What is the point of bsd? Why not linux?

What is the point of bsd? Why not linux?

Attached: 1565843586503.jpg (1003x1003, 780K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/netflix/#!
lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linux got games so the autists moved to BSD cause they have no self control

it really activates my soi-yuns

Attached: 1518633762540.png (1170x836, 160K)

Use both and figure it out.

linux has gotten big enough that it's contrarian option is notable now. not sure what the next thing down the line is after BSD

There are a few philosophical questions involved in terms of software distribution, and also the whole licensing issue.
I think Linux benefits from the diversity of this richer ecosystem surrounding it, which BSDs are a part of.

BSD licensing allows companies to use it for whatever they want without giving back to the community. For example, Orbis (the OS that runs the PS4) is a "distribution" of BSD, but they aren't required to release their modifications.

BSD was based off unix and they developed it in Berkeley as a graduate student project. It was first released in 1978

Linux was first released over a decade later in 1991. The reason Linux won out over BSD is not technological, it's legal: BSD was in a lawsuit with AT&T over their use of unix code (even tough BSD was treated by the guy who helped create unix).

Linus Torvalds said that had it not been for the uncertainty about BSD he never would have created linux. And certainly if BSD didn't have legal woes, it probably would have grown faster than Linux.

Nevertheless it got past it's legal issues and is freely available now. Unix is probably a better kernel than linux so there's one advantage to BSD. Don't know how much practical sense it makes over unix

really if we're questioning pointlessness, why does GNU Hurd still exist?

Why Linux, why not systems

>Systemd
Fing spellcheck

I think after BSD you'd have to try something really obscure. Like Serenity OS or Haiku OS.

Attached: beos.jpg (409x276, 44K)

>Unix is probably a better kernel than linux
how so

A downloadable original Unix source code ( written in C ) exists? Where I can find it. I want to study it so I can get good.

Attached: 1565842640347.gif (540x457, 258K)

Unix is obsolete, and so are its affiliations

why not just use windows?

Windows is spyware.

It's more minimalist, the linux kernel is much larger with many more lines of code, which also means more room for bugs and security holes

It works and for specific bsds like openbsd there's actual people developing it unlike virtually all of linux. The free cult itself is enough to avoid using linux.

I fucking wish user.

zfs [not anymore tho]
openbsd
closer-knit ecosystem [stuff like SIGINFO]
dragonflybsd [hammer]
SIGINFO
bhyve [probably not though]
jails [probably not though]
scheduler autism? idk
freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/netflix/#! at least one netflix engineer mentioned in a usenix presentation some of these details as well, but that was 4+ years ago now so find it yourself

>Source: my very large all consuming fat ass

lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/

Probably plan 9 derivatives

have you even looked through the linux source tree

This, we can close the thread now. It's the snowflake/underground/hipster syndrome.