Why is it so tempting to blow $2000 on a system you will never use beyond games and Internet browsing and probably...

Why is it so tempting to blow $2000 on a system you will never use beyond games and Internet browsing and probably won't even be worth half of that price in 2-3 years? Why isn't a $500 build enough for people?

Attached: 9876558.jpg (1536x2048, 456K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Zfxs6PjjXyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's the "hot-rod" of the 21st century. It's the thrill of researching the right components and the hopeful prospect to brag to others about your shiny computy-box.

Much like the rest of mindless consumerism.

That's why I keep my builds ~$1k my dude. The diminishing returns beyond that are laughable.

>probably won't even be worth half of that price in 2-3 years?
What sort of consumer whore are you that you NEED to sell your stuff to get new stuff? Why don't you just buy the stuff that suits your needs and hold onto it as long as you can or as long as it's useful?
>Why isn't a $500 build enough for people?
Because people have different needs and different standards.

I just got a raspberry pi 4 4gb desktop kit with a cooler. It's an interesting experience to say the least. Idk why people hold onto over priced xboxes. All windows offers is a shitty console experience anyone.

I paid $2k for a laptop that I used to make between 10 and 20k working remotely. It's not much money if you have a real job.

>buying brand new release products
>beta testing
>full price
>barely using the hardware's capabilities in the end

mindless consumerism sums it right up

Attached: animu.png (149x148, 58K)

money has less value the more money u have.
now stop being poor.

my gtx970 still runs everything I throw at it 60 fps

Attached: 1557690108578.png (1000x1000, 124K)

I fell for the gaming PC meme, sold the Xbox (which I never used) and built a $1000~ PC. I've had it for 6 months now and haven't played anything. I regret it every day.

because you're a retarded consumerist whore. Give some fucking thought to what you're trying to do.

Actually it's the first thing I've bought since the Xbox. I don't have anything else, still using an old ass phone.

I did enjoy learning and building a PC though, at least that was something.

Well, it's tempting if you have that amount of money to blow. It's not so tempting when you can't afford to do that.

You are all thinking about this the wrong way. If you make 100k a year, and spending that extra 3k on your laptop nets you 3% increased productivity, you're just being economical. Y'all are the type of people who would make 150k and clean your own homes, go grocery shopping in person, and drive 10 miles out of your way just to save 2$ per gallon on gas. The 5k computer isn't for someone who just uses their computer from time to time, it's for the incels like me who spend at least 50 hours a week glued to it. I personally save at least an hour a week by buying an enormously overpriced electrobox, which translates to 52*50=2500$ a year. Buying anything cheaper would be throwing money away.

because a lot of us spend a majority of our lives on computers so it makes sense you would want the best

> that extra 3k on your laptop nets you 3% increased productivity
>that's economical
>3k
>3%
>economical
This is your brain on retardism.

3D rendering rapes my computer so it I need something beefy

Attached: 1547405067017.png (203x209, 14K)

>i7-5820k
>980ti
>16gb RAM
>1080p / 60 monitor
Still runs most things at high-ultra, 4 years later.

Multiple successful strategies exist. I buy the "flagship specks" once every decade. Same goes for smartphones. No issues so far. Current budget phones don't even match the specs of my 3 year old "smartphone" and my 7 year old PC build can still do everything I want.

I'm still gaming on my 2014 system moi noir homme. Sure I do upgrade it every now and then (the latest is a GTX1050 I found on a cheap) but nobody is that stupid to waste 2 grand every year just for gaymen

If you can be productive with a shitty computer, then do it. Personally my focus suffers severely if I use a slow computer, I end up getting distracted while I wait for it to work, even 200ms delays in a common task are crippling. If you can sit and stare and sip coffee while something runs, then go for it. If your work doesn't demand much from your machine, then don't worry. I know a lot of people in software have jobs like data analysis where everything runs remotely so your local processor isn't very important. If that's the case for you then take advantage of it.

You could probably get away with a higher refresh rate monitor with that setup. My 980ti was still giving me minimum 70fps at 1440p let alone 1080p in newer titles.

>Why isn't a $500 build enough for people?
Not everyone uses a computer the way you do.

>consumerism
Wanna know how I know you're posting from a used ebay Fagpad-tier device?

Attached: peter_yes.jpg (750x918, 70K)

my computer go zoom zoom whenever i do anything. crispy

Attached: IMG_20190814_022212_959.jpg (640x654, 35K)

you get nice computer and 100k. the extra money pays for the laptop and you get all the money. win win retard

Yyeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't think so.
youtu.be/Zfxs6PjjXyc
But 1440p is a meme anyway.

Yeah? And? So? What if he is? Do you feel warm inside or something? Are you proud of pissing away money just because?

>1440p is a meme
Not it's not. However I see your point. Point is the 980Ti is still a perfectly capable 1440p card.

>i don't need that
>therefore you don't either
Bet you also meme about how bad "communism" is, in spite of your aspergers about other's spending habits.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the infinitely more powerful 2060 isn't a perfectly capable 1440p card either. So, no. But either way, we're still a generation or two away from that I think.

>meme about how bad "communism" is
oof what a shit response

What communism? The fuck are you even talking about? That was my first reply to you.

surrrrrrrre

Attached: 3.5meme.jpg (1038x847, 271K)

fucking poorfags never learn

The 970 barely ran anything at 60 fps when It was new

That's on him, I didn't bring up communism. Fuck off.

Yeah I agree. Next gen mid level GPU's will probably be able to do 1440p and 144hz ez and 1440p monitors will get even cheaper than they already are.

>i didnt bring up communism
are you having a stroke?

Yeah on low settings, 1080p maybe.

Source: I have a 970. Runs like shit.

This

Die.

Attached: 1566034497289.png (1055x957, 110K)

if i made even 50k a year id have no problem spending $2000 on a computer.
Being cheap is not a good way to live.

If that wasnt you then why the fuck did you care if i told that faggot to go back where he clearly belongs
fuck off faggot

Neither is wasting money bro, moral of the story: be efficient with your money

Idk, I use my pc for work. I can justify the cost. But even then, I don't think I've bought a pc in the 2k range. Even if I use release msrp, my current pc only comes out to around $1500. A large chunk of it comes from the various drives I use.

I have a decent mid-end 2015 PC that does everything I need it for comfortably (no games) and my brother has a high end expensive gaming PC with top of the line peripherals and it's crazy how big the difference in experience is, literally 0 wait always, crazy fast rendering, 120FPS UI, perfect sensor mouse, etc. I'm tempted to get some of the things for myself but I feel like I'll just get used to it in a few months and then it's back to being impressed by the newer, shinier thing, so I'll keep this one for as long as it works.

Get a 4k high refresh rate large display, along with whatever top of the line accessories and lighting and you'd be way over 2k.

It is?

>60 fps
poverty cope

Yeah I considered it but I'm not playing games as much anymore, if anything mostly older games like CSS and Warcraft 3

this

>Why is it so tempting to blow $2000 on a system?
it's not
>isn't a $500 build enough?
that's really low, maybe $500 + keyboard + mouse + display

I encode chink cartoons bdmv and 4k bdmv with ffmpeg libx265.
Then i dump the bdremux on google drive.
I usually make enhancement like antialiasing because chinks can't into scaling.

90% of the time they will fuck up something.
Only kyoani is consistently good i don't have to do anything.
But they died.

Next upgrade I'm making will be towards the3-4k usd range because I now work in 3D and raytracing is fun.
Barely play any demanding games because they are all the same old shit.

Truly depressing.

e-peen

this but its 2k for me

The creature feels threatened by the idea of not wasting all his paycheck in a single month and falls back on muh communism.
Spending 2k$ on a piece of hardware because it's "tempting" and "why not" is the definition of mindless consumerism. Now your little american brain maybe cannot comprehend this but capitalism can exist without consumerism. Now go back on and sperg a little about muh communism only works on paper and muh venezuela