Is javaScript really that bad?

Is javaScript really that bad?

Attached: javascript-illustration.png (800x300, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, it is. Fuck off now

No, Jow Forums just hates languages that are used by lots of people

No, it isn't. Stay and talk.

Yes, it was made by a homophobic piece of shit.

Vanilla javascript on the client-side, no. Because it serves a purpose of pushing data to and from an API.
Anything else such as react/nodejs, yes. Both are bloated... oh and electron.
Only reason the language is used almost everywhere now, because it's easy to learn and write. Any hipster from the bay-area that was writing a novel from the Starbucks now works at Discord

What language do you recommend for web development?

It's better than Python.

who even thought it would be a good idea to write server side business logic in javascript? that shit can't even execute the code synchronically by default

>homophobic
WTF I love JavaSctipt now!

I agree electron,ionic + cordova or capacitor is a mess...Still have my doubts about nativeScript

Yes, please never touch it. Only use haskell and be sure to work only in open bsd.

destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Seriously, JavaScript is a cool little language and has gotten A LOT better since that talk was posted. Type coercion’s are still a pain in the ass, though.

Attached: rz3o1yibnc511[1].png (639x724, 211K)

>[object,object]
I hate this desu

no, it's pretty good, read pic related
I agree with this, but for cross-platform mobile applications there's probably nothing better than React Native atm... but for web applications just write that shit in raw js

Attached: serveimage-2.jpg (952x1360, 166K)

If you want to do weird type checking shit use type script.

Most useful to least useful for landing a good high-paying job:
1. Javascript
2. Java
3. Python
4. Swift
5. C#
6. Basic
7. C++
8. R
9. Fortran
10. Scala
11. Julia
12. Ada
13. Pascal
14. Clojure

1249418. Haskell

you deserve having your ass whooped for being so stupid.

Yeah a lot of those are silly but come on man....

>true == 1
>true
and
>true === 1
>false

...thats basic stuff any programmer should know

Attached: s1565453074921.jpg (1500x2136, 1.12M)

What about deno?

So an age of 5 would also alert “Teenager”. This is a perfect example of why JavaScript seems so shitty. It’s a decent language but its ease of use and low barrier to entry allows for retarded shit like this.

You forgot Go.

>runtime for JavaScript built with V8, Rust and Tokio
>build error on loonix and mac
the V8 engine is the only good thing about this

based.
just dropped c++.

Ah you're one of those people I see.

You are dumb

>user discovers dynamic typing and floating point arithmetic
Never late to learn, user!

Am I doing it wrong by learning it as my first prog language?

just use flutter

Yes. Start with Java or C#. Easy languages like JS and Python are memes, you won't learn proper programming. Then move on to C++.

React Native is shit

Flutter is comfy

Attached: 1518909878048.png (750x780, 77K)

was this megan fox before all the botched surgeries?

dart is too much like java, too closely coupled to OOP. RN allows for fully functional components & design, just don't use Redux, its shit

the min and max values are confusing. Also that one with the .length is strange.
Some things like true== and true=== seem correct to me.

The best languages are never used. The languages everyone uses are mediocre at best.

JavaScript is the exception, everyone uses it, and it's excellent.

If 90% of people are idiots at programming, then 90% of JavaScript programs are shit, hence it's terribly undeserved reputation as a shit language.

Assembly

excellent argument sir, you have convinced me

There are a lot of shitty botnet features that JS should never expose in browsers.

It's also not the prettiest language, but that's not so bad.

javascript is great. terry actually had a secret project to create the templeOS ui in JS as a DE for lignux and BSD. that train conductor ruined what would have been the greatest desktop environment mankind has ever seen.

You're going to need a source on that. But I'd absolutely make something like this if true.

unironically no.

Math.max() returns the highest value passed into it and Math.min() returns the lowest value passed into it, so calling them without arguments is not how you use them.
For the highest and lowest number you use Number.MAX_VALUE, Number.MAX_SAFE_INTEGER, Number.MIN_VALUE and Number.MIN_SAFE_INTEGER

All languages without native integer types are garbage.

Any, just not client side. Keep that digital aids from my PC.

Javascript is perfect for what it was designed for, to be a remote scripting language inside the browser, anything beyond that if fails.

Currently Node is the most popular backend web implementation and it shouldnt be when we have better options like Go and Elixir. Writing everything with callbacks/promises on an event loop is just limiting and the only reason people do it is because no one has taken the time to learn better options like Go and Elixir

where's php?

Are you from 2010? No one fucking uses callbacks anymore.

JS Is good unironically.

If you complain about a tool being bad, then it's highly likely you're misusing it.
If your average normie would try to fly a plane you'd get the same shit.
>"Bwuuuhhhhhhh it's so hard and confusing? why the fuck does flipping this switch make me eject the seat???? all it said was "EJECT" whauuuuuuuut? how was I supposed to know I had to read the docs to find out what it did? bluuuuuuuuuu bluuuuuu planes are bad!!!!!"

This is what you look like when you say stupid shit like "Durr why does X not == Y??? omggg guyzzzz", because you have no idea what's going on and you look like you're dribbling on the keyboard, the worst part is everyone else is dribbling too so you feel like you're correct. It's sad.

Languages like JS and Python are easy to learn, but extremely difficult to understand why or how they are working behind the scenes. If you want to be a programming wizard you should spend at least some time learning lower level concepts or everything will just seem like a magic black box that just works. or you may just be ok with that.

>currently stupidist thing said in this thead
you cant even use map and filter functions in Javascript without callbacks because arguments are wrapped in callbacks just to maintain backwards compatibility with ES5. You literally use callbacks EVERYWHERE in Javascript whether you want to or not

Javascript is pretty good. It's fast to write. The lack of types can be frustrating, but if I want to write a file parser, or a web server, or pretty much any script I do it in JS. If I'm actually trying to write a real web server I'll write it in Go because its statically typed.

The reason it has such a bad reputation is two fold. Firstly, the people writing javascript code often produce shit quality code as it gives people too much freedom. Go gets around this by limiting the scope of what the implementer can do to achieve a certain goal. Secondly, the mess of web frameworks, packages, etc is way too cumbersome. It being the primary tool of the web causes it to have messy tools.

Usefulness integer overflowed

Or, I should say, uselessness integer

The fact that so many people need different frontends that compile---I mean 'transpile'--- into it is a clue that it's universally disliked by the people who are forced to use it: typescript, coffee script, different emcascript levels/enhancements, flowjs, and hundreds more.

Most modern non-trivial code bases do this. It's fair to say: yes it is bad.

No, modern (2019) JS itself is actually pretty comfy.

What sucks ass is the ecosystem.

Fuck npm.
Fuck trivial dependencies.
Fuck babel.
Fuck electron.
Fuck people in enterprise still using and targeting IE.

If you're writing a simple website that could be static and without JS, and you decide to use React or Angular, fuck you.

If you're writing a JS library and you bring in a total of more than 5 dependencies, fuck you, too.

The majority of websites don't need JavaScript to function, most would be faster and work more like you'd expect without it. What ruins it is that both private persons and companies want to stay hip and modern and use the latest framework when they don't fucking need to.
Avoiding JS doesn't also mean avoiding CSS and proper layouting, you fuck.

Svelte is a step in the right direction for websites since it removes the need for a fucking run-time to simply display your page, but if you actually use it when you could go static without JS, fuck you.

The back-end sure as fuck doesn't require any JavaScript at all when taking the current ecosystem state into consideration, so if you use node for your back-end, fuck you.

So according to Jow Forums, I should try and make everything as server sided as possible, right?

Even for things as simply as a 'selectAll' checkbox?

Should I use JS compilers like haxe or amber instead?

Remember that Jow Forums hasn't made anything productive so take everything said here with a grain of salt. You need JavaScript /Typescript for anything client-side, period.

He's referring to callbacks as something used to do things asynchronously, i.e asynchronous callbacks. Asynchronous callbacks have been replaced by promises. A function that takes a reference to another function and applies it on a list of object is a synchronous callback. People don't generally mean synchronous callbacks when they say callbacks, which are the callback functions that map, filter use.

promises are just syntactic sugar for callbacks used in the context of asynchronous functions, promises change absolutely nothing,, you are still running callback functions that queue up on an event loop, you guys are clueless

You're right. I was just clarifying your misunderstanding of that poster. Running on a single thread is a really shitty limitation of Node.js.

ACTUALLY filter and map use a predicate, not a callback function.

A predicate is a boolean. A predicate function is a pure function that takes an input and outputs a boolean. Map does not use a predicate, and the qualities of being a predicate and being a callback are not mutually exclusive.

Attached: imAnIdiot.jpg (996x720, 71K)

Yeh, I figured, which is why I'm not understanding the hate boner here at all.

I was wrong, map doesn't have to, but it could :^)

>it's used for bad
>therefore it is bad

retard logic

It works for web dev stuff but keep it the fuck out of everything else.

CORE JAVA