Which is the best media center?

which is the best media center?
inb4 raspberry pi.

Attached: images (86).jpg (639x480, 20K)

I'd like to know this as well. I have a PS3 running Kodi, and it plays most streaming services and I can use Movian to play internet radio. It chugs when playing anything 720p or larger though, so I am looking to upgrade. I'd like for it to be as FOSS as I can get, without sacrificing on features. Thoughts?

>i mean it's running Movian. I wish it ran Kodi.

AM4 desk mini. 200GE if 1080p content else 2200G or better if 4K.

Attached: images (2).jpg (300x168, 7K)

I use an Nvidia Shield to play media from my Plex server. It works really well.

Nvidia shield if you want something that just works, it’s the most capable ARM box
Any desktop class PC made in the last 5-7 would also work, a quad core might be needed for difficult shit like AV1, with the desktop you have your choice of almost any software

5-7 years*

i meant good enough that its cheap and doesnt break.
nvidia shield is overkill.

You just described the nvidia shield then said it's overkill. What's cheap to you?

2200g isnt even strong enough for 720p

like 20 bucks

raspberry pi.

The fuck are you smoking?
Almost any PC worth fucking with can play 720p media
The APU has hardware decoders so it can do 4K without even touching the CPU or graphics cores

Attached: hp-compaq-8000-elite-sff-pc_12.jpg (1000x1000, 76K)

used t420

I just use a steam link and stream from my PC. It was 2 dollars from Steam with a controller.

h96 max x2

i believe user was thinking about bideo games

Attached: 1561324021457.jpg (300x450, 56K)

>consuming media in 2019

For you a raspberry pi 3 and 4 would be an upgrade.

I just shoved an old laptop with a broken screen under the TV and installed Kodi, job done.

>(((media))) center

using this thread. is there something like plex for images? or a dedicated picture nas?

He should be bapped

a Playstation Classic flashed with Linux.

Unironically AppleTV 4K

Odroid C2 with Libreelec and a Windows SMB share

Your computer.

Nvidia shield is there best option.

There's only 2 smart TV OS worth a shit and that's Roku and Android TV. Roku has less shit and can do less.

reddit.com/r/selfhosted

fuck plebbit but it's the best resource for this information

I have a raspberry with an external 1TB usb3 drive, it works.

RPi is probably the best option, most other shit has overkill hardware unless you're doing local streaming or something. I have 4k media that plays perfectly through Plex as long as it's directplay-able. You can also choose a front end that supports what you want, ie chromecast for play from a smartphone, roku if you want a remote, etc.

Odroid gang.

Pi is a thermal mess even with a heatsink.