Microsoft destroyed Windows and their entire reputation because they fell for the tablet meme

Microsoft really fucked up Windows starting from 8 and continuing into 10. They fell for the tablet meme and completely fucked up what werked just fine (Windows up to and including 7). They stress it's because they want one Windows across all devices. But how many people really use Surface shit? Like seriously how many Windows users use are >le Graphic Designers using Surface devices? A very small fraction of 1%, I'm guessing. Everyone else just wants a normal Windows desktop OS like that of 95, 98, 2000, XP, 7. Microsoft fucked up Windows for all those 99+% of Windows users in favor of that tiny fraction of meme users. Add how fucking horribly updates are controlled now, plus extra botnet spying on top....and yeah, I can't defend Windows any more. You brought this on yourself, Microsoft, you fucking retards.

Why couldn't they just continued to keep Windows as a normal desktop OS like it used to be, and only have the tablet shit on tablets? Like they would have the special tablet version of Windows, and everyone else would be left alone to have normal Windows. Why shove that garbage down all of our throats? Now everyone hates Windows, even normies.

Attached: 1564424072024.png (800x600, 835K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EJWWtV1w5fw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I never really understood what everyone's problem is with the metro-tablet UI. By pressing the start button I get all my programs with neat color backgrounds fitting to the icon in question.

And fuck it's not like you can't turn it off.

fuck off pedo weeb incel

Microsoft for some reason tried to predict the future
Microsoft knew that tablets where going to play a big part in displacing PCs in basic tasks but they came 7 years to early
>le botnet spying
This really amazes me
Every single OS worth using worth using whether it be Android, macOS, etc all have some type of option for telemetry, Microsoft does the same and everyone has a conniption fit as if they have never experienced such a thing before

How does one even live like this?

Do you go outside?
Do you have friends?
Do you take care of your health?
Do you have a girlfriend?
Are you in school?
Do you have a job?

This is one of the most triggering threads I've seen on here in a while. You seriously need to get your life together.

Listen... Don't try to reply with something smug or that you just like anime or whatever. Seriously... Read what I said again and consider changing your life. It's pathetic and you're not happy. It'll only come back to haunt you later in life.

God... What a sad thread.

Or do this because you're probably so far gone now that it doesn't matter at this point.

Opening the start menu on 7 or 10 is just a sub-action. Opening it on 8 was a total context switch.

Context switches destroy your thought process. 8 was actively working against your productivity.

You know what else is dead? KyoAni. So wipe that shit from your desktop uwu

www.reddit.com

>Do you go outside?
No
>Do you have friends?
No
>Do you take care of your health?
Enough.
>Do you have a girlfriend?
Never.
>Are you in school?
Completed M.S. degree.
>Do you have a job?
Yes.

Attached: 1538084144242.jpg (400x400, 34K)

When is that screenshot from? It's so comfy.

Not even going to bump or (You).
No idea what OP is even about, everything is fully customisable, you can make 8/10 look, act and feel exactly like Vista/7 for example, without 3rd party programs.

I swear, the level of tech illiteracy on a tech board is amazing.

(You)
>you can make 8/10 look, act and feel exactly like Vista/7 for example, without 3rd party programs.

Attached: windows-10-menus_.jpg (800x450, 77K)

The last version of Windows with consistent design was 2000. XP had inconsistencies but made them work. Everything after is hot pajeet poo.

Windows reputation is destroyed? Where do you think everyone is going to move to? Fucking Linux? LOL

I'm on 7 running classic mode and the only thing that bothers me are the white tray icons. I really need to figure out where those icons are so I can change them.

>classic mode
Do you hate hardware acceleration or something?

found it on Jow Forums

not that guy, but i have one particular reason, which is that on win7 aero i keep getting switched out of my game for windows to tell me video memory is low and would I like to enable windows classic to improve performance? every damn time i use more than 3gb of vram, and i have 8. so i just stuck to using classic all day.

>Microsoft for some reason tried to predict the future
>Microsoft knew that tablets where going to play a big part in displacing PCs in basic tasks but they came 7 years to early
they were qrong though
tablets were a fad, a meme

I like my windows tablet.

Somebody had to say it and you're right. Ironically Windows 8 was designed by a woman and they have stuck with her decisions more or less ever since.

A single UI for computers, phones, and tablets is a poor choice, what you need is a framework which can adapt the UI of an application for any target platform so the developer doesn't have to care. But this means, in the most elegant sense, maintaining a framework which is device aware and handles all the differences in UI between the three types of devices seamlessly, so the developer doesn't have to program three types of 'apps' to keep things working across platform types.

Ideally every function and UI element could be presented no matter which platform an application was run on, but in a more device and screen area friendly format than you could achieve in a single 'universal' UI.

This is a difficult problem especially if you're like Apple or Google and you're trying to cram new shit in and have high churn, you need a stable base from which to branch off and maintain interop. Big companies can't do it and keep everybody employed, this is a job for a small team of highly intelligent white and perhaps asian people and not a network of tens of thousands of 'coders.'

What's being accelerated? I've turned off aero for a number of people and it's made their "slow computers" actually usable.

Graphics. I turned it off on a netbook and it made the damn thing unusable. Specifically it's the desktop compositor, not Aero, that uses HW acceleration.

I never really felt like it made that much of a difference on my pc.

Win 10 literally has an adaptable UI that works down to 7" screens

Shut up you fanny

>Why couldn't they just continued to keep Windows as a normal desktop OS like it used to be,

Because what are you bitches going to do about it? We have the only modern OS design that isn't total garbage for PCs, and you can either be fucked by Apple or keep lying to yourself that Linux isn't shit.

Sincerely,
Microsoft

P.S.
We turned on forced updates because we were tired of autists blaming their shit riddled PCs on us.

Do you hate not being retarded or something?

Nu-Jow Forums is pigdog disgusting. All the faggots and shills in here sticking up for windows 10. Unbelievable. Nearly everything OP said is right. The only people who are OK with win10 are zoomers who grew up with deadbeat cucked up parents that gave them cell phones and tablets at an early age. The kids who grew up screaming and crying to play minecraft. Absolutely pathetic and inexcusable. Win10 is a horror show to anyone who grew up using actual operating systems that weren't pushing the cloud / saas for everything. It is by far the worst windows release in terms of performance, usability, UI coherence, and privacy. It outclasses every other version of windows, and every other OS on the planet in the sheer volume of pajeet diarrhea it contains. It is a broken OS OOTB, and the biggest time sink I have ever encountered. The defaults are also fucking insanely disrespectful to anyone who gives the slightest shit about what runs in the background on their machines. Win10 niggers are the cancer of this board, and need to be eliminated as swiftly as possible. Posting anything in favor of win10 should be a bannable offense. You people are mentally ill, retarded, and absolute faggots. Kill yourselves.

>program folder is missing
>control panel is missing
>run command is missing
>basic software like paint is missing
>file browser missing

No, you don't access all of your programs, only the recent ones. Every useful desktop feature that existed on Win 7 and earlier is hidden from the user by default or removed completely. You had to do a bunch registry hacks to turn on the older features and turn off the annoying new features and creating a bunch of shortcuts to access the missing menu items.

But it's gay. That's the problem. It's adaptable but not ideal.

The new UI sucks even for non-desktop devices. There's no way to intuitively access your storage devices and files, change system settings, and run software that you had installed. Mobile OS like Android at least has an simple way of doing all of those things and didn't hide basic, essential features from the user.

Do you hate giving an argument or something?

yeah, if you have a decent gpu, and i mean like a dx9 one that can play gta 3 at 60 fps, it's supposed to draw windows faster and with a better frame rate without using so much cpu just for moving windows around. look at how your cpu spikes as you wave a window around with aero off, even moreso if you have a high refresh rate monitor! the benefits of aero/desktop compositing are pretty much vsync for everything, live previews of app windows, win+tab and other little things.

the problem is the systems with shitty cpus where aero would be noticeably faster would also have integrated graphics, and possibly single channel memory with like 16 or 64 mb reserved for vram. So trying to run aero it just thrashes that one stick of ddr2 constantly and everything else in the system has to wait for it. Maybe microsoft assumed manufacturers would start putting a bare minimum of gpu, or at least memory, when vista came out but they were miserably mistaken.

I have Windows 7 Starter (therefore no Aero) on my netbook with 1 GB RAM. Turning off desktop compositing slows it down considerably. Turning it back on restored a good deal of performance.

Sounds about right. Some of those atoms have decent enough igpus.

>program folder is missing
Scroll down.
>control panel is missing
Can be added, but I'll give you that it isn't on there by default.
>run command is missing
The search bar doubles as a pseudo-run, and if you want the traditional run back you can add it to the start screen.
>basic software like paint is missing
Paint is still there and can be added to the start screen if you want it to.
>file browser missing
There is literally a folder icon titled "File Explorer".
>No, you don't access all of your programs, only the recent ones.
Again, you can add whatever you want. This is called customization. Customization = good.
>. Every useful desktop feature that existed on Win 7 and earlier is hidden from the user by default or removed completely.
Again, I'll meet you half way and say okay, some of it is, but there is nothing stopping you from adding literally every program or shortcut you want to a display that's 10 times bigger than your traditional start menu.

it's funny because literally just changing the wallpaper from anime to some nature background or some shit would make it just fine for you

Tablets are dying bro

Nice Boat

Attached: Screenshot_2130.png (708x998, 648K)

because millenials & zoomers are morons who don't understand techology or computers unless there's big, shiny idiocracy buttons, happy colors & social media integration

No they ruined Windows by putting form before function, starting with Vista.

You can still get hardware acceleration with Aero turned off. Depends on the driver.

>The search bar doubles as a pseudo-run

Every program I wanted to run doesn't show up in search.

>Paint is still there and can be added to the start screen if you want it to.

Like I said, it's hidden. Paint3D is used to open image files by default.

>There is literally a folder icon titled "File Explorer".

Not on my machine.

>Again, you can add whatever you want.

Again, it it's cumbersome. You wouldn't know what to do without doing research on the internet. The tweaking is cumbersome that you have to download 3rd party programs to do it.

linux is a kernel

>dark theme is fire
>hyper-v is fire
>wsl is fire
>explorer.exe most stable and polished from all versions so far

just install shutup10 you absolute faggot normie newbie user

Attached: 1564934819157.jpg (100x125, 2K)

>>hyper-v is fire

I still don't know how to use windows 8 and up. Everytime I have to use a computer with windows 8/10 I have to press WIN+R to open the run dialog and either enter CMD to go to command prompt or a folder name to open windows explorer so I can navigate through there

Not really. Yes, android tablets are dead, iPad sales slow down but Windows tablets are slowly growing. More importantly, traditonal PCs are dying so they have do something.

>Reddit spacing
>Being so much of a brainlet that opening a menu throws you off task

yes, this is what happened when they fired the head of windows development and replaced him with two chicks from marketing.

Tbh. I don't even hate 8's start menu, it's 10 that is crap.

kill yourself faggot normie cuck

you fucking autist. Index your files, so it shows up then.

>paint isn't there as default
Literally just typing its name makes it show up and you can immediately add it as default. "how dare they not make my personal preference the default, when I can change it with 4 clicks".

>you have to do research
No, you just don't have to be a fucking idiot. Index your fucking files. You're on a techology board for christ's sake. It takes at most three minutes to do, and you have the attention span of a small toddler if you think that is cumbersome. You decided that a thing is bad, and instead of trying to make it better, you just dig down so that you can complain more. It's by no means perfect, but maybe you should learn to put some effort in instead and you'd actually be worth something in this discussion.

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 304K)

>The last version of Windows with consistent design was 2000
>win2k
>consistency
OH NO NO NO NO noo~~
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA
LOOK AT THE FONTS IN THE TABS
AHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAA
LOOK AT THE BUTTONS

Attached: untitled.png (1920x1080, 123K)

taken from that screenshot
see?
win95 remains in win2k
windows was never 100% consistent

Attached: untitled2.png (247x236, 3K)

Wubuntu 10 looks fine to me.

Attached: Annotation 2019-08-17 090337.png (1920x1080, 1.74M)

I don't see paint there

never mind

Fuck you OP. Surface is the best tablet out there, and there's no going back. Most mid and high range laptops have touch screens too.

99+% of people are not interested in tablets
We just want a normal desktop OS that just werks, that you don't have to struggle against on a daily basis

what's the difference between fucking around in the registry and having to hunt down conf files on linux?

People were realizing 20 years ago that the web was going to revolutionize computing and destroy the "home PC". The relevance of a desktop OS has continued to diminish into a thinner and thinner layer between more and more commodified and portable computing hardware and a web browser. The writing has been on the wall for more than two decades, hence MS have tried to corner the web at every stage, hence silverlight vs flash, office 365 vs google apps, activex vs java applets, .NET vs java, MSN portal, MSN browser, MSN messenger vs AOL. Eventually the internet will become more stable for everyone rather than only for the affluent, and the platform will be more robust, and we'll be back and mainframe style computing with centralized control by a handful of organizations, and few people will run "desktop" software.
In light of this, MS have actually be fairly smart trying to prevent their own death.

they're building a zoomer market, it will pay off in the end

>hire pajeet developers
>receive pajeet developer results

Zero sympathy for Microsoft. Next time hire American, faggots.

Attached: 737 PAJEET FLY BY WIRE.jpg (768x480, 62K)

>95, 98, 2000, XP, 7
you forgot vista

And ME

Tablets are comfy. Windows is just shit

windows is comfy. tablets are just shit

Who got your jimmies rustled?

>Microsoft destroyed Windows and their entire reputation because they fell for the tablet meme
So did Gnome devs with Gnome3. It's fucking hilarious if you step back and think about it. Nearly a decade after tablets failed to take over, Gnome devs are still trying to convince themselves that they didn't screw up

Le TaBlEtS aRe Le FuTuRe

Yikes

Attached: 84FC6114-F1CA-4165-A6E0-832BCFC7F2F7.png (1668x2224, 2.1M)

The two design things they messed up was forced full screen metro on desktops and the full screen metro start menu being horizontal scrolling instead of vertical. I liked windows 8.1 tablet and phone and the flat interface on everything. Only in light or colorful themed, I don't like blacked.

Tablets are comfy and Windows is comfy. Your opinions are just wrong, I know this because it's contrary to mine.

This. 8.1 was comfy and modern Windows tablets are basically more powerful netbooks anyway

True.
And GNOME is doing this as well to GNU/Linux on the desktop.

child

The most amazing thing is that, at this point, it's clear that tablets failed and were just a bad meme from the start (just like many people already recognized).
Their popularity is steadily declining, and even among normalfaggots they are a lot less popular now, especially Android ones.
Yet they are still tormenting actual desktop PC usage even from their grave.
Say what you want, but the Xerox-like WIMP interface and derivatives are still the best we've ever had for desktop usage after all these years, where the two main input peripherals are a mouse and a keyboard.
All alternative solutions proposed so far, i.e. Metro, Gnome 3, tiling wms, etc. are overall inferior.
I've tried them all during the years, but I keep coming back to more "traditional" DEs and stacking WMs.
Most likely something better *is* possible, but we have yet to see it.

>reddit spacing
Yikes

Saved.

The one other fatal design mistake they made with Windows 8 is not keeping the Aero UI design from Vista and 7. Minimalism is cancer and is the main reason why Windows 7 was the greatest version of Windows, by virtue of being the newest (prior to minimalism becoming mainstream), the most stable, and most importantly, the best looking. Vista is a close second, its reputation was tarnished solely from clueless normalfags who think running a modern OS on decade-old hardware won't provide sluggish performance and instability.

Attached: vista-640x353.jpg (640x353, 39K)

>as if they have never experienced such a thing before
Because the OS used to be something for the user to operate and control their computer. Now the OS is a way to control and spy on the user while they're using a computer. The OS used to be the product and the tool, now you're the product and the tool. It used to be your computer, but now it's as if you belong to them just by using their operating system. Yes, I'm going to have a conniption fit about it and more. Because it's unconscionable.

>Minimalism is cancer
I sorta agree, but the worst kind of minimalism is pseudominimalism: software that *looks* minimalist, but actually isn't at all, and consumes way more resources than it has to due to horrible design and self-inflicted workarounds in order to keep up its "minimal" appearance over an uglier, but probably more practical interface, which is however frowned upon because it doesn't look "young", hip & trendy.
Don't make the mistake of thinking Microsoft is the only party guilty of this, though. The free software world is full of this shit as well.

What an extremely strange response considering what is written in the OP. I went back just to read OP again, and your response really is strange. Did you ask those questions from yourself and did you take your own advice?

lmao i thought the same thing
he's a complete bugman

OP here
Maybe he was referring to the image? It's not even my desktop desu, it was someone else's here on Jow Forums that I saved. But it's relevant to the topic. Look how comfy the desktop is, imagine how comfy the user is whose desktop this was must have been with his setup. He's got everythign set up the way he likes, and it just werks. The OS werks for him, it lets him do what he wants to do. Now the Windows 10 user has to wrestle with the OS regularly just to keep things temporarily the way he wants it for a little while longer. All the fucking horrible settings have to be rechecked and re-done at least twice a year. With every major update they fuckign change everything back to the way they want it, with all the horrible botnet defaults and they change all the program defaults too and you have to fight the OS to get back to how you want it, and they keep forcing their crap down your throat.

how stable is the beta now? I want to install it on mine

Because Microsoft sucks at computers and they're only good at copying others. It's been like this since the 80s and 90s when they were copying Apple all the time.

At the end they don't care if they fuck up though, because they're still making money through legacy compatibility and Office.

Tablets are a fucking meme, a niche at best.
Nobody actually wants to use touchscreens, they do so because it's too cumbersome to carry a keyboard and a mouse with you.

>they're only good at copying others
No, they fail at that either. When they see something they copy it without understanding how it ticks.

>It's been like this since the 80s and 90s when they were copying Apple all the time
t. iShill

Not an Applefag in the slightest, but this just sums it up beautifully and it's still as relevant as it was 27 years ago
youtube.com/watch?v=EJWWtV1w5fw

I think they kinda managed until W7 (although it had its flaws), but then they just went into full tilt when they tried to innovate on a whim, but failed miserably.

The bottom line is that the people who call the shots only care about MSFT stock price, anything else is secondary.

It's true. I wonder how many zoomers like you even know basic PC history.
Not that Apple didn't copy others too, they sure did.

Guys I seem to be having problems with the windows 10 update v1903. The battery is plugged in but not charging. Tried all the fixes listed online but it ain't working. Last month there were audio issues. I've had enough of Microsoft's bullshit. Thinking of going back to the previous build and installing Ubuntu after that

>It's true
Yeah sure

good thing you can revert colors back to win95 in win2000
unlike win10

I JUST DON'T LIKE FLAT TASKBAR DESIGN GOD DAMN IT

Win2k best windows; yes. However: Even then there were slight hints of the problems to come. Have a look at the add/remove programs dialog. It's made with an early version of the XP-style 'web ui' - the window is actually some kind of HTML inside an IE container..

>he doesn't remember the tablet boom when the iPad came into existence
>he doesn't remember back when everyone wanted/had a tablet for a wide variety of stupid reasons
Microsoft did the right thing by bringing tablet interactions to Windows. It kept them relevant and if you can't realize that you're stupid. The real problem was Windows 8's UI/UX.

>one Windows across all devices

They realized they can have one entire Microsoft across all devices.

Even on devices without Windows.

Attached: Office-365.png (779x439, 193K)

What are you talking about? The fonts are different, not the colors.

Going to a tablet UI and releasing surface tablets is one of the only reasons they're still in the consumer market today.

Attached: tumblr_pfovv5XiKL1vctb7m_540.jpg (347x347, 34K)