Daily reminder that plain X programs are way cooler and less bloated than KDE and Gnome shit. FUCK GTK, and FUCK QT

Daily reminder that plain X programs are way cooler and less bloated than KDE and Gnome shit. FUCK GTK, and FUCK QT.

Attached: xv.gif (470x400, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna
tug.org/tetex/html/fontfaq/cf_86.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: ted.gif (590x470, 19K)

sure, but they look like boomer shit doe

Cooler in what way? Do they remind you of a time when programs were suppose to function correctly and efficiently or are they cooler because you enjoy the gray theme with black accents?

Attached: xpdf.jpg.jpg (500x398, 42K)

Attached: xedit.gif (433x306, 4K)

Confirmed pedo

t. never had to write with the x toolkit

reminder that this is what x applications actually look like

Attached: xcalc.png (240x424, 4K)

Athena toolkit shit just blows chunks. It looks like shit, and it's not pleasant to use.
Things that looked and felt more like Motif are pretty nice.
Motif has a few little niggles that I don't like (needing to click around so much when navigating drop down menus for starters instead of highlighting what's under the mouse), but it's otherwise fairly comfortable.

...and that's a good thing

minimalism is cancer.

POINT OF PRIVILEGE: please stop using that image in screenshot, it objectifies woman and it's exclusionary.

KYS

looks like windows
but in the victorian era, made out of wood, clay, and horse hair

sod off gay boy

women are so cute
> stop looking at me!
> you're objectifying me!
> i'll dye my hair blue and stop shaving, that'll show them
> why cant I find a good man?
> why am I 35 and single?

I like fltk too, but yes. If there's a plain x program that does the job well, I always prefer it to a bloated "modern" alternative.

what the fuck

imagine wasting 10 seconds of your life to reply to obvious bait

Till you need to run man xman to figure out how to use xman.

Attached: 1565972956955.jpg (1200x2191, 736K)

>x
>less bloated

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-16 14-40-29.png (900x747, 58K)

POINT OF PRIVILEGE: Please do not assume someones gender, they/it may identify as not female

POINT OF PRIVILEGE: you did issue a trigfer warning before talking

Attached: fuckingtriggered.jpg (630x630, 53K)

Use urxvt, then.

the problem I have with making my computer look like something from the 90s is that the immersion is ruined the moment you come online (unless you use some ancient browser like kameleon or konqueror, but then only one website in ten will work)

Don't use a web browser.

what the fuck is the point of xv in 2019 and why does it still come with slackware

both for me. looks like a research operating system.

dilate

Attached: tranny.jpg (640x732, 567K)

WHO IS THAT GIRL I KEEP SEEING HER

found the newfag

ANSWER THE Q GOD DAMMIT

>Plain X
Fucking garbage. No toolkit? No thanks. This isn't 1995.

Her name's Lena Soderberg. I know her, she goes to my school.

You do realize that Motif and GNUstep are toolkits just like GTK and GNOME, right?

X isn't equivalent to xterm, in fact you can use X without using xterm.

Yes.
But we also realize pure X applications that don't use any toolkit exist, which is what this is thread is about.

And despite this, every other X terminal emulator is worse.
How is this possible? Could it be that "bloat" is a meaningless buzzword in the real world, where people actually get things done?

sigh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna

Boomer board, zoomer.

I don't know how you could subject yourself to that NPC hell.

ew
imagine thinking katy perry is attractive

>And despite this, every other X terminal emulator is worse.
How exactly? It's been proven that xterm gets bogged by large volume of lines being printed to it to the point that it might actually impact your compilation time because when hit with large volume it displays line-by-line rather than in blocks like every *modern* terminal emulator.

Why do söyböys and SJWs have to ruin everything?

imagine being fucking gay

if im not mistaken old X applications had an X command that showed you a tree configuration of the window enabling you to send commands to a specific element of a GUI.

>gay
You'd unironically have to be gay to find her attractive.

Based

Linux will never take over simply because the community is too autistic and stuck in the past, stop recommending X shit because no one outside of autistic circles likes the way it looks.

>Linux will never take over
>implying that's bad

Normies like you should be kept out.

install gentoo

Most of its users don't care if it takes over, that's not the goal. But it's sapping away Windows and Mac users as steadily as ever.

>Most of its users don't care if it takes over,
Revisionism at its finest, there was always the goal of becoming mainstream, that goal was a self serving one because drivers.

>Revisionism at its finest
If you go all the way back to the late '90s Slashdot posts about "Year of the Linux desktop" threads and read you'll see that most people thought it'd be fine if more folks adopted the system, but that ultimately it didn't matter because it's for a more technical user anyway. Desktop environments were funded by companies as a way around this and succeeded, as did WINE, and now you're seeing it as a default choice along with Macs in Silicon Valley for pretty much every company not producing Windows-exclusive software.

Lots of big organizations are also issuing Chromebooks, which is technically a Linux offering as well.

I don't even like Linux any more but it's made serious inroads and grows every year. It's the official OS for China too now, stats don't even account for this at this time.

it's small if you just want to crop your image
while imagemagick has no interface

Did she give you bj?

saying this while being incel virgin
like pottery

Ummm sweety X is dead and there are no plain wayland applications so have fun avoiding gtk and qt.

>what is the "display" command?

>x is dead
the thing is most plain X applications haven't changed in decades so they can't "die" if they're in the various repos. What is Lennart going to do, kill xpdf somehow?

95% of Linux Software that has existed is lost forever once the repositories go down it's GONE.

Linux users have failed to preserve their history. Microsoft Windows 2000/XP can be transformed into a work station with all the right exe files and CD's saved. A version of Linux from that time or even 5-7 years ago is useless and will never be able to be put in it's prime for historical/educational purpose since all it's repositories are down.

Attached: format hardrive cuck.png (159x119, 19K)

drivers and new application support

>it's for displaying image?

>95% of Linux Software is lost forever because the repositories got shutdown, also it was never distrubuted on physical forms
>However Microsoft Windows 2000/XP is the only OS that can be saved on a CD with some .EXE and be preserved

Attached: 1565727284525.gif (560x315, 318K)

We have already had this gay thread. Nobody cares about how taxing 75MB is on your shitbox.

Attached: 1558965605440.jpg (206x244, 7K)

>Linux users have failed to preserve their history.

Git is a thing retard
>exes
fuck, it's you again. Didn't you get enough asskicking this week already?

>95% of Linux Software that has existed is lost forever once the repositories go down it's GONE.
bullshit
The Debian disc sets (as an example) provide all the software in the distribution. Most people only bother with the first disc and download everything else (stuff not installed by default) from the internet, but the rest of the repository is available on CD and DVD.

In addition, Linux binaries are far, far, far more portable between kernel versions and distros than is commonly claimed.
there's also much less reason to bother running an older distro than an older Windows version (which may be more compatible with existing software and faster than a new release of Windows), since your old software will either work out of the box or be able to be rebuilt, and the requirements to get a basic X11 desktop hasn't changed that much
You can put your lean, mean system together with a recent distro no issue instead of depending on an operating system from ten years ago.

He's a windows fag who thinks that running old linux versions is preferable to modern ones. Windows users are so fucking sad, they'd rather be stuck in the past, and people like him keep thinking that Linux is Windows 2.0.
Newsflash, it's not. Debian-base distros and most other distrobutions that run the Linux kernel actually gets BETTER with updates, not worse, because it's a sane OS that doesn't have incentive to spy on you and subjugate your freedom.

based

>actually gets BETTER with updates
[laughs in systemd]

>what is Devuan?
Debian is deprecated

The more I look at X11 drawing primitives the more I like them.
We have 200 dpi monitors now. The need for Anti-aliasing is obsolete.
Also transparency was a Meme right from the start.

Attached: xgc.png (1012x743, 19K)

>t. modern 1000mb per page JS dev
fuck of nigger

>linux
>the linux kernel
Linux IS the kernel, you stupid mongoloid.

Are you the same faggot who made the "repository slavery" idiotic bait threads?
Getting BTFO twice wasn't enough, right?

you are correct. X11 had an interface for directly interacting with window elements, similar to what Windows has. Since the x server didn't keep up with the times, eventually, graphical toolkits like gtk and qt came around and sent mostly pixmaps(bitmaps) to the x server and breaking a lot of this old functionality.

if this isn't pure bait, then consider that distros like slackware and debian have produced binaries for common software since nearly the beginning, and every major release of those distros continues to be available to this day

now if only it was all one project and not gnu/linux/x11

and it's beautiful.

no. cancer is bloat. literally.

Hmm...
>no support for scaling
>no support for accessibility
>depends on X server
no

Yes, just in the same sense Americans believe foreskins are bloat.
Excellent analogy.

Someone post the full lena

It's also becoming the official is for Russia and already is for quite some time in NK. Basically all countries that do not want to be cucked by the US.

Linux is a kernel.

Oh boy this is OG flat ui with less faggotry, i need gtk/qt variant of this, will some ricer please make this happen, please.

> gtk/qt engine that recreates Xaw
good lord we are coming full circle. How long till we just have dumb terminals that connect to the google cloud for all computation?

now click the image, a gui appears and you can use magick commands through it.

Looks good. That on a HiDPI e-ink display!

X is bloated.
Pic related Amiga can handle even with 1MB total ram and other software running in the background.

Attached: 1547678456109.png (1024x768, 601K)

Compiled Ted from source a week ago (because yes there's no binaries available anywhere) and it's completely unusable. The interface keeps crashing and it's ridden with bugs.

10y+ linux user here.
He's factually right

>no hidpi support
>no font anti-aliasing
>no workspaces
>no transparencies
>no GPU support
>no vector fonts
Yeah-yeah-yeah, I know that is all bloat but I can't even run it on IBM PC.

>>no vector fonts
gnome just killed bitmap fonts the other day.
we are just looking a method to circumvent constant fuck ups by windows programmers that joined linux.

>wayland just a protocol, every window is his own thing doesnt know shit about other windows (kid pops up; this fud thi fud)
>apps every year more bloated and slowe, example: electron
>dumb animations, that introduce latency are impossible to disable.
and the list goes on.

They are slowly killing very important aspects of the linux ecosystem.
The first one is that it was a fucking mess and now they want it more orderly.
The second one is that logos now look less retarded, eventually they will change stux and transform it into another furry.

>no hidpi support
True, but still usable on a 23" 1920x1440 CRT
>no font anti-aliasing
False, but bloat and useless on CRT
>no workspaces
False
>no transparencies
False
>no GPU support
False, basic Blitter with no GPU and actual 2D acceleration with a Zorro or PCI GPU
>no vector fonts
True

Plus what does it even matter when X runs on AmigaOS too, anyways.

>no hidpi support
True, but I run mine at 1920x1200 and it's fine.
>no font anti-aliasing
False, but fuck that anyway.
>no workspaces
False, and there you show massive ignorance.
>no transparencies
False
>no GPU support
False. Accelerated rendering with the builtin chipset, and modern 3d stack via addon GPUs.
>no vector fonts
False. (and part of AmigaOS itself since 2.0)
>Yeah-yeah-yeah, I know that is all bloat but I can't even run it on IBM PC.
Why would you want to do that? The PC sucks. x86 and descendants are bloated shit. 68000 is the better CISC architecture. And even if you chose to go down that path and emulate the Amiga (or run x86 AROS), it's still less bloated than whatever garbage you use otherwise.

Attached: 1544548643822.png (1920x1080, 1.05M)

You can act all smug and mighty all you like, you yourselves don't use AmigaOS for any real task, come on.

>You can act all smug and mighty all you like, you yourselves don't use AmigaOS for any real task, come on.
I expected this post. PCfags just can't get their minds around the idea that there's people out there using Amiga hardware.

No there aren't. Not outside of hobbyist tinkering.
This comparison is quite silly.

>and modern 3d stack via addon GPUs.
Pretty sure we are talking about Workbench, not general hardware. Workbench has 2D acceleration with 3rd party GPUs, not 3D.

>False. (and part of AmigaOS itself since 2.0)
No, that's TrueType, vector fonts didn't even exist at that time. There is PostScript support but that's not in Workbench.

Pretty sure we aren't talking about any non-Classic Workbench either, aka OS 4.

Nice goalpost moving, this wasn't the original argument. Plus yes you can use it if you want to, but I rather use bloated modern software because ease of use.
Just like nobody uses pure-X anymore, outside hobbyist tinkering.

It's ironic that while you're literally masturbating to the clock frequencies and ram/storage sizes of the PC you do your hobbyist tinkering with, we are actually doing real computing on our Amiga.
tug.org/tetex/html/fontfaq/cf_86.html

Attached: 1565585897685.png (1280x720, 704K)