Will smoking weed help me be a better programmer?

We just finished the first week of uni and one of my classmates says he gets high and it helps free his mind and he is able to blow through assignments and write all kinds of crazy code easily. He even said he comes to class high everyday because it makes he cant focus without it. Is this true or is he just a retard?

Attached: man-smoking-pot-in-suit-1-678x381.jpg (678x381, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vivs3c2eTX4
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5123717/
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314222.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's a retard.

Yeah and what's his fucking grades?
He's a retard, and the weed gives him a sense that he's doing well but he's writing garbage.

He said hes spent 3 years at a community college then had to retake some basic math classes. Maybe i shouldn't be listening to this guy.

hes just a retard.
i rather see the reverse, lots of good programmers smoke weed, but not to program, atleast that def was the case at our uni.
when im stoned i write about just as good code as normally, as long as it's not more than a hundred or so lines, after that it goes to absolute shit since i forget everything.

I use it sometimes to enhance creativity (design). sometimes organizing/refractoring. but most of the time it just slows you down.

>hippie burnout stoner tries to assimilate into corporate code monkey

Attached: 1505406016407.jpg (1024x732, 139K)

Smoking weed won't help you program. Programming while high can be fun or interesting, but it's usually less productive than sober programming. I did have a fun time learning Haskell while blazed.

How can i tell if someone is a hippie burnout? I fear this is my roommate. He is a rec major and his GPA is like 2.2

I was high as fuck every single day and still made Dean's list all 4 years of my BSc in CS
If you dont smoke all the time it's just going to fuck you up though, same in reverse as well.
When I stop smoking weed I can't program for a week or two as well as I could before.
>inb4 dude weed posters

If they smoke weed more than once a month they're a goner.

see also if all their other hobbies/activities/daily routines center around weed they're a bonafide burnout

No, it will help you become a lazy deadbeat though

He buys weed and thc oil everyday and even gets it loaned to him when he doesnt have money. There is never a day he isnt smoking weed. He got mad i called him a drug addict but at this point is this not a drug addict?

Does he also walk around looking like pic related most of the time?

on the real though yeah he's an addict and you should probs kick his ass to the curb. weed's ok every now and then but associating with/living with straight up stoners is no good and will only hold you back

bet his coding/grades are shit too

Attached: 1395806512038.jpg (500x332, 18K)

Why is being high and programming shilled so hard then?

Weed sometimes gives me this magical insight into the logic behind the programs but it just eliminates my mental acuity and memory retention. Not good for becoming a better programmer. Weed is like putting yourself into a cloud, everything feels more natural, smoother, better, but its hard to see whats ahead of you.

since weed doesn't have physical addiction I'd rather define it as the line is whether he misses drugs to do responsibilities or misses responsibilities to do drugs.
although he's probably the second one

it makes shit jobs (refactoring, writing shit write-only code, etc..) less shit and more fun, while not significantly impacting performance since you don't think much anyways.

It does actually work that way for some people.
However, no matter who you are, eventually the positive effects of *any* drug diminish while the side-effects increase. Consider this: lets assume weed does make you more productive & focused (as I said, it truly does for many people). A known side effect of THC is reduced REM sleep with increased "deep" sleep. REM sleep is associated with immune system health and long-term memory. How many nights do you think you can shorten your REM sleep before you start being prone to infection and start being unable to learn properly? How bad can those side effects get before they outweigh the effect of focus and productivity? How productive can you be when you become sick and haven't advanced your skills because of poor memory? That's only one angle of this. Just one other side to consider is that any neurochemical change will cause re-regulation, meaning if you start consistently consuming cannabanoids and raising your dopamine with THC, your body will stop naturally producing as many neurotransmitters for the relevant receptors. Eventually you'll need to smoke weed just to feel normal, but you'll still have all the side effects when normal, in other words you'll have to smoke to get sober but then you'll feel shittier than the old sober so you'll have to smoke more to actually get high, and this cycle never improves, it gets worse until you take a tolerance break. The physical addiction aspect of marijuana is lesser than many drugs, including alcohol, nicotine, and opioids, and the withdrawal is mostly associated with nightmares and anxiety (catching up on all that REM you missed, while simultaneously feeling the opposite of calm) but again not nearly as bad as smoking or drinking but still notable.

Now, all of that said... used wisely and sparingly, is weed helpful? Yes, definitely. In too many ways to say. But avoid regular use if you actually want it to help anything.

i only write code code baked, I am rarely sober, been big weed junkie for over 15 years
now my site sits on top 30k worldwide and I don't need to be a wagecuck

here's a crazy thought: you can make work fun yourself without drugs! for example, I used to be a warehouse monkey. most boring job ever. moving boxes and stacking palettes. We found ways to make it fun. We were all men so we told offensive and dirty jokes. We would stack up empty boxes and play "warehouse bowling." We'd compete to finish the fastest then hang out and get paid to eat lunch or watch youtube (later on, I'd just finish fast to clock out and go work on software until I could quit and do that full-time). That job would have sucked if I went in high because i'd be isolating myself and just in my head instead of being able to have fun and still get work done.

If he has to smoke weed to get shit done while he's in school and everything is easy, consider how well he'll do when he's out of school and has real stress and responsibility. There's only so much more high you can get and still be capable of accomplishing anything

Nah, you'll be unable to commit things to long term memory, never in the same day as a learning activity.
Smoke on the weekends and maybe when you get home from work, but never if you need to remember something.
Source: bigtime smoker

your classmate is just trying to justify his destructive addiction. weed makes you worse at everything except at being a lazy failure

No, you fucking idiot.
Weed is not a stimulant, it's a mild hallucinogenic and a depressant.
He can't focus without it because he has dependency issues.
Stoners are retarded and rarely think before they defend their precious plant.
It's the leading trigger for the development of serious mental illness, but you'd never hear it from them.
It's "natural" and "it feels good" and that's all the matters to them.
People who use depressants for anything other than painkillers are subhuman.

Makes you better at jacking off, tasting subtle flavors, and listening to music.

that's still an addiction, his personal hygiene is probably worse than a non-drug user too. ask him how often he flosses his teeth.

this i>you'll be unable to commit things to long term memory
this is by far the most direct consequence of THC use

I have 2 years industry experience and a bachelor's degree. I smoke weed a few nights a week because it helps me unwind. It definitely dulls my mind. It doesn't help me programme it just helps me sleep.

I'd count personal hygiene as a responsibility

No one cares that you don't like drugs lol

I doubled my salary after I stopped smoking weed so I'd say no. STAY AWAY FROM WEED! That shit will turn you into an unmotivated POS.

Only makes sense to me if he's having something like anxiety, so smoking calms him down to a normal level, allowing him to focus.

>better
it lowers your standards for all of those pleasures by degrading your ability to judge quality

no
try modafinil

>He said hes spent 3 years at a community college then had to retake some basic math classes. Maybe i shouldn't be listening to this guy.
/thread

youtube.com/watch?v=vivs3c2eTX4

Free yo mind, Craig.

i read an article that said that in silicone valley some people microdose on lsd because its like a stimulant.

I knew a dude who did all his work stoned, said it helped him focus at one thing at a time. Me on the other hand, it wouldnt work for me at all.

Now getting tipsy is great for starting off any work, really gets the ball rolling.

they think it makes them more creative

Smoking weed gives me some pretty cool ideas while brain storming, but once I'm in front of the IDE, it's really hardly any different when I'm sober.

Microdosing on LSD is on a whole different level than smoking weed.
It does stimulate you in a similar way to caffeine, but it makes you think in a different pattern which can be super helpful for work, since you approach things from different angles.
Just make sure you don't take more than half a dose MAX. Otherwise you're going to be logged out in a full-on trip, which is good for re-thinking your life, but not at work where you're supposed to be sober.

Even like 5ug just makes me wanna have a good time & socialize. Really makes it harder to concentrate on programming.

I'm surprised you can even feel 5ug.
It depends a lot on your personality. I dislike socializing as is, so when I do dose, I really just want to read something, listen to music, or hang out with one person (gf or a close friend).

>i'm an exception to the norm but everyone else is just like me
Kill yourself, retard. 99% of people will become cognitively dulled due to long term THC use and it's role in highly reduced dopamine function. You're no different, you're just good at what you do because you've been doing it so long. Go switch to another type of work, learn a foreign language, do anything that requires learning and I guarantee you will fail.

I have a huge tolerance so smoking isn't that debilitating for me. I think it helps me think about abstractions and how to design logic. Obviously just my subjective experience.

Ignore the dude weed lmao retards ITT. Weed will drastically dull you over the long term.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5123717/
>where you and your friend are at now
"Acute THC causes increased dopamine release and neuron activity,
>where you'll end up
whilst long-term use is associated with blunting of the dopamine system."
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314222.php
>"Low dopamine levels have been associated with mood changes, fatigue, depression, and lack of motivation; dopamine deficiency is present in a number of neurological conditions, including Parkinson's disease and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)."
I smoked weed for 18 years, trust me, the long term effects of weed suck. It'll turn you into a zombie potato.

See

Yes, please smoke tons of weed so you become retarded and I have less competition.

Attached: 1561833564550.png (2560x1440, 2.37M)

Fag just smoke weed before work like every other wagie

It does. LSD and other psychedelics make new neural connections, creates novel subjective experiences with new thought patterns and increase the map of experiences beyond that which is possible without an altered state of consciousness. This doesn't make you creative, it makes creative people more creative. It's also a powerful stimulant, and stims and logic problems go together like nothing else.

It's not a miracle drug and not for everyone but certainly has benefits if you have reasonable expectations. Not every new idea is good or new sensory experience added to the matrix is useful but it can be a hell of a lot better than being stuck in the same pattern. It's sort of like how seeing different landscapes in different light is useful for an artist, only it also includes impossible lighting in unreachable landscapes.

Attached: d8aa5771925324b55dec355763b467740513ef16v2_hq.jpg (1024x1024, 152K)

Smoking is bad for your lungs and Vapes are expensive. I would stick to microdosing on edibles. 10mg is enough to feel good for 4 hours but not stoned enough to feel tired or have your eyes look red & super low.

I smoked weed everyday throughout uni and still do. Graduated with math and cs degrees and work at a faang now, show up to work stoned everyday and don't have any problems.

this.
i think its benefits probably have to do with the same reason a lot of famous writers from the past were also well-known raging alcoholics (write drunk, edit sober. ballmer's peak, etc.) -- lowered inhibitions so instead of sitting there umming and ahhing over whether or not you're doing something the >right way you just do. there also is that point in the high where you enter that weed-unique zen state where everything just makes perfect sense
having said that you do need to smoke AS you're doing something rather than beforehand and intending to start, it gives you goldfish-memory and doing it all the time will turn you into a mumbling retard

i smoke lsd everyday and use gentoo

yes and no.
What I've noticed in weed is that it CAN create the sense of a flow state more easily in SOME people. Not everyone. You might get high, start coding, and ten minutes later you're standing in front of the microwave before watching the tele for the rest of the night. It's a false sense in my opinion. If you can stick to the work and eventually stop smoking it then that's better in my experience.
Now, microdosing psychedelics, on the other hand....

OP don't do it!
>Lowers IQ
>Causes psychoses

>psychological addiction isn't an addiction
I'm pretty sure his learning ability is greatly decreased, wouldn't recommend taking classes while high or smoking daily. I fucking love weed tho, so much in fact that I wasted four years of my life just daydreaming about doing shit rather than actually accomplishing anything. Haven't smoked in three weeks and feels good to try to do something with my life for a change.

His hygiene is gross. His face is always red full of pimples and he smells like shit.

Thank you.

It affects everyone differently, some people become more productive, some people become babbling retards. Im actually stopping bc Ive noticed I got alot more done when I was sober.

No one seems to realize that it ultimately depends on what weed strain you smoke. They all have different effects. For example there's weed out there that's all CBD and no THC so smoking it doesn't get you high at all but it does soothe pain and relaxes you. Meanwhile smoking a strong THC indica will leave you body couch locked and spaced out.

>junkie kid says he focuses better with it
no, he's a junkie. weed is not some magic drug you will 99% of the time have worse focus and generally be unproductive

I knew a guy like that. He had to come to our unix class on Adderall just to be able to finish the lab assignment.

Not if you're a lazy stoner, but cannabis in general can be great for mood. It makes me very creative but my productivity goes to shit. Maybe get high, record and draft ideas, and work on them sober.

Incorrect. It can be very mentally stimulating. It depends on the strain. Not everyone smokes Indica like you lol.

Yeah I'm all for smoking herb from time to time but it in no way helps you be intellectually productive. Creative, sure, help you not mind hauling shingles on a roof or doing plumbing absolutely. Write code or anything besides fiction, not so much.

the only drug good for progamming is amphetamine

He sounds retarded

sure bro, weed will help you a lot, I smoke all the time 20g a day and look how smart I am. trust me bro

I fucking hate weed smokers

>weed isn't addictive bro
>I just spend 1/3 of my paycheck on it and get jittery when I don't smoke it

You're a big boy. If you want to smoke weed go ahead. Don't try and justify it with "so and so said i'll write better code"

I'm guessing you're fresh out of high school so let me give it to you straight. Your classmate has a problem and is finding it easier to make excuses rather than owning up to it and seeking help. As you get older you're going for realize a few things, my boy. Successful people don't give a fuck about what others think. Shit people and leeches to society still value the opinions of others.

I've found the being stoned isn't very productive when programming. However, I've had programmers tell me that it makes the work bearable; otherwise they wouldn't do it.

>go to uni, barely pass the first year
>start smoking weed (hash) 4-5 times a day
>after waking up, in between, before sleep, all days
>dude weed gotta be smart lmao an intellectual
>after first semester for some reason I am top 1 of my class, near perfect possible grades, profs greet me in the halls, become that guy that profs interact with during lectures
>some people suck up to me, ask for help, always invite me to hang out, generally everyone became friendly
>go drinking several times a semester with class
>remember someone making a long toast how smart I am
>finish uni, a few months pass
>don't remember anything I've learned besides the price of a steak at the uni canteen
>remember the name of only one random classmate I didn't even talk once with
>dude weeder moves on

Attached: 65253.jpg (640x480, 114K)

we had this exact thread a month ago
nice pasta

You might as well inhale onions fumes instead of smoking weed

Cringe

I smoked daily for years and I seriously doubt it would make you more efficient at programming.

It might make it easier to think of abstract concepts but... faster or better concentration? fuck no.

I bet the same people that rip on weed on Jow Forums are the same people vaping on nicotine and hyping themselves on coffee.

Weed is the ultimate redpill. Makes getting laid super easy when you can tap into your mind and enter constant flow states.

>Will smoking weed help me be a better programmer?
No, I would recommend taking something with a bit more bite to it, like Desoxyn.

Most people take adderall and become smackheads.

/thread

Weed makes your brains low down, thus makes you act/think like a retard. If you want to get better at programming, you need a speed upper. Something like adderall or sugar are imo opposite of weed's slowness effect but still safe enough. If you want more higher dosage, there's coke and meth, but they make you super fidgity and make you go into extremes rush. LSD, also sometimes called "acids", are psychedelics and can make your brain perceive in random ways giving weird impressions.

The main problem with speed/weed/etc are addiction issues. If you force the body into extremes on regular basis, you'll be fucked.

Smack is heroin.

>that feel when I need my adderall prescription to program, but it feels terrible at the end of the day

Attached: 1560078994007.jpg (702x562, 67K)

alcohol is fine, right?

Attached: Download.png (225x225, 3K)

If you "need" adderall, then you're fucked. You need to get off of that right now.

Only in small sips like few tea spoons worth, maybe a shot at most. Enough for a buzz but not to make you a retard.

You need help user

but I have ADHD

I would stay away from alcohol and leave it for celebrations/special occasions. Always leads to bad foods, bloating, and other things that slow me down.

Absolutely.

that's not a real thing

Do you have a peer reviewed citation for that hot take?

Try silent meditation retreat.. Starve yourself of attention for 2 weeks. Find out the results.

he is just retarded and when reviewing code once in a while he will not know what happened there and what idiot did that shit. That even happens to programmers reviewing their own code from 1 year before.
code is read more often then written.

alcohol helps to stop you from making new memories. I drink after a long school day or programming, because it forces your mind to think on those memories, instead of create more.

I expected stupidity, but are you really so retarded that you're taking drugs, and don't know what they actually are?
Weed is a central nervous system depressant, like heroin, or alcohol. It's also a hallucinogenic, like LSD.
Caffeine, cocaine, methamphetamine, and adderall are stimulants.
Weed is not a stimulant, and will not make you better at anything, despite your insistence.

Don't take academic advice from freshmen
Befriend some upperclassmen in your Dept and ask them how they manage their work

Attached: 1559352086029.png (722x535, 292K)