Ok, I want to self teach me CS

ok, I want to self teach me CS.

But I hate math and wasting my time.
So, let's do the following mental exercise.

What would be the path to learn CS starting from advanced topics and ending up on the basics at last.

Like I first want to learn about machine learning and artificial intelligence in an overall sense and see, hey, maybe I need here this X topic from linear algebra or hey, this integration from calculus is usefull here.

I'm asking this, because I think that's how I learn things, I don't like to learn about math because my brains goes wtf is this BS about, this is useless and has no point, is a waste of time, so I lose motivation because my brain thinks such topics are useless.

Maybe I was thinking that learning first the advanced topics is a better idea, since that way my brain could see a need for them and be interested and motivated in learning them.

Attached: 874.jpg (240x193, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ossu/computer-science/blob/dev/README.md
automatetheboringstuff.com/
teachyourselfcs.com/
geeksforgeeks.org/java-sqrt-method-examples/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wow

kys

CS is math you retard, any higher level programming is going to require math

If you find these roundabout ways to learn math then you're gonna put it off again when you're supposed to do them in your plan. Just do the fucking math and you've got it accomplished and it won't bother you in the back of your head all the time

Motivation is a meme. You just don't have enough discipline. Learning advanced topics on your own is INCREDIBLY hard, you have to consistently do something everyday, even if you dislike and find something stupid.

Math is the opposite of a waste of time. That's practically its definition, the thing which you learn if you want to stop wasting your time.

CS is applied math.
ML even more so.

This kind of retarded. The people here are right, you need math to do "full" CS. But you don't really need "full" CS to be a programmer or have a job.

Maybe you should tell us what your goals are?

>Learning advanced topics on your own is INCREDIBLY hard
Sure would be nice if there was a self-study course for CS math that went from say, algebra, all the way to advanced circuit telemetric differential lobotomics, or whatever the final math-pill is.

I want to learn first what are the uses cases for all the math topics from calculus and linear algebra first.

I literally can't study calculus or linear algebra without feeling is a mental masturbation for retarded nerds.

t. non-white

well look at illustrator or blender and tell me that doesnt have a shit ton of math.

more of an humanities guy, I've literally spend hours learning about XIX century veterinarian history.

I know.

but when they teach linear algebra they don't teach you hey, you need the dot product for this and this, is just learn a bunch of math that my brains goes, this is all mental masturbation and is useless.

>I literally can't study calculus or linear algebra without feeling is a mental masturbation for retarded nerds
Fucking kill yourself you narcissistic brainlet

I'm 130 IQ, so not a brainlet.

I've tried to learn CS math, but it just feels useless boring mental masturbation.

Computer science is a subset of mathematics, you cannot be a programmer without mathematics. You can write boilerplate for $10/h at most.
No, there are no shortcuts for getting a high paying job. Even if you do, you'll solve different shit every day. There is no niche you can fill in the job market by learning specific formuals from specific subjects and calling yourself a programmer.

Fucking kill yourself you narcissistic brainlet

you act like as a brainlet, you are a brainlet

You're not entitled to be taught the usecase of each subject. In fact, that would be a crutch. You are supposed to get a ton of mathematics in your head, entire systems of thought, and realize patterns as they come. You are just a dime a dozen scumbag who wants to cheat his way into my $200k line of work. Not happening.

>130 iq
>couldn't pass babby calc 1
lmao

not looking for job, looking to make my own games on ASM.

would you like to help me faggot?

My brain doesn't like math.
I need to have a purpose to be interested in learning such topics.

Like I wanna code my own AI twitter pol racist tay clone

math feels like useless mental masturbation.

I can't open a math book, not because I don't understand but because I lose interest because I don't see a purpose.

calc 1 is literally algebra but about motion nigger.

not hard.
just very boring.

>not looking for job, looking to make my own games on ASM.
So learn assembly. It's easy.
>I don't see a purpose.
Of course you don't, you're a poser, a play-pretend.

Goes in all fields lads, also will close in 3 seconds...

>Jow Forumstard is a brainlet
like poetry, every time

I just want to know first the uses cases of the math.

You just have a problem with poor math education. Most teachers usually teach math concepts before teaching the problems that they're supposed to solve, as opposed to the other way around, which is much more didactic. This is a problem all over the world, although American education is particularly bad at this.
Don't start with ML because it will make no sense to you. Learn Calculus and Linear Algebra but whenever you feel like a concept is useless, DO look it up and see which problems they're supposed to solve. Try to solve the problems before learning the concepts (solve practical problems, not the ones that are testing if you know the definitions), you'll get stumped and realize that you need a new concept to solve that problem, only then you should learn it.
To be fair, you look like a bit of a brainlet so this self teaching approach will probably fail to you. Just go to a good university like a normal person: you're struggling with math and yet you've decided to go the self study route with CS, that's just stupid.

Attached: 2019-08-17-103536_408x165_scrot.png (408x165, 12K)

I'm not struggling with math.

I'm 130 IQ.
My issue is that math feels like ultra dry boring mental masturbation with no real purpose.

That's idiotic and completely ass-backwards. Go try and "program" what you want and when you realise "Damn how do I make ", then look it up in math textbooks. How do I put antialiasing in my game, it's like that thing with the pixels right, how hard can it be?
Retard. Cretin. Fuck off my board.
You're just too stupid and undisciplined to sit the fuck down and study. You're an instant gratification primate.

>looking to make my own games on ASM
>Like I wanna code my own AI twitter pol racist tay clone
>calc 1 is literally algebra but about motion nigger.
Nope, you're a brainlet. Sorry, internet IQ tests don't matter much.

I know how to code and I'm looking to study CS because I'm stuggling to implement anything worthwhile in a game engine?

Like I wanna know something like:
Hey, the dot product is useful to get the angle between an enemy character and you so you can check if the enemy can see you in a FPS.

That would be an amazing reason to learn dot product.

But no, math teachers goes like: hey, you need this boring shit, learn it, it has not real application so I dunno, just learn it.

calc 1 is just derivatives and finding the XY values of linear equations on graph.

not hard.

again, my issue isn't finding math hard, my issue is that is as boring as watching a wall paint to dry.

>i-it's not hard, i could totally learn math if i wanted to but i-it's just so boring haha
>i-is there any way to skip m-math in order to learn cs guys, i'm not a brainlet haha

Attached: 1555718995174.png (403x448, 53K)

I don't find math hard.

I just find it so boring.

if youre interested in making games look into the a* path finding algorithm.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 188K)

I already code it on java, godot and unity.

why do u niggers keep thinking I find math hard?

Cope more retard. Dot product is not used to get the yadda yadda...
Dot product is a map from two elements of a vector space to a number from the number field. Period. That's all.
What's next, cross product is for triangle area? It's also used to calculate directions and forces in magnetic fields.
Like I said, you're just an instant gratification monkey.
>I know how to code.
I fucking doubt if, if you want to make games in assembly and AI for .

If you find it boring, just quit. Or jump into your programming "projects", realise you have no idea where to even begin (you are here), and start learning math from level 1.

>But I hate math and wasting my time.
Learn to love it, or you won't get anywhere with this.

nigger, I don't care about learning math, my issue is that I want to know why I am learning such topics and how It can be usefull to me.

I want to know the point of learning such boring topics.

Oh wow, the angle of line in a linear equation, oh wow so interesting, a fucking line and four variable, how interesting, why don't you nigger tell me it can be used for checking the slope of a 3D mesh so I can check if mario can run over it.

var angle = (position - enemyposition)

I literally use that formula everywhere yet I haven't studied math, and got told is linear algebra.
I don't even know the name of such formula.

I don't want to say that there are no shortcuts, but to get truly good at CS, which is really just math applied to telling computers what to do, you just have to learn to like the topics. You could probably take a shortcut, but that won't lead to a robust or detailed understanding of the subject. It'll just lead to misery because you don't actually know or even like what you're doing. There are other ways of doing it, but the best way is just to jump down the rabbit hole.

Attached: Vigne_holds_Concepts_of_Programming_Languages_by_Sebesta.png (1163x943, 620K)

>but about motion
I think rate of change and area is a better description :)

t.mathlet

my issue isn't learning math.

I'm asking to learn CS in a backwards sense starting from the more advanced topics to the basics.

Why? That will probably make things harder since the advanced topics rely on the basics

I>'m asking to learn CS in a backwards sense starting from the more advanced topics to the basics.
And that's exactly what I gave you, did you even open the link? just do the courses from bottom to top and that's it.

Because that way I'll be motivated when I see the basics since I'll know why I'm learning the basic topics.

Like I need integration to do robotics or machine learning.
Or I need stats to do AI.

It could be a very weird method to learn but that's how I learn most things.

That's your job as a computer scientist, to realise where and how to utilise mathematics. You are not entitled by any amount or by any means, to be taught readily where and how to apply which math. If you want such an experience, you have to pay the premium - go and look for personal tutors who will answer all you dumb questions as they come up.
Who would have thought that game engine devs and high-level game devs study for 5-6 years. Smarter people than you have tried to cheat their way and so far it doesn't work.
That's impossible, you can't prove a theorem without knowing axioms. You can't understand and assimilate what a complex logarithmic function is without knowing about complex numbers.
Stop trying to cheat the system, you can't skip math. It's vital and you're being a stubborn teenager about it.

brainlet

Attached: Einstein.png (381x300, 98K)

If you want motivation, grow up and man up, or hire a team of psychologists to support you in your life. Otherwise, you're pissing in the wind. Nobody cares about you and nobody is obliged to teach you some imaginary bare minimum so that you can somehow make a polished turd at best.

I think I'll be more interested in math if I learn first what problems do they solve rather than learning a bunch of topics I see no point in learning.

I don't like math, so I'm trying to find ways to find math interesting.

Sure, friend, see
I can be your tutor for.... ohh I don't know... $50/h. Grow up you manchild. Go and program your own game in assembly, see how far you get.

its okay op i hate math too.
Luckily all the mathfags have already done all the heavy lifting for us after decades of them making libraries.:P

I want to learn math, in a honest way.

I think math education sucks.

It's like learning to draw by focusing on holding the pencil and looking at pencils.

> t. gatekeeping asshats that think they're superior human beings because they know math
First person in this thread you should listen to
> This kind of retarded. The people here are right, you need math to do "full" CS. But you don't really need "full" CS to be a programmer or have a job.
When scrubs say they want to do CS, what they often mean is "I want to learn about computers and programming". You do not need any math skills above algebra to learn about computers and programming. "CS" is a misleading name because it's as much about math as it is about computers. If you don't want to learn math, you don't want to learn CS. You want to learn practical computer skills and think those skills are called "CS", which they aren't. But instead of explaining the distinction, the bunch of clowns on this sub would rather just insult you without even telling you how you're wrong. Don't listen to most of the people in this thread. You don't need advanced math skills to make a game, learn to program, build a computer, or whatever else you probably want to do. You only need advanced math if you want to be a computer scientist, which you clearly don't want to do.

github.com/ossu/computer-science/blob/dev/README.md

the reason why is because other people did the maths.
you cant even get a sort by popularity on a website without math if youre starting from scratch.

No, it's like learning basic shapes, gauging distance and ratios, different stroke techniques, and most importantly the realization that everything in the universe can be represented on canvas by a sequence of the former.
What you want is to learn to draw a specific $1 vase, an interpretation of your face, and how to redraw a shaded apple from a common "Now you do it" book for 4th graders - then go on to call yourself a Picasso. It's idiotic.
No I know what you're going to say, your posts are coping mechanisms and excuses.
Sit down and s-t-u-d-y.

that's probably an important thing for artists

Attached: 1489182723182.png (657x527, 193K)

maybe, but again, that will make me motivated to learn the math, knowing I NEED to learn to do X Y to do Z W that will allow me to do cool shit.

>ok, I want to self teach me CS.
>But I hate math and wasting my time.
stop!
1. install windows 10
2. dont learn CS anymore
3. dont post here

>b--b-b-b-b-b-b-b--b-but m-m-motivation
Are you fucking 8 years old? Serious question.

Yeah, but why does that matter? Programming is not a solo endeavor in any real sense unless you created the OS, compiler, and programming language you're using from scratch. If you're building within a preexisting framework you can (and should) use math libraries that are made by people smarter than you and time-tested for bugs.

how am I going to learn if everytime I try to learn I quit because the topics seems to be mental masturbation with not real application?

yes, yes, finding the values of two linear equations, yes, yes, very important.
but why?

why should I give a fuck about finding the values of two variables in a graph?
Not a single math teacher cares to teach me that.

>why do i need to do x
maybe kode with karlie is more your style?

The answer is, you shouldn't unless you have a practical reason to. Ignore the people in this thread and just make something you're interested in making. Learn as you go. Use an easy language that abstracts away boilerplate if necessary (i.e. Python, etc.)

>why should I
Because right now you are worthless in front of a computer, that's why. Reality check, you have no idea what you're doing. Another reality check, if I tell you the secret to fast collision detection is gaussian lines and complex radius of convergence - based parallelisation, what would you do? Nothing.
You're just a dumb poser. Like I said, go and make a game in assembly and see how far you get. Then go and learn the math that's missing.
Oops! How do you know what math you're missing unless someone on stackoverflow tells you?
Oops! Why would he know what's best for your use case based on out-of-context and generalised descriptions?
Sit the fuck down and learn a bachelor's degree worth of CS.

> go and make a game in assembly
Why the fuck would he do that when Unity/Unreal/Godot/GameMaker exist? This is the exact kind of self-important circlejerking I'm talking about. No need to reinvent the wheel when you can just use some code other people made. You don't need a degree to do most of the stuff he's said he wants to do.

He literally said he wants to make his own game in assembly. As well as some mystical A.I. that no PhD on the planet has made progress into formalising.
I want to make my own electric car with 500 laptop batteries and a 3D printer that uses molten lead and tungsten. Coincidentally, I don't know how electric cars and 3D pritners work, so it seems simple to me.

>Like I first want to learn about machine learning and artificial intelligence
no. you first need to learn the absolute basics.
automatetheboringstuff.com/
how do you expect to use those libs if you don't know how they work? people did the implementation of square root function for you but you still have to know how to use it and what for.

Attached: 68618317_2082161825412358_6246601431734812672_n.png (545x785, 473K)

probably cause you keep asking beginner questions?

I want to know first the more advanced cool topics so I know why do I need to learn calculus or discrete math first.

If you passed middle school you should know how to use the square root function

I'd be happy to tutor you, $50/hr.

op, clearly, didn't.

Write me your personal generic implementation of a square root in [ code ] blocks right here.

nah, I'm going to look up a CS curriculum online, maybe those self teach CS degrees and start from the more advance towards the basics.

teachyourselfcs.com/
learn math, it will help you even outside of CS stuff.

Then go fucking do it. Don't come back crying later how you need to know 100000 theorems to understand this one genius 3-liner. Or how you've read said theorems but you don't understand them, because you don't understand their proofs.
Or how you need to be motivated because you don't have a degree, nobody wants to hire you, and you need money to pay rent.

Why? Just use the built in one for whatever language you're using. I said I knew how to use it, not implement it. Like if you're using Java:

import java.lang.Math.*;
public class Whatever
{
public static void main()
{
int x = // user input;
int ans = sqrt(x);
system.out.println(ans);
}
}

There you go, there's your square root program math mr math genius.

>But I hate math
why?

maybe I will faggot.

because math education is done by soulless drones with no personality or charisma.

math teachers are the most boring NPC I've ever met.

Square root is not a discrete function but a continuous one defined over all reals. You misused it there.

>because math education is done by soulless drones with no personality or charisma.math teachers are the most boring NPC I've ever met.

WHaT?AT?T and what does that have to do with math? you can ignore all of that by taking a math book and reading it...

Math teachers are there to do one job and one job only - to walk you through and explain theorems, the proofs behind them, and solve exercises. You are supposed to be the one with personality and charisma because you are supposed to apply math to earn money. If you can't do it yourself, you're clearly not good enough.

they never explain things like the history of the topic or why the fuck do u need said calculation.

again just study on your own, you don't really need to listen to them

>learning things to earn money
yikes!!!!

that's what I've trying to explain all this thread, faggot.

Just cast to double before passing in the number then. I would have figured that out in 10 seconds if I actually had Java on this computer to compile the thing.

>that's what I've trying to explain all this thread, faggot.
sry i don't waste my time reading 100 post about a fucking brainlet faggot

Because it's dead wrong to teach mathematics - the most generalised and verifiable system of proofs and analysis - as a system to solve temporary concrete problems. If you want such a personalised experience, hire a tutor (if you can afford it one day).
You only earn money because you find problems, solve them, and get thanked in cash.
sqrt is already an abstract array of floating point numbers, which casts to basic types by itself. In this case it casts to integer because that's what you use. You can't store a double in an integer.
That's why I asked you to write your implementation, so I know you know what you're doing. You don't.

IDK what you're talking about, it accepts a double according to this method.
geeksforgeeks.org/java-sqrt-method-examples/

>the op asks for examples where you would use math
>nobody can come up with examples
>they call him a brainlet

sorry, but I want to learn math to do cool shit like a crypto trader bot, a tay clone to trigger liberals on twitter, my own game engine, ASM demoscene on retro consoles, a proper japanese grammar checker to proofread my shitty japanese.

cool shit, not your gay math dumb linear algebra shit.

>the bunch of clowns on this sub
I don't even know who is trolling who anymore. God I hate this place.

>I want to know first the more advanced cool topics so I know why do I need to learn calculus or discrete math first.

Calculus and Analysis is a meme for CS. You should know it, you lazy fuck, but you don't actually *need* it.

What you ideally want is domain-specific knowledge from a paralel or related field to get further than a junior shitter, fortunately for you there's a fuckton of domains to pick from nowadays. Unfortunately for you, the worthwhile ones are going to be harder to learn than math.

If everyone stopped working the moment they lost motivation the world would never function. You need to see things through even if it's boring the hell out of you. Otherwise you become a boring person who will have nothing but regrets on your death bed, having become nothing

>dude math is super useful
>can't come with examples why such topics are needed
???

99% of STEM losers are simpletons who can't even make math seems cool.

It really is a clown world

>I hate math

Never gonna make it.

I already pointed out you need math for path finding in videogames.
You say you know about the A* algorithm but you don't understanding it.
Also players walking on irregular shaped slopes and the game physics of course.
Like in Halo when you're driving the warhog.

I learned such topics by googling how do I do X in a game engine.

I'm not telling you that it's necessary, just that it's basic enough that you should know it.

Other than that, have some:

Shaders. You need to have a good knowledge of how to manipulate a whole load of data in a SIMD manner to get the result you want.

Or here's another one : Euclidian Geometry and Matrix Operations for anything remotely related to Game Development / AR / XR / CV-Related .

Or here's another one - DSP - you generally want to know discrete math and analysis as well as transformations.

yes but if you knew how to make them from scratch you could do anything and wouldn't be restricted to the libraries.

What is:
Fast Fourier Transform
Applied Economics
Machine Learning/AI
Weather Prediction
Stochastic Processes
Cryptography/Coding Theory
Statistical Analysis
Control Theory
Sorting Algorithms
Computational Geometry/Computer Graphics
Collision detection, physics, etc.