Help me make the switch to Linux, bros

Srsly, I'm sick of Windows 10, and I really want to make the switch. I had some reservations/issues, but I can work through most of them. E.g.
>switch to Dropbox
>change my backup external hard drive from proprietary WD Unlocker shit to regular hard drive password-protected by Veracrypt (I don't need to encrypt, just password-protect, it's documents and family photo backups)
>get used to the gay top bar on GNOME

but there is one issue left and I don't see how I can get around this one:
I wish to block incoming and outgoing connections for a specific program - it contains too sensitive data, and while I need to use it I also need to block it from internet access. inb4
>hurr durr if u don't trust it don't use it lolololol!
>just read da sauce code trollolololol!
I have to use it, it is vital to my computer life.
And no one with an actual life (work, side business, study, family, health and fitness) has the fucking time to sit down and pore through source code with every update. I can't even read code, I'm not a coder! So I just NEED TO block this one program from the net. It is a foss program but still, I can't just trust DA COMMUNITY on this one.

How do I get around this problem, bros? For all Windows's faults, it actually has a native firewall with fine granular control for per-program inbound and outbound rules in different scenarios. But my understanding is that no Linux has something like this. So how else can I block this? I was thinking maybe open and use it in a sandbox. Is there some kind of Linux equivalent to Sandboxie?

I'm on the brink, bros. This is the last hurdle. But I have to block network access for that one program, the way I currently do on Windows. No ifs, no buts.

Attached: sandboxie.png (708x752, 214K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall
gufw.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Linux has a firewall that can block programs incoming and outgoing. Well, Linux Mint does anyway.

Welcome to the club user.

>get used to the gay top bar on GNOME
You don't have to use GNOME user.

For the distro just use Linux Mint (Cinnamon). The UI is similar to Windws 7, lightweight and has a preinstalled firewall that you can use.

HONTOU NII???!!! Mint already has it?
Is it easily configurable for a Winbabby? Or do I have to type hacker on steroids shit into Terminal?

I have no interest in becoming a hacker on steroids, I have other things to do. I'm only switching because I'm sick of Win 10 bloat and forced updates and downloading 10 million things in the background all the time that have nothing to do with what I'll ever do on my computer. I'm sick of fighting my OS. I want something that just works and will leave me alone for the most part. I only have simple needs anyway. And if it works, switch my family over too eventually.

Although desu I could even do CLI shit to configure this if it's only a one-time thing. Aight hol up, lemme read up on Mint.

Attached: gobbeldy gooker frog.png (784x645, 39K)

Mint is easy af, just go for it like the others said

Is Mint the only one that has it?
Or is it something already in every Linux, but only Mint ships with the GUI by default? And if so, is it easy to install the GUI on the other Linuxes like normal Ubuntu?

Sorry bros I know a lot of questions, I really appreciate your help.

Attached: 1561422939636.jpg (921x883, 85K)

You mean, switch to the GNU OS by the GNU project. You can't switch to 'Linux', because it is only a kernel, and in this case, it is the kernel to the whole GNU OS.
It's GNU Mint.

you're as bad as the SJWs who police people for their language

Yes, generally speaking if it's in one distro it could be in another one. The thing is sometimes it comes pre-configured or with some patches to become more stable in their own environment.

Differences in distros today seems to be about package managers and init system. Don't worry about that at the moment.

wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall

It's cli but it's made for retards so you should be able to figure it out.

Also, a little search give me this:
gufw.org/
Dunno if its the default but at least it's a GUI to control UFW (Uncomplicated firewall). Ubuntu installable by default.

based
thanks guys, I think this was the final obstacle

I won't do it today, I have some things to do first like switch to Dropbox, and buy plain external hard drives and password protect them with Veracrypt then wipe the propietary WD Unlocker ones, and then probably buy more plain ones and make a double backup. Then image my current Windows computer as is in case I decide it's all a big mistake later. But yeah, this is it. I think I can escape Windows.

I honestly wouldn't have bothered if I was still using Windows 7. Yeah sure it's botnet etc but I'm not trying to hide from da gubbamint. It just werked.
Windows 10 is a clusterfuck nightmare though, I just fucking hate it. Not even for the botnet (although yes it's expanded and worse), but all the bloat, the tablet interface shit, the forced updates when I'm in the fucking moddle of something (I can't even leave my computer on and unattended for a while while I cook, without it fucking updating and retsarting without my consent). Did I mention all the fucking bloat, all those stupid meme tablet and graphics design shit I'll never use? All downloading and installing even though I don't want it. Microsoft really fucked up if they drove away someone who isn't even concerned about botnet. Well done, retards.

Attached: apu thumbs up.png (720x644, 67K)

>Is it easily configurable for a Winbabby?
Yes.

>Is it easily configurable for a Winbabby?

Attached: HomeNetwork-Firewall.png (535x481, 13K)

Are you actually in need of some apustus? Of course debian/ubuntu has gufw.

tanks frens. i'm ready to make the switch now.
just gotta do some things first.
and decide between Mint and Ubuntu, and which DE.

I actually asked this on Jow Forums nearly 2 years ago, I tried to make the switch then. But nobody told me Linux had this, everyone just piled on me
>hurr durr if u don't trust it don't use it lolololol!
>just read da sauce code trollolololol!
>GTFO winbabby!
>lol u don't need a firewall looooooooooool git gud faggot AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
So I forgot about it and stuck with Windows.

Attached: 1561510702834.jpg (1024x962, 67K)

You really shouldn't come to Jow Forums for linux advice because that is usually all you get. Friendly linux general might be an exception.
But anyway gufw (or just ufw) is pretty much as simple as you can get. Pretty much just press a button and you are done.
Mint with cinnamon would be the absolute safest option for a linux newbie but I would recommend going with xubuntu just because xfce is very customizable, pretty solid and very "windows like". You might run into some screen tearing issues with that though but they are pretty easily fixed.

Hey OP, I don't want to demoralize you, but keep your expectations low if you're going with Linux.
I say this, because I'm afraid you'll find out how much it sucks (in many ways) and it will backfire and turn you into a Windows fanboy.
Don't discard Macs as an option, even though we all know how gay Apple can be and how much they charge for things like extra storage.

Also, Mint tries to be "noob friendly" to the point of sacrificing polish and even security aspects by being bloated with crapware.
It's one of those "all in one" mentality distros that just tries to cram everything because "babby might need it, we must make babby happy".
Just stick with Ubuntu, because it's one of the few if not the only generic distro that is taken seriously by software/driver makers.

I wish you good luck. Maybe you'll find Linux good enough, maybe you'll even help push it forward as a desktop alternative (nothing would make me happier). But in case that doesn't happen, keep an open mind for Macs. Anything is better than supporting Pajeetsoft and their anti-user attitudes.

I do agree with you at least to a degree but anti-user attitude is something that I do associate with apple even more than with microsoft.

>anti-user attitude is something that I do associate with apple even more than with microsoft.
Why is that?

have patience, you can pick up a book or something on linux administration to learn some terminal basics, because while most configuration for a desktop user can be found in gui, it gets much much easier and quicker with terminal once you know what to do, and most annoying shit dissapears after tweaking the ootb settings once after an install.
Protip for a begginer, do not mess around with partition mounting at boot, especially if you dual boot with windows, the easiest way to make a system unbootble (at least to a level that a new user wont know how to fix) is to unknowingly force it to mount something stupid by following a guide too literally or something.

install gentoo, and all your problems magically disappear

Just fuck off shill

Unless you're running your application a network namespace, and you might as well containerize the whole process at that point, there is nothing you can do. At best you can run the command as a different context without bind or connect privilege. In terms of ufw, I don't believe netfilter has an actual per process (including all children under it) filtering capability. Maybe it can stop application x, but does it stop application x from creating a curl child process and having that send data?

Tl;dr stop running garbage you don't trust or learn to containerize or isolate the workflow.

Please don't listen to Jow Forums for Linux advice. Too many people coming from Windows install shit like Void and Arch and go "hurr durr Linux is only for wannabe hackers!!1!!1"
Go with default Mint (Windows-like) or Ubuntu (Closer to Mac but unlike either).

>can't install Linux on main drive due to "security" chip
>soldered-on everything (CPU, SSD, RAM)
>blames user for every failure ("you're holding it wrong!" "you're using it wrong!")
>scams people out of thousands of dollars for unnecessary repairs and overpriced parts
>can't access underlying filesystem in iOS
That's off the top of my head.
>inb4 "but muh ultrabookz!!"
Amazing thing about Windows/Linux is you actually have a choice of what machine you run it on. See .