Just started using Riot

Fuck WhatsApp and even Telegram.
Riot is the way to go, it is:
1. secure
2. fast
3. distributed
4. its backend is open source

Attached: riot_is_for_trannies.png (300x300, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jami.net/
dev.gajim.org/gajim/gajim
halogen.city
nerdsin.space/
riot.thisisjoes.site
riot.kiwifarms.net
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-UlA4-tslROBDS9IqHalWVztqZo7uxlCeKPQ-8uoFOU/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its KEX is fucking awful

Has setting up a Matrix server finally become doable?
When I tried it it was even worse than XMPP. Also, fuck XMPP with a rusty knife, the fucking client fragmentation is a crime against humanity.

whatsapp is goybook botnet
telegram is russian botnet
even signal is shit and requires a phone number to sign up
riot doesnt even require an email for account creation

When using docker, Yes.
Otherwise, I don't think so.

so terrorists don't need a throw-away-email or prepaid number, sure then it's not a botnet

5. Calls home even if you self host

Is that telemetry due to being alpha?

At least there's other clients available and they are all compatible.
Compare that to XMPP's "you want file transfers but don't use Gajim or Conversations? Good luck".

I've been using it with my friends over a year. It has a lot of bugs, but it works.
But what makes it more secure than Telegram and WhatsApp, they also have end-to-end encryption right?
Being open source is the key then? That in the end we don't know really what's going on with Telegram and WhatsApp?

>But what makes it more secure than Telegram and WhatsApp, they also have end-to-end encryption right?
It's federated.
Zuckerberg can at any time decide to break Whatsapp or disable its encryption.

Think email. Anyone can run a server, anyone can write a client. Pick and choose at will.

RIOT IS SHIT
Horrible electron-backed performance, performs worse than fucking Discord.
Forced registration - no way to write comments even if the server doesn't require registration.
It's just pure cancer. Matrix will never take off with such a pile of crap.

>Forced registration - no way to write comments even if the server doesn't require registration.
I'm pretty sure that you can use your own server for Riot.

>Horrible electron-backed performance, performs worse than fucking Discord.
What fucking potato do you need for Discord to run badly?
I can barely use it on a RAM 2GB Atom tablet. Anything stronger than that is plenty performance. On my main rig it causes no issues, aside from being spyware and having a slow initial startup.

Either way, it's one client of many. Its only real fault is that using your own server is made more obtuse than it needs to be and that the costs for using Matrix' servers are hidden in the app, which is probably illegal in many jurisdictions.

>fast
No. It lags a lot. It's bloated, and since Matrix sucks, messages can take seconds to send.

What do you guys have against WhatsApp exactly?
Just because it's owned by facebook it doesn't mean the app itself isn't secure. In fact a lot of governments around the world have been throwing tantrums over WhatsApp's encryptions and their inability to snoop into conversations.

The Matrix protocol is pretty great, a mix between email and irc. It's also really easy to program with. I honestly think it's going to be the future of distributed communication and I honestly believe that it's a decent replacement to irc.

>What fucking potato do you need for Discord to run badly?
All I'm saying is that the Riot """""desktop""""" client runs visibly worse than Discord, while not even being as bloated. Purely performance wise Discord is at least bearable, Riot.im makes me want to claw my brains out. The devs have selected a development platform they have no idea how to optimize and on top of that see no value in developing natively and the performance benefit it gives.
>Either way, it's one client of many
Other clients aren't any step above typical IRC applications, may as well continue using IRC if there's no support for media.

It has always been doable

>What do you guys have against WhatsApp exactly?
ironic shitposting is still shitposting

>Also, fuck XMPP with a rusty knife, the fucking client fragmentation is a crime against humanity.
I love xmpp, use it everyday and have been run my own server for over a year.
But unfortunately, you're quite right about the client mess. It's gotten better, of course, esp. for Gnu+Linux systems. We have Gajim, of course, but also Dino and profanity. They all work well and support OMEMO, which for me is a must. But: the situation on iOS is just sad. ChatSecure, Monal and Siskin IM are a joke compared to Conversations.

>Other clients aren't any step above typical IRC applications, may as well continue using IRC if there's no support for media.
What do you mean by media? All types of file transfers or just voice/video?

The advantage of Matrix over IRC is that it's also a good instant messenger.

Actually, how does Matrix fare in terms of ip address transparency? One issue with IRC is that you can see everyone's ip addresses. That's actually a decently sized reason for using Discord. Imagine the average Discord user being able to see your IP address. DDoS would be prevalent as fuck.

>They all work well and support OMEMO
A while ago my certificate ran out before I had time to renew it.
Ever since, I cannot transfer files over Gajim anymore. Conversation actually works, but for Gajim not even a reinstall has helped.

>what makes it more secure than Telegram and WhatsApp
Telegram has a worse crypto and isn't fully open source. It's metadata isn't encrypted. The chats aren't encrypted by default.
WhatsApp is fully owned by Facebook so it's more than likely that your messages are readable by the company. It leaks metadata like crazy. They're cooperating with intelligence agencies.
Both require a phone number so they're unusable if you want any form of anonymity. Both datamine you.

Also, Telegram's implementation of encrypted chat prevents you from using multiple endpoints, while WhatsApp routes everything through your phone, even when using the desktop app.

Just use GNU Jami.
>decentralized
>completely free, libre and open source software
>everything is encrypted
>supports instant messaging
>supports voice calls
>available on all major platforms (gnu/linux, windows, ios, macos x and android)
Why haven't you taken the Jami-pill yet?
jami.net/

Attached: animation-home-android.gif (415x845, 1.29M)

It's GNU.
What I expect is that I will need to memorize a twenty letter long alphanumeric string for each of my contacts, which I'll then need to convert into punch cards in order to establish a single connection.
Connections will persist permanently but resuming a connection will require me to type the temporary session key from memory.

Also, the code will be fucking unreadable. GNU is the nexus of autism.

I'm really not shitposting. Jow Forums is the only place I've seen cast doubts on WhatsApp's security.

Have you posted about it on dev.gajim.org/gajim/gajim ?
The dev's are usually pretty helpful and want to get to the bottom of things.

>The dev's are usually pretty helpful and want to get to the bottom of things.
Huh, that's a first.
I might actually do it then. Normally I don't bother because devs tend to be systemd-level troglodytes.

jesus calm down dude. it's real easy to use

> No AppImage provided
Fuck off

Just download the apk

Honest question: do you actually use it? Or do you just namedrop it here, because you've heard of it, and it - like many things - looks nice on paper?

Pic related

Attached: Riot.png (1533x977, 78K)

Telemetry has to be opted-in.
If you mean stuff like perspectives and whatnot, you can disable most of these features and they're being phased out anyway. It's entirely possible to hosts-blacklist matrix.org and vector.im domains and your Synapse installation will still work by itself.

Godam, Barbara.

What's wrong with Chatsecure or Monal? I want to get all my friends over to XMPP.

Also bump I guess

Link?

only if jitsi integration worked better. screen sharing doesnt even work on the desktop client.

You can make your public username >=20k characters long in riot lmfao.

As expected it breaks everything gloriously.

I have been maintaining a Synapse homeserver for 3y using LDAP of all things.
It's literally just a pip install.

Not sharing my services with you autistic Jow Forums fags.
Catch me on IRC :^)

You're either larping or genuinely autistic. nick?

Have you been living under a rock?

Have you? Just the other day a bunch of "legal experts" and judges were begging the government to ban encryption because criminals were using whatsapp and they were unable to collect their messages to use as evidence.

You can set up a server in under a day.

>It's literally just a pip install.
Oh yeah, I forgot that it's python-based.
You need a fucking supercomputer's worth of memory to run this shit, if you aren't repurposing bare metal hardware.

Wrong. You can add a user name that others can add you with

Riot is shit and so is matrix, my friends only receive like 75% or my messages and the rest of them somehow can't get decrypted because my client didn't send them the key or some bullshit, I'm sticking to wire for now even though it's garbage too.

why are you retarded?

If you and the other people were on different homeservers, it might've been the UISI bug that happens when one of the federated servers is unavailable for a bit, which was fixed in Synapse 1.3 a few days ago.

matrix *
riot is just a client, buddy
matrix is the most advanced communications protocol that exists, by leaps and bounds. And it's much newer than others (which isn't a good thing) but the hilarity is how much further along it is when being so new.

I've ran a matrix server for over 2 years and it takes about 5 minutes to "setup a server" fucking retard

retard alert

not to mention you can't end 2 end encrypt with any of the fucking clients reliably cross platform, either.
Conversations is the only thing XMPP has going for it, and it's 7 times older than matrix is.

There's an Ubuntu/Debian apt repository and there's an option to let it autohandle getting an HTTPS cert using acme in the settings. It was always doable if you could read documentation and follow basic instructions though.

For users, your IP address is only revealed to the homeserver and identity server providers. Which, assuming you self host anywhere but your home, means that information would not be visible to other users.

For those of you who are interested in Matrix but don't know where to start, check out halogen.city for a fully functional, diligently maintained homeserver.

It's gotten much better desu but you do need to qet up postgres instead of the default sqlite.

riot doesn't have voice notes, signal does

Halogen cities owner blocks communities etc, there are tons of others that allow you to do whatever you want.
Matrix.org
nerdsin.space/
riot.thisisjoes.site
riot.kiwifarms.net

>block communities
Communities can't be formed by users, but you can request one from the administration. The only purpose communities serve is to display group memberships and group rooms together; it doesn't stop users from making rooms at all. The Matrix homeserver for Joe's site is down, by the way.

What's the benefit to hosting your own server instead of using the given ones?
You can still talk to people on other servers, right?

Yes, Matrix is a federated protocol and as long as another server hasn't deliberately blacklisted your own, DMs and rooms can exist between the two.

Alright, thanks. So what's the advantage of selfhosting?

t. iodine himself
fuck you faggot

How are you supposed to discover rooms in matrix? I have a matrix.org account, I was trying to figure out how to see any halogen.city rooms, but none showed up in the room directory. But when I registered a throwaway on halogen.city's own riot instance, then I can see their general channel.

What's the point of federation if I have to make separate account anyway?

In room directory on right side is the homeserver and then matrix.org and if you click the bottom drop down you'll see matrix.org but that is a SEARCH not a drop down, it is in the [todo] to fix that
you can click the dropdown where the text is and use it as a SEARCH of the homeserver you're interested in

Thanks. All I ever seem to get is
>Riot failed to get the public room list. Internal server error
though, the /publicRooms endpoint is bugged i guess.

Also, I fucked around with the the "communities" thing in riot and it is awfully confusing, compared to a discord "server" or slack instance. I searched around in some of the main channels, and all the advice/questions are met with "yeah we're reworking communities soon(tm)" and then there are like 5 bugs in the github tracker, all untouched for years. I'm hopeful for matrix/riot as a protocol, but it's got a long way to go, polish-wise.

I know communities is getting a massive overhaul as well as the roomlist searching. They're very early stages right now.
matrix's development is much faster than other things and it's far, far more advanced and more difficult due to the decentralization.
If you don't like shit or want to complain it's a good idea to just not use it at all and sit in a corner for 10 years.
It's already far ahead of everything else:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-UlA4-tslROBDS9IqHalWVztqZo7uxlCeKPQ-8uoFOU/edit#gid=0