What do you think of the Chrome OS?

What do you think of the Chrome OS?

Attached: index.png (972x703, 625K)

botnet

its worse than macs and windows.

Chrome OS is all the mileage we're gonna get out of "year of the linux desktop"

What the hell are you talking about?

Chrome OS is the closest we're gonna get to mainstream linux other than android

Will I have to register and make a surveillance account for it?

Comfy

Acceptable for some situations, but extremely niche.

Botnet

BotnetOS and it's open source alternative BotnetiumOS are good if you don't care much about being survailled 24/7

most people should probably use it

I would never use chromeos but arm chromebook with linux would be nice.

Google Cancer

How easy is to install Linux on a Botnetbook?

easy

what reason do you have to use it?
what software works on it and not on other, already established, OS's?

pic related

windows 10 pc handles photoshop and heavy-lifting, my chromebook handles all my daily stuff. It's a nice machine, especially in the gold colour.

Just installing brogue on the chromebook for offline gaymen

Attached: IMG_20190817_121413.jpg (4096x3072, 1.31M)

It’s very comfy.
>2019
>still pretending the entire internet isn’t a botnet
No
>survailled

It's for botnet niggers.

>Windows
Gross. Who would do this to themselves?

You’re missing the point.
>cinema display
>pc
>tar-colored keyboard
>mba knockoff laptop
I’m having mixed feelings.

>cinema display
comfy
>pc
enslaved to windows for my work
>tar-colored keyboard
Keyboard could use taking apart and bleaching, I'll give you that.
>mba knockoff laptop
went from 2012 mbp to this, won't go back anytime soon

work, otherwise I'd run linux

Chrome OS is Linux, so you already run it.

Found the NEET.

Most tech jobs require macOS or GNU.

Not just any Linux, it’s Gentoo

>what reason do you have to use it?
Frankly, caving to the pressure to use tablets/smartphones. I may as well have something similar but with a keyboard and trackpad.
This way I too can start saying "app" all the time and and contribute momentum to the cashless surveillance society.

It's a discouraging dystopia.

Even hospitals are starting to demand "app" usage for patients.

>most
no, I think you meant "some"

Chrome is the only real app I use in windows nowadays. I might as well just use chrome OS

Windows isn't really used in tech jobs, it's used in offices and by sales clerks.

ChromeOS is just Chrome. If you want to do anything more than just browser stuff, you're fucked.

How locked-down are most Chromebooks anyways? I was given a Chromebook a few years ago, my pops bought it for $130 while he was on travel and then gave it to me because he no longer had any use for it. I did a firmware hack where I had to put a piece of tinfoil inside of it to connect a jumper and ran a script that installed "seabios." From there, I could effortlessly install Linux onto it and I don't see any Chrome messages at startup whatsoever.

I picked up a nice refurbished 15.6 acer one for 140. It's great for browsing the web, youtube, netflix, etc. Anything else is total garbage, but to be real, it's one of the best laptops I've had. The reason is that despite not doing most of what a laptop should be able to do, the thing is tuned to do web-browsing flawlessly. No hard drive at all, just 4 gb of ram, the thing is a basic bitch, but throw a micro sd in there for simple storage and you can make a nice late night youtube machine out of it. legit one of the best 140 i ever spent.

ChromeOS is Linux.

I do a lot of media production, most applications unfortunately don't run very well under linux.

Your fault for getting a useless art degree.

Not really mate.

If you’re gonna larp, go elsewhere.

yeah, if that's the case, if you can easily install Linux on them. They're just cheap laptops

Funny you mention it. I just spent an hour trying to set up remote desktop so I could control my Chromebook from my couch while I stream pirated TV shows. For some vile fucking reason, the Android app doesn't allow you to input codes generated by the dumbass web app that's dependent on the dumbass extension that has the exact same name as the depreciated extension that for some reason isn't delisted from the web store. No, the Android app is designed around accessing computers that have had the remote desktop software installed, which a Chromebook obviously won't. I settled on just getting up after every episode and I think I'm just going to get a $20 wireless keyboard with a trackpad on it and call it a day.
I actually really like the concept of ChromeOS. 70% of my computer usage is basically through a web browser, so a computer that's only that makes sense IMO. I'm already a Google captive so I don't give a shit about le botnet. Overall very cool, but I wish there were more premium options in general and I wish REMOTE DESKTOP WASN'T SO FUCKING BUSTED GOD DAMN IT
Android apps are nice too.

All you really have to do is install Coreboot. SeaBIOS is optional if you want to run disgusting operating systems that can’t handle UEFI.

Some are cheap, some are stupidly priced and way overkill for such a light OS.

I think mine cost about 180 britbongs, haven't noticed any slowdowns as of yet.

Coreboot is the only redeeming function and is obviated by the obnoxious hardware reset switch.

Is a Chromebook similar to a tablet, as far as how it functions for the person using it?

Most of them have read/write switches on them to unlock the bootloader and you can install anything you want just like some phone romhacks

just looked few chromebooks and i wonder how 4 gigabytes of ram is enough for chrome without ridiculous swapping

Chromebooks are great devices for elder people. My parents, both +65 yo, have Chromebooks now. And they don't call me about their computer issues anymore.

With Windows devices, I used to get calls from my mother almost weekly.

>ChromeOS is just Chrome. If you want to do anything more than just browser stuff, you're fucked.

There are some real life saver extensions in the chrome web store.

With those browser extensions, I was able to do

-Simple photo editing
-Playing videos (Adding subtitles was a pain in the ass tough)
-SSH
-Torrent
-Connecting to network devices & drives
-Remote Desktop Client / Server
-Creating USB Boot drives for Windows and Linux

What I didn't even try to

-Printing
-Document/PDF editing (Fuck google docs)

Oh, btw my Chromebook is Dell 3120 from 2014 and it didn't receive Android.

On new models, most of the android apps are available. Almost any daily thing can be done on a Chromebook.

Ah nice, another botnet OS. Honestly it's such a waste of competent hardware. Fucking useless.

Since it doesn't use X or Wayland it's already infintely better than any linux distro. Still wouldn't use it though.

>he can’t hack his hardware

Macbooks have a nice design, there's nothing wrong with ripping them off.

If you work in IT, you're dealing with Windows daily. Your own machine might not use it, but you're working with end user devices and Windows Server without a doubt.

No. Why would you think that? Maybe if you work for a school or office building as an admin or something, but otherwise not at all.

your mother just wanted to talk with you. now she doesn't have any excuses to ask how you're doing.

/thread

Besides , I liked Chrome OS before they started actively ruining it with Android apps and weird design redundancies. It had promise.

This. My mom has a Chromebook and my role as tech support has dropped 90%.

...? Why two computers?
Why not just get the most powerful Windows laptop you could get your hands on, and an external monitor?

>...? Why two computers?
Not him, but here's a few reasons:
>Desktop is easy to upgrade/fix, has better cooling, better bang for buck specs wise
>More powerful Windows laptop is bigger, heaver, less comfortable to carry around than a thin cheap laptop
>More powerful laptop also has less battery life than the Chromebook
If there's no need for the power on the go, there is no real benefit to getting a more powerful laptop

>>Desktop is easy to upgrade/fix, has better cooling, better bang for buck specs wise
Get a ThinkPad.
>>More powerful Windows laptop is bigger, heaver, less comfortable to carry around than a thin cheap laptop
An extra pound doesn't make much of a difference and it's still worth it to not have to transfer files back and forth. To be able to do everything on one single machine.
>>More powerful laptop also has less battery life than the Chromebook
Not necessarily true. Chromebooks pretty much only have average battery life. 6-10 hours. Most 'pro' laptops have that same estimate.

Chrome OS would be good if it actually had good performance.
My MacBook Air performs better than a fucking Pixelbook

This. I had a Chromebook and performance was literally the ONLY thing wrong with it. I wanted that machine to be so much better than it actually could've been.
Everything about it was great, except the fact that it froze and crashed literally a minimum of once every day. Was unusable out of the box.
I don't know if they ever fixed that problem (and guessing by all the Pixel Slate review, no), but I've been burned before. Never going back to a Chromebook again.

its shit

>Get a ThinkPad.
I've got several on my own, have several from work. I'd still rather use dual Xeon P920 workstation for doing extensive tests than a P51.
>An extra pound doesn't make much of a difference and it's still worth it to not have to transfer files back and forth. To be able to do everything on one single machine.
Completely depends on what you're doing. If you don't need it, it's useless. When I work remote and travel around, it all adds up. I'd much rather carry around my T470 than P51 for example. If a Chromebook is all user needs, he's welcome to it.
>Not necessarily true. Chromebooks pretty much only have average battery life. 6-10 hours. Most 'pro' laptops have that same estimate.
That's true. One thing to keep in mind is that you're carrying around a bigger charger with a proprietary plug for bigger laptops. A lot of the smaller laptops can use USB-C these days. You get a smaller charger and you can use it across multiple devices. If you're travelling around, those small wins are pretty great.
I'm not saying these are THE reasons why anyone should use two machines, but they are valid depending on your need. Whatever floats your boat and makes you comfy.

Going back to the Chromebook discussion itself: if all you need is web browsing, being able to ssh to your server, do remote desktop work, ... They're pretty great little inexpensive machines. Also, as multiple anons have mentioned, they're pretty great for non-technical people. These things are pretty idiot-proof (especially compared to Windows and MacOS). I have one myself and while I usually prefer my own X200 and X220, if taken my Chromebook along if I only needed a laptop to do some online research/web hosting stuff.

Damn dude you fell for some fuckin memes.

Heavy thinkpads have a lot of disadvantages for actually taking around everywhere, especially if you live in a big city and walk or bike. Plus, they take damage just as easily as any other laptop, and the cheap plastic shit on them breaks and shit starts overheating with no warning.

I got my acer Chromebook 14 two years ago and i damn love it. I use my laptop for media consumption and writing essays/translations for my college. I got it for 90€ in mint condition from a person who did not know how to use it and thought it was shit cos it does not run windows. If you use linux you will basically know how to run everything on chromeos especially if you buy a good machine. It runs smoothly and it gets better with every update. If i had to switch to anything else now I'd be super annoyed. Absolutely got used to it. Just buy one with bigger SSSD and you'll be damn fine.

I don't understand chromebooks. Like you can find laptops with better specs without an operating system (freedos) that you can later install Linux on. Who buys those?

They get shilled heavily to schools because they are cheap and hard to fuck up the os.
I can understand it though. If you want to use laptops in the classroom they don't need to be really powerfull, schools usually have shitty budgets and teachers don't want to run around doing tech support instead of teaching their class.

Why anyone would buy them for personal use is beyond me.

You can get laptops like the Lenovo Ideapad cheaper than most chromebooks especially the ones with AMD processor or Celeron, and no Windows license, you can find them for a steal.

Google botnet, but it's a good excuse to ship cheap hardware for Linux machines without having to deal with the Microsoft tax.

I'd rather use macOS than ever use that shit

GNU/Linux userland**, and extremely easy.

Got one as a temporary laptop a year ago. Absolutely based as a long-battery-lasting internet and Netflix machine.

I need to go back to Windows though, as I can't stand the limitations of not having proper MS Office and an offline desktop.

Otherwise it's pretty cool.

Looked okay until they redesigned it to look like shit for tablets.

Full price for a 16GB emmc machine... I'll pass