Hi Jow Forums

Hi Jow Forums
what is preventing us to transfer our consciousness to a hardrive or an programm? Iam researching it now for some years and didnt find any answears....

Attached: stack.png (723x405, 280K)

mostly lack of understanding on how consciousness works or how brain stores memory.

Take your meds

Because our brain uses a completely different system/architecture to process information than a traditional computer, which means you'd need to build an emulator. Not only would this probably require a supercomputer due to the extreme complexity of the brain, but it would also actually require us to understand how the brain works, which we don't. Like, at all. Psychology is still at a primitive "look at statistics and draw broad unscientific conclusions" state. If we don't even know enough about the brain to cure most mental illness we sure as hell aren't ready to write a fucking emulator for it.

hmm but there has to be a way...

what's preventing it is that we don't know enough about how it works and even if we did we don't have the tech to properly build something like this. also consciousness isn't the configuration but the interaction of that configuration, if you store shit on a dead drive you may preserve memories and such but the instance will be lost.

Attached: harold.jpg (640x640, 53K)

chop my head off and put me in a jar. thanks.

did you drop out of middle school?
technology isn't anywhere near being advanced enough to even scratch the surface of anything like that

yes yes but still

I mean theoreticaly you can store informations in the most primitive way (Binary) So the informations of the brain (impulses) can be "mirrored" in electric on-off signals (as said binary)

still what, you bumbling retard?
there's nothing else to add to this.

yes but one can dream...
Dont hear the voices which say no,
embrace the madness!

this user is correct
and no interfaces exist for accessing memories, it may be pretty much impossible

read nigga read!

because merging with ai computers is an abomination to god

just for a frame of reference, how old are you?

so.....
then how else can we cheat death?

which god

that seems quite nice....

Attached: 1558279053454.jpg (1139x1600, 602K)

older than your gf

> Iam researching it now for some years and didnt find any answears
you mean you read an article or two
you're not researching anything, you talentless fuck

>make copy of your brain
>think this makes you immortal
>in reality you're entirely unaware of the existence of your copy
>you just die like normal
>the copy isn't you, its another entity entirely
When will scifi fags learn

if it looks like a man does
and it dresses like a man does
and it dies like a man does
its probably a man

why don't you try it and find out?

I bet slanesh or khorne

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

genetic manipulation
we can alter our dna to allow for an infinite life span
but this would only apply to those born with that dna

holy shit you're a fedora wearing euphoric faggot, aren't you?

I

>but this would only apply to those born with that dna
hmm, so no cyberpunkesce future,

I mean, thats no scifi, just use electric impulses to create a binary file, you know 1 and 0

i'm not even a christian, i'm just pointing out you're a genuine idiot

when you come to realize why you have rejected all gods but your own, you will then realize why i reject your god

just say whats your name and adress, then we can decide

impulses in the brain are analog, not binary

Reminder that the first tech will probably be able to copy, but not transfer.

what are you gonna do send me flowers

thats just like your opinion man

you can store the configuration yes, but my point is that you need something to be able to access and process that information, we don't know how to do either the conversion process to data or the conversion process back yet so we can't do this. in theory if you wanted to store on a drive and then transfer you'd have to make sure that whatever reads the information is identical (or made identical by some intermediary process) to what it was written from otherwise it will be nonsensical. it's like a book doesn't do anything until someone reads it, and then imagine every book is written in different languages.

think of two people trying to communicate, one person thinks of something and wants to let the other person know, they think of the words that best describe that thing to them and say them. the other person hears those words, and then thinks of whatever those words best describe to them, slowly narrowing down the meaning as more words become available. communication is complicated. basically if you want to transfer someone's memories to someone else (or even the same person but later to a degree) you'd have to find out how to find out people's "biases", factor them out to make a bias-less store of info (which would probably mean nothing to anyone by itself) then find a way to factor it again using someone else's bias factor and only then would that person be able to understand those memories.

and then there's the issue of how the hell do you actually get the memories integrated into a running system? shit's hard

Why? He left me because I wanked too much, he was afraid of all the semen demens

we don't even know what consciousness is nor where it originates from

it's not an opinion, it's a fact considering the mental heights you reach in this thread's replies and the OP itself

The electrical activity of synaptic connections doesn't detail how they're actually interconnected, user.

realy?`But I think you can recreate the impulses in some sort of morse code

hahaha jesus dude

>everyone who doesnt believe in god is the op

yes...flowers...

you have zero understanding of biology, zero understanding of technology
why did you even bother making this thread

well thats the point, I try to find some sort of solution

thx bra
that sound

first step would probably be to fully map and understand several people's brains, specifically the areas you want to preserve

you're trying to find a solution despite knowing nothing about the topic?
where's your lab located and how big is your research team?
how much goverment funding per year?

unless by "trying to find a solution" you mean debating sci-fi concepts in your chair?

>first step would probably be to fully map and understand several people's brains, specifically the areas you want to preserve
I mean.... where can I get some volounters?

ideally this wouldn't be an invasive process, otherwise idk... the homeless or a morgue? lmao

my lab is located in Europe
Research team is about 3 constant members
We are currently in discussion with governments if you want to know it exactly...

what lab equipment do you own?
MRI chamber would be an absolute minimum, and those probably cost at least a million

But i need some kind of nvram xD

at least try to make it believable

>MRI chamber would be an absolute m
Its more lend and lease, we have eeg ecg and a supercomputer. We get founded form the local techuniversity partially and have access to many medtech-equipment

fine. dont believe me :P

>we have a smartwatch as a heart rate monitor and my uncle's Windows XP laptop, and we're meeting at my high school after classes
fixed that for you

post a single thesis you've formed
post a single bit of research
a single picture that isn't grabbed off google images

oh wait, you won't because you're a dirty LARPing faggot

What kind of background do you have? Do you know any kind of computer science? Do you have even a passing comprehension of the biology involved?

As a start, try reading Von Neumann's "The Computer and the Brain."

look at the OP and you'll know the answers to the questions you asked
i mean, even disregarding grammar my point still stands

I was being kinda rhetorical, but that book recommendation was genuine. At least OP can know how far out of his depth he is.

Because we have no fucking clue how to make a brain simulator. I think the first step will be successfully interfacing with the brain, and copying memories to external storage.

Anyhow, what's the point if your body is dead? Who the fuck wants copies of some chantards mind wasting precious storage space for shitposts. When your original state of being will is dead, creating backups cannot be considered preservation of life.

Attached: repet.png (558x749, 719K)

wtf dude you sound insane

You're brain is just a part of your entire central nervous system. Just as consciousness can't live without the brain, the brain cannot live without the body.

The average person simply isn't worth the resources. Modern first world citizens are raised as consumers from cradle to grave. They exist to buy things they don't need that have manufactured obsolescence. There's no reason to preserve these eaters consciousness beyond serving their purpose as consumers and tax payers. Even in the realm of creators and supposed geniuses it doesn't fair much better. High IQ just resolves down to enhanced pattern recognition and spatial abilities and nothing inherently special. By the time backing up consciousness could be viable A.I. will be doing these things more efficiently than their meat bag counterparts. In the end it will be reserved exclusively for the ultra wealthy and for extreme innovators and that's it.

immortality is a curse, even if we figured out how to do it it would be a ethical nightmare

The only viable way to replace consciousness would be to replace the brain over time, with a cascade of augmentations that completely replace the original organ.
It's logically possible, but science and philosophy are nowhere near understanding how consciousness works.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x762, 76K)

that's not an argument

Oh my god this has to be a troll thread. Holy shit.

The lack of even a vague theory on a way consciousness might actually work?

>what is preventing us to transfer our consciousness to a hardrive or an programm?

the fact that the act of even conceiving something so retarded and complex is literally not worth it? Just cope with the fact that your knowledge, experiences and everything fucked with your mind that makes you, you, is 100% replaceable already.

you post humanity fucks are fully retarded.

You stupid fuck, how are we supposed to transfer shit if the best we could do is copy ourselves onto the drive and kill ourselves afterward? If we wanted to transfer ourselves to technology then we would need to answer the question of essentialism.

Just ship-of-theseus your brain if you're so worried about that.

There probably is a way, I doubt we will figure it out any time soon.

Each brain is somehow unique, of course it has an architecture but that architecture has another one build specifically for you.

the answer is there is no essence, the machine will see itself as a continuous self that is You, when it isn't, just like we see ourselves as a continuous self when we wake up, but it's just memory playing tricks. There's no way to transfer our "essence" because there's no essence to transfer.

A single drop of DNA holds more memory than all the world's computers combined.