks new generation

Attached: 1564245024951.png (1000x1000, 350K)

My computer is too old for gnu/linux but not old enough for gnu/linux.
The Geforce 9800gt in particular is just out of the range where the valve efforts into making the linux fast for gaming is a thing for it (no vulkan, driver is literally half as fast as the windows).

>Stallman is one of the dumbest people.
I just can't help but imagine an actual retard writing this.

Attached: 1562535766369.jpg (480x480, 32K)

well I guess Im the retard then

>Heh yeah right kid pedoman is wicked smaht, just like me

Lain doesn't use gnu/linux

Attached: 1562501416449.jpg (1008x567, 160K)

I run Linux, I don't give a fuck about GNU/Linux.

Aww babie's first OS install.

More of the OP girl?

The O.S that Lain uses isnt a Mac equivalent made by Tachibana Laboratories?

Attached: hnmhnmh.jpg (706x540, 57K)

back to Jow Forumseddit retard

>gnu/linux
It's Linux.

when i first discovered Jow Forums last 2y , i came in with win .
now my main pc is linux mint for years , dont like to change that , still works for me very good.
am now into programming , and bc of some ppl i almost started with vim but now became an Emacs user.
currently as i type , training myself on emacs (ansi-term works for me) with some Clisp , want to be able config my shit myself instead of watching other youtubers tell me what to do.

so yes , /g was very productive for me.

>3dpd lain
stupid faggot

Attached: cfb194560d894c716899bbf03017e657--serial-experiments-lain-brown-hair.jpg (500x321, 13K)

>mfw iOS is just heavily modified linux
guess I'm in the clear, boyo

Attached: E907FA7A-9BF5-41D2-BF92-DEFFA4408533.jpg (200x200, 17K)

when has he ever forced it on anyone? Oh wait, never because you’re a liar. And why are “commercial” programs so special? You’re simply just a lazy person content with being fucked over by a megacorp. Have fun working for free, I hear the CEO needs another ferrari.

emacs is a waste of time.
Its a terrible and slow editor.
Vim is pretty shitty as well.
Don't waste your time learning some shitty editor, but just code instead.
It's not like having some amazing text-editing skills will make you code a lot better.

Linux is the kernel. It is used in many different operating systems. Android and GNU, as two examples. GNU is the OS, whether it uses Mach, Hurd, or Linux as its kernel.

I'd love to suck her microtits

i know , but i like it . can do anything on it .
c , perl , clisp . all works on a shell within it .

i am focused on programming and making notes on the other half , with a shell under it to execute it at once.

its pretty nice .

do you recommend any editor ??
dont tell me vscode ....

>implies that fat people are using linux
>implies that fat people are dumb
>is unable to use linux on desktop
are you fat or dumb? or both?
because, you're contradicting yourself.

Imagine actually using GNU/Linux on anything other than an old laptop. Why would you be this much of a masochist?
>shitty driver support
>shitty desktop environments, lintards will defend this by telling you to use even shittier window managers that would have been considered primitive even in 1989
>general lack of software, and god help you if you want to use a professional software suite like Autodesk or Office
But the worst aspect of Linux, to be sure, is the community. They are so entrenched in their tech hipsterism that to them, Linux is a flawless piece of work, and will twist its disadvantages into advantages with mental gymnastics rarely seen elsewhere.

To the Linuxtard, when someone has a problem with Linux, then the problem doesn't lie with Linux, it lies with the person.
>what? you don't use linux because you want to use office? uh, you do know office is proprietary and bad for you right? you should use LaTeX instead...
>what? you don't use linux because you want to play video games? uh, lol, grow up dude? *plays dressup with his computer for three hours* anyway, here are some games for you dude *shows you aisleriot*
>what? you don't use linux because you need this piece of software? here, why don't you use this shitty knockoff that only does 1% of the shit you need to do and crashes every five minutes?
>what? you don't use linux because you need shit to work out of the box? lol dude don't you want to spend two hours getting a program to launch?
>what? you don't use linux because you need some particular software? well if you need it so bad why don't you code it yourself, huh?

At the end of the day, using Linux is just a symptom of contrarianism.
>"Everyone uses Windows, so I'll use Linux".
This is then repeated when the person is actually using Linux.
>"Everyone runs Ubuntu, so I'll run Arch."
>"Everyone uses GNOME, so I'll use KDE."
>"Everyone uses a DE, so I'll use a WM."
>And then, finally, "Everyone uses Linux, so I'll use Plan 9".

Attached: 1558286521868.jpg (1000x1000, 70K)

Just use anything thats easy to use.
Dont spend any more time thinking about your editor at all.
Every second that you do, is completely wasted.
Just worry about programming. Might as well use mousepad or something as an editor. It's good enough.
What I use doesn't matter, because I am already a very competent programmer.
I have the the free brain power and time to worry more about my programming process and optimize it.

okey , i understand your point. i agree with that.

>posts a mactard

i can't love this lain

Wrong. 90% of threads here are linux vs windows, so this became the purpose of this board and you are contributing for this.

you are right except linux is a kernel not an operating system

Wow what absolute flawless logic

But that's bullshit and your faggot opinion is as insightful as Boring Anime: Lain.

>"Everyone runs Ubuntu, so I'll run Arch."
Lmao, your post is trash but this was insightful.

Ok

Attached: a16da62f6a6e20e9.png (1200x870, 1018K)

Linux torvalds is fairly t h i c c

>implying using linux means anything
it's just another OS.

Attached: ln.jpg (1000x667, 406K)

>download 60gb bluray from my dedicated server to a linux box because windows doesn't have a good sftp client
>plug sdcard+card reader into linux box
>rsync bluray to sdcard
>1 hour later (which is fast)
>rsync says some files were not copied
>take sd card out, plug into windows computer
>literally no files were copied

Attached: 1565672489722.png (722x720, 554K)

but muh openbsd

Attached: openbsd.gif (800x689, 69K)

Home is where you make it, user

it's 2019 and people on both sides of the fence STILL think that the GNU/Linux naming convention is based on technical aspect.

It's GNU/Linux because of Freedom

>Use LaTeX instead of Office
>No games on Linux
>buggy software
>doesnt work out of box
>doesnt know about emulation or layers

Have you ever even stood near someone who uses Linux? Let alone used it yourself. All of this is totally wrong. This is like a newfags guide to Linux by other newfags who newfagly newfag while newfagging on Linux

not an argument, retardo.
You're just butthurt for being too stupid to use linux on desktop.

well, you don't belong here
>Implying stallman is smart unironically

Imagine thinking technology means Linux

imagine thinking proprietary operative systems are worthy of discussion in technology

no your the retarded fats

>his desktop is a cli
Wow, are you a hackler?

>he doesnt use both

If you are Lainposting, you don't belong here.

They made the no avatar posting specifically as an excuse to ban lainposting.

>stop doing crime it's illegal

Agreed.
Windows users:
macOS users:
BSD/Plan 9/the rest:

>Technology is operating systems
Good Lord you really are dumb

i'm using linux because windows is too much complicated for me.

Windows just werks

>falls for obvious bait
>can't wait for summer to end
Like pottery

did you wander from your echo chamber?

you can circlejerk in flgt faggot

only freebsd

Attached: 66089076_400508233916040_3514472951981926806_n1.jpg (1080x1080, 79K)

>says this while using a tripcode which is also against the rules

She wrote her own correct?

only temple os it is then

If an OS is how you gatekeep, I feel bad for you.

he wrote a compiler so at very least he's smarter than you

dennis ritchie and brian kernighan are fat tho

Write a compiler and you get your point.

>Picture of a fagbook pronigger

I use Alpine Linux. Why would you even need GNU?

Niggerfaggots are niggerfags
Any person who owns apple or Microsoft products don't belong here.
"Owns", leases is a better word

if you're a nigger you don't belong here

When poetter and co. Drill your ass don't run to us crying

The only people here are free software enthusiasts, and paid shills of proprietary malware.
Maybe the occasional spambot.

You run GNU.

ur to dum

Yes, but it's rather small part of my OS compared to kernel (drivers) and systemd. Pretty sure I can switch GNU part to some other open alternative.

/Thread%

I use linux and macos personally. Windows, linux, and macos professionally. I've professionally administered both windows server and linux servers

They're all huge piles of garbage that are now getting worse over time instead of better. The *nix architecture is an outdated, overcomplicated mess for personal computing and your options are either macos - which is locked down, outdated in tooling, and neglected by Apple who is obviously just a phone company now - or your favourite linux distro - which has no stability or support. Windows is a buggy, poorly designed clusterfuck in every possible way and I absolutely believe the story that Microsoft has piled so many layers onto the codebase over the decades without retaining the knowledge of the people who built it that there are now swathes of the system that nobody at the company understands anymore

Windows 10 - which is supposedly going to be the last Windows release - is a personal data collecting botnet. Linux development has been taken over by screeching political retards who care more about codes of conduct and racial quotas in OSS than they do about keeping Intel backdoors out of your system

Everything is garbage and the only way the system stacks know how to continue on is by layering more and more structures on top that will always be kneecapped by the need to remain backwards compatible with outdated architecture and tooling that was written 30 fucking years ago

It's really time for a new clean slate networking and system architecture

I started installing gentoo a while back, but had dual boot UEFI issues. I also no longer have a machine powerful enough to even considering compiling everything from source, with -march=native and -flto.

Don't know. I don't like using Windows and I don't like the cabal behind Microsoft, but at the present time there are more pressing things to do. I use MSYS2 (which breaks constantly) though, so I'm relatively familiar with the GNU/Linux tools and environment.

Attached: 51989445_p0.png (881x750, 616K)

I use gnu/linux because I am not any proprietary software company's bitch and everything I want to do can be done in gnu/linux.

>Sent from my windows 10 partition, because I wanted to play a video game and I went online to check on a walkthrough, but then I wanted to to see what new threads there are on Jow Forums. Believe me, I use gnu/linux for the majority of my time in front of the pc. This is an exception. ok?

>I absolutely believe the story that Microsoft has piled so many layers onto the codebase over the decades without retaining the knowledge of the people who built it that there are now swathes of the system that nobody at the company understands anymore
The story goes that there was a project to refactor Windows a decade or so ago. It failed.
There have been two attempts at a clean re-write. Still no joy.
Microsoft has the same problem that Apple faced with Classic MacOS. There were so many one-off patches, kluges and add-ons (not to mention the "Hail Mary" bits and the "nobody knows why" mandatory inclusions) that are interdependent that sorting it out was impossible.
Apple solved their problem by buying a known-working OS. I don't think MS can do that. Too much ego involved.

>tfw using largely vanilla minimalist Emacs on Windows 10 Pro
feels good

*if you use windows or macos. I have nothing against bsd friends.

open sores

based

BSD or meme9 (for the superautists) are also acceptable.

>professionally
>professionally
>professionally
truly it's an honour to talk to a real professional!

I'm not using it on my desktop because no gaymes and no MS Office, so therefore its just an OS for shitposting at this hovel.

I do however use it on my HTPC and NAS, because its good in those places.

What if I'm using BSD or illumos

the attachment of the world is to windows software not microsoft. buying an OS is not an option, and neither is building a new one (unless they can support legacy software).

fpbp

gnooo!

nope, the whole operating system is GNU

I wasn't trying to puff myself up, it's just that personal and professional experience with systems can be very different. Picking an OS professionally is usually more about what will comply with industry standards and cover your ass if something goes wrong and you have to justify your decision to someone up the management ladder. For example, if you want to use *nix in the workplace you're often going to be stuck with macos rather than linux because macos has first party support for Microsoft and Adobe products that are standard across most workplaces

Linux is just /boot/vmlinuz.

I don't actually care.

It's bsd, faggot.

but I do use GNU/Linux