/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 477d3e9658f44935125ba6ce15b5af88.png (725x750, 303K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/google/nixery/blob/master/README.md
wiki.termux.com/wiki/Termux-sms-send
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/EFI_examples
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/EFI_examples#MSI
peterlevi.com/variety/how-to-install/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PDF,_PS_and_DjVu#Comparison
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>refind installs correctly
>no arch in refind
>grub installs correctly
>no entry in grub
what the fugg is going on? my fstab is all good. I made an efi partition outside the lvm for /boot

Attached: 1565247652788.png (123x128, 19K)

for grub at least, do you have os-prober? It might also have to be mounted for it to detect it properly.
>lvm
welp, good luck

for me it's podman

Attached: nice_site_dude.png (1646x556, 91K)

>os-prober
no I haven't, I'll try that thanks. I did mount /boot before running either of the installs

I seriously want to master tex. Fuck don't have time to abandon my OpenGL project.

Has anyone here gone either full or partly free software, e.g. 100% free software on a work laptop. What's the experience, how annoying is it? Or was it easlier / more hassle free than expected? Just curious, also getting more and more fed up with the 'big' players.

hehe faglet thread

12 years here, don't even notice really

How do I make XFCE /comfy/?

Continuing a discussion regarding running Fedora on a NAS.
>Fedora isn't really that suitable for something like your use case I don't think, just because it becomes unsupported so quickly

That doesn't really matter since I won't be updating anything anyway after the intial setup and if anything, I figure the software available in Fedora is what I would have ended up updating to in Debian stable a year or two later anyway if you get my train of thought and besides, is Fedora really _that_ bleeding edge? Isn't it supposed to be rather stable as long as you don't run the beta (which would be the equivalent of testing/Sid) ?

It does run headless but I like to have a desktop on it anyway so that I can VNC into it and play around a bit rather than using a VM and if everything goes to hell it's sitting in my living room so I have physical access to it and can just hook it up and fix any mistakes/re-install since it's not that crucial of an operation. Thanks for your input.

Not the dude you're responding to but I use CentOS minimal for my NAS

changed /boot to /efi and reinstalled grub. now it boots but the lvm isn't found for FUCK SAKE that's enough of arch

How about just setting up the work laptop so it lets you do the job it is meant for?
You can still have the liberated chinkpad on the side. Just thinking pragmatically here, personally wouldn't use a work machine for my hobbies.

Google is on the nix bandwagon
>github.com/google/nixery/blob/master/README.md
We goin places nix bros

install Jow Forumsuix

As much as i despise google AND THEIR FUCKING CAPTCHa, this is pretty cewl

>xfce ruined forever by the switch to gtk3
>awesomewm has tearing i don't get with other wms
should i just switch to templeos

Attached: .png (640x480, 392K)

as a corporation they suck, and their mainstream services are quite horrible.
But with that said they do employ some genius level engineers (even if they are the minority there). Their small projects are always a gem in the rough

Sure, that's why i think it's pretty good news overall. + They have money

ples make gtk front end for mumble
thx

>xfce gtk3
the only back thing about that is that menus and lists are truncated sometimes

genius level engineers are not that scarce. For instance, GNU has some genius level engineers too.

I would user if I were not so busy. Maybe next year.

jeez, can someone who has xfce 14.4 confirm whether new xfce supports gtk2 themes or not?

>try out Freedombone in my KVM/QEMU VM setup
>VM won't boot from .img file
>try same thing with FreedomBox
>same issue
What the fuck is going on? This is the first time I've experienced a distribution that won't boot in a VM.
FreedomBox has a QEMU disk image, but I still want to know what the issue is. Also, Freedombone has a website that looks like ass, even though it's even less usable than the piece of shit that is FreedomBox's website.

Budgie is the only non-shit desktop environment, everything else is still years behind the polished Windows 7 gui experience.

3/10

Reposting from previous thread because I couldn't figure it out:

When I do
su - someusername
echo $PATH
on a clean Debian 10 install, the output is just "/usr/bin". Why? What clears the PATH? Isn't it supposed to be set to /etc/login.defs defaults? Or something a bit more sensible?

I've tried setting PATH in /etc/environment, /etc/profile, and /etc/profile.d/my-custom-path.sh. None persist after su - someusername.
Does this happen to you too? Especially if you're on Debian Stable?

Pls help.

P.S.: Not looking for su -p someusername, as that keeps all sorts of env variables that I don't need. For example ~ still points to the previous user.

Attached: HvWYz5Y.jpg (640x718, 29K)

An answer to 90% of problems: use declarative package managers that can install multiple versions of a program simultaneously, with their dependencies separated.

An answer to 90% of problems: have sex

from the first section su manual
The current environment is passed to the new shell. The value of $PATH is reset to /bin:/usr/bin for normal users, or /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin for the superuser. This may be changed with the ENV_PATH and ENV_SUPATH definitions in /etc/login.defs.
did you setup ENV_PATH correctly in /etc/login.defs. That should work

and for the remaining 10%: transition

Did anyone here migrate to 17.1? Anyone here staying on 13 or 17.
Some discussion on the forums says that this is to accomodate systemd. How many are even using that? Why the fuck why?

the third link at the end of the news item explains what the new profile does and why

Is NetworkManager actually worth using or should I just use wpa-supplicant

Attached: network-large.png (600x362, 64K)

kde connect is so fucking based holy shit

does it only work with kde?

i havent tried it outside kde

yeah, nobody is talking about it.

NM is much easier.

I remember using it with i3
I think it works with any Xorg based environement

/etc/bash.bashrc is not sourced for aliases when I use sudo. How can I set system-wide aliases that also apply to root?

alias sudo='sudo '

Termux is pretty awesome. Using termux-url-opener, I was able to create a Jow Forums image downloader script that runs when I share a thread url from Clover to Termux.

Does anyone else use it? I want to know if I root my phone if I can use the SMS sending and reading utilities.

Attached: 8104776.png (460x460, 12K)

You can do this already using termux-api.

perhaps, for people whose thinking activity occurs in genitals

Cheers, m8

have sex

This is the message I get when I try. Looking at the documentation it seems to confirm this:
wiki.termux.com/wiki/Termux-sms-send

It's a big disappointment, will it work if I'm rooted?

Attached: Screenshot_20190817-092030_Termux.jpg (1080x194, 62K)

I'm copying a large (64GB) file from my SSD (ext4 partition) to an external 5400RPM HDD (UDF partition) which has sequential write speed of 73 MB/s. The weird thing is that the first 30 or so GB of the file get copied at around that speed, but after that the speed slows down to around 0.3M/s.
Anyone know why this is, and what to do tho fix it (make the copying take less than an eternity?)

i give up. memtest came back clean and i can't find anything in the logs. either manjaro just freezes or suddenly reboots. and the 3.40 asrock bios didn't help. i'm guessing either my 1600 is faulty or amdgpu is FUCKING HORSE SHIT. so i'm stuck on windows since it just works. sad times.

Is there an alternative to Office Publisher that lets me find and replace words though the terminal and export the resulting document as a pdf?

I have an old hdd and a brand new one, according to hdparm the new one can read uncached stuff from the disk a bit more than 3 times as fast as the old one. How terrible idea is it combine both in an lvm partition? Would the read speed of the resulting logical volume be hardcapped by the speed of the slower hdd? Would it help a lot to create a cache volume on the faster drive?

What are the differences between ext4 and XFS?
Which one should I use?

>install Mint a few days ago
>wanted to start over so I reinstalled it
>now laptop tells me "no bootable drive" found

Attached: IMG_3678.jpg (332x358, 19K)

what is free vs available?

Attached: 1543171374147.png (1680x1008, 12K)

use arc

for wpa-sup is much easier to deal with

Fuck you Google

It's explained in the free manpage.

Have you installed it in EFI mode? Some motherboards have buggy UEFI implementation and they remove grub sometimes, (totally not on purpose of course).
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/EFI_examples
For example my motherboard wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/EFI_examples#MSI

Can someone help a retard get the Bing wallpaper automatically updated every day on Xfce (Xubuntu)?

Attached: screenshot_1262_Dspl8C2.png (1920x1200, 3.38M)

>leeching off Nix repositories with Guix
I'm tha baddest fucker in town

Attached: the Kung.png (368x373, 240K)

no thanks

Attached: 1029384756.png (232x284, 131K)

I don't fucking get it
my Xfce install idles at 600 MB while KDE doesn't go over 550
both on the exact same computer running Arch

you can use variety for that
peterlevi.com/variety/how-to-install/

Good thing i have no problems.

I need to fill out some PDF forms. Whats a lightweight pdf viewer that supports forms? Mupdf and Firefox don't support them, and I don't want to submit myself to Chrome's botnet.

cute penguins

Attached: 1565870321375.jpg (1160x1360, 166K)

Fate/GNU Order

Okular. If you need the ability to place a handwriting signature on a PDF, check out PDF Studio (Java) or Master PDF Editor (Qt). They're proprietary but no cloudshit botnet.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PDF,_PS_and_DjVu#Comparison

Is ddrescue the right tool to make an *img of my current installation?

No, just dd. For bonus points send it over the network and compress it.

dd if=/dev/yourrootpartition | gzip | ssh [email protected] dd of=/path/to/backup.img.gz

How to restore?
Just dd the img to the block device?

gunzip first but yes

based, also try slackbuilds and the aur

And why tools like ddrescue exist?

Not him but they use a different algorithm, ddrescue is more of a forensic tool

ddrescue is for pulling data off of failing drives or mangled partition tables. If your data is still intact, dd is fine.

How do I use Dolphin as my file prompt in Firefox?

Like this?
dd if=/dev/sda | gzip | of=/dest/img.gz?
I've never done this before, and I'm new to gzip.

oh google introduced this restriction on play store apps a while ago to combat sms bulk spam applications. try the f-droid version.
personally i only use termux to ssh into my servers and use tasker for all my phone automation.

There's a python tool out there for generating epubs from web fiction sites. I use that on my phone with Termux.

What is the most polished distro in term of general user experience
I've found fedora to be a cut above the rest

are you dualbooting? if not, consider using efistub.
quick and painless, requires no meme bootloaders to fuck with

launch firefox with GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox

oh, and also you need to install xdg-desktop-portal-kde or equivalent for your distro

Pop!_OS.

based kdialog

Attached: file.png (1404x851, 401K)

AMDGPU works fine but I think support for APUs didn't land in the kernel for a while after they added Vega support. I'd try a 5.x kernel, manjaro has a thing for that.

On computers with 8+GB of ram, is a swap partition or file even needed and why?

I still keep a small swap partition just in case on my 16GB (tfw fell for the meme) setup. But if you use hibernate you need swap greater than or equal to your RAM. I don't use hibernate so my swap is like 4GB or something, I don't think it ever gets used really.

Apreciated user.

Where would I learn to use parted, fdisk, gdisk, cgdisk, cfdisk and any other future Linux tools while trying to install arch?

the manpage

$ ls *.web
'a a.web' 'b b.web'

for file in *.web; do echo ffmpeg -i "$file" "$file.mp3"; done | parallel
a: No such file or directory
b: No such file or directory

help, how can I use parallel with filenames with spaces?

If I try to download large files from Mega using Firefox, it'll use all of my RAM and I will be unable to do anything without a reboot. I assume swap could help here, but I still haven't bothered to make any.