Previous thread:

>Read

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Attached: 1463594_238209409679937_1707041116_n.jpg (500x669, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00NTR1K32/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_1sQvDb17H7M5D
github.com/Jow
truefla.me/free-stuff/used-thinkpad-buyers-guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So I took a Python (3) course where the book we were using gave examples using eval(), but it wasn't until the end of the course that my professor told me that using eval() is bad and should be avoided despite it's use in many of the examples provided in the book.

If eval() is to be avoided at all costs, what should be used instead?

Thanks in advance.

Is there any reason I should not use a Windows Server install as a desktop operating system?
My desktop is now almost 10 years old and I would like to upgrade, but new processors do not support Windows 7 and I don't want Windows 10 because of all the reasons you already know.
I've seen a couple of blogs about how to tweak Windows Server to make it more like a desktop OS and it seems to work well.
My questions about Windows Server are:
- can I turn auto updates off? Not "deferred", not "ask me in an hour", OFF.
- can I 100% disable telemetry?
- is most regular desktop software fine on Windows Server? No missing WinAPI stuff?

Attached: 1512857684107.jpg (2448x3264, 2.02M)

For someone that knows nothing about computers or technology, should I study to get my A+ cert? Is it worth it or should I learn through some other means?

Why does it say I'm running out of storage space when the SD card is full, even though it's set to shared storage? How do I save things to the internal storage?

Attached: Screenshot_20190817-001454_Settings.png (1080x1920, 74K)

Do things like Winrar/7zip scale or run better with more cores?
For example, if I do a lot of zipping/unzipping, would it be worth upgrading from Ryzen 5 1400 to a 2600, assuming the right price and it isn't the only reason to be upgrading?

7zip will use all the threads you give it.
The real answer is depends in the method you use, not exactly the program.

Asking again

What kind of question is that
You already got an answer
Are you a shill?

Hating on Apple is not really an answer, and that user completely misunderstood the question

Because in schools you are told its the best and some schools force you to use MacOS.

Just like dentist schools recommend Colgate when hydropaxite toothpaste exists and is way better, another example are veterinarian schools where they brainwash you to believe pedigree is the best stuff around.

Does anyone else never get order updates from Amazon anymore?

I guess programmers just use it because it has better terminal support than Windows but they're too busy being wagies to install a good Unix system

I get really autistic about my hard drive space being low, I have about 600 GB free on a 2TB hard drive where 600GB is anime and 380GB is games. What should I do?

how the fuck is 600GB low

So I got new drives for my NAS, 8 drives of 8TB, I made a single volume in raid6 with 2 parity drives. I expected to get ~43TB of usable storage, but I got 41.8TB.

Did I fuck it up?

pls b gentle frens im a brainlet

WHAT IS TIM IN THE Jow Forums json? TIME is the time, what is TIM? And why is TIM used for images?

How do I calculate TIM?

WHAT HAPPENS IF TWO PEOPLE POST AT THE SAME TIM? Do their files swap?

Is there a language that has a native REPL like julia, but also has a C like syntax?

should I use docker images to run my app on a web server or can I just run the programs there like I did when developing them? (i.e. "npm" start and it'll run on a command prompt).

Trying to make sense of how hosting actually works is pretty fun but it feels like theres 100 different ways to do it

Attached: 1564689084323.png (720x960, 1.13M)

So I want to play my PS2 on a monitor (the room doesn't have anything to support a larger CRT) and was thinking this could be a good buy: amazon.com/dp/B00NTR1K32/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_1sQvDb17H7M5D

Would a simple component to D-sub adapter do the trick or am I overlooking something?

Attached: 1542914329911.jpg (679x661, 30K)

I started my PC today and "Microsoft Team" was installed. I checked the installation log and there was "Microsoft Team installer" yesterday. How did it get on my PC? I haven't downloaded windows updates for year, and I definitely did not choose to install it

Attached: 1559137853608.jpg (2000x2641, 1.56M)

Cleaner would be not installing NPM on your webserver and just proxying to a docker container.
Docker is great if you want to run several different applications using different technologies without having to pollute your system with tons of dependencies/runtimes.

github.com/Jow Forums/4chan-API#posts-object

I get random game crashes and blue screens whenever I play something moderately demanding on my computer. I've updated all drivers so it doesn't look like a driver issue. Blue screens usually point to svchost.exe so they're totally useless. I even reinstalled Windows and it still happens. My last resort is to get new RAM even though memtest and the Windows diagnostic don't show any bad RAM sectors.

Do you have more ideas for me?

Thank you!

It won't work, Windows Server doesn't have Direct X

Is HDMI over Ethernet a meme or does it actually work

can some smartass here tell me how to convert an image into base64 on arduino. I know there are libraries for it but I have no idea and not enough ram apparently on my ESP32

Attached: rpi.jpg (246x138, 13K)

Works great, it's just practically nothing supports it.

>Thinking about revamping my n00b little server (currently in an open cardboard box on the floor)
>Check Newegg for cases
>ATX consumer case with three 3.5" bays (and one 5.25" bay that doesn't actually fit a drive): $40
>μATX server case with four 3.5" bays and one 5.25" bay: $80
Am I missing something here? Why is the server case literally double the price (including shipping)?

Mass produced interior vs custom designed one to fit all components.

What does this new pre-fetch images button on 4chanX do?

New? That option exists for multiple years already.
When you open a thread it'll start downloading the full sized images in the background, so by the time you click on one it has already loaded.

That really depends on why you're using eval in the first place. He is right though, using eval should really be avoided if it can be helped.

Is there a difference between a Mini Displayport to HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI for Macbook Pros? Or are they the same in this case?

No-one has been able to answer this question.

I have noticed that videos that I have watched now they are unwatched in YouTube. Does the watch history clear itself when it's full or why does this happen?

Any Vue.js users here?

I am making a responsive navbar that switches over to a dropdown when the screen size changes. I have two files, the regular navbar and the dropdown version so it would make sense to use a v-if/v-else. But how do I tie that with media queries?

>can I turn auto updates off?
Sure. You can do that in any version of 10, just set metered.

>can I 100% disable telemetry?
No, no verson of 10 is designed to reliably do that. But then neither was windows 7. There was still a small amount even before the updates that backported shit from 10. You can greatly reduce it though by using the correct settings in any enterprise edition.

What are good mouse pads? gamer ricer or not

Attached: 1299043868069.jpg (288x306, 10K)

If you're not planning on using the adapter on another device or for daisy chaining, there's no difference.

Laptops. I need one to replace my 2015 Chromebook. Requirements:
>smol
>Windows
>enough 'woof' to run Chrome and maybe Office
I won't be gaming on the thing, or at most I'll install Steam on the thing and stream games from my big gaming PC.

Surface Go sound reasonable?

Is there a possibility to set battery capacity in my phone at for example 80% and make it the new 100%?
I want to do it to delay batery deterioration due to number of cycles and I know that there already are apps that cap the charge at 80%, but not seeing my phone charged to 100% really hurts my Aspergers.

Attached: bunny.jpg (756x944, 133K)

No. Stop caring about battery percentage, you'll replace the thing before it matters anyway

>Surface Go
The CPU inside of this thing is too slow and most configuration come with too little RAM which will probably infuriate you when you try to do actual work on this.
Is the tablet functionality important for you?
Do you care about the modern zoomer design?

If you want to save a buck then you probably could just go for one of the X series Thinkpad:
truefla.me/free-stuff/used-thinkpad-buyers-guide
If you don't care about the pen then just go for a normal X and if you really want that added tablet functionality then go for the convertible tablet option.

It's practically impossible to replace the battery by yourself nowadays and I plan on holding on to my new phone for 3-4 years since they stopped evolving so fast.

I'm using PHP to execute a powershell script that has to open publisher and export the .pub files as pdf. Running the ps1 file as a normal human bean works fine. Running it through powershell gives me the same console output as if it worked fine but doesn't do the publisher part.
I'm trying to find a way to run the ps1 as admin through php but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Anyone got an idea to fix this?

And if you find an alternative to Publisher that linux can find and replace words in it and export as pdf please let me know.

>I plan on holding on to my new phone for 3-4 years
i honestly, sincerely doubt you'll notice anything different if you were to obsessively micromanage your phone's battery, than if you were to just use the damn thing and leave it alone.

I'm looking at the 8GB version now, and it seems reasonable. My use case is pretty much 'fucking around on the Internet', and it seems like a reasonable step up from the old Nexus 7 I loved before my current Chromebook.

Thinkpads seem to be overkill for my needs, and I'm not getting a fucking used T model lol

I have an old (around 7 years) hdd and a brand new one, according to hdparm the new can read uncached stuff from the disk a bit more than 3 times as fast as the old one. How terrible idea is it combine both in an lvm partition? Would the read speed of the resulting logical volume be hardcapped by the speed of the slower hdd?

My PC won't turn on suddenly one day. I took it to a shop and it started working when they took out the GPU. Got it fixed and the guy told me that it shorted or smth (it's a power related problem) but he got it to work and i was able to use it that night.

When I woke up, I plugged in my fan to the extension cord (other connected: speakers, monitor, pc, and now the electric fan) and turned the fan on. Now my PC won't work again so I took the GPU out and it started working again. I turned up my fan and suddenly my speaker pops (it makes this sound only when i turn it off) every time i raise/lower the fan speed.

Could it be possible that my outlet is overloading or the fan is fucking my shit up? Or did my GPU die again because it's one of those brandless korean ones. The guy who repaired it said he'd repair it again for free, should I gamble on it again or just buy a branded card? (it's a korean RX 570; I don't have money to buy a new 570 so i'll probably by my friend's GTX 970 if the GPU is too dead to be repaired)

I feel like I should have more free space

delete some stuff then

Then at either go for the base tier Surface Pro 6 or wait for Surface Pro 7.
When buying don't buy at full price but instead snipe for offers on places like arstechnica or kinjadeals. You can save even a couple hundred bucks this way.

Oh, and have you accounted for the fact that the Surface Pen and the keyboard attachment are sold separately?

I have. Thanks for the advice, anyway.

How do I know if anyone is tracking me and saving information on me? Not someone obvious like Google, I mean if anyone has selected me and gathers the shit I do, I was reckless on both r9k and pol in the past.

congrats, you've uncovered the reason why those archive scraper bot website are stupid garbage for people with the worst kind of brain chemistry

nooooooo what if i wanted to remember that thread i made in 2014!!!!!!

it is vitally important that Stupid Gay Garbage General Thread #25431564 from 2015 is archived for the ages, so we can refer to it like medival sages from the crazy future of Stupid Gay Garbage General Thread #25438241. ah, the times we had back then. ~nostalgia~

I included my header files and added -l yet I still get "undefined reference to..." errrors. I use g++. Wtf am I doing wrong?

Attached: 1565797260000.jpg (420x427, 43K)

Don't worry user. I'm not sharing your info with anyone.
It's our little secret.

Why the fuck is Android Q taking so long?

It's possible to get your PC fucked Just by adding a torrent? I added a torrent of hotline Miami 2 to deluge on Windows and nos my PC is slow

because its probably not ready yet. you can install the pre-release version if you're desperate.

Small beginner electronics question about making a nand gate out of transistors: what exactly do the resistors in this circuit do? In particular the R1 resistor, the other two I could see just limiting the current for the transistors, but R1 I have a feeling has to do with preventing the output from floating between values, which I'm not too familiar with.

Attached: 311283.image0.jpg (402x400, 13K)

the resistor is a pull up resistor. It's called that since it pulls the voltage of A'B' to Vcc when both q1 and q2 are open. When q1 and q2 are closed the resistor carrys the hole load of Vcc across it this means that A'B' will be pulled down to ground since the whole of Vcc is used upp across R1. If you want to know more or my explanation was shit just search for 'Voltage Dividers' as that is the concept which is used here and in many other electronics ciruits. :)

which e-book readers are good?

I have 3 1TB dell drives that were configured in raid zero on my dell r410. I deleted the VD/raid, and want to throw these drive in my linux box and use them as normal drives. However try as I may they are undetectable by Debian. I have even talken one of these drives and deleted the partitions with disk part on windows and it is able to show up in windows no prob. When I slap it into the linux box and run lsblk, still nothing. I can also throw any of them back into the dell and the Perc raid sees them all just fine. Am I missing something?

I would suggest trying to find an "active" converter but that should be good. I think if you search hard enough the ps2 linux set came with ps2 out put to vga cables.

Can someone help a retard get the Bing wallpaper automatically updated every day on Xfce (Xubuntu)?

Attached: screenshot_1262_Dspl8C2.png (1920x1200, 3.38M)

test please ignore

Windows/Linux: Calibre
Android: Lithium

i mean physical readers

joey bishop

Just bought a new WD drive to replace my old Segate drive. What's the best way to copy my files over? Can I just
cp * ~/drive2

Why would it be bad to do this? I'm planning on reformatting the old drive and giving it to my younger brother.

Attached: Huh.png (960x540, 1.17M)

they're all shit
e-ink readers are so slow that it doesn't make fun
get a tablet or a large phone instead and read on that

Your PSU is kill and cant provide enough power anymore.

precisely how is speed relevant to something you are reading

it's noticeable when you turn pages or switch between chapters
just use your phone or, if you have one, tablet

>it's noticeable when you turn pages or switch between chapters
are you really some kind of Rain Man speed-reading hyper-savant? e-ink uses zero power except when changing pages.
>use your phone or, if you have one, tablet
you fool. you imbecile. you nincompoop

>hmm, why is my memory maxed and swap filled to the brim
>oh, I have 15 chrome tabs open, silly me
who designed this piece of shit

Mostly indians.

nooooooooooo stop using the ram i have installed on my computer

is it okay to mix different RAM capacities? they're all ddr3-1600 but 2 sticks are 2gb each and the other 2 are 4gb each

who the fuck defends high ram usage by modern browsers

I wouldn't care if it didn't grind everything else to a halt. I should not have to restart chrome every few days to stop my computer from running out of memory.

my computer should never ever ever use the hardware i installed in it, ever

As long you put the 4GB ones in the first/A channel and the 2GB sticks in the second channel you will be ok.

>Why/what happens
Async dual channel if you use 2+4 and 2+4 instead 4+4 and 2+2.
Which means it performs worse but you might not notice it.

this is the type of mindset that made shit like android studio possible

Does this kind of temperature rubberbanding seem normal? Even while idle my ryzen processor temps bounce around a lot, and I noticed that the voltage does the same, from ~0.8V to ~1.4V. Would setting a manual voltage even out the spikes?

Attached: temps_2.png (720x450, 57K)

an application should use the minimum amount of resources needed to accomplish its task. anything else is just shoddy workmanship.

>an application should use the minimum amount of resources needed to accomplish its task
out of curiosity, how much ram do you have installed in your computer

Is the refresh rate/hz tied to the cable or the source?
I want to get a Mini DP to HDMI cable but I don't know if all of them run at 60hz or some of the cheaper ones run at 30.

No-one has been able to answer this question.

I redirected the STDERR to STDOUT so I could see the errors Powershell is throwing and it says there's not enough memory to execute the command. The command being the opening of the Publisher files. This doesn't happen when I run it normally, just when I call it from php.
Help.

It all depends in the screen and GPU.
Cable doesn't matter.

Seems normal, my OC'd 4790K jumps around in that range as well.

stock heatsink i assume?

do you have cool n quiet enabled?

Problem is I'm not even overclocking and the idle temps are pretty high, though that's probably because I'm using a mini tower and only have 3 case fans.

Be Quiet Pure Rock

Yeah.

>Problem is I'm not even overclocking and the idle temps are pretty high
It doesn't matter unless you're overheating under load. There's not much reason to give a fuck otherwise.

What's a good app like Tachiyomi to read novels?